Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Patriot is an Amazon Original Series from Steven Conrad, who has done a few films, most notably the excellent The Weather Man with Nicolas Cage.

It is a show about a man who goes into a "Non-Official Cover" position at an industrial piping company in order to prevent Iran from attaining nuclear capability. Alternately, it is a show about a folk singer who occasionally has to kill people.

More articulate people than me have called it "indescribable", and it's true. It fits into no genre neatly, aside from possibly the overly nebulous "mumblecore" style. It's so much more than that, though - heavily serialized, almost every episode is showing you flashbacks from different POVs, or flash-forwards, that slowly reveal this is far from a simple story. As things go on, things get more hosed, and by mid-season I genuinely had no clue how any of it would wrap up.

Also, I need better ideas for the thread title.

e: And imgur is down so I'll add some pictures later. If I feel like it.

e2: :siren: Netflix Spoiler Rules Apply: Do it like this:

s1e6 I can't believe Leslie had to eat all those muffins by himself

precision fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's something I was actually wondering about, if they actually shot it in Luxembourg, and man does it look good.

Vodos posted:

The thing with our driver's licenses (and IDs) is real and happens all the time.

Ah, so DMVs being terrible is a worldwide epidemic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would hang out with Cool Rick. Ill Communication is my jam.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just finished episode 9, that was the most amazing thing ever. No idea what will happen but I'm about to find out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The whole plot with Ichabod was a great example of why this show is so good. The payoff was incredible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
God yeah, that was so cruel. And the followup later: "Is Charlie there?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder how many takes that roshambo scene took, because drat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I started a rewatch last night and it's even better the second time around.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Stephen, lol

The best part about that is you think it's just a one-off funny joke scene to set the show up, but no, like everything else it becomes a full blown subplot through the whole show. The interactions with his therapist were so great, she was just the right combination of "pissy" and "caring" that so typifies All Nurses Everywhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When Cool Rick tells the story about the Beastie Boys concert, it was magical. Just imagining Terry O'Quinn repeatedly getting bopped on the head with an inflatable penis made me smile.

e: If/when we get a second season, I hope there's more about Cool Rick being a Congressman

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The attache running gag was the best. "Do I get a badge?" "Can I make a badge?" "Yeah, I'm an attache and poo poo. Here's my badge." "Yeah they stole all my attache poo poo!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

He really is the best. The herpes and it's oh-so-convincing follow up video is one of my favorite parts of the show. Laughed so hard.

On rewatch, one of the many many small details I loved is that his karate Facebook pics have "0 likes" and "0 comments".

Now that there's gonna be a season 2, and considering I think they're likely to stay with the same cast for at least a while longer, anyone else suspect that it will be revealed that Leslie orchestrated the whole "bankruptcy" thing specifically so he could step up? There may even be clues that this is the case and I missed them, because the show does go out of its way to show us that, barring something massive like bankruptcy, Leslie was never going to get promoted.

Kurtwood Smith is doing a great job and it would be an interesting way to keep him around if John found out his secret.

On rewatch it also struck me how brilliant the casting for "Muslim Terry O'Quinn" and "Muslim Cool Rick" was.

Also on rewatch the most insanely sad thing is the suicide scene with "Double Great". Man that slayed me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

I also just watched a great new movie with a similar dark and violent comedy vibe like Patriot. Free Fire is the name of it, I think anyone who loved this series would also love this.

Thanks for this, I'll watch anything with Sam Riley and/or Cillian Murphy and they're both excellent in it. The middle dragged but the first and last 30 minutes are fantastic. Great little flick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OH yeah that's where I'd seen the guy's name before! Yes, Kill List is phenomenal, I really need to rewatch that sometime soon.

:ninja: edit: Ah and hid High Rise too, solid

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was officially renewed on April 18th, with most/all of the cast returning (more Leslie, yay!)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cool Rick and Muslim Cool Rick would be my first picks, but I would totally have a beer with Dennis. He's a solid bro.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just occurred to me that it would be hilarious if the guy that John is always having message board arguments with is his dad or Muslim John or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LloydDobler posted:

I'll start by saying I absolutely love this show.

There's one tiny tech glitch in the first episode that smacks me every time. Kurtwood Smith pronounces fillet weld as fil-LAY weld, when in the industrial world it's pronounced phonetically, like fill-it weld. But all the other phraseology they use is either real and correct, or fake and hilariously realistic. As an engineering nerd who notices poo poo like that it's deliciously satisfying, and makes the one little error easily forgivable.

Basically, given how great the jargon is, I'm surprised that error slipped through. I'd chalk it up to pilot episode.

I sincerely thought every piece of piping jargon in this show was made up :psyduck:

e: it took me a second watch to realize that the mission that John fucks up in the beginning that gets him sent to torture was to kill "the physicist". I even briefly considered that there might be some kind of time loop fuckery going on

precision fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 22, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WrightOfWay posted:

One thing I don't get is why John checked the bag full of money instead of taking it as his carry on.

All carry-on goes through the X-Ray machine and they'd see it was full of money and have many, many questions (you have to declare over a certain amount of money and have a good reason for having it)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first time I watched the show, I somehow missed the scene of Ephraim jumping off the roof. :shobon:

"We can sit in the handicap section now"

The lowkey best part of the show is the story of how Cool Rick met Your Mom.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's also meant to be implied that Cool Rick and Your Mom still have an "on again off again" sort of deal going because there's never any mention of Ephraim having a stepdad or anything, and from what we see Cool Rick and Your Mom still talk on the phone like constantly.

e: We know he's been a Congressman since Ephraim was born, so when he met Your Mom in DC, he was already set up in Texas, so it may have been a thing where she didn't want to marry him and move to Texas

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

Your Mom and Ephraim were also shown in scenes at the family home with Dad while Cool Rick was overseas, so it seems extra silly for the parental/relationship subterfuge. I have a feeling that Dad is the reason why Cool Rick isn't married to Your Mom yet, whether it's Dad wanting him to remain publicly single and childless for political purposes, or Your Mom not wanting to marry til Cool Rick starts acting like a true adult and stops letting Dad dictate his life for him.

Someone said that, to the extent there's a "villain" on the show, it's Papa Taverner. While I don't agree that he's a "villain", I can see the logic behind the sentiment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think "Cool Rick" might derive from "Slick Rick", since Eddie is a big rap fan.

I'm almost positive John is the older brother but only by a year or two based on the opening.

wormil posted:

One thing that confused me was John smiling when he shoots Leslie.

Probably because it's the one time he actually wanted to shoot somebody

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Powershift posted:

I really like this show. The Steve Tchoo/nurse interactions constantly get me.

I thought it was a really crazy coincidence that she uses the phrase "locker room talk" since I'm 99% sure it was filmed well before the election cycle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know it existed, but I hadn't heard it used in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I know what you're thinking. Why Twizzlers?"

Still the best recurring gag/plot for me.

• Locked thread