Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

"doctor please help my forums are too well coded"

vittu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Sometimes I just wish Obama would come out and say "Yep, all these things are true. Sharia Law is now in effect. We're going to kill all white people. Now my wife (who is really a man) is going to round up all your kids and force them to eat literal garbage while I surround myself in burning bibles and pray to Mecca."

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
pcos bill is the best poster in pyf

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
pcosbill is a good poster

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I wish that Newman was high enough res to be my avatar.

the max av size is 180px * 180px these days

e: you could also ask some goon to make a gif that zooms in and out, i'm too lazy

Hogge Wild has a new favorite as of 21:29 on May 22, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Nah. Lions and tigers are actually both fairly safe when tame. Not as safe as cheetahs, safer than leopards, far safer than jaguars.

Germansimp posted:

And you can easily scare the crap out of them if your own stealth skill is high enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17I4AcBgqCw

do tigers or other big cats get scared by cucumbers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0oAviNffIE

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Elizabethan Error posted:

This isn't the 'be lovely to your cats' thread, and they probably don't react to things that look like snakes in the same way.

your not my real dad!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Elizabethan Error posted:

thanks for your valuable input, dude who's posted less images overall itt and as much time 'policing content' :downsbravo:

try posting fun pics

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

which forum did he moderate?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

Not a funny picture, but the space that astronauts most frequently inhabit has a very high temperature, up to 2,500°C (4,530°F)!

Everything above 100km is considered space for the purpose of international law, and the Thermosphere can get quite "hot", but it would still feel cold. Humans don't feel temperature, but instead we feel heat transfer. This is why you can stick your hand in a 450°F oven but not in 450°F oil. I mean, you can do either but you might regret the latter.

You can be hit in the face by a jet of 2,500°C particles and have your face melted off or freeze off depending on how many particles are hitting you per second. If what is hitting your face is good at transferring heat because it's dense (like the 450°F oil) it will feel much hotter than something bad at transferring heat - like if it's low density like air or like silica foam space tiles:

These are actually 94% air by volume. That chunk is a very high temperature (hence the red glow) but it's not going to transfer that heat into your hand when you pick it up. You're only touching a very small amount of the hot particles, and the edges have already had 10 seconds to cool off while the inside is still slowly transferring its heat outwards.

Reverse the scenario - you can have very very cold things not freeze you to death. Frozen ice cream balls are tiny for a reason. They are much colder than normal ice cream, -50°F instead of 0°F. This is why they delightfully stick to your tongue for a second, the melting sensation perhaps not entirely worth the :10bux:. If they were larger (or if you took a very large spoonful) then your body's ability to rewarm your tongue before pain or frostbite might be insufficient. Think of it like this:

Yeah, that's a large, dense, solid object. Lots of heat being pulled away from you.

So how could space, with 2,500°C particles, freeze you to death? Transferring heat occurs via conduction (two things touching), convection (which is honestly just fancy moving conduction) and radiation. It's the radiation that kills the space man without a space suit. While he could be swimming in a bath of 2,500°C particles, they're only giving him a tiny amount of heat. They're the Dippin Dots of boiling your face off. If that's at one end of the tug-of-war trying to slooooowly heat you up, the other end is The Incredible Hulk pulling heat out of you via radiation, though not the gamma rays that gave him his powers. All objects radiate heat. You sitting in a room lose heat to radiation, but you also gain heat from radiation coming at you from your surroundings. If your surroundings are radiating enough heat back at you, like in a comfortable room, you hardly notice radiation because it's a net zero.

If you're sitting in front of a bonfire, even if the wind is blowing the hot air away from you, you can feel how unbalanced radiation can get.

If you're in space, completely surrounded with low-density, high-temperature particles, you will lose heat via radiation far quicker than gaining it from the intermittent smack of 2,500°F particles, and you will die. That is, only if you're too far from other sources of heat, like the Sun! I can't check the math, but Space.com states that at our distance from the sun, the normal equilibrium of radiation from the sun and radiation away into space is 45°F. That's an average, of course, and if you've got something nearby shading you from the sun (like the Earth) or other local effects it gets much colder.

If you wanted, you could calculate how close to the sun you'd have to be for the sun's radiation in front of you to match your body's radiation behind you. If equilibrium is 45°F at Earth's distance from the sun, there's a sweet spot orbit closer to the sun that space would feel like quite a comfortable temperature. That is, until you take into account heat and water lost due to evaporation...

cool poo poo thanks for posting

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Zesty posted:

A few of those are clearly fake and even if you claim they aren't, you think Racist stereotypes are okay if someone else says it about themselves.

It's the same thing. I know this makes you uncomfortable to have someone suggest you're crossing a line. Don't stress it. Just recognize it's racist stereotypes that you're sharing and maybe it's not as okay as you thought at first glance.

Agreed. PYF is racist and should b e closed.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

I love Donald J. Trump

He's a good president.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

and i'd only heard good things about paying for sex

well yeah, ur mom made a shitload of money

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

This is my hole! It was made for meow!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Say Nothing wants to gently caress cartoon characters.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

m'ladybug *tips snail*

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

you masturbate to this

are you saynothing

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The MSJ posted:

Movie rules. Also that dance goes with everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpnWwqwwkTU

There are 15 videos of this last I checked.

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Milk is also white so of course they love it. But yeah, technically speaking you're supposed to lose your ability to digest lactose as an adult because, you know, milk is for baby things. Europeans have a lot of land that's good for grazing so dairy became an important food which led to Europeans keeping their ability to digest lactose into adulthood.

It's stupid as gently caress because that isn't limited to Europe. There are parts of Africa and Asia where herding is a huge freaking deal and dairy is a staple of the diet. The Mongols and Maasai I can think of off the top of my head as cultures that consume a lot of dairy. I think it's also not a genetic thing.

it is genetic, that's why it's spread to groups that herded many cows historically. the indos got it from their nomadic days

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JoelJoel posted:

So many words. Thread sucks again.

nah

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

Early Christians were convinced that Jesus was returning very soon to destroy the Romans and usher in the messianic age, so they were very into the idea that the afterworld was actually just this world only perfected. To that end they were careful about entombing their dead so that when that happened the bodies would still be around to be reborn into eternal life. Until then it was assumed that everyone’s souls went to Sheol, a place very much like the Ancient Greek underworld, to wait around for their return. Only after it became obvious that Christ wasn’t coming back any time soon did they start thinking of stories explaining where we go and what we do there after we die.

when did the dead turn into harp playing winged haloed people in robes

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Angels are horrifying abominations in the eyes of man.

A giant flaming wheel made of eyes. Grotesque, and misshapen.
It's why when angels appear to certain people they say " Hey dude, dont be scared. Im not here to smite you"

Like, most Old school angels are some serious Lovecraftian poo poo.

yeah i know, the og angels were cool

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Former DILF posted:

Actually the prechristian Romans practiced cremation, it’s believed to be derived from the Etruscan Flaminate

etruscan graves are really cool

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Informative posts on early Christianity are more entertaining than whining about it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

gap.zip

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, so He is holding your hand when you are masturbating.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Memento posted:

Raccoon in a liquor warehouse.

https://i.imgur.com/Zc02dnv.mp4

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

wrong thread

no, that's behind it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

so that's what croc wieners look like

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Busket Posket posted:

The only worthwhile part of a linguistics degree is the discussion of vowel movements, donkey sentences, and proper labeling of your PP and DP.

Merry Christmeauxs

thanks and same

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MizPiz posted:

Bold strategy to try to get conservatives to support public transportation

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
oh lawd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

500 good dogs posted:

don't forget the part where one of like three people to post funny pictures in that span was probated for posting a funny picture

ahahaha

why on earth was that probeworthy