Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It was created to prevent larger states from dominating every election. Rhode Island was the primary state behind getting that through. Have no idea how you bring slavery into this.

RI was also a big player regarding slavery in the North, so it isn't too far off.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Trip report: Great for brittle hair but dries your hair out like you wouldn’t believe. It has placenta extract in it, not fresh from the womb.

Not joking, African hair care products are named some wild rear end things. I have a jar of hair mayonnaise that I use weekly.

And don’t even tell me about my favorite soap, Dudu-Osun. It’s even a lovely shade of brown :nexus:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Honest question: is it just regular mayonnaise marked up as a hair care product or something specific for hair?

The latter - though many use egg and oil and it works just as fine.

I don’t have natural hair, I relax it, but this meme sort of best describes African hair care at times

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tears for Fears posted:

They’re words and pictures. They don’t hurt you or anyone else. If you don’t like them, look away.

We did this in 2009 and in 2019 needless to say, it hosed up and now we have literal neo-nazis spawned from 4chan. I can think of 14 specific words that have done sufficient damage.

Try again sweetie.

E: content time

teen witch has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Jan 2, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Oldstench posted:

"Anime isn’t all hentai and it’s ok to watch it sometimes, so lighten up"?

“Look officer it’s ephebophila and furthermore - “

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The Bloop posted:

The better response to learning that even a POC who lives in a whole different part of the country experiences a dumb phrase as racist is probably "oh I didn't know that was legit seen as racist sometimes, my bad I'll stop using it"

Unless you are somehow super personally attached to that particular meme it seems like a really dumb hill to die on

It’s not so much “this is AAVE and you can’t have it, piss off honkies” and more “this type of thing is used to be lovely to black people online, because it’s 2019 and of course it loving is.”

Should you be more interested, here’s articles that kind of get into what’s going on. While I personally hesitate to call it specifically digital blackface, because in this instance it’s slightly more muddied with the meme, it’s the closest word I can get:
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/digital-blackface-reaction-gifs
https://www.ussc.edu.au/analysis/what-is-digital-blackface
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jul/08/why-are-memes-of-black-people-reacting-so-popular-online

Alternatively, you can laugh and resist any sort of minor personal change or reflection, because that’s what goons do, and do well.

Sucks that the meme is saddled with this baggage because that is one chonky baby and is loving adorable.

for relevant content:

the meme police
they live inside my head
the meme police
they come to me in my bed

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still have no idea where the absolute unit thing even started. Like, was "absolute unit" a math term that was applied to something before it got applied to a big fat guy?

It’s British English - my coworkers say it. Absolute is an intensifier.

Cue “APPROPRIATION SEE??? GOTCHA!!!”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I see no god up here

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lodin posted:

Cucked, lol.

Buying into a lovely right wing meme, lol.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
how fast are they going everyone?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

And you can gush it all
My empire of spurt
I will let you down
I will make you SQUART

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
ahem

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Gaukler posted:

Takes a while to get used to the canned corn on absolutely everything, though.

The Swedes are also into what they think is Mexican food which is a bastardisation American’s bastardisation of Mexican food.

Cucumbers. Underripe avocado. Mexican “pita”. Too mild.

A+ for effort, Come see me after class for execution.

E: there are one or two places that can hack a dece taco or burrito in Stockholm but holy poo poo even Taco Bell would do gangbusters here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have that pic of that dude who’s just chillin with puke on his shirt like it’s NBD, that’s my go to goon party image

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you. I forgot there were two and both sum up my feelings spot on

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If I wasn’t busy I’d be making a character select screen with these holy moly.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve been to a few in Stockholm and have met some really nice people and gotten drunk? Am I doing this wrong? Am I not to socialize?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Over the past century there have been many tales about smuggling butter/cheese in many countries, especially when the European borders were more restrictive.

In Russia's case they like do things like block the import of Dutch cheese after the Dutch said that Russia was responsible for shooting down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (because they supplied the surface-to-air missile). Russia couldn't admit that, because they totally weren't involved with pro-Russian rebels on the Ukraine–Russia border, duh! So they said "no, you lie!" and blocked the import of cheese and other things.

In the year afterwards several Dutch producers of cheese suddenly had to deal with robberies of their cheese supply in the middle of the night. Odd, isn't?

I’m lactose intolerant but this weird international cheese politics thing is loving fascinating.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Believe you me, I know :negative: thank god there’s so many laktosfri things here but Jesus it’s unnerving how much dairy is a thing here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

:shrug: someone bought it for me after someone gave me an insanely racist one

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Manhattan is hot garbage with occasional piss, as it’s always been. It’s a distinct odor.

Providence is piss, weird booze stank and occasionally “this came out of a once living creature”. I’ve seen more than three people take public dumps like it was NBD.

Boston - piss

Sydney was more just a summer stank with occasional fruity alkie breath

Stockholm is moist grandparents basement in subways and overall piss wafts depending on where you are. Nothing beats going to work and walking by a passing train and getting a nice blast of piss scented steamy air. The trains themselves aren’t too pissy but they have a stank.

London is a urinal

San Francisco was a seaside piss blend, salty?

Anyway for content

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0El9hSd4Es

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Billy Porter is a god damned legend and can do no wrong.

https://twitter.com/70Ceeks/status/1221589195573145600?s=20

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

anatomi posted:

In Sweden on Midsummer we dance around the maypole and we sing a song called "Små grodorna", or "The Little Frogs." This stupid, stupid song and the image of their drunk adult relatives stumbling around to it are deeply ingrained in the heart of every Swede.

Here's a translation:

"The little frogs, the little frogs are funny to behold.
The little frogs, the little frogs are funny to behold.
No ears, no ears, no tails do they have.
No ears, no ears, no tails do they have.
Kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack ack kaa.
Kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack ack kaa."

The reason I'm relating this is because the melody is based on an old French marching song, of which the Brits changed the words to make fun of their frog-eating enemies.

Hardly any Swede is aware of this origin of "Små grodorna" — and no one knows why we started to sing it, or why we keep doing it every loving summer.

I was literally wondering that last night. Been here over four years and haven’t seen a drat frog yet there’s that song dancing around to totally not a dick pole

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

anatomi posted:

That's the flimsiest and greatest reason to drink cognac I've ever heard lol. Amazing.

Welcome to the Finnish People

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Woebin posted:

"Stick pics" was right there. If you're gonna make bad pun-adjacent jokes you ought to stick to your guns, otherwise it's really going to bug people.

I will find you and shame you for that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Going on year 18 of my goth phase and so far it’s pretty cool, fun music and black is always slimming. Never too late to come hang with us

Seriously though, self expression is fun? I like how I look and I feel more comfortable that way? Sometimes a gal wants to listen to The Danse Society and have a nice time dancing with friends?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does Swicthblade Symphony count as goth? I never quite knew how to classify them, but they ruled.

Yes holy moly does it ever. They’re incredibly goth.

blatman posted:

can I be an honorary goth if one of my playlists is like 4 hours straight of diary of dreams or is that the wrong genre

I will paint my fingernails black if it helps but i'd like to keep the hawaiian shirts

I’ll allow it. Don’t even need to paint your nails

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm an old rivethead, so I had a lot of overlap with the goth scene in my younger years. I've had some really fun times at goth parties, but there are also those times where I had to sit and listen to some seriously god awful poetry in a candle lit room that wreaked of dargon's blood incense for hours on end.

I got into goth via industrial so god do I know that pain ever well.

Like candles yes but if I’m hearing spoken word drat near anything it’s naptime for this bat

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Woebin posted:

We talking about goths in here? Here are some pictures of goths that could be considered mildly amusing, perhaps.

Goofy goths own. Overly self-serious goths own.

This is why I love you

This might also be why I’m making a goth thread

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Lotsa goths in this thread. Maybe it's because I always saw myself as a punk and a rebel, but I hated you goths. It always seemed so cliquey and performative to me.

(What's that? A bunch of teenagers forming cliques based around similar musical/fashion tastes? And a different teenager who was excluded from that clique getting pissy about it? Such a thing has never happened.)

The line I used to use to make me feel superior to you was to accuse you all of thinking"I am going to be different, so I will dress exactly like all those people over there with their black lipstick etc. That'll show the world how clever and unique I am.". I was a pretentious arsehole as a teenager.

I have matured ever so slightly over the last few decades, but black lipstick and heavy eyeliner still trigger something in me, and I am back to the snotty arsehole I was at 15.

image tax:

Well come on over to the gibbis goth thread and idk, hang out with us! It isn’t goths you hated, it’s just teenagers being jerks. We’re all mostly adults, some of us spectral beings, I myself some form of seaside hexcrafter.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939732&perpage=40&noseen=1

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Inceltown posted:

Having spent a bunch of time in Stockholm, the capital of Finland, I'm not sure why the regional Finns are so conceited. They're just hillbilly Scandies.

Stockholm? Try an hour west.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, content, yes. Here have my favorite mind boggling slur.

Bigotry so hyper specific yet so lazily done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012