Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Cartoon Man posted:

Is that the origin of :gooncamp:?

Oh god, if only it were that wholesome.

2 goons hooked up at a goon meet in a forest. They got jiggy in a tent, but forgot that a) nylon tents are not soundproof and b) if you put a tent infront of a bright light, such as a campfire, your silhouette can be seen by all.

Bascially this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-wiTLx0Qdk

But a fat girl taking it up the pooper, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX3iLfcMDCw

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Do any of these goons, or the puke guy(s), the forlorn goon looking at the lady in the basement, that neckbeard with the pipe, etc. in short, do any of those people still post here at all? I sometimes get the impression that people who were quite active here between 2000 and 2007 sort of disappeared. The most 'famous' goon.jpgs are all from that era, and technology back then didn't do them any favors either because while digital cameras were already a thing, most of them were poo poo and the average person was still very bad at making good photographs.

I've always held the theory that the more prominent the poster, the more likely they are to either burnout or get run out of the place.

Now I've realised that it's probably just that 10 years is a very long time to stay on a single forum.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Zipperelli. posted:

Doubtful. They're pretty good dudes, and also all drat near 60 years old. Not exactly the type of person who still tries to be "edgy"

Not to disagree with your points, but the video for 'Deutschland' was clearly a case of 'what can we do to generate as much publicity as possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQM1c-XCDc

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Zipperelli. posted:

I'll cede this point.

I guess I don't consider them "edgy" because that word has such a poo poo implication. I hear it and immediately think of lovely teens who do insane poo poo just to do it with no thought behind their actions. Rammstein is like, the "chaotic good" of edgy.

As I said, I don't disagree with you in general and I love them writing "Links 2-3-4" for the reasons you listed, rather than being coy and cashing in on right-wing followers.

and a related funny picture:
:nws:
https://i.imgur.com/obKffNP.jpg

quote:

Rammstein's new album Liebe ist für alle da was released earlier this month, but a press release has gone out informing us that the band will soon be releasing a special edition of the record. It comes in a metal case and includes five B-sides, as well as six dildos, each of which correspond to a member of the band. Just to ensure these dildos are put to good use, the box set also includes a bottle of lube and industrial-strength handcuffs.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Beachcomber posted:

I've often wondered if there's any use for pasta water, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. Use it to make soup or rice?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/f...a544642156e0662

quote:

Here are six ways it can benefit your home.

1. Watering your plants and flowers
Water which pasta has been cooked in is full of starch, which is often rich in minerals and vitamins.
That content makes it helpful for growing plants and flowers, so use it to water the garden.

2. Making your own pesto sauce
Most people can’t dive into a bowl of pasta without a spoonful of pesto.
The remaining pasta water can help you make it — ensure it’s kept warm and it’ll act as a bonding agent.

3. Making homemade pizza dough and bread
As the water retains some of the flavours and starch from the pasta, it’ll give your homemade pizza dough, or bread, a new and unique taste.
Similarly, use it to make broths or soups and you’ll get an extra flavour punch. It’s good for boiling vegetables in too.

4. Washing your dirty dishes
You might think using pasta water to wash dishes would leave them filmy, but the starch actually dissolves grime and acts as a natural cleaning agent.
All you need to do is leave dishes soaking in it for a bit first.

5. Soaking your sore feet
If you have sore feet at the end of a long hard day then this novel treatment might just be the one for you.
All you have to do is warm up your spaghetti water to a comfortable temperature and pop your feet in.
The heat combined with the minerals will soothe aches and pains.

6. As a replacement for shampoo
If your hair lacks shine or looks flat then soaking it in the water for 10 minutes could help.
After that shampoo as normal and you’ll be amazed at the gleam you get.
This isn’t the only cooking tip to sweep the web in recent months.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

zoux posted:

Yes but is there anything to do with my pasta water after I've soaked my feet in it

Sure, you just have to use it in the right order:

Shampoo hair > Wash dishes > Soak feet > Water plants

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't get it but I'm not sure I want to.

Just in case you don't get it: people here are trying to trick you into watching a Gwyneth Paltrow movie.

Which is really mean of them.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Flint_Paper posted:

Clearly a Nirvana fan

it is a cum-as-ewer

Boo!

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

MizPiz posted:

Specifically his diet of "food replacement" paste

Ooh. Now I get it.

I was wondering if that thing was some kind of sex device and feeling rather vanilla that I didn't recognise it.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Be good, I've already killed your family. This is your new one.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

jojoinnit posted:

Facebook just showed me the new 2020 modular meat shoe accessories

Is that a fancy case for an ankle tag?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

ultrafilter posted:

With goons, that's not a safe assumption.

Don't forget there's a front page article mocking women suffering ptsd after multiple miscarriages.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Christ! That burn was so so strong, just reading it singed my eyebrows off.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

If they'd numbered them '1,2,3,5' I would have given them a gold star.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

bike tory posted:

Christ, time has not been kind to Bryan Dawe

Arguably less kind to Clarke...RIP

(But I do know exactly what you mean)

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Captain Splendid posted:

Disappointed these were all different numbers

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the story with this picture anyway

My family christmas card.

Also, a textbook on 'deformities' (I think that was the term they used)

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

RandomFerret posted:

Belle is in the eye of a cacodemon? idgi

Lobok posted:

It's a D&D monster called a Beholder.

You got one.

Nicely done, I must admit.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Is this a meta picture post where you give the link and we create our own funny pic?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

grittyreboot posted:

That's odd. The link works for me.

Probably because you are a better poster than me.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Data Graham posted:

1) Why do photos from the 80s/90s look like they're from 100 years ago

2) I distinctly remember new photos (and video on TV, etc) from that era looking sharp and crisp and colorful, and photos like the above were "from the 50s"'

3) It's not because the photos themselves are aging, because I have scans of college photos that I made at the time that now look super old and crappy

Three answers for you, in reverse order:

3) Generally, it is because the photos are aging and the colours are fading.
You may have examples for crap photos from the time because it was harder to take good, vibrant photos at the time with the cheap camera/film that people tended to use.

2) Nostalgia is a hell of a filter: I've watched some high quality scans of TV from the time and it is barely watchable now (try it on YT - it surprised me)

1) 1980 was 40 years ago. You're old, dude.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Pookah posted:

I read a description a journalist wrote about seeing Johnson speaking at some big dinner, how he got up to the podium all befuddled, couldn't find his notes and ended up having to speak off the cuff, but it was very entertaining. Then the same guy saw him at another thing weeks later and johnson gave exactly the same 'off the cuff' performance.

It's 100% an act, 100% of the time

'Boris' isn't even his first name, or the one that he goes by in private. It's his political persona.

His real name is 'Alex', as in 'Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson'

There's no way this is an accident:

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

ookiimarukochan posted:

Boris is doing an act to an extent but he's genuinely a loving idiot - I've dealt with him a little over 20 years ago, before he was so famous, and in a business related call he was still an idiot. "Boris is secretly a genuis" is just a scam by the media to hide the way they're not criticising him, ever.
Oh, you are dead right, in fact this highly-intelligent poster was actually quoting me:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said before that his whole thing is that he's an idiot pretending to be a smart person pretending to be an idiot
This picture encapsulates the second half of the comment, but like you, I know for a fact that the first part is true.

I'd love to hear your experiences, if you are able to share.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Whybird posted:

Ted and Black Books are amazing and the IT Crowd has some good bits, but glinner's contribution to them is severely overstated: he's good at creating a part that fits a specific comedian, but most of the really memorable stuff from Father Ted and Black Books comes from said comedians ad-libbing and growing into the characters themselves.

Also worth pointing out that for Father Ted, his co-writer was Arthur Mathews* and Black Books it was Dylan Moran, whilst he was the sole writer for The IT Crowd and I think it's clear that these guys added the real magic to those shows.

quote:

Mathews has contributed to many sketch shows, including Harry Enfield and Chums, The All New Alexei Sayle Show and the Ted & Ralph segments of The Fast Show. However, it was with Father Ted (three series, 1995–1998) that he and Graham Linehan made their biggest impression. It debuted on Channel 4.[1][2][3] The writing partnership had previously co-written the comedy Paris[4] (one series, 1994), also for Channel 4. Both Linehan and Mathews worked on the first series of sketch show Big Train, but Linehan dropped out for the second series. Mathews has also contributed to other British comedies such as Brass Eye, Jam, Black Books and later Toast of London. H

Moo the cow has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Jun 27, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I cook that guy's food in that other guy's bed.

No wives involved.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

'Jaffle'?

quote:

The most common type in most countries are electrically heated counter-top models, and names vary from place to place: in the United Kingdom, the pie iron is referred to as a "sandwich maker", in Australia, it may be called a Breville after the appliance manufacturer; in Ireland, it may be called a "toastie maker"; and it is sometimes referred to as a "snackwich-maker" or "snackwicher" in South Africa. The term "jaffle maker" is also used in Australia and Indonesia

Much as I like and respect Aussies, could you stop using 5 year olds to name things?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

quote:

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F-IsXPOy1s

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Silver John posted:

For some reason I thought they were at home and calling grocery stores who didn’t have any cheese.

I’m rather confused as to why I thought that

I thought they were at home and the joke was that the next picture was their 4 children, not bringing them cheese.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think it had been established earlier that he thought he could call birds with that noise.

He was also incredibly full of poo poo.

Hey, give the man some credit: his silly sound did indeed drive away a killer parrot that an armed Navy Seal was losing to.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Solice Kirsk posted:

Swedish prison cells look better than most of my apartments. Toss a SNES in there and a bunch of lovely mystery novels and I'd be good to go for the rest of my life.

That human turd who did the mass shootings in Norway complained that Norweigan prisons violated his human rights, including the complaint that he only had an Xbox and not a PC with internet connection.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Paladinus posted:

What? I thought it was 100% people! What the hell else were they adding to it?

E141 Copper complexes of chlorophyllins (Green coloring)
MSG

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Is the goat the desired prize? I have never seen the show and am also not familiar with the value of livestock.

I'd prefer a goat over a filter coffee machine, but not a speedboat.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Moon Slayer posted:

Okay, I'm going to ask a question about this that I've always wondered about. We're going to have a short, civil discussion about it, and then move on. If the discussion becomes heated or lasts for too long I swear to god I will carpet-bomb this thread with probations like it's going out of style.

Isn't the answer to this really that it doesn't matter if the airplane is on a treadmill or not, as long as the airplane can get enough speed that air passing over the wing generates lift? Because my admittedly limited understanding is that that's what makes airplanes go up. My confusion about this mental exercise was that I always imagined "plane on a treadmill" as meaning that the plane did not actually move forward; the wheels just kept spinning on the treadmill. No forward momentum = no air passing over the wings = no lift.

You need to keep in mind that an airplane is pulled along by its propellor, not its wheels - unlike a car/bicycle, with which you are more familiar.

The wheels exist solely to keep the plane off the ground and - as long as the axles are frictionless - the treadmill has no effect on the motion of the plane.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

MizPiz posted:

What's wrong with classical wacky music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

How about hard rock wacky music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouxbu-bfbVY

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

There's an entire catsworth of hair in there.

It's still stuck to the cat, but it is in there and doubt it's doing much good for the airflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Hirayuki posted:

"Paddle."
"Poggle."
"Uh-uh."
:allears: This is extremely my jam.

Possibly the only accent that allows you to say 'tomato' seductively.