Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Forgall posted:

It was created to give more power to the slaveowners, but, you know, whatever makes you feel better.
It was created because they didn't want the president to be appointed directly by the congress, lest the selection be subject to deal-making in relation to other matters, or make the president feel beholden to congress. Hence, the electoral college was created as a parallel body which would be constituted to decide only that one issue and then dissolve.

https://www.congress.gov/resources/display/content/The+Federalist+Papers#TheFederalistPapers-68

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 08:20 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not completely certain, but I'm pretty sure the basics of the electoral college were already hashed out before the 3/5ths compromise was reached. Basically - we were going to have that regardless or how slave counting impacted it.

And yeah, the reason is that dumb small states wanted outsize power before they'd join the union, instead of actual Democracy.
The marvelous thing is that today, we live in an era of unprecedented access to information. You don't have to guess, or go on hazy memories. Records of the constitutional convention where the issue was decided are readily available.

As it happens, the first proposed status of the presidency was:

quote:

Article 10, Sect. 1. “The Executive power of the United States shall be vested in a single person. His style shall be ‘The President of the United States of America,’ and his title shall be ‘His Excellency.’ He shall be elected by ballot by the Legislature. He shall hold his office during the term of seven years; but shall not be elected a second time.”

There was one proposal to strike "by the legislature" and replace it with "by the people" - it was supported by the representatives of Pennsylvania and Delaware, the second-largest and the smallest state respectively, and opposed by the other nine. So no, it wasn't "dumb small states" who didn't want democracy; rather, it was the general consensus that didn't want democracy.

If you're interested, you can read the notes from September 4th-7th, in which the details of the election of the president were gradually hashed out, and see for yourself the concerns and ideas which motivated them, rather than these caricatures that we seem to hold on to today. There's even a general overview on the 4th:

quote:

Mr. RANDOLPH and Mr. PINCKNEY wished for a particular explanation, and discussion, of the reasons for changing the mode of electing the Executive.

Mr. GOUVERNEUR MORRIS said, he would give the reasons of the Committee, and his own. The first was the danger of intrigue and faction, if the appointment should be made by the Legislature. The next was the inconvenience of an ineligibility required by that mode, in order to lessen its evils. The third was the difficulty of establishing a court of impeachments, other than the Senate, which would not be so proper for the trial, nor the other branch, for the impeachment of the President, if appointed by the Legislature. In the fourth place, nobody had appeared to be satisfied with an appointment by the Legislature. In the fifth place, many were anxious even for an immediate choice by the people. And finally, the sixth reason was the indispensable necessity of making the Executive independent of the Legislature. As the electors would vote at the same time, throughout the United States, and at so great a distance from each other, the great evil of cabal was avoided. It would be impossible, also, to corrupt them. A conclusive reason for making the Senate, instead of the Supreme Court, the judge of impeachments, was, that the latter was to try the President, after the trial of the impeachment.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Sentmassen posted:

I'm not sure if I want this to be real or not. It goes hand in hand with my cynicism.
Real, apparently.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sure with in recent memory there were hordes of sci-fi spell swords that were slaughtered by clone armies and there was even official Senate minutes archiving the entire event, but Han "The Truth" Solo ain't buying that poo poo. He's living in the real world where there is no bullshit "force" except for those two dudes that run the entire galaxy that use it literally all the time.
In fairness, they were apparently no match for a good blaster at your side.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

I knew someone would bring that up. Gooooons! :argh:
Well, at least you've got that 132-column dot-matrix printing capability, right?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Not to mention that if this somehow doesn't work (and I don't see why it wouldn't), you could just disassemble the cassette and replace the magnetic tape.

Nah. Microcharges rigged to blow if the seal is broken.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Why'd they use a bad photoshop?
What's the original look like?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why is it that neckbeardy fedora types always seem to misuse commas in the same way? It's like they're trying to reproduce the awkward, halting cadence of their own speech.
Because it's making fun of them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Well, if you're talking to one in person, you should still call them Italian.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

trapped mouse posted:

Also, what's the deal with your gimmick? Why do you need to include a fact with every picture? Just start another thread for it if you like random trivia that much.
I like it. It's like two PYF threads in one.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It could also just be a more general "Death is certain."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

Why do cosplay photos always have dutch angles in them?
Bit of a stretch, but still, :golfclap:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

value-brand cereal posted:

IIRC it's a self insert of the current cartoon's director or artist, and he ships himself with the underage child character named 'Bubbles'. She's the ditzy blonde girl in blue.

They also recently had a episode about gender. It's just as classy and tactful as you may imagine it to be. A few breakdowns of it:

http://jitterbugjive.tumblr.com/post/142485553459/jitterbugjive-jitterbugjive-jitterbugjive

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-powerpuff-girls-20160401-story.html

https://unicornbooty.com/trans-episode-powerpuff-girls-transphobic/

quote:

Also: It seems interesting that the official episode synopsis (and LA Times article) refers to Donny as “Donny The Pony”, which strikes this reporter as the metaphorical equivalent of deadnaming or misgendering, if one can do that to a magical cartoon equine.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I'm familiar with the concept, but I also can't bridge the "appétit" = "gently caress my Ray Romano BluRay" gap.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dave Syndrome posted:

Jackie Coogan was the Kid in Charlie Chaplin's "The Kid". I once read a book about the making of the Addams Family TV show, and someone recounted how on some days he'd spend time in front of his make-up mirror in tears, lamenting "I was such a beautiful child once, now look at me". :(
Hell, who doesn't do that?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
The personification of that comic is begging for someone, anyone to finally let him die.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dienes posted:

Skinner taught pigeons how to guide bombs years before electronic guidance systems were in common use. Despite being accurate, the government felt silly and discontinued the program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon
Did it actually work, though? The article just says Skinner "had some success with the training," which is not the most ringing endorsement.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Malachi Constant posted:

From a couple of pages ago, but I'm totally putting a (less absurdist) version of this question on my test on Friday.

"If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long will it take to make 23 two-and-a-half egg omelets for 11.5 people if cheese is the limiting factor?"
If you say cheese is the limiting factor ("in the creation of omelets," by implication), then I at least would interpret it to be saying that the number of hens is a total smokescreen, since you're not limited by your number of eggs, but by your cheese supply.

Combining that with no further information about the cheese would make me say the question is basically unanswerable.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

You posted:

Not remebering what thread this was made me incredibly worried that someone would fall out. But it felt even better when everything turned out fine. :3:
Even if someone did, they'd just toss him back up there.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
What is "fauxtire," exactly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Falling for obvious satire is a sign that you have no idea what your opponents actually think.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Arachnea was so good at weaving that she said she could beat the Gods themselves. Athena was like "nuh-uh" and she was like "uh uh" so they had a weaving duel, and she did beat the Goddess so she was like "Well if you're so good at weaving then how about you weave for the rest of your life?" :smug: and turned her into a spider.
The good thing about Greco-Roman religion is that it didn't really suffer from the "problem of evil."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Ariong posted:

EDIT: Oh fine, content. This is kind of funny but mostly sad.

Wow. I was almost sure that this was going to be fake in some sense, but it's the real deal.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was going to say "Hyperbolic Time-Out Chamber".
I swear to god, that's the worst chamber in the universe.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

pidan posted:

Real vegans use Stevia anyway
They just make that from Steve.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Memento posted:

C'mon, what were you going to use it for anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGGfnLBTLdY

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

YOSHI CAN WALK ON MUNCHERS THIS COMIC IS INACCURATE AND FURTHERMORE
I mean it's still pretty rude.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

I read once years ago that zoologists believe "contagious yawning" is a sign of high functioning social instincts in animals. Which then led to the query of if giant tortoises are social animals as they tend to gather in the same areas. So they managed to train a tortoise to yawn on command, then they stuck him in a group and repeatedly gave him the command. Turns out tortoises don't give a gently caress how each other feels.
Perhaps the tortoises are simply empathic enough to distinguish between fake and real yawning.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Fahrenheit is superior for figuring out the temperature outdoors.
It's basically percentage of hot.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Ah, load-bearing code.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Historically (and today in some places) one could qualify as a lawyer by "reading law". Abraham Lincoln never went to university and was never articled to a firm. Instead, he got copies of the leading legal texts of his day, studied them, took the bar exam and became a lawyer that way.
Terrible. If there's one thing society needs, it's more gatekeeping by expensive institutions.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone on the forums once brought up the soft drink company (whose name, ironically, I can't recall right now) which used to have like 95% market share in the US in the early 19th century.

Their owner decided, "Why bother advertising, we own the market?" and slashed his advertising budget to almost zero. Apparently they were pretty much gone in just a couple of years.

People are stupid, fickle and have the short term memory of a puppy. If you're not in their face, you're out of their minds.

EDIT: This is why you read to the bottom of the page before replying:
Is there any evidence that this is true? It'd make (or, makes) a dramatic story, but searching for a simple "moxie stopped advertising" turns up nothing relevant.

Plus, I could have sworn I heard a nearly identical story about a toothpaste brand.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Master Twig posted:

Yes. Colgate did the same thing. Had like, 90% market share, stopped advertising, and now has only about a third of it.
Hm. That must be the one I heard, but I can't find any supporting evidence for that, either.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's not so much that they stopped advertising out of hubris because they owned the market and were high on their own farts, but they cut back their advertising budget because of the Great Depression and Coke and Pepsi overtook them in popularity.
Maybe emphasis on the "overtook." I can't see anything suggesting that Moxie was ever more than a regional drink.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

doverhog posted:

Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
That quote always bugged me. The metaphor of "god playing dice" is about randomness in physics. Saying "the dice are loaded" would be suggesting that there is a predetermined outcome, which means god's not playing dice at all.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

doverhog posted:

If I remember correctly, it's about quantum physics. How much sense it really makes or not is beyond my ken.
Yes, "god does not play dice" is essentially denying the probabilistic interpretation of quantum physics in favor of the "hidden variables" interpretation. "The dice are loaded" is a statement trying to put a clever spin on it, but it ends up not actually making sense given what's being talked about.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

doverhog posted:

Loaded dice don't always land a certain way, they just do it most of the time. Maybe that is the angle?
Then it's not really saying anything new; probabilistic quantum physics certainly doesn't say that every outcome has equal probability. The issue is whether randomness is in play at all.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I always interpreted it as "The universe appears to be random and non-determined but it's going to gently caress you over anyway"
Hah, well. Not much to do with the Einstein quote, but maybe the writer did have something like that in mind.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah. I don’t understand how that person decided extrajudicial barbecuing was a lawful act.
Harsh punishments for criminals is a very "law and order" position.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

There was the guy helping an autistic student who got on the ground and said "please dont shoot me"
The police shot him.
And he said "why did you shoot me"
The police said "I dont know"

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html

Like, you cant raise you arms any loving higher than this.
Plus side, the guy who shot was fired and criminally charged with negligence and attempted manslaughter. Case is still in court as of today.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

And he named a character after an actual critic of his and wrote him to be a pedophile iirc
With a very small penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

bony tony posted:

My only issue with the Witcher TV show is that Geralt doesn't have two swords. That's like one of his main things.
Two of his main things.