Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fetko posted:

My amazon preorder updated to shipping soon this morning with a delivery of Friday by 8pm, but i'm starting to doubt it. Can't remember a shipment this late to update before. Anyone else stuck in amazon shipping purgatory?

Mine hasn't updated from "Preparing to Ship" all day, and I doubt it's going to ship out later than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Novasol posted:

Amazon release day shipping: Not actually release day.

They sent the Switch via FedEx, which never, ever delivers to my house (it's at the top of a hill and they don't want to go up the driveway) so I won't actually get it until Monday most likely.

:negative:

Thanks Amazon. I don't even have an estimate. Unless they're sending a loving courier to get me my Switch then RIP my weekend.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I just got two emails from BestBuy... UPS says there's been a delay with my order of the Switch and Breath of the Wild and I probably won't get them until Monday. How did both Amazon and BestBuy gently caress this up?

:smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neither my Amazon order has updated and my BestBuy order has finally left.... Northern California and it's only shipped UPS Ground so yeah, I'm definitely not getting that this weekend. Time to chew out BestBuy I guess?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Real hurthling! posted:

Also speaking of looking bad on tv, the system ui is capped at 720 p in docked mode and looks so loving blurry.

They borked the hybrid design of this thing so badly

Wow, all of this sounds pretty rushed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LethalGeek posted:

Reading what they wrote it's a lot of theory by looking at video streams. yeah ok this is very telling :jerkbag:

Except they actually play the game and analyze their own captured footage for frame rate drops?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I got my Switch!

Not the one from Amazon or Best Buy online orders, but going to Best Buy 10 minutes before they opened and waiting in line getting one of the last ones that didn't sell at the midnight launch. Now I'm going to have 3 Switches.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They're.Still.Using.Friend.Codes.

What the holy gently caress.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So Nintendo's servers still suck cocks because it's taken nearly 2 hours to download Zelda.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why Nintendo didn't make the Joycons perfectly symmetrical is baffling, they're so god drat small that even tiny hands wouldn't have issues reaching the buttons/stick if they were lower down in tablet mode.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

I think framerate nerds might be just repurposed delusional audiophiles.

Zelda looks fantastic on my bigass TV.

Zelda also chugs like a motherfucker on my big-rear end TV. The game looks great but the frame rate just randomly drops every now and then. Some areas were almost unplayable for a couple seconds due to too much poo poo being on the screen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm not sure what's going on but my Left Joycon seems to have depleted it's battery completely even though it was attached to my docked Switch all of last night. Now that I've run through the battery on the Switch to try and charge the Joycons it only gave me about a 3 hour charge on the left one. Now it's dead and the Switch is docked and completely useless unless I plug the AC in directly. I really hope my Joycon doesn't have any issues with charging or the battery.

Also I just realized that the intake vents for the Switch are completely blocked off by the dock when it's sitting in there. Holy poo poo what a terrible design.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bill Barber posted:

There's a vent.

I mean, I guess you could leave the back cover open if you're worried about it overheating.

I didn't even noticed, sweet.

What's the charge time on the Joycons? And how do I know the console is charging? I pushed the button on the top of it and it turned off the green light on the dock so I'm uncertain.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I bought the Charge Grip because one of my Joycons died the day after release and that poo poo wasn't going to hold me back from playing Zelda; I should have read reviews but god drat it Nintendo, it's literally the same thing as the comfort grip but with a charge passthrough for double the price and no battery inside to hold a charge. I thought I could charge the grip and use it incase my Joycons died like they did and just keep going but without having to be tethered.

I'm not even mad I bought this thing because it's a major convenience, but seriously Nintendo, this should have come with the Switch, the Comfort Grip shouldn't have even a thing because what's even the point? If a Joycon and the Switch is dead, like in my case, your only option is to take the AC plug out of the dock and have it hooked directly into the console and you're forced to play in portable mode.

The plastic is transparent though, so that's pretty cool.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spellman posted:

That absolutely what you think you're getting, says me, who thought the same thing

It's expensive, you'd think that's exactly what the grip was for!

I watched a video of someone tearing it down to make sure if it had a battery, nope, it's the same thing with a pass through , so at $30 it's either too expensive or it's cheap and the comfort grip is too expensive. But honestly, I don't think the comfort grip should even be a thing; not being able to charge the Joycons by themselves out of the box is really stupid.

sigher fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 7, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hopeandjoy posted:

Do people not put their Joycons back on their Switch when they're done with a session? That's what I do and I don't think mine have been even as low as 50% since I opened the box.

It's easy to forget, or what happened in my case, I didn't push the left one all the way down into the Switch itself, I'm sure it clicked but just barely so the contacts didn't connect so one of the Joycons wasn't charging. This was also the night after I bought it so it didn't have the full 20 hour charge to last me the next day. I don't see this happening to many people but man did it suck realizing I had no way to play on my TV because a Joycon had no charge.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Utnayan posted:

For those on the fence, this is the only video you need to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Nintendo is seriously saying dead pixels normal? That's a new low.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, that is badly worded by them. But most companies (for electronics, devices, monitors, etc) won't replace your device unless there is a group of 3 or more dead pixels or a bunch across the screen. Just a dead pixel or two, and they will tell you too bad. Nintendo should have worded it that sometimes dead pixels occur during manufacturing and if there are more than X many, please contact support.

Exactly, it sounds shittier than it needs to be, they're an rear end hair away from sounding like it's a feature.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't add a small layer of foam or something in the front of the dock, because it's not hard to realize that plastic on plastic scratches. Especially when it's a high-gloss plastic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheScott2K posted:

Are you really surprised?

Yeah, but then I think back about the original 3DS scratching it's own screen and lol.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shards of Fate posted:

My switch can't connect to my 5G wifi signal. Anyone know a workaround to this?

Is there a bunch of stuff in the way? 5G doesn't like going through walls and objects.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

well why not posted:

It's great and novel, but honestly, we should expect that bluetooth devices work together.

Connect? Yes, but to work natively as a controller? No.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh man this is going to be great. Bring on the hacking.

Nintendo made the perfect console... for homebrew and emulators.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hace posted:

YTMND is timeless

I'm surprised it even exists anymore, I haven't heard about YTMND in over a decade.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rad Valtar posted:

I asked earlier but will I own the NA version when it comes out?

No.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spacebump posted:

I haven't used one yet and haven't read much about the tech inside. How are the joy cons for motion control compared to the Wiimotes? Could they play VC versions of Wii Sports?

They definitely could; the gyro works really well, but there's no IR (except a rear-facing one on the right joycon for some reason) but I don't remember if Wii Sports used any IR. The Joycons are small and not as comfortable to hold as a Wiimote, but it's not really an issue.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

e;Unless Capcom ports MHXX to the Switch

I hope.

Is anyone working on any drivers to get both Joycons working on PC as a single controller? I think you can Mickey Mouse it via setting controllers in Joy2Key or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

whaley posted:

You are bad at video games

And he's completely right.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

Gyro feels more natural than mouse or stick.

Mouse feels... easy? cheap-o. Unengaging. Yup, there it is, click. Got it. It doesn't feel like you are connected or like physical skill is involved. I know it's more reliable and top-tier competitive and whatnot, but I'm talking about feel and fun, and it's very subjective and experiential.

Are you serious because lol.

The Bloop posted:

I want my exciting game box plugged into my bigass TV and with a different input device from doing taxes.

So plug in your computer to your TV and connect your Switch Pro controller to it?

I don't think anyone is going to convince the guy with the Splatoon av that Gyro isn't the best but whatever.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

actually this segues into a question: how many people just had a really poo poo time with the gyro controls in botw

I didn't have trouble with them but certain situations they weren't that great, like trying to nail a charging Lynel's eye is almost impossible and not even worth trying to do. I also don't like that my wrists will get into awkward positions if I use the Gyro too much and I have to contort them to hit something. Overall it's not bad for most situations though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can buy the Switch Dog Stickers:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/513326595/nintendo-switch-joy-con-dog-tongue

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FireMrshlBill posted:

But saying that screen is utter trash is pretty unfounded.

As much as I enjoy the Switch the screen isn't really that great, too small for me. I don't even mind it being 720p but the bezels on this thing can be measured with a yardstick. As it stands I don't even bother using the Switch on a desk with the kickstand because unless I'm hunched over I can't see poo poo in something detailed like Zelda. Metal Slug 3 is ok but even that would cause my eyes to strain after a while so I haven't even tried. Image quality is top notch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pants Donkey posted:

If Metroid was like BotW it either wouldn't be Metroid or would be super annoying because 90% of the world would be initially closed off because you lack a screw attack or whatever. So it wouldn't really be like BotW.

Metroid has always been about exploring an area and seeing where you newest toys will let you go. Older Zeldas are kinda like that, yet far more linear.

Actually Zelda 1 is basically completely open and you can really do any of the dungeons in any order you want, there's only two that are blocked off via some item if I recall correctly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How long before someone just makes a snap-on "dock" that just connects to the USB C on the Switch and has the ports of the dock on them? I mean, Nintendo should release something like this because the dock is poo poo and pointless. I wouldn't mind a bit of more bulk to my Switch to have the dock "built-in."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Call Me Charlie posted:

Doesn't EA still have an exclusive license to the NFL? It feels like I haven't heard anybody talk about football games in years.

Good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sup bitches:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blazing Zero posted:

i dont see a screen protec tor, voted 1

Oh it's on there:

You can see the bottom corner peeling because of the heat from the unit in the dock, my glass protector arrives this week hopefully.

Dizz posted:

way too big imo.

Makes me wish for a Switch Dog charging dock

It actually came with two stickers and I used the bigger one, though I agree the smaller one would have looked better. I'll probably change it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's a worthwhile thing to want to protect I think, especially when things have the potential to be knocked over on shelves all the time.

Do you dock your TV too? Or protect anything else around your entertainment center?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, my PS4 doesn't have a screen that'd crack or get scratched if something fell on it.

as for my TV, I make drat sure well it's standing in a stable position and do my absolute best to secure it from falling over. That's common sense.

Honestly, how often does poo poo fall on or around your entertainment center?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Leaving it open faced would just move the problem elsewhere, to be frank.

What problem would it introduce? Nearly all electronic devices charge, dock, rest or get used with their screens out in the open and no one cares because the chances are if something happens to fall on it, then its probably your own drat fault.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

We're not getting a localized version of the Secret of Mana collection, are we? I mean, it's cool the console is region free but not being able to read anything and get the story would suck. It's been so long since I've played SoM and SD3 I don't remember either games' story at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I hope we do but I can see Square saying gently caress it since SD3 never had an English translation and they probably don't care to have it done.

• Locked thread