Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

I had a weird wifi problem. My router was password protected, but the switch would not pick it up. It was picking up neighbor's wifi routers...just not mine. I reset it and it finally worked. What gives? :confused:

Most home routers are pieces of poo poo and do this on the regular. Someone brings device home and the router just checks out and won't respond to DHCP requests to that one, but the they renew existing ones.

When in doubt reboot your router it probably sucks less you spent some good money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kawabata posted:

I'm very happy that Nintendo chose to respect their fans and release BOTW for both the Wii U and the Switch but I can't help but wonder what this means in term of Switch sales. This is one of best (and best reviewed) game of all times, and other than for an increase of 180p in resolution it looks identical on the two consoles.

Some of my friends bought a used Wii U specifically for BOTW, spending 100 to 150 euros. With the added bonus that they can now access the entire Wii U / Wii games lineup which they discovered to be absolutely loving incredible. They won't buy a Switch anytime soon.

Idk this has kinda been the case for the last several iterations of any 3D console. Oh sweet the old stuff is hella cheap look at all this stuff I never played.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Docked mode is probably hosed unless they start dialing back on cpu requirements in their games. Per digital foundry:

This is only a theory, but it does make sense based on the data available. Laying out the maths here, docking increases pixel count from 720p to 900p, a 56 per cent in resolution. However, memory bandwidth only rises by 20 per cent, from 1331MHz to 1600MHz. Bandwidth is shared between CPU and GPU, so the higher resolution in the home console mode may be sapping memory bandwidth away from the main processor cores, making us more prone to slowdown when the CPU is under load. Bandwidth concerns may also explain why resolution doesn't scale closer in line with the difference in clock-speeds (307.2MHz or 384MHz undocked, 768MHz docked). Suffice to say, if you're looking to play Breath of the Wild with minimal performance drops, running undocked is the way forward.

This is a big problem

Ooooooor 720P doesn't use the full memory bandwidth even at 1333mhz. This is kinda stretching it honestly. RAM doesn't use a lot of power there's just not a lot of reason to really downclock it when the screen & CPU/GPU are going to be like 80% of the power usage while mobile given what I know of it's max watts vs how much such things typically use.

Edit: I'd want to hear this out of someone actually programing on the thing not some barely a nerd who can look at numbers and just start panicing.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 3, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Digital foundry arent barely nerds they are all the way nerds and if they publish a theory you should take it seriously until proven otherwise because they do their hw

Reading what they wrote it's a lot of theory by looking at video streams. yeah ok this is very telling :jerkbag:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Except they actually play the game and analyze their own captured footage for frame rate drops?

They said it themselves in the article: Dock & mobile have different rendering setups and ok the dock one is suffering in place when the other isn't. I believe that sure. WHY it's happening is complete guess work and my knowledge of such things makes me go "eeeeeh"

But hey I expect this thing to have some quirks cause it's an overtuned mobile chip I can plug into my TV also. Long as it works I'm not going to care about 22FPS vs 30FPS. Hell soon as I actually get mine I'm SO not going to care cause I"ll be trying to have fun not stressing some dropped frames. Yeah it's annoying but if I don't want dropped frames I have a PC.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh where do i put the game cart in my pc to play zelda?

The same place I can plug in my desktop in on the train.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

USB Ethernet dongle works in dock mode.
I use Astro a40s with a mix amp and normally plug that into the PS4 digital optical but just plugged the optical into the tv and it takes both.

I like that the game cases are the same size as the switch.

I can't believe how small it is. And how great it feels. Like how the PS4 really feels like what Sony wanted the PS3 to be, switch feels like what Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be. Amazing.

Which dongle out of curiosity, didja get the newer one or had a Wii U hold o ver?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That did remind me since I woke up unusually early I said gently caress it I'll go buy some extra joy cons from Fred Meyer. About a dozen other unwashed nerds grabbing their systems & zelda when the guy right before me asked if they had the special edition or whatever it's called. When the lady behind the counter was all "0. regular game only" he goes off how he called and someone told him otherwise while getting pretty agitated. Whomever this lady was she has been doing this a while as she took on a pretty authoritative tone to tell the guy sorry miscommunication is there something else I can get you. Dude sat there for about 10s processing this before walking off.

Please be nice to retail workers they don't care about our nerd poo poo.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Hold over from the Wii U which was actually a hold over from my Wii. Some third party generic junk I got off Amazon I'm sure

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, cause I probably have the same junk one you do.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Already annoyed by a few things like no headphone jack on the pro controller. Also I started up the Snipperclips demo using the pro controller and apparently you can't play it with the pro controller maybe I don't know? The issue was, I lost all control with the pro controller, couldn't go back to the home menu or anything. So I had to get up and remove it from the dock just to hit the stupid home button.

Pretty dumb.

You almost figured out yes the demo at least doesn't use the pro controller. idk why, but just use the silly cons.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Your TV's wifi is messing up bluetooth, assuming this is what's doing it, because they're both in the same 2.4Ghz range with your microwave and all of it stomps on each other. I had an issue with my work laptop's connection turning to crap if I put my wifi enabled cell phone too close it it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Megasabin posted:

This is going to sound like a dumb question. I got my switch & zelda, but haven't unboxed anything yet. The SD card I ordered doesn't come in till tomorrow. Is it the the actual game install itself or the save files that go on the SD card? If I play Zelda will I be able to transfer my save over to my SD card tomorrow? Is there any reason I shouldn't start playing tonight with this situation?

Play immediately. Carts have 0 reason to install to the system since it's just as fast. All hail our glorious cart er future.

Patches do go into the system but that's where they're going either way so play play play.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can totally see someone selling clip ons for the joycons that make them a hell of a lot wider. Even my medium sized hands find using the shoulder buttons a little efforty.

I took the unit out today while I was stuck sitting around and God drat playing the same game on the go is awesome. Also Zelda is really really good, incase you didn't know.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

Random question: will any generic USB-C charger (like the one for my PIxel phone) charge the tablet reliably? I'd like to be able to bring a charger with me when I bring the Switch over to friends' and such, and it would be nice to just leave the dock plugged in 100% of the time.

Maybe bordering on risk of frying the hardware.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We don't have VC yet cause this thing was kinda rushed out the door and the programing for VC isn't ready yet. Doesn't matter if the other systems have it they don't have the same hardware. So we will have to wait until they start talking, but it sounds like this time we're gonna get more than a trickle of games as I think they finally contracted that work out.

Also don't talk to jivjov you idiots lol.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Oh I took the Switch to a friends bday party cause she wanted to see it. When I told everyone that people online were bitching Zelda looked kinda eh cause it was a little slow and had lower res textures they looked at me like I was stupid.

Because people bitching about these things are stupid turbo nerds. Ps these were pc master race people.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

The USB port also transmits the video signal.

:rolleyes:

I think everyone else is forgetting this detail in this discussion.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'll admit I don't know this in detail but relying on contact pins for a 1080p signal seems like a very bad idea

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

why? I have used contact pins in the past for 1080p signals before.

Edit* 1080p30 is 2MB/s. USB 2.0 is more than capable of handling it. Heck, this thing has USB 3.0.

That sounds like super compressed Internet streaming bit rates, not that kind that's going to your TV from a local device.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

USB2 is rated at 60MB/s. It would be just fine.

What? No, I meant just let the screen rotate if held upside down is all.
Also the amount of traces/copper needed to add another port is tiny. Have you ever laid a board out?

No I was saying yeah Internet streams are like 3mbit but that's wildly less than you're going to do over a 2m copper cable. Those suckers are rated at 10Gbits or more now, there's not a lot of reason to compress a stream over that kinda bandwidth. I wouldn't trust contact pins to maintain that over years of use.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've heard a few go why would did Nintendo even sell the Wii u version and that made me laugh.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

parallelodad posted:

Man I just did a shrine in Breath of the Wild called "A moderate combat challenge" where I went through four bows and three fairies and like five melee weapons and won with half a heart left. Then I saw another shrine and worked my way to it, and the name of it was "A Major Combat Challenge" so I noped out of there pretty fast.

Hey I just did that one too though I only burned through 2 weapons a bow and a couple foods. I took my time with it though sounds like you wailed on it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Started playing Snipperclips alone and went hmmm no lets do this with someone else. Waited for the youngin to come over and told her to get over here we have a game to play. She fell in love with it instantly and the brief 30 minutes we played around were really fun. Play this game with someone else it makes it great.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

then why do i have a save folder with files in it on my sd card, nintendo, why. :psyduck:

Because it's plainly going to change like it always does and the person you're quoting is an idiot who just wants to get everyone's attention :shrek:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Meh unless you bought a bunch, $100 profit per unit isn't really all that hot. Not exactly rags to riches for that kind of hassle
Plus sales taxes in most places is going to turn that into like $70 then shipping probably is gonna bite into your rear end and LOL scalpers get hosed.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Anyone not like zelda

Some idiot blog was all this game is bad meanwhile the other ...60 whatever reviews are calling GOTY in February. That guy will never be taken seriously again.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you want a good laugh go look at metacritic's negative user reviews. Lots of salty people who don't know how to have fun.

quote:

Very disappointed and returning game after 8 hours of play. maybe young children will like it but I just could not keep playing the oversimplified quests and puzzles as the game holds your hand throughout. no decisions or strategy involved.

quote:

Game overrated, no story, bad graphics, clumsy gameplay, bad enemies, little history, many secondary missions inecesarias, very repetitive missions, very few weapons, few costumes, open world and little interaction. I do not recommend it, disappointing.

quote:

90% of people will never replay breath of the wild.
The game is designed around dumping all your time into a single play file thanks to how slow the accumulation of anything works. Theres no second quest, the enemy variety is **** like the only thing you have going for it is "the world is big and i wanna see every inch of it" which is absolutely no different than any other open world game… Expand

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Splatoon 2 beta coming this month... 24 - 26

I will be missing sleep that weekend.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

By December 2016, Nintendo reported lifetime sales of (the wii u) 13.56

As of December 31, 2016, total sales (of splatoon)reached 4.76 million copies

edit: Super Mario 3D World. 5.47 million pcs.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 7, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not sure why people don't want more Splatoon: now with pants and less bullshit roller flicking :confused:

What do people want changed? Ok wait I want one thing REGIONAL MATCHMATCHING

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I'm really curious if Splatoon 2 keeps up the momentum or if it was a one-time phenomenon. Like is the market for a casual fresh shooter the same as it was two years ago?

There is nothing casual about S/S+ rank matches :colbert:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Someone got it right that the name is a little confusing if you don't keep up with things and after Wii/Wii U naming gently caress ups lets not do that again.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

enojy posted:

Did Splatoon 1 support both gyro and analog aiming simultaneously? I can't remember, but I couldn't get into the controls. Loved everything else. If Splatoon 2 behaves like Zelda bow aiming, I'll get it.

Splatoon and Zelda gyro assisted aiming works exactly the same so I think you just got more used to it since then. Some people did need to adjust the stick sensitivity in splatoon at first.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ITT People who watch other people playing video games confirm they are children with bad opinions.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to see a friend way across town tomorrow which means 3 hours on the train that I will be enjoying playing Zelda. And seeing how much the battery takes/how good my 5Kwh 5v/2.4w charger does with this.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

One Goon showed that his save files are on his SD card despite what nintendo said and I would bet good money moving saves is going to get patched in before the end of the year. Only reason they might not is they are hyper paranoid about getting hacked since that's pretty much how all their other systems got hacked up along with the internet browser.

If that's the case yeah they better provide some cloud saves Soon.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

How can Nintendo not be offering up money to make sure a pair of Pokemon games doesn't hit the Switch, for real.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, I am an idiot and electricity is basically magic to me.

Could I charge (however slowly) the Switch with the USB C charger I got with my Nexus 6P phone? The cable is not third party or anything.
Could I charge my phone from the Switch AC adapter and have a reasonable assumption that it won't catch on fire?

I'm trying to only take one charger to work with me. If I could leave my Switch charger in the dock all the time and get a trickle from my phone charger, that'd be okay.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/08/not-even-googles-stock-nexus-chargers-are-safe-from-the-usb-c-curse/

I wouldn't

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Everybody go home and reboot your home router. It's a piece of poo poo and it sucks and is probably causing you more issues than you think.

(Nintendo's Wifi is probably still weak)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Thank you VG for telling the console warriors to quit it.

Trip report: been playing Zelda on the train while going around town and it is so awesome that I'll get home and put the same game up in my TV without skipping a beat. Battery is holding up well I'd easily I'd get over 3 hours given the drain at medium brightness/volume and airplane mode. Recharged from the pack at 11w from 67% back to full in an hour while occupied. Screen is still perfect after being put in a laptop pocket in my bookbag.

Oh and someone said stand by drains too much, Idk what they are talking about I lost 1% in 8 hours when I put it in my bag before sleeping

• Locked thread