Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Semi-trip report: The slack-jawed idiot at Gamestop yesterday wasn't sure how many Switches were coming in, or how many were pre-ordered so I'll just assume that's a no-go.

The girl at Fry's said about 40 people took vouchers for the midnight launch, and about 15 people were in line in front so I'm guessing the people with vouchers hosed off until midnight (this is on the west coast). They were also doing pre-orders so I'm not sure how that works in conjunction with the vouchers, but she implied all the Switches were pretty much accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The only midnight launch I've been to was GTA 4, and that was only because I found out about it at about 11pm, so a buddy and I went "gently caress it" and waited in line for about a half hour. It was pretty uneventful.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Harlock posted:

If Nintendo doesn't want the switch to be everyone's #1 console that's a pretty big fundamental problem at their company.

The reason people have adopted their consoles as a side bit to their PS4s and Xboxes is because of Nintendo's previous failures and engagement gap.

I wouldn't call the Wii a failure

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The Fry's down the street from me sold out 80~ switches on the first day, and almost completely sold out everything else as well, the only things left were a few copies of Bomberman and Let's Dance, and a single pair of grey Joy Cons

Probably a good thing, I likely would've left with one

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

For the love of god please stop posting BotW spoilers here, there's a whole thread for that

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Mother of God MK8 Deluxe looks incredible, I think that might be the tipping point for me getting a Switch

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

FireMrshlBill posted:

What! No one buys a system for Mario Kart! Whats next, you going to tell me that if you don't get the system by the time Mario Kart comes out, that Splatoon 2 may give you a push to buy a system with one of the highest critically esteemed Zelda's and a Mario Kart that is arguably considered the best with even more improvements? Nope, not buying it. If Zelda didn't sell you on the system at launch, then nothing will until Mario Odyssey during the holiday season....

Anecdotally, I know a few people personally who are waiting for some game or another to drop before getting a Switch

It'll be dope when we eventually all have our own to LAN with

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I did not preorder a switch or camp out for one and now I can't find one and I kind of hate myself

:same:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Block Fort online would complete my life

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

a.lo posted:

I assumed battle mode would be online because why wouldn't it

Nintendo

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

pissdude posted:

I work retail at a higher end liquor/wine/craft beer store and let me tell you about the "unicorn whiskeys"

Stuff like Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Weller 12yr, Pappy Van Winkle, etc. these whiskies are exceptionally rare and always being hunted down by idiots who think that they are connoisseurs and read about how good they are/rare they are so they drive all over or call every store in a region and try to aggressively interrogate us employees to see if we're hiding any in the back. Think of these like the Nintendo Switch, except instead of there being an initial rush of people trying to find them for the first couple of months, people are always calling or coming in and trying to bully a bottle out of us or if we can "go check in the back" FOREVER, FOR AS LONG AS THIS INDUSTRY WILL EXIST. Every day, every week, forever.

The only respite from this endless barrage of whiskey reddit fuckers harassing me on a daily basis is that sometimes we DO have some of these rarer whiskeys hiding in the back and I just lie straight to their face and tell them that we don't because they're cherry picking collectors who are likely trying to resale the whiskey anyway. Sometimes I do it in a very winking, knowing way to let them question whether or not I'm bullshitting them. I will only offer these rare items to regular customers who are looking for something really nice, or extremely cool and nice people who don't cold-open with "DO YOU HAVE ANY X". I am the gatekeeper. Treat me like a human.

Is this a copy and paste I don't recognize?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Every customer I deny service to at my retail job brings me one step closer to defeating the ghost of the guy who made fun of me in high school

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

"God its so annoying when people accuse me of hiding things in the back, after I've been hiding things in the back"

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah I'll pass

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I think that the new Toejam and Earl looks like exactly what it's supposed to be and I'm excited to have one of the best co-op games of all time on a console that's designed around being good for local multiplayer.

I really hope it has a 'classic' visual style or something because I can't get past the awful Flash-looking visuals

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It might just be wishful thinking but it seems like most of the Switch's problems are software based and can hopefully be ironed out easily enough

Not having a Switch kinda sucks but waiting for the problems to be fixed makes the wait slightly better

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

BoI is always on sale on Steam, and they offer refunds if you don't care for it

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

There's a reason why EA and Ubi isn't touching this thing

Oh man, what a loss

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

A single Nintendo game released every year would be fantastic

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Nintendo won't be validated in my eyes until they get annual Madden releases for it that 90% of the player base won't give a poo poo about

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Norns posted:

Also what kinda stupid argument is "you must be a hardcore Nintendo fan if you want to see other publisher games on the platform" :psyboom:

Do you apply this loving broken logic to everything in daily life?

I'm pretty sure people are just refuting the idiotic "Nintendo will flop if they don't get the usual multiplat 3rd party games that people play on other consoles," I sincerely doubt Nintendo fans are against 3rd party games or whatever you're trying to say

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

HD/remastered ports of classic arcade games with local and online multiplayer would own

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Catkin posted:

Help, I can't find a Switch in stock within a 100 mile radius :(

Roughly the same for me, and they all said they're sold out until the end of next month

I told myself I was fine with waiting a while for a Switch, now I'm kinda kicking myself for not camping out for one

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It looks like Splatoon dropped with five maps, then got another map a whopping whole four days later, then two more nine days later...

I've never played Splatoon but getting a steady trickle of maps every 10 days or so and ending with about sixteen maps overall sounds more than reasonable

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Stux posted:

naw its still really silly an fps came out with only 5 maps at launch sorry

If it was your typical shooter with a season pass and paid DLCS spread several months apart I would completely agree with you

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Splatoon 2 looks extremely fun and I plan on buying it on launch day no matter how many maps it has

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

look at them arms characters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3cx6oOYgRY

with a very cheerful announcer

That looks cool as gently caress, but I hope there's more than 5 characters

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

parallelodad posted:

Sell wristband on eBay

I know someone who sold their Wii voucher in front of Circuit City for $200

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFw64IUyrU

Slapamander is the dumbest name for anything and I'm gonna smack the poo poo out of everyone with it

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Trip report: I GOT ONE

Stopped at a Gamespot on the way home, and of course they didn't get any in and "comeback tomorrow maybe." I then stopped at Walmart on a complete whim, saw they had a few in the glass case HOLY poo poo.

I had my dock behind my TV slightly and got crazy bad synch problems, now I have it next to the TV and only get slight desynch if I hold the left Joy-Con behind my back.

Alright Zelda's done updating, later

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Zelda is very good

A blue Bokoblin just one shot me what the gently caress

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm glad I got my Switch in time to play the Splatoon beta, but according to the schedule it looks like I could maybe play for... two hours? I really hope nothing comes up in my real life.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm gonna have to tear myself away from Zelda tonight to play Splatoon

The Switch is pretty neat, dudes

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Motherfuck, I somehow managed to put my Switch in the dock wrong and it wasn't charging all day. Hopefully a half hour charge gives me enough time for the demo.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

This game is fun but holy poo poo gyro controls hard for me to get used to

Also this lobby time is murder

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Is there no way to switch weapons in the lobby or something? This demo doesn't tell you much

Oh a Japanese person just joined the lobby, I look forward to getting my rear end kicked

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Bird Law posted:

No, have to exit out to pick a new weapon. It was the same in Splatoon and kind of annoying, I hope they give us some in lobby options for changing weapons and clothes.

Oh well, thanks.

Good lord that Japanese person wrecked me

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'll be lucky to get two hours of the demo

Lemming posted:

The general wisdom is demos usually decease your sales.

Really? I'd figure it'd be the complete opposite, I thought a good demo builds all kinds of hype

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Good points, now that I think about it the Battlefront demo was really fun but convinced there probably wasn't too much more to the game

Andrast posted:

The effect of betas/demos on sales really depends on the game.

For example, the open beta for Overwatch was massively successful and really sold the game to a lot of people.

The Tony Hawk demo came to mind for me, that must've been some of the best marketing in video game history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah who does that

• Locked thread