Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm very excited to learn that Xenoblade 2 will have lots of massive anime titties that are as big as your head.

gently caress yeah Metroid Prime 4 can't be out soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm cummin

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh man this Metroid game is not bringing up favorable comparisons to AM2R. This is an unfortunate turn of events.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mario Odyssey is gonna be a masterpiece

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anime tiddy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is Xenoblade 2 a hentai

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

loquacius posted:

this is actually good though because you don't have to spend an hour queueing for content and if you gently caress up and party-wipe you don't have anyone yelling at you for it, you just start over

it's all the fun of pressing buttons for 200 hours without the pesky socializing and strategies!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mabels big day posted:

So what are the point of the character's Stands in Xenoblade 2? they just sit there and send aura to you but I just don't get the point of why they're there other than to have a sexy anime babe stand around during battles

you answered your own question

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

she has booty shorts that are also see-through so you can see her tight thong underneath and a rubber suit that bares her midriff and is tight enough to contort to every curve of her giant J-Cup tits but also loose enough for them to jiggle wildly whenever she takes a step.

and she has the face of a 12 year old
:whitewater:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kashuno posted:

People who are going into deep detail about the girl's outfit and how they find it creepy are they themselves pretty creepy

if that description of the character design creeps you out, congratulations because it should creep you out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thank gently caress we're being rewarded with Superstar Saga for sitting through that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

loquacius posted:

Does the Kirby game graphically look exactly like Return to Dream Land or am I remembering wrong

it looks nicer

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

god I love that Mario Odyssey theme. probably gonna pull the trigger on getting the Switch for that game. especially now that Prime 4 is announced

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This guy on the stream called the Yoshis "Koopas".
I hate this guy. I want to hurt him.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the 3DS is my friend, don't insult it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm gonna get a Goomba amiibo and impale its head with a red flag

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why isn't "T-Rex in a cowboy hat" the thread title

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have some issues with what they showed of Return of Samus. They seemed to have a bunch of things from Prime and Other M without much regard for how that might affect the smooth and fast gameplay of 2D Metroid. The cinematic finishers and melee counters are pretty unnecessary, as are the cutscenes that have the camera slowly panning toward an important object. It's a 2D side-scroller, you don't need to stop the player to call attention to something important. The scan pulse is a dumb feature that just takes away from the mystery of exploration. It doesn't even cost much to use and it shows way too much detail.

AM2R will probably end up being the better remake.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

If you think the scan pulse shows too much, don't use it? It's not hard, man. :shrug:

Instead of the game being built to provide exploration, exploration is a self-imposed challenge. That's a really silly design decision.
But yes I could just not use it. I could also not use missiles, not use the counter button, not press the R button, play blindfolded, stand upside down while playing, or just not play the game at all. Doesn't change the fact it's part of the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

It's better than needing to shoot every block, which is the alternative. That's not fun at all.

you could just not shoot the blocks :smug:
but really I think the better alternative would secrets that are well-hidden and well-designed. crazy thought I know.

Kashuno posted:

Making games more accessible to people who don't want to jerk themselves off over having missiled a certain wall while not forcing it on people who do is a stupid as hell hill to die on. Do you bitch about auto-nav on Mario kart too?
auto-nav is something you hand your two-year old kid so that you can ignore them while they race around.
it's not gonna get them a gold rank in every cup and beat every time trial ghost is it?
100% completion isn't something casual gamers are gonna care about anyway

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it would certainly give the developers an excuse for lazy map design
if a game has secrets but also has a "reveal every secret" button, then the game doesn't have secrets.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zelder posted:

Super Mario 3d world had an option for the game to play itself on autopilot but it's still one of the best platformers ever

did it also give you every single green star and then beat Champion's Road for you too?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kashuno posted:

First off, scan pulse is an optional use to find secrets if you want to. More accessibility in videogames is A Good Thing you elitist rear end in a top hat,

I'm not opposed to accessibility, I'm opposed to game design that is self-defeating. There are better ways to make a game accessible than this dumb bullshit. But sure, act like I took a dumb directly in your mouth by criticizing a Nintendo game. Why not.

quote:

Secondly, it's a remake of a god drat game boy game. If you want to argue level design or secret layout about a game made in the 90s honestly man idk what to tell you

They changed the level design quite substantially, in case you didn't notice. Sorry if that makes me an elitist rear end in a top hat, but they did.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kashuno posted:

Furthermore for a recent reference, did the sheikah sensor in Breath of the Wild ruin the placement of shrines or make them less possible to find without it? No, there are multiple people on this very forum who found all 120 shrines without it but the ability for other players to have a resource to help them find it didn't ruin the game for anyone

No, because Breath of the Wild did something extremely smart and had the towers only show you a very limited information about the map, rather than just showing you every single item's precise location. I guess that game was only for elitest assholes

Lemming posted:

How would you do it then
The map stations that were in every other Metroid game that gave you a partial picture of the map (but didn't give you everything) worked just fine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

The majority of modern gamers will just look up a guide or use the pulse when they feel like they can't find it, or have a hint it might be there, this is a good thing, because older games with obscure secrets were and are kind of garbage. BotW tells you where pretty much everything is, gives you a scanner, and will purposefully move your camera to tell you where things are so that you're not ever really lost. This objectively the way games are moving forward and making them better for gamers as a whole, it's dumb to complete lambast a feature because it doesn't apply to your incredibly niche view. If you want to play a cool game without a scanner, I'd recommend Hidden Object Games, as Nintendo is desigining for the vast majority of us.

Why were people waiting so long for a new Metroid game if they were actually garbage because they didn't have a "reveal every item" button on the side of your screen at all times?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

Lmao, yes lets take this to the extreme!

it is pretty extreme to say that old games were garbage for having obscure secrets or that you're an elitest rear end in a top hat for a game to have actual secrets, yes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

thexerox123 posted:

Oh well, guess they're just wrong and they don't understand how discovery and exploration works, that seems more likely than you being a reactionary moron.

Reactionary is jumping down someone's throat for having an opinion about a preview of a mechanic in a video game.
Do you need a scan button to show you how to disagree about something without being a shithead?

Zelder posted:

I still don't get how scan pulse inherently means the map design will be bad

You don't get it because it isn't a thing that was said.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

I'm actually going to argue this. What's wrong with self imposed challenges? If you have fun doing one there should be no issue. True, it could be argued that it is a bit of a design flaw if the player has to make their own fun by refusing to use a game feature but as long as that is not too much trouble what exactly is the problem? I do this all the time when playing stuff. If it feels like using something the game gives me is going to spoil my fun or the way i like to play it, i just don't do it.

Because having an instant gratification button in the corner of the screen at all times inherently changes and devalues the experience of overcoming a challenge.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

The way they solved it in BotW was pretty elegant; sheikah sensor (that you could turn off) for the shrines, and literally 900 koroks so you would miss a bunch but still find a ton, way more than you'd ever need, if you made an effort to look.

That's the thing. You found more Koroks than you would ever need. But not all of them. It gave you information to find some things, but not all of them. Because Breath of the Wild understands the value of having things in a game that not everybody will find. The Scan Pulse shows you the exact position of items.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

There aren't going to be 900 collectable items in Samus Returns. It was one type of solution that was applicable to that game (gigantic open world). The scan pulse costs resources so you won't be able to spam it on every inch of the map unless you're farming that resource (given what we've seen) and if you're willing to do that then I don't see why that's not just as valid as being willing to shoot every block.

It costs a tiny amount of resource.
I don't see how you can even argue that it's similar to shooting every block in the game. One thing is cheap instant gratification, the other isn't.
You're acting like I'm a crazy person because you aren't necessarily forced to use the scan pulse, but the idea that you are forced to comb the game world for every single item and get 100% completion is way more ridiculous.

What I don't understand is why you feel there'll be some sort of consequence to you if you just don't push that button?
What do you mean by consequence?
It's just a dumb design decision. Putting the button there encourages people to press the button. People who want to avoid pressing the button will have to actively avoid pressing the button. It encourages you to just take the easy way out the second you meet resistance instead of even taking a bit of time to see if you can figure things out yourself. It isn't really rocket science.

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 14, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

OR just play fuckin AM2R.

You mean not buy the game?
Sure okay.

Wow, you sure showed me

Lemming posted:

My argument is that lots of people do like to go for 100% completion

why would you want 100% completion in a game where you aren't prepared to actually try and get 100% completion

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no seriously, it isn't a personal insult to your masculinity if you don't have 100% in a game

Lemming posted:

No but they're also very different games. But, they did include the Sheikah Sensor specifically to fill a similar role of giving you an option to make it easier to find things, and they're adding in a similar item for koroks.

They aren't similar because one of them goes too far while the other gives just the right amount of guidance.
This ain't a binary thing, dude. It's not just a choice between the original Mario Bros and gently caress Myst

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would probably help if the paid game actually looked better than the free one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

Your idea of the "right" amount of guidance is completely subjective.

you are just blowing my mind here with your insight.

And what's the problem with any of that? There are going to be people who will want to play the game who will be happy that a feature like that has been included.
And there are people who will end up using this feature and without realizing it, will end up not enjoying the game as much as they might've, because it isn't presented as a crutch mechanic and is so readily available at any time. Features like these should be implemented in a way that they don't push players away from engaging with the actual design of the game. Hell, Prime 3 did the same thing but better. It let you scan the world for items but this feature was in its own room separate from the rest of the game, and wasn't available until late in the game. OCD completionists get their trail of breadcrumbs but its explicitly there for when you're revisiting the worlds for items and you need to go out of your way to activate it.

You know what game had a lovely crutch mechanic? Sonic Lost World. A capsule with a wing in it shows up with no fanfare, is right in the middle of the level where it can easily be hit, and immediately transports you to the end of the stage unannounced. It sucks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bobjr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9r5hx47kxM

I really like the main Odyssey theme.

:same:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lemming posted:

Your argument is literally "they're not the same because one is good and one is bad" so it's sort of hard to rebut plain nonsense like that with anything but a platitude.

they're not the same because they literally aren't the same. one does one thing and one does a completely different thing.
I'm sorry I ever said anything bad about a Nintendo game okay? Just drop it, forget everything.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Just noticed that the Super Mario Odyssey trailer is the most-viewed youtube video related to E3 2017. :3:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think anyone who isn't excited for Mario Odyssey at this point has no soul

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Switch was dead before the Wii U even launched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Dunkey is extremely wrong for saying 3D World is weak

I'd just switch 3D World and Land and then agree with him.
Also I'd say I like Galaxy more than Sunshine. Despite Sunshine's wonderful movement and awesome setting, it has some really bizarre and annoying design choices that were really out of place in a Mario game for how unpolished they were.

I'm interested to see what skilled gameplay of Odyssey will look like.

• Locked thread