Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

-Atom- posted:

I keep going back and fourth on this and I always end up at no

mods???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Am I the only one having issues getting this thing connected to the internet? When running the setup it kept saying it couldn't obtain my IP, so I put everything in manually as best as I could. It says it connected, but when trying to do the system update it keeps saying can't communicate with the server...

If I do a connection test it fails, but if I do the manual setting it says it's connected. WTF

I've literally never had an issue with anything connecting to my router.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Already annoyed by a few things like no headphone jack on the pro controller. Also I started up the Snipperclips demo using the pro controller and apparently you can't play it with the pro controller maybe I don't know? The issue was, I lost all control with the pro controller, couldn't go back to the home menu or anything. So I had to get up and remove it from the dock just to hit the stupid home button.

Pretty dumb.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

drat individual joycons are poo poo. So small even with the attachment.

I want some 3rd party fat ones.

Seriously, they are baby controllers for baby hands. I would literally not be able to play this thing without the pro controller.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Anyone else having issues connecting to their wifi? The wiiU worked fine, and the switch is at the same place but I'm getting no bars on my wifi signal.

If I undock it and move closer to the router there's no issue, but I can't move either permanently! So what, I'm stuck playing online on undocked mode next to my router forever?

This is a pain in the rear end. My crappy smart TV and wiiU both get a signal without issues in the same spot!

Edit: oh, same page. This is pretty lovely, I need to be at like 1 meter unobstructed for it to get a signal!

I was having similar issues. It seemed like having the Switch docked was screwing with the ability to connect. I've never had any issues with my router for anything. It also shows my connection on the Switch as medium strength... even though it's like 12 feet away separated by 2 walls. Taking it out of the dock I was finally able to update and connect to the store.

I can't tell if it's defective or just lovely with wifi, but you are the only other person I've seen have a similar complaint.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Whats tempting me to get the pro controller is how it will make switching even more seamless. Leave the joycons on the handheld, and just grab it and go when I need the portable.

Does it feel quality? Is it heavier than the ps4 controller? It doesnt feel like a $20 Logitech PC gamepad or a crappy see thru neon green madcatz xbox 360 controller does it?

Not that weight has much to do with quality, but yes it's definitely heavier than the PS4 controller. It feels great, probably tied with the 360 controller as my favorite console controller. I've only experienced the rumble in Zelda and that is kind of poo poo, but I don't care about rumble anyways. The only thing that bothers me about it has no headphone jack.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I finally beat BotW so my thread blackout is over... I missed 11k posts, anything noteworthy? Is Nintendo still doomed? Is BotW a poo poo game now?

Did anyone weigh in on Has-Been Heroes? How is it playing on a controller? It's also on Steam and kind of looks like playing with a mouse might be better, but would like something else to play on my Switch.

Did that Master Blaster game ever get pro controller support? If not gently caress them.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

remember when everyone in here was saying the 3ds was dead

It's me. I assumed this was the case and got rid of my 3DS a long time ago. Between Culdcept, Monster Hunter RPG and Fire Emblem Echos I think I'm officially regretting that decision. Fortunately my N3DSXL was a special edition that I resold at retail cost so I won't feel too burned if I do rebuy a 3DS again.

I really wish all of these games were just coming to the Switch instead.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Listen if I want a simple "how do I do/find/solve x" and your video is like 10 seconds long and answers directly, day 1 preorder subscribe.

Yep, I don't want 10 minutes of bullshit when the whole solution can be reasonably explained in under 2 minutes.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Nintendo Switch subreddit did a thing a few weeks back asking folks to rank their most desired (unannounced) franchises/games for Switch. They dump the results today I was surprised by the level of polish...

http://imgur.com/a/hgMOX

If there isn't a Switch Monster Hunter announcement at E3 I'm going to be pretty pissed.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Isn't Australia's minimum wage more than twice the U.S. minimum wage? There are lots of factors people never consider.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

:laffo:

"Don't Australians have more money so we can gouge them more?"

Why can't I pay the same price as Russians for steam games? Some serious bullshit imo.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Fly with me posted:

Gamestop has this bundle up for preorder.
I am interested in everything included, but it doesn't ship until the 28th, and if my math is correct, there is no discount for bundling everything together.

So the question is, do I preorder now at the higher price to get get a switch in two weeks, or wait and see if I can snag one sooner, and get all the stuff later?

Forced bundles are lame, but a guaranteed Switch is cool and good. At least they aren't making people buy 1 2 Switch or whatever. The only questionable game in that bundle is Has-Been Heroes which a few goons have said is good and even if you aren't interested in it you could sell the code.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

KingEup posted:

The graphics on the switch are great, I have no idea what everyone is complaing about. I am more impressed with Zelda graphics than I am running Doom on Ultra settings at 180fps on my PC.

BotW is my favorite Zelda and maybe my favorite game ever... but graphically impressive it is not. And that is okay!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

a.lo posted:

Bought a Switch carrying case the other day and some stranger saw it and asked, "Hey, got your Switch in there?" Annoyed I simply told her no, I had just bought the case and that my Switch was at home at the moment. She then went on to say that she had a Switch and was enjoying it. I nodded my head in agreement and with the hope of buying this case I can take it with me more often. Later on she suggested that we ever meet again we should both bring our Switches. I simply said, "that would be okay" and exited the bus. That was almost a month ago and I have not seen that girl since.

Sorry it wasn't a cute boy instead :smith:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I must be out of the loop by not having a PS4/Xbone, but Zelda is jaw droppingly gorgeous to me. I'm continually flabbergasted by how good it looks, so I don't understand this kind of talk.

I'm not one to get too focused on resolutions or frame rates, but there were a few things that bothered me. There was a weird haze during a lot of the game, presumably to hide the not great draw distance of the details? Even after the framerate patch things actually seemed to have gotten worse, at least for me. Instead of the frame rate being lovely in some areas my game was coming to a literal stop for seconds at a time.

I don't know why, but the snow areas had a green'ish tint and I also remember some of the Death Mountain areas getting a weird tint that didn't seem to fit the area. I had just got a Samsung KS8500 and thought my TV was broke. After checking some PS4 games those looked great though.

I don't know, I just don't think it was visually impressive and not even talking about the style of the game. I was playing docked the entire time, I guess maybe it looks better in handheld mode?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Do not get the wanderman! It's a trap game!

It was a great game to begin with and a remake done right, gtfo.

Unfortunately my brain doesn't allow me to replay games, so I'll be skipping it but it looks fantastic.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Wow, how faithful is this wonder boy remake? The mechanics of the game are remarkably impressive for the time. Combat isn't great, but the abilities and exploration are really fun. I'm enjoying both graphical and music styles.

It's literally the same game, like I'm pretty sure you could even bring a save over from the original version with the password. It was a great game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

parallelodad posted:

You know, for kids

The joycons are already for baby hands.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I wouldn't bet on VC being mentioned even by E3

I would bet almost anything they are going to do a, "and these VC games are available now" thing for E3.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Now that I realize they aren't done with the 3DS, I'm not convinced we are getting a Switch Monster Hunter anytime soon.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Riding up to South Carolina with family for about a week, opted to not bring the Switch, already regretting it.

mods???!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I can't wait until My Nintendo gives me discounts on games I already bought.

I got several hundred dollars selling Club Nintendo rewards and a ton of free games and people used to complain about how bad it was.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

parallelodad posted:

The main problem I have with joycons is they are a little TOO clicky and loud, to the point it bothers my wife if I'm playing on the couch while she wants to watch something.

sever

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Did they fix the problem that you cant use the pro controller on everything so if something doesn't support it you can't even go back to the home menu?

This happened to me with the Snipperclips demo... I would literally sell my joycons and just use the pro controller, but the fact that things like that happen and I couldn't even use the pro controller to go through the system setup means it's probably a really bad idea not knowing if any future system updates are going to make me use the joycons. I'm literally never going to use the joycons except in these really dumb situations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If you buy all of your games digitally, how are you ever going to know how these carts taste?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

They call it the Switch because every time I open this thread I switch to a different one.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Louisgod posted:

lol that people still keep buying release day games over Amazon and expecting to actually get it on release day.

Just loving find a friend that has a Best Buy Gamers Club card and get 20% that way, jesus christ

Supporting Bestbuy over Amazon is hilarious. I've been ordering all my physical games from Amazon for the past 4-5 years and have never had one late. Obviously they hosed something up with Mario Kart... just cancel the order and go pick it up at a Gamestop/Walmart or something.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Last time I tried to buy something from Best Buy, I got home and realized they sold me a re-sealed used pro control at full price and it was missing the charge cable. After I returned it I decided not to shop at Best Buy anymore.

They are the king of keeping open pre-orders for limited items way longer than they have an allotment for and then telling you the day before release you are hosed.

Like, the only reason I still appreciate Bestbuy exists is because when they finally go under I'm sure Amazon will stop doing their 20% discount.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Nintendo does literally more than everyone for E3 even though they "aren't at E3". They do a presentation as long as everyone else with the direct and then they do multiple days of treehouse coverage. Literally every year they show off their stuff in the best way possible.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Literally everyone I've ever put on ignore here has come from a Nintendo related thread and I've only put like 6 people on ignore in 13 years.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Lol as if I'm ever giving money to Qatar or the UAE companies considering their slave labor practices back home along with many other fun human rights abuses, let alone ever traveling to most of the middle east due to being a second class citizen due to my vagina.

:same:

I'm going to make my second and third Switch game purchase, going to pick up that $5 dollar Japanese game and Blaster Master. I'm probably one of the only people not picking up Mario Kart. I didn't really get into it on the Wii U, preferred the Sonic racing game. Might get Mario Kart from Gamefly sometime just to see how nice it looks.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Louisgod posted:

This year for Japan is definitely likely but lol if anybody thinks it's hitting the US before December. Best case scenario, JPN version has English subs, download off of JPN eStore, bam

I'm expecting 2018 holiday, anything sooner than that and I will be pleasantly surprised. I'm also buying it solely due to them bringing back the people who did the soundtrack for Xenoblade Chronicles, hopefully the game turns out to be good! I hope anyone who had anything to do with XCX wasn't allowed near the game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Quoting Utnayan should be a bannable offense.

This antiquated hand held doesn't even have a disc drive am i rite.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Someone in GBS twice brought up that not having a disk drive in a portable system was a screw up on Nintendo's part. That thread rightfully gets to point out some of the compromises the system has but lol at a disk drive in a portable in 2017. PS4/Xbox only still has them because they kind of have to.

I'm honestly surprised they're still the default in a tower PC from Dell now that I'm looking.

:thejoke:

I'm not going to be a crazy person and find all of Utnayan's old posts about how it should have had a blu-ray player in this portable device, but it is amusing they apparently don't remember it and now

Utnayan posted:

Yeah there is no need for an optical in the Switch

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

Dear Nintendo why does your Eshop suck. Why can't I look at titles available. You literally can only view new things or best selling, other poo poo fades into obscurity and are unable to be shopped for unless you search for them specifically. How is this a good design?

Yea this is really dumb, it's the Wii shop all over again. I had to manually search for Master Blaster, that should never be a thing.

It's really weird compared to the Wii U eshop. Despite all the complaints, pretty sure the Wii U was the first console to do everything digitally and they also paved the way for midnight releases for the midwest and east coast instead of bullshit 3am "midnight" releases.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

a.lo posted:

I took my Switch to a Honda service center yesterday to get my 2016 Honda Civic an oil change and whatever and I brought along my Switch. I was playing around Mario Kart when a girl (and I guess her boyfriend) was wondering what I was playing. I told her that I was playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but I was also going back and forth with Zelda. She seemed interested enough that you basically take something as gorgeous as Mario Kart on the go. The great thing about the Switch too is that is comes with two controllers. I asked her if she wanted to "Mario Kart" and she nodded. Granted it was not the most comfortable experience but we were both smiling and having a good time (made me think about getting some joycon accessories to make them more comfy) anyways I told her if you ever want to Mario Kart up again I gave her my friend code.

Was her boyfriend cute? Did he get in on the action or was he the kind of guy who just likes to watch his gf have fun?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Blaster Master Zero is fun and good.

A little on the easy side once I got the hang of the controls. Have only died once and I'm in the 5th area.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Kirios posted:

It's been two months.

Breath of the Wild is still my favorite game of all time. Nearly everything about it is perfect.

I saw some hate for BotW and just wanted to chim in that no, it's still a fantastic game that I wish I could go back in time and forget everything I did so that I could play it fresh again.

:same:

Finished Blaster Master Zero with the good ending in one sitting, great game. Has-Been Heroes is next!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

What exactly is Has-Been Heroes anyway? I couldn't get a sense of it from the trailer.

It's a roguelike, but pretty unique gameplay. (At least as far as I've played... I mean it's not a twin stick shooter.) When in battle there are 3 lanes that constantly have enemies coming forward and you have a hero in each lane. The way combat works, you are usually trying to knock their shields/stamina down with a hero and then switch to another to do damage/knockback combos. Each heroes attack is on a timer and they do different amount of strikes depending on their class. That's the basics of it, lots of lane switching heroes. The controls were rough for the first twenty minutes or so, but fortunately there is a quick pause button that will be needed and used often.

There's hundreds of spells/items that augment your heroes to find/unlock. You get a few spells to start with each hero and more can be found/purchased on map locations. There also appears to be 36 different heroes within 3 different classes to find/unlock. From what I can tell, their differences are going to be their starting spells and when you find new spells each character has augments. For example my rogue'ish hero has a slot that says, "Using a buff on a hero buffs your whole party". So when I found the spell Quickstrike:"Recharge target's melee instantly and next melee recharge will also be instant" and had it in that slot... I turned into a killing machine every few minutes.

Only a couple hours in but really enjoying it, it's probably not for everyone though. It was only $20 for a physical copy at Gamestop though, so I know i'll get my monies worth at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

e3's gonna be the real factor over whether it's actually dying out this year or not. It's still got some legs on it for a while though, just for being relatively cheap compared to a Switch and having a pretty good-sized library available.

I never thought they would support two portable devices and sold my 3DS long ago, now I'm not so sure. I'm interested in Fire Emblem: Echoes, Monster Hunter Stories, Culdcept Revolt and maybe Ever Oasis. So if there's anything new at E3 I'll probably pick up a 2DSXL.

• Locked thread