Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm waiting for Amazon to get some consoles in since I have a small fortune in reward points. In the meantime I'm stocking up on accessories and crap so I can hit the ground running once I get one. I've got the screen protector and a microSD, and I'm going to sit on any additional controllers​ until I've used the thing for a while.

Now that it's been out for a bit, have you guys found that you like any particular cases or travel chargers or anything? I'm probably going to lug this fucker to work every day and may as well be ready for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah but without Amiibos we wouldn't have "Griffin's Amiibo Corner" and anything that might result in the loss of a McElroy activity is unacceptable.

This is literally the only thing that has ever made me care about amiibos. That and the thought of collecting some of the lovely characters no one likes or cares about.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Console wars be damned, the real action is trying to figure out which Switch case is best. How irresponsible of Nintendo to open Pandora's box like this.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Man, I have a goddamn ton of Amazon gift credit but no matter how many times I refresh the search results they STILL don't have Switches in stock. Obviously I need to send some nonsense email or tweet to Amazon acting like I actually believe that would make a difference.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Look at all these exclusives coming in 2017 :smaug:

Honestly I forgot about most of these and got real excited for a minute that Frontier Days might be a Rune Factory kinda thing. :smith:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I'm not going to buy physical copies of games because Amazon will never have a Switch in stock for me to buy. :smug:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Dang, I didn't expect to luck into picking up one of the Switches they had on Amazon today. I GUESS I'll start buying games. I'm pretty on the fence about Mario Kart since I didn't get my money's worth out of the Wii U version, but I guess this time I'll be at an office with a bunch of people who have Switches of their own. I guess I have a week or so to decide.

The other must-haves are Puyo, Snipperclips, and Zelda, right? Plus, what accessories do I need to look into getting? I like the look of the ADVcer case and I already have a screen protector, but are there charging gadgets or anything I want to have ready to go?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I guess I should have traded in my Wii U MK8 and ordered a Switch copy so I could not get it and gripe to get some free poo poo/a good digital discount too. Amazon doesn't look like they're taking trade-ins for it anymore and I didn't really think anything of buying it anyway between having the Wii U and not having a Switch in hand yet.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Oh boy, my copy of Zelda and my case just came in. If we're still doing case chat, the Butterfox case looks and feels pretty solid and probably doesn't have any surprises to it, but it smells like a new pair of shoes in the least pleasant way possible. I'm going to air this fucker out before I use it for sure.

My Switch still hasn't arrived, but I guess I could.. pass the time tasting the cartridge.. You know, just to see what the fuss is about.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I watch E3 presentations primarily for stuff like that awkward out of touch guy from a few years ago who told the crowd he knew what they wanted and what they wanted was zombies. Everyone was reaching peak zombie fatigue at that point so there was some audible groaning in the audience.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I hope they bring out Muppet Iwata and he says, "just download an emulator lmbo"

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

My Switch showed up today and was fully charged by the time I got done with work. Man, the new Zelda is awfully fun, and I really like that I was able to take it from the living room to my office so I could be quiet when my wife went to bed. I'm really impressed by how well the visuals and performance hold up in handheld mode too. I guess I'll see how long it takes my coworkers to pressure me into buying MK8D or Puyo Puyo Tetris, but I'm guessing Zelda can tide me over until Disgaea 5 if they don't.

I've got a couple questions though:

1. I have a tiny air (definitely not dust) bubble under my glass screen protector. Do I need to keep massaging that out toward an edge, or should I lift the thing back up a little and try to smooth it back down properly, or do those just kinda go away as the thing settles into place?
2. How do I know whether I have that left joycon defect? It sure seems like the left one's a little more sensitive to range than the right, but the right wasn't perfect all the way across my living room either.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I haven't docked my Switch for more than like twenty minutes and I've played through two full charges just loving around in Zelda. What a weird new format for the franchise. It's a great time.

Someone please convince me to get MK8D despite my only playing a couple hours of MK8 on my Wii U. I used to play Sonic sperg racing with my old coworkers, and maybe I'd play this with my current team? I'm not as sold as I was on Puyo as a multiplayer game.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Having had a Switch for a little less than a week now I've got a couple observations:

2. Having some sort of horrible digestive complaint all weekend really made me appreciate that I could keep playing Zelda all day long regardless of whether I was in the living room or the bathroom.
3. Since I spent a good thirty some hours playing Zelda over the weekend with the Joycons both attached and detached I'm pretty confident that my left Joycon has that connectivity issue since it occasionally stalls or disconnects at distances where my right one works just fine.

I'm debating how to handle the left Joycon problem. This could be a cool excuse to get a Pro Controller while I wait on Nintendo to fix it, or I could send it in and take a break from Zelda and finish Persona while I wait for it to get back, or I could just get a second left Joycon and keep the defective one around to let an opponent use if I'm playing a multiplayer game.and need a competitive edge.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I know a bunch of people with Switches at work. We sometimes talk about how we like the Switch and Zelda. This is pretty farfetched, I know, but it's a true story.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I have Marry-o Kart and Blaster Master ready to go, and I'm pretty close to buying Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Disgaea is almost a sure thing, but I still haven't played anything other than Zelda. God loving dammit do I ever love this game. I keep thinking I'm running out of neat poo poo to find, but then I wander into another cool little thoughtfully designed thing in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if I'm ever going to get around to these other games, or if I even need to.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game, but instead of Dragons and Sorcery, its The Goonies.

drat, I've never been able to come up with a really good description for Earthbound, but that's perfect.

Ciaphas posted:

Oh well! I guess even 10/10 games can't be good to everyone.

This is very true. I was the odd man out when Horizon Zero Dawn (if that counts) came out who enjoyed the game but couldn't stay interested in the gameplay itself. I thought the main plotline was really cool but unlike a few of my friends I couldn't get into the combat at all and as soon as I started to get pieces of the backstory I lost what little interest I had in fighting things or collecting garbage or seeing the world in favor of beelining toward the resolution.

I've definitely found that open world RPGs fall into two categories for me, ones where I spend tons and tons of hours farting around and exploring (e.g. BotW, Bethesda games), and ones where I'm super interested in the plot and would really like the gameplay to stop wasting my time so I can advance it (e.g. HZD, Witcher). I think I prefer the former by kind of a lot.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked BotW but I also agree with a lot of the things people didn't like about it, and I'm legitimately sad that it means the end of 'traditional' Zelda games.

As a huge fan of 2D Metroid games I'm pretty used to that feeling by now.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Truly the future of video games is here, hail Satan.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

How's the Disgaea demo? I haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet, but it's definitely one of the things that had me hype for the Switch.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I'm debating whether to get Zelda wrapped up now or save a little of it for after Disgaea. My first close to a hundred hours playing the Switch have and will all been Zelda, but the 300 following are likely to be Disgaea 5.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I finally got around to switching out Zelda for MK8D.

Trip report: MK8D fun and good and looks really nice on the Switch's screen. Zelda still tastes bad after being played for 60+ hours.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

All MOBAs are still trash

I hope the Switch gets a MOBA so I can stop wanting everything for it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I feel like they could really take the AC formula and do something interesting with it on this thing, sure.

Guess I should go check out my New Leaf town though. I haven't set foot in my office in like three years, I hope elections aren't coming up. :ohdear:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Dizz posted:

I was gonna ask if Disgaea 5 demo save file would transfer to the main game, but there's not much you can even do in it.

I was pretty quick to look it up and see that it didn't, but it's not like I expected to play much. I fired it up, said, "Yep, this is Disgaea alright," saw that it wasn't garbo in handheld mode, and preordered my copy.

I look forward to tasting it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I've been playing nothing but Disgaea. Goddamn do I love those dumb grindy games. I'm looking forward to some more good weeb poo poo coming out for this thing.

Also I've had to bring my 3DS to work since I know some guys who're playing MH4U and wanted me to come clown on some bullshit with my G-rank kit. I really really hope we get MHXX sooner than not at all.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

When are we getting more Nintendo breakfast cereals? They're really missing a long-neglected key vertical here.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Splatoon Cereal with fruit-flavoured rings is a clear missed opportunity :colbert:.

Be sure to fold the bag over when you put the box away. Help your cereal... stay fresh. :smug:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I'd genuinely buy this over the PS4 version. The reason I loved the poo poo out of P4G was because I could play it on Vita in 10-30 minute bursts and P5 has no such equivalent. I can't imagine sitting in front of a TV and playing a Persona game for a long period of time.

Yeah same. I have it for the PS4 and I've clocked about 105 hours and have 10-15 left, but I'm sure I'd have finished it by now if I didn't have to use the living room and share the console with my wife.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I wonder if there are any surprises for the Switch coming up. The new 2D Metroid is the most interesting thing they've announced so far and that's for my lame old 3DS.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

That pisses me off because it's literally right there to be played with whst cant be a tough localization and I have zero desire to play world, and it can't be played on the switch anyways.

It's just leaving money on the table.

Same, World's reveal video was doing nothing for me. I thought it was a weird Turok MonHun clone kinda thing until the Rathalos appeared.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Sunning posted:

If the decision to greenlight a AAA open world Mosnter Hunter game for the PS4 in 2013-2014, then it would've been made in a market where the Wii U had failed, the 3DS had limited growth, and the PS4 looked to be a huge success. At the time, the Switch's final specs were likely in flux and Nintendo was coming off the failure of the Wii U. It that context it would be reasonable to go for a breakout hit overseas rather than double down on a shrinking domestic market.

Of course, the reality of the situation is that the PS4 has had middling success in Japan, the Switch is sold out worldwide, and Capcom's Monster Hunter World will be competing against 10 different AAA co-op open world games by publishers with way more money than them.

It's why we love Capcom.

I guess that's fair, with Xbone/PS4/PC being a bigger deal outside Japan it'd be a strategic move not to bring out MHXX so folks wind up forced into MHW if they want a new one. Whether MHW winds up being the sequel people actually want is anybody's guess at this point.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I thought so, but thank god they said they've got a new 3DS reveal.

Also what the hell, are they really that into continuing to support the 3DS?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

What the poo poo.

Electric Phantasm posted:

gently caress y'all 3DS going out on a bang.

:laffo:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Finally the sushi eating puzzle fighter game we never asked for and didn't want or care about.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

This doesn't have a ton to do with anything in particular, but I watched drat near all the E3 coverage so far this week and I'm pretty sure the Nintendo presentation was the only one that used the word "fun" at any point.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Zelder posted:

Abuse it if you want, it's a single player game

Seriously. Stick it to single player games all you want. Hell, cheat in multi too, who gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

BotW is so good. I've done everything significant but the Ganon fight and I wish I had more to do. I hope they do as good a job with the next Zelda game.

• Locked thread