Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's an idea. Horror movie turns out to be normal people caught in a violent superhero movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Schubalts posted:

There's an idea. Horror movie turns out to be normal people caught in a violent superhero movie.

Logan from Eriq LaSalle's perspective.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Snowman_McK posted:

Also that the clone isn't really a big picture dude. Richard Grant is the only guy who can control him, and he only goes after Logan because he's told Logan killed Grant. There's a good chance that if Logan can hold him off long enough, the clone will just forget about everyone else after killing him and just revert to being completely feral.

I do like the idea of some hikers stumbling across the feral clone a few years later.

Couldn't he track them by scent? They'd be fresh, one's even bleeding already, and I could see him running down at least one or two before getting distracted.

Although the clone doesn't heal properly without that green serum. He spent the entire night hanging from a fence without regenerating his missing eye until he got an injection. All Logan has to do is wound him enough to slow him down, and then he won't be chasing anyone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

EKDS5k posted:

Couldn't he track them by scent? They'd be fresh, one's even bleeding already, and I could see him running down at least one or two before getting distracted.

Although the clone doesn't heal properly without that green serum. He spent the entire night hanging from a fence without regenerating his missing eye until he got an injection. All Logan has to do is wound him enough to slow him down, and then he won't be chasing anyone.

Regardless of that, Logan may be able to hold him off long enough to save at least some of the kids. If they all just stay there and try to fight together they all may die, which is exactly what would have happened without that Adamantium bullet. The entire reason Logan is there is to sacrifice himself, he took a lethal dose of the healing juice knowing that he was going to trade his life for theirs, all of that is pointless if they just stay and die alongside him.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Canada seems to be a safe space for mutants (hence them trying to get there), and they have Alpha Flight who always show up when wolverine tries to cross the border, they're pretty good and reliable.

Also James and Heather from Alpha Flight nursed Wolverine back to sanity after he first escaped Weapon X, maybe they can do it again with the clone? (assuming he's not dead, a bullet to the brain should eventually heal, and maybe the brain damage would disrupt his Weapon X programming?) (also it's like poetry so this is now cannon)

edit: An interesting side product of the revelation at the end wherethey ended mutants from ever being born by putting stuff in the food & water, they could have shown some adverse reactions in the children of the last 25 years - where there is no genetic drift, have the kids looking exactly like their parents, siblings looking exactly the same, stuff like that. There's no real space for it in the movie but removing mutation from reproduction would have some weird and hosed up negative effects.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 11, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well I mean, in the X-Men films 'mutations' are a thing caused by the x-gene, which is separate from natural genetic drift.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Also, kids don't look different from their parents or siblings because of mutations or genetic drift. The negative effects would be, like, reduced adaptability over the course of many, many generations. Not that the whole X-Men mutations thing makes any sense on a practical level at all.

More importantly, you don't want a bunch of identical kids of whatever because one of the approaches of the movie is to show a very familiarly hosed-up world, and introducing a random problem with odd-looking kids would distract from that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

Oh, he could have, definitely. I'm just thinking that maybe he wouldn't. He seemed, by that point, pretty distractable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

"kek" is a World of Warcraft reference that started as a nod to the Korean gamers the former was appropriated from before taking on a life of its own

Where did you hear that loving stupidity? "Kek" in WOW comes from the cross faction comms ban. If you typed in a Horde chat as Alliance or vice versa your words would be scrambled by a substitution cypher. In the Horde to Alliance cypher "kek" translates to "lol".

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
pretty sure korean laugh was hukhukhuk

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Jedit posted:

Where did you hear that loving stupidity? "Kek" in WOW comes from the cross faction comms ban. If you typed in a Horde chat as Alliance or vice versa your words would be scrambled by a substitution cypher. In the Horde to Alliance cypher "kek" translates to "lol".

It is both. People were spamming "kek" in the Starcraft Brood War days because of some connection to the Korean gaming community that eludes me, and it was a WoW word filter.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 14, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was going to say, I remember seeing a ton of "kekekekekeke zerg rush" playing StarCraft games on Battle.net years ago.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I remember Koreans using ㅎㅎㅎ (hehehe without the vowels) and ㅋㅋㅋ (kekeke without vowels) online during the Starcraft days. Since Starcraft was the first major exposure between large groups of western and Korean gamers, I assume it was the Bering Strait by which kekekek entered into the English gaming vocabulary.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 14, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

...yeah, and they made the cypher for "lol" "kek" deliberately. What we said isn't mutually exclusive.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Basebf555 posted:

Regardless of that, Logan may be able to hold him off long enough to save at least some of the kids. If they all just stay there and try to fight together they all may die, which is exactly what would have happened without that Adamantium bullet. The entire reason Logan is there is to sacrifice himself, he took a lethal dose of the healing juice knowing that he was going to trade his life for theirs, all of that is pointless if they just stay and die alongside him.

Oh I get all that, it just stuck out to me that throughout the entire movie Logan's (and his derivatives) heightened senses weren't mentioned at all. I know his eyesight was failing, and it's not like I expected them to shoehorn it in if the movie works without it, just that I noticed the absence.

Also I thought that the juice was more like a generic "amp up your normal powers" kind of serum? In Logan's case this made his healing factor useful again but one of the other kids mentions that they were given it before fighting to make them stronger.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Juice is a generic Amp Up your normal powers, but in particular what it does to Logan ends up making him die faster because his problem is that his extreme regeneration actually did have a point at which it would stop working, like normal cellular regeneration does.

Logan's problem in the movie is that his regeneration is actually just failing because he's been living too long and the Adamantium Skeleton Poisoning him taxed it even further. A Juice that forces his regeneration to act faster heals him like he used to but leaves his powers even more drained.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 8, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Way to thread necro, though at least it is productive.

One consistent, somewhat unspoken aspect of the movies is that mutant powers are basically treated as a discrete, personal 'trait' like an organ or hair colour that can be manipulated, suppressed or enhanced by plot devices or other mutant powers. Days of Future past even shows those traits can be reverse-engineered and incorporated into technology with sufficient work, with terrifying results, and of course not even getting into the mutant kids whose powers are apparently based on specific people, to the point of giving Laura a refined version of Wolverine's adamantium treatment. There's a kind of alchemical theme to the movies; some mutants like Magneto consider themselves superior, some humans (and some mutants) basically agree and want to control, refine and 'perfect' the mutant gene, finding perfection within the body and expressing it in a living thing. (or a machine)

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

geeves posted:

I like when X24 carries Lara off she's screaming "Dad".

X24 was really the weird uncle wasnt he?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Schubalts posted:

That's Batman V Superman

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
I had a lot of fun watching this movie. The nascar paced plot line, the relatable characters with their funny accents and the overall hillbilly setting. And I especially liked the happy ending with the subtle wink at a part two.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

friendo posted:

I had a lot of fun watching this movie. The nascar paced plot line, the relatable characters with their funny accents and the overall hillbilly setting. And I especially liked the happy ending with the subtle wink at a part two.

Yeah, just got out and really enjoyed it. Very light, but always amusing. The stacked cast definitely helped.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the amazing direction and visuals!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

But I thought Famke Janssen killed Professor Eggs

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

KinkyJohn posted:

But I thought Famke Janssen killed Professor Eggs

Days of Future Past changed the timeline. It ends with Future Wolverine chilling with Future Famke at the school.

Also, the following line from Logan gives them an excuse to ignore continuity: "You do know they're all bullshit, right? Maybe a quarter of it happened, and not like this. In the real world, people die, and no self-promoting rear end in a top hat in a loving leotard can stop this."

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Did they ever explain how prof came back after x3 for dofp?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tiriganiaq posted:

Did they ever explain how prof came back after x3 for dofp?

Yeah, at the end of X3 he wakes up in some coma guy's body.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Don't forget the amazing direction and visuals!

i certainly haven't forgotten your proclivity towards devouring your own poo poo

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, at the end of X3 he wakes up in some coma guy's body.

And at the end of wolverine 2, they setup dofp. Kind of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally watched this a few weeks ago and it's definitely a top 3 superhero movie, easily the best film related to the X-Franchise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i certainly haven't forgotten your proclivity towards devouring your own poo poo

I can't believe you developed an internet grudge over me posting screen captures of Logan.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I can't believe you developed an internet grudge over me posting screen captures of Logan.

You sweet summer child. He's already put a contract out on you.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

duz posted:

And at the end of wolverine 2, they setup dofp. Kind of.

They shot that when they were filming DoFP, as I recall, and Kinberg handwaved it away in interviews by saying that the body Xavier's mind transferred to in The Last Stand was his twin brother's or some poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

no, I developed an internet grudge over you consistently being an insufferable rear end in a top hat in every thread you post in

I was seriously gonna let this poo poo go until I realized it's not this movie specifically you have beef with, but rather you just feel innately compelled to poo poo up threads about anything related to the dreaded NEEEEEERDS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Just saw this again on the small screen. Still a very good movie that I like a lot. I really love the 'cyberpunk in a small town' setting and would love more movies like that. Not every gritty future has to be set in a megacity.

Especially because lovely suburbs are looking a hell of a lot more likely at this point given urban development.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 23, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I need to find a movie I really dislike so I can post in a thread about how much I dislike it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

I need to find a movie I really dislike so I can post in a thread about how much I dislike it.

This is more or less why I'm on the internet, so I'm not going to judge, I just wish Lamps was better at it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

This is more or less why I'm on the internet, so I'm not going to judge, I just wish Lamps was better at it.

https://youtu.be/NI7As3rOogo?t=8s

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

no, I developed an internet grudge over you consistently being an insufferable rear end in a top hat in every thread you post in

I was seriously gonna let this poo poo go until I realized it's not this movie specifically you have beef with, but rather you just feel innately compelled to poo poo up threads about anything related to the dreaded NEEEEEERDS

In this thread goons have argued that

- Wolverine is a modern equivalent to Gilgamesh, Odysseus, and Jesus Christ
- history, as an object of study, is inferior to superhero stories
- it's profound how Wolverine used a gun for the first time in this movie (it's not the first movie where he's used a gun)

And that's still the dumbest thing I've read in this thread. Nice meltdown.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
me, broke: it is okay to enjoy things

you, woke: actually enjoying things is bad if they are made for nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol at how people have given up on defending in Logan on terms of its quality as cinema

• Locked thread