Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Are we supposed to use spoiler text or is this a read at your own risk thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The way that Logan deals with the last two figures is important because the end of the movie is Logan transforming back into The Wolverine and going buck-loving wild on the Reavers, but when that runs out - when The Wolverine takes him as far as it can go - he turns into a metaphorical Shane and blows away the bad guys, gunslinger-style.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I haven't seen an X-Men movie since First Class. Will that matter at all?

No. Go see it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good because I'm sure they sucked.

Days of Future Past is good. And I like The Wolverine a lot because the cheesy 80s action movie vibe of it really appeals to me.

Anyway go see it.

Tenzarin posted:

Was an ok movie. So are they rebooting after this?

I think they're just gonna cast a different Wolverine in the 90s X-Man movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SPM posted:

Loved the film but what did Laura say at the end of the film? Really struggled to understand her then.

The quote from Shane that we saw earlier.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hollismason posted:

Also The Great Lakes Avengers were basically all mutants with worthless powers.

I thought they had Squirrel Girl, whose de facto power is "she beats even the most hardcore mightiest villains".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kegslayer posted:

I don't know. The quote from Shane at the end reinforced the fact that the world had still gone to poo poo. Logan might have cleared this valley free of guns but the wild west stays the same and at the end,

I don't know if you haven't seen Shane but the ending of the book and the movie is that the peaceful homesteaders are establishing a better "civilization" and working together and that the evil Ryker was loving that all up with greed. Once Ryker is destroyed from top to bottom (Shane kills both his hired muscle and the man himself) it's portrayed as a total triumph of the good. "There's no more guns in the valley" is true - with Shane riding(dying) off, the homesteaders are free. It's supremely hopeful, almost utopian, and there's nothing about "the wild west staying the same". The metaphorical "valley" is free of all that.

Edit: if you haven't seen Shane you really need to watch it. Logan reflects it extensively.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 7, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's not a lot of criticism about this movie that doesn't revolve around the critic not realizing that this is a partial pastiche of Shane and Wolverine's past is made literal in the story.

This is a movie that looks at the beginning of Origins - with the montage of Wolverine the eternal warrior - and says "that's bad, this guy dealt out misery for centuries and should suffer"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Like everything about Logan in this movie is some element of Shane amped up to 11.

Shane: A little boy who takes to Shane as a father figure is granted a peaceful place to live through Shane's gunfighting skills.
Logan: Same except it's his actual, real daughter.

Shane: Ryker's gunmen are Shane's gunfighter past come back to despoil the present.
Logan: It's literally a younger cloned version of himself.

Now Shane has no direct analogue to Professor X, and Logan has no analogue to the low-key love story playing out in Shane. It's not a direct copy or a remake. But watching Shane will really help the viewer get a handle on what Logan is trying to do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Xavier should have had secret cash stashes" is treating the movie like a puzzle to be solved, and not as a story.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm sorry but that whole post's style is chump. It's CinemaSins-level nitpicking about what SHOULD have happened and how what did happen doesn't make sense because it wasn't explicit enough and I'm so tired of criticism from this perspective. It's battery acid thrown in the face of the discussion - every subsequent post stops talking about the movie and starts addressing all the misconceptions and nitpicking bullet points. No thank you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You really need to tag these spoilers, Skizzzer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's my ringtone now

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shane is really good. It is also very dated and a seminal western, so you might not enjoy it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

The questions i'm raising, like it or not, are the kinds of nitpicky things that get brought up when you discuss marvel/dc comics,

They are not wanted, or welcomed, here. Perhaps you could post your brilliant observations on {literally the entire rest of the internet where this sort of dross is welcomed and even celebrated}.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok Pal, I'm sorry i didn't realize this was a Logan hugbox where we all just sit in a circle and wonder why the movie wasn't rated even higher on Rotten Tomaters...

You've confused "we don't like your boring negative posts" with "we don't like negative posts".

In the interest of being constructive: you admit that a cool action scene made you forget that the film lays its entire thesis at your feet, you continually and repeatedly fail to infer very basic motivations and setting information from what the movie presents, and you spend your time lamenting that CHARACTER X didn't do THING Y like you wanted. It's absolutely godawful go-nowhere criticism that isn't insightful or interesting. Please stop.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 7, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

NmareBfly posted:

Though thinking on the family bit there is one thing that I realized on reflection -- At the very end, Logan says the ambiguous 'so this is what it's like...' line. When I first watched I assumed that it was referencing Xavier's 'this is what family is like' speech but it only just now occurred that real Logan never actually heard that speech. It works thematically, but he wasn't present to hear it so it's a little odd.

There's a minor nitpick, I guess.

He did hear it, actually. He hears it before he goes out to help the farmer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The last sequence of the movie is Logan going from The Wolverine, to Shane, to James Howlett, father and X-Man. It's legit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You forget one step - action figure.

Very true. Into myth.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Steve2911 posted:

If DC takes anything from this it'll be 'we are justified in having Batman kill whoever he wants, and we should make it bloodier'.

That's it.

You're 100% right, except they already made that movie and Batman realizes he was wrong at the end of it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hey, guess what? Y'all were right and DC isn't about to let this opportunity fly by.

http://www.thewrap.com/dc-films-r-rated-superhero-movie/

They already made R-rated Constantine.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

Does Spawn count as well?

New Line - Time Warner - Warner Bros

There's also Blade, which was very successful. This whole "oh my gosh 'R' rate comic movies are a thing now?" is happening because, I assume, most entertainment writers have zero cultural memory of anything before 2008 (and even then, they slept on Punisher: War Zone which is unforgivable)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The people riding in the limo are basically the Kardashians, Eric Trump & Friends, and Dick Cheney.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Steve2911 posted:

He definitely does not.

I'm sorry you didn't pick up on this, but yes he definitely does. There's a big speech at the end and everything.

Here's the official synopsis for Justice League, to be used in all marketing material:

quote:

Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman's (Henry Cavill) selfless act, Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) enlists newfound ally Diana Prince to face an even greater threat. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to recruit a team to stand against this newly awakened enemy. Despite the formation of an unprecedented league of heroes -- Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and the Flash -- it may be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

Bolding mine.

Anyway this is the Logan thread, so if you want to continue this let's go over to the General Comic Book Discussion side and yack about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gyges posted:

Honestly more attempts at cinematic universes should do the same: Loose continuity where the needs of the current film are more important than making sure everything fits together like a giant puzzle.

Marvel is already doing this. "The Redemption of Tony Stark" and then by the next film he's a prick again.

• Locked thread