Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Very good movie, and had one villain I'm very glad they kept out of the trailers (unless you had a real eagle eye) and who I thought fit the story perfectly and was used just the right amount.

It could have been slightly better, but it's easily the best wolverine stand-alone (and ranks up there with days of future past and X-men 2), a rad farewell to the characters and the actors who played them, and really showed that every comic book movie doesn't need a massive team or insane special effects, and can instead rely on strong character work and a smaller cast. I don't expect to see it ever, but it'd be interesting to see the MCU's take on this sort of story. I can't imagine it'd ever be rated-R, but drat now I want a run-down Captain America who's lost faith in his country, or something along those lines.

Ending was also drat sweet, and I think works pretty drat well as a sum-up, and epilogue to, the themes and movies of the x-men.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think they're just gonna cast a different Wolverine in the 90s X-Man movie.

That's the way to go, no sign of comic book movies stopping anytime soon and Wolverine's too much of a money/important character to leave out, I'm down to see a fresh take on the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I would have liked to see Laura get hurt more often. Granted violence against children is always problematic, even in works of fiction, but with her power being healing based I felt like we should have seen it happen a bit more, and not just bloodstains after the fact. I do give them credit for not completely avoiding this though, there's certainly one huge wounding pretty much right off the bat.

I'd also have liked a moment of dark levity where both Logan and Laura get shot by a guy and dispatch him quickly with no further threats around and we see Laura pop out the bullet and have no scar from where it hit in a matter of seconds while Logan just has it sitting in his arm and has to dig it out with a claw or something, grumbling about getting old while he does so.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gatts posted:

And as fantasy booking as this is, I thought the ending would be Logan dying and finding that the kids were being drawn to Jean across the border as she was reborn from the Phoenix and she'd be there to comfort him in death. But what we got was very good.

I can't really argue against what they did, seeing the massive x-men cast whittled down to three sad mutants hiding in Mexico and man-made mutants created as soldiers was very effective at hammering home how much the x-men have lost. The few survivors are crippled shadows of their former selves and their replacements are a warmongering perversion of their goal to get along with humanity. I prefer the idea that the person on the radio helping the kids is a human who's just trying to help them out, similar to Laura's nurse, and a sign that even though it's a crapsack world there are still good people in it.

I'd actually be down for a movie focused on all those poor kids set around 10 years from the end of the movie, dealing with having been trained to be child soldiers and hating the world, trying to take down powerful government contractors and corporations. It's a very different psychology for a superhero team than we've seen in a movie.

• Locked thread