Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm glad that the motivating factor to get rid of mutants was to get back to the more pressing matter of oppressing and exploiting Mexicans. Logan's vision of Pence's 2029 America is looking pretty hectic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fistboy posted:

Just got back from it and absolutely loved it. It was almost more of a Mad Max/The Wrestler/Walk the Line mashup than a superhero movie to me.

Hugh Jackman is as good as expected but Patrick Stewart stole the show for me. His portrayal of Xavier really hit close to home because he reminded me so much of my dad in his last year before he passed. Losing his memory and being unable to take care of himself. The dinner scene where he was just enjoying the company of others to where Logan took him to his bed was a little rough to watch for me.

Weakest part of the movie to me was the villains but that's really not the point of the movie though.

One thing I might have missed?
The villain with the metal hand. Did his hand factor into anything at all? Other than "Hey I'm kinda like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget?"

It was supposed to go hand in hand with the genetically tampering with food to design the perfect homo sapien. Cybernetic enhancements and farming dead mutants for their powers looked like that was the villain from Hudson Hawk's agenda.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bullets impact at greater velocities than fists.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 4, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You know Affleck's Batman's going to be an R-rated fuckfest now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

X-24 loved his dad. Did you see his reaction when he seen his brains blown out?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Accretionist posted:

You're forgetting one important scene, though, where the X24 wrecks a whole bunch of assholes. I loved that scene because of how many assholes get killed

It was a good parallel to the beginning with Logan turning those Mexican dudes to carne asada.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

The black chubby kid running in the forest made me laugh so hard.

He's supposed to be a mutant?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Some guy in my theater did a full on guttural "YEEEAAAAHHH!" when Laura blew bad Logan's brains out.

It's like, bro, you're American, we get it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks for reminding me how distracting Laura's cg booger drip was during that scene.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait X-23's speech at the end is a quote from another movie? Is it from Shane? I completely and totally missed that.

She literally parrots what they were watching on tv earlier in the movie (hint: they even say the name of the movie in that scene).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

babypolis posted:

I liked the more subtle aspect of the lovely dystopian future where everything is ruled by evil corporations (I mean even more so than right now). Just getting a card from the Alkali or whatever it was called company is enough for superhero Wolverine to lose his poo poo. They bring a bunch of mexican federal police to try to murder a little girl and corporate security forces can murder people at will

I like that it goes completely unchallenged by all, even the black family stand-in for middle america. Like, their beef with the BIG FARMING is their water, no one in this movie is in a position to challenge the established hierarchy.

America deserves this future.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That's not TV. That's HBO.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If I remember right, there was an R version and a pg-13 version. In video cassettes at least. It may have only shown in theatres as the pg-13 version.

The theatrical version was the PG-13 version because I remember hearing Spawn say "Bitchin'!" as his cape deploys when he falls out of that building, then when the home release came out, they redubbed it so he was like "gently caress yeah!" or whatever.

I thought it was real hilarious hearing Spawn say bitchin' in the theater so I was pretty disappointed that they decided to extreme it up for the home release.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone else find themselves disgusted when one of his knuckle claws only half came out?

:flaccid:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Not really, though? It was kinda funny in a "wow she's speaking really fast in a language me and the other person don't understand" way, but it's a lot funnier that I know what she's saying.

The droid abduction scene in Star Wars is a lot funnier when you know what the Jawas are saying, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the movie will be better for dumbing it down for the audience.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Jawas are speaking an actual human language though. It's Zulu.

E: and their conversations have to do with the identity of personhood, as they're abducting runaway slaves. It very much can add context to the scene. There's an interview with Trevor Noah where he talks about watching that scene when he was younger and understanding what their conversation was about.

Now, do you need that explicitly stated for the scene to work? No, so why should it be any different for Logan?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 10, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Adding fart noises and clown horns would make it funny too, wouldn't mean it's not stupid.

How about this, learn a loving second language instead of being willfully ignorant to other's dialects and you can be in on the inside joke with the rest of us.

Bonus points for actually culturally stimulating your own lifestyle as well, how about that?

You do realize how many people speak Spanish in this country, yes? And how some (most, depending on who you ask) white Americans react when they don't understand what's being spoken?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 10, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Like I said, dumbing down the movie by literally spelling words out for people like you who cannot infer what's going on by just WATCHING WHAT'S ON SCREEN does not make it better or funnier.

It's not like this is some deep rear end movie either. It's a comic book movie that pretty much writes its actions and motives out in crayon on screen. The fact that you can't wrap your head around even that baseline reading of the scene says a lot about you.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 10, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tangentially related, I just saw Kong Skull Island and (end credits scene spoiler) the movie spoils its own end tag by listing all the monster names copyrighted by Toho right at the tail end of the credits, so if you're reading the credits at the end of the movie, it completely spoils what happens in the tag.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

The x-movie timeline is iffy, but I think he got the adamantium grafted to his skeleton in the late 70s/early 80s. Let's call it 1980. Meaning that in 2029 (when Logan takes place) he's had it for almost 50 years, plus 15 or so of those years were heavy wear and tear as a result of various X-adventures. Given that his healing factor kept him young and healthy for most of a century before the adamantium it's pretty safe to say that the metal is what's killing him.

Ugh, thanks for reminding me how old I'll be in 2029. :mad:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm just glad that a tired and worn out comic book plot contrivance evil clone! is being touted and lourded by goons in this thread in tyool 2017.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I bet there was some Roman centurion making fun of all the little Jew kids with their Jesus idols toys. He probably poo poo talked the gospels and wrote on some message board carved in the wailing wall that this joke religion with all their toys idols is pretty transparent in its pandering to the masses, not like a REAL religion or ideology or anything.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And lol, you reject the purpose and meaning of history to defend funnybooks.

'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'

lol that you think your western fed education has a sense of what "history" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It should've been sculpted from a woodblock.

• Locked thread