Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Doesn't Logan take place in 2059 or something?

I think it's less than that. Don't remember the exact year but I think it's about 20 years in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Fistboy posted:

Well they say the Westchester incident and that's where the X Mansion is so I'm guessing Xavier killed a ton of mutants. Also guessing that's why they're in the middle of nowhere Mexico so if he has a similar incident less people will get killed.

It also explains why Logan is trying to get them a boat. He wants to keep them isolated.

My only real complaint is that it ends with the wrong Johnny Cash song. I know it got used in the trailer, but come on, 'Hurt' was a perfect song to use.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

themrguy posted:

Didn't really like how the end of mutants was the result of an evil plot to put things in corn.

Would have much preferred it if there was just a vaccine for mutants or something like that that everyone gets in infancy or something.

I mean it basically is:

The corn syrup is the vaccination. The kids were genetically engineered to be a mutant army. As Logan notes, there hasn't actually been a mutant born in 25 years.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I actually think it proves that Superhero movies (Though you could barely call LOGAN that) work better with smaller stakes rather than the world/galaxy/universe being at stake.

Ultimately, this is a world where the villains have already won. You get hints at the outside world and it's not all that pretty. And the only stakes are a man and the hope for a better future for some children.

Also, I'm glad the name Freddy Kruger gets remembered in 2029.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This was a really grimdark film, and I didn't like that aspect but it was very bold and felt like a real sendoff for a series that started a long time ago.

It's a shame they're gonna follow up with more movies because that was a fantastic ending. "So this is what it feels like." was great.

I'm kind of interested to see what happens from here on out. It seems that Jackman really pushed for this to be his last outing as Wolverine (And he's been talking about that for a while), but the X-MEN continuity is so loving wild that they're bound to try and bring him back somehow. Stewart did say he was done, but then the other day he did namedrop DEADPOOL so who knows. For what it's worth I hope that's it for these characters. They've got a legitimately great grace note to go out on, let McAvoy play Xavier from now on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I liked THE WOLVERINE quite a bit, but the third act feels like it has come from a different movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

got any sevens posted:

I'm guessing they suffered injuries in the line of their job...

efb

It kind of speaks to the approach that Mangold takes as well. You can put it all together: At some point everyone had their limbs intact until they hosed around and genetically engineered killing machines. There's no real reason to elaborate on it beyond that. Same as the 'Westchester incident'. I mean the only real information you get is from a line on the radio. There's a lot of information that just happens in the peripheral.

• Locked thread