Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
setting and writing are a+++ combat is mediocre but bearable mechanics are kind of crap. graphics are what you'd expect (engine rudimentary, some nice art).

dense in ideas like good dying earth is meant to be. some things from the first five hours:

(1) The first thing yo usee walking into the city is a method of execution whereby all of the wrongs and evil someone has done are extracted from their psyche over several days into a living creature which then kills the person and dissipates. A cannibal cult that gets knowledge from eating people then devours the corpse to give details of the wrongdoing

(2) Of my companions so far, one is a woman who accidentally put herself in contact with thousands of different copies of her in the multiverse, some who made the same mistake she did, some of whom are plotting to kill the others for accidentally putting them in contact

(3) Another is an idiot like the Tick who has three voices in his head driving him to do random acts of 'heroism' to keep from any time of self-reflection. He has some kind of nanotech aura around him protecting him from his own stupidity.

(4) The first city uses a militia where it builds the police by taking a year of each citizen's life to make it into a construct. If the year they took is bad (say, they die violently in the year that was taken) the construct is mentally damaged

(5) A mutant in the poor area has some kind of mutation that causes tattoo type lines to appear. He found an augment that maps areas he discovers as he discovers them, making it so his entire body is covered in maps; it has some kind of narcotic effect so he does it as his life purpose.

(6) A guy from a warrior race who had some kind of slave interdimensional whale that connected them all psychically and they drifted throughout time/dimensions conquering new civilisations until they hosed with your dad in game and he killed all of them but one who he bound to one time and forced to be peaceful and answer any question put to him

good stuff. i have been pretty happy with the revival of the isometric rpg subgenre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I love OPs that look like CIA documents

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I love OPs that look like CIA documents

something else that's funny is a guy that sells cybernetic implants that had some strange side-effect that makes him incapable of lying and hitler tells you in exacting detail how painful and awful every implant you'll get will be and how he's ripping youargentina off

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm liking it a lot. It's loving weird in a really cool way that makes it so you never know what you're going to see when you enter a new area.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Torment to play

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Tor meant to uninstall this.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i like it but there's a huge problem - no 'i feel stronger'

Dec 26, 2012

it's good so far. aiming hard as i can for silver tide

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

01011001 posted:

Look at this loser not going for gold

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Torment numanuma mai-a hiiiii lmao

Dec 26, 2012

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Look at this loser not going for gold

look at this loser going for anything but silver

Dec 26, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

01011001 posted:

My character keeps switching between blue, gold, and silver.

I love how even the vendor trash is really unique and weird. I just looted a piece of trash called The Antagonist, which appears to be nothing more than a small smooth stone no matter how carefully you inspect it, unless you laugh around it in which case it starts howling with rage to drown you out until you stop. It has no other function.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Toilet Two Men Oral

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

Toilet Two Men Oral

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Torment.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
This sounds like a pretty good game, OP.

Dec 26, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

Toilet Two Men Oral

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

HolePisser1982 posted:

Toilet Two Men Oral

lol

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

BBJoey posted:

i like it but there's a huge problem - no 'i feel stronger'

Updated my journal

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Neurosis posted:

setting and writing are a+++ combat is mediocre but bearable mechanics are kind of crap. graphics are what you'd expect (engine rudimentary, some nice art).

dense in ideas like good dying earth is meant to be. some things from the first five hours:

(1) The first thing yo usee walking into the city is a method of execution whereby all of the wrongs and evil someone has done are extracted from their psyche over several days into a living creature which then kills the person and dissipates. A cannibal cult that gets knowledge from eating people then devours the corpse to give details of the wrongdoing

(2) Of my companions so far, one is a woman who accidentally put herself in contact with thousands of different copies of her in the multiverse, some who made the same mistake she did, some of whom are plotting to kill the others for accidentally putting them in contact

(3) Another is an idiot like the Tick who has three voices in his head driving him to do random acts of 'heroism' to keep from any time of self-reflection. He has some kind of nanotech aura around him protecting him from his own stupidity.

(4) The first city uses a militia where it builds the police by taking a year of each citizen's life to make it into a construct. If the year they took is bad (say, they die violently in the year that was taken) the construct is mentally damaged

(5) A mutant in the poor area has some kind of mutation that causes tattoo type lines to appear. He found an augment that maps areas he discovers as he discovers them, making it so his entire body is covered in maps; it has some kind of narcotic effect so he does it as his life purpose.

(6) A guy from a warrior race who had some kind of slave interdimensional whale that connected them all psychically and they drifted throughout time/dimensions conquering new civilisations until they hosed with your dad in game and he killed all of them but one who he bound to one time and forced to be peaceful and answer any question put to him

good stuff. i have been pretty happy with the revival of the isometric rpg subgenre.

This sounds cool. Thanks. Im not going to make fun of the name of the game though I could easily do so.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ths game does look cool but im broke as poo poo nd wont be able to spend more than 15 bucks on a game until persona 5 comes out

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

extremely steampunk posted:

Updated my journal

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I hate reading op. Topic Locked.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wasteland 2 kind of sucked and I didn't trust another game by the same guys to be good or have good writing just because it has the same word in the title as another game by different people did 15 years ago. It sounds cool though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wasteland 2 kind of sucked and I didn't trust another game by the same guys to be good or have good writing just because it has the same word in the title as another game by different people did 15 years ago. It sounds cool though.

I have no nostalgia for Planescape whatsoever because I just bought it for the first time from gog like a month or two ago and only put maybe 15 minutes into it before it fell victim to the dreaded backlog and I'm still hooked on Torment. I've barely played anything else since it came out.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Doubt it OP, and irregardless I'm not giving those clowns at InXile any more of my money.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i played wasteland at release and didn't like it - seemed to have some very anti-fun mechanics and for some reason it made the temperatures of my at the time high end computer ridiculous. they seem to have put in a lot of work since then, and i've been thinking of giving it another try once i'm done with torment given how much i like torment and reading a plot summary for wasteland 2 and thinking it maybe had some interesting aspects, but seeing these kinds of sentiments doesn't bode well.

probably 2/3 through torment. still loving it. a guy in the games thread did a big effort post on how the central plot's themes in this game aren't as good as those in planescape torment. unlike many short essays posted on this forum about videogames and other childish things it actually seemed to have some merit. nonetheless, the weird sci fi stuff in this tickles my brain in a way planescape's fantasy stuff didn't, so i'm having a hard time accepting numenera is less fun than planescape (having done a playthrough of planescape immediately before this game out, and a few others over hte years)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Neurosis posted:

unlike many short essays posted on this forum about videogames and other childish things it actually seemed to have some merit.
it KINDA does if you subscribe to the idea that everything needs to hold up to the random standards of good that you learned in high school english class, it's well supported from that angle. however since the 90s ended everyone outside of schools has basically been sliding toward 'the gently caress does it matter if a lot of people like it/talk about it/learn from it lol' and from that perspective tides does at least as good a job as torment did. i see tons of people becoming thinkgamers because tides does a good job of sucking them in and challenging them nicely whereas torment was basically 'hey man gently caress you if you never played an infinity engine game and don't like reading entire novella in one sitting'

don't get me wrong i love the poo poo out of torment but that game was loving hard to get into

i kinda liked wl2 but the turn based combat can get super slow at times. i remember spending an entire evening on one dungeon and having to walk back to the beginning to have the npcs remind me what my goals were in there because it took so long to plod my way through the combat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Planes of torment was basically the video game version of being forced to read someone's diary

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Little Garry Parrish posted:

Planes of torment was basically the video game version of being forced to read someone's diary
:whitewater:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I hate reading

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Little Garry Parrish

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Fungah! posted:

Little Garry Parrish

He's a stupid small bitch. I spit on him

Dec 26, 2012

Neurosis posted:

i played wasteland at release and didn't like it - seemed to have some very anti-fun mechanics and for some reason it made the temperatures of my at the time high end computer ridiculous. they seem to have put in a lot of work since then, and i've been thinking of giving it another try once i'm done with torment given how much i like torment and reading a plot summary for wasteland 2 and thinking it maybe had some interesting aspects, but seeing these kinds of sentiments doesn't bode well.

probably 2/3 through torment. still loving it. a guy in the games thread did a big effort post on how the central plot's themes in this game aren't as good as those in planescape torment. unlike many short essays posted on this forum about videogames and other childish things it actually seemed to have some merit. nonetheless, the weird sci fi stuff in this tickles my brain in a way planescape's fantasy stuff didn't, so i'm having a hard time accepting numenera is less fun than planescape (having done a playthrough of planescape immediately before this game out, and a few others over hte years)

i really want to like wl2 but it's pretty half-baked in a lot of ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i just stopped playing wl2 because it got to the point where i didn't give a poo poo any more

• Locked thread