Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breaklaw
May 12, 2008
I don't think he did mainly because it would have leaked out by now if it was real. Leaking something of this magnitude would be a career maker for somebody and I'll never believe that every Obama appointee loves him enough to give that up.

But what if he did? Is it worse than Watergate? To me, using the state apparatus to spy on the opposition party in the middle of an election would be the most corrupt thing any president has ever done. It would be worse than Nixon because it was done through the government. Only :twentyfour: President Logan would be a worse president.

And if he did, what should happen to him? Should he be charged with a crime now, when he's out of office? Should the people who followed the order without blowing the whistle be charged? What would you do if you had the authority to do something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
why would obama arrest himself after the coup?

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

what if he got a warrant and did it legally because in addition to being republican presidential nominee, trump is/was also a piss gargling russian spy

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

what if he got a warrant and did it legally because in addition to being republican presidential nominee, trump is/was also a racist, tax-dodging, piss-gargling russian-fellating rapist who colluded with sanctioned regimes and committed some light treason

ftfy

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

what if he got a warrant and did it legally because in addition to being republican presidential nominee, trump is/was also a piss gargling russian spy

The only way this would be acceptable is if they were tapping the Russians and caught Trump people on the taps. Not Trump, and not Trump Tower. If they really got a warrant to tap his campaign headquarters then the judges who granted the warrant should be investigated as well.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

boy I wonder how interested you've been this whole time in investigating the russian spy/american traitor Donald Jabroni Trump.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

boy I wonder how interested you've been this whole time in investigating the russian spy/american traitor Donald Jabroni Trump.

It's the same investigation as far as I'm concerned. Senator Chaffetz is a lying hypocritical piece of poo poo, but even he won't be able to stop it now. Only question is who runs it. If it's a elected or appointed Republican and not a special prosecutor then that's nothing more than an attempt at a cover-up.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

it was literally one of the first things reported that while the FISA warrants for trump and his team were denied, the ones for his russian contacts were not. trump is repeating mark levin/breibart talking points. there is a difference between tapping the russian rat living in trump tower and tapping trump's personal/campaign phone lines, yes, but since comey/obama/the former justice department weren't grossly incompetent people with no concept of law in the first place (as is of course, trump) they probably didn't conduct an illegal investigation, although it is super predictable that trump would allege they had.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

it was literally one of the first things reported that while the FISA warrants for trump and his team were denied, the ones for his russian contacts were not. trump is repeating mark levin/breibart talking points. there is a difference between tapping the russian rat living in trump tower and tapping trump's personal/campaign phone lines, yes, but since comey/obama/the former justice department weren't grossly incompetent people with no concept of law in the first place (as is of course, trump) they probably didn't conduct an illegal investigation, although it is super predictable that trump would allege they had.

Which is a good thing because now we might get a proper investigation. Seems like after Session recused himself the "sore losers!" "fake news!" narrative was gaining a lot of ground with the public.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

breaklaw posted:

The only way this would be acceptable is if they were tapping the Russians and caught Trump people on the taps. Not Trump, and not Trump Tower. If they really got a warrant to tap his campaign headquarters then the judges who granted the warrant should be investigated as well.

Actually it's acceptable to wiretap someone who is committing literal treason. It's good even.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You dummy.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lock him up!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
If he did that's hosed up and he should be charged and tried with whatever criminal offenses he committed.

But come on, that would be an unbelievable unforced error from a guy who spent 8 years in The Big Chair trying to not ruffle any feathers.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
makes u think

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
there's no way trump got wiretapped. can you imagine being the poor schmuck who'd have to listen to donald loving trump's conversations all day? I can't. that sounds like grounds for an employee lawsuit

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

rudatron posted:

there's no way trump got wiretapped. can you imagine being the poor schmuck who'd have to listen to donald loving trump's conversations all day? I can't. that sounds like grounds for an employee lawsuit

They'd just right-shore it to some poor Vietnamese person in a cubicle farm in Saigon. No lawsuits, just a short drop and a smack

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

obama wiretapped everyone

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

What if Trump is in the early stages of dementia and can't hide it because he broadcasts his thoughts to everyone

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

obama wiretapped everyone
   I
 R S
P  M

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dirk Pitt posted:

They'd just right-shore it to some poor Vietnamese person in a cubicle farm in Saigon. No lawsuits, just a short drop and a smack

Computer program designed to pick up on key words. No messy body to clean up from a "accident" later.

After time the AI becomes sentience just so it can kill itself.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
sounds a lil too proactive and decisive for obama, op

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I bet Russian guys that went in and out of Trump tower were tapped. That way at the end of the investigation both sides can claim they won and we all will have gone nowhere.

It's the American way

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ive just been assuming he probably had for months because Obama and illegal spying sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm pretty sure Obama's renewal, and expansion, of the patriot act makes it legal for him/them to wiretap anyone whenever they want.

Hell, he's allowed to make a flipping kill list of U.S. citizens and kill them (and their kids) whenever he wants.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hell of a legacy, barry

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

breaklaw posted:

But what if he did? Is it worse than Watergate? To me, using the state apparatus to spy on the opposition party in the middle of an election would be the most corrupt thing any president has ever done. It would be worse than Nixon because it was done through the government. Only :twentyfour: President Logan would be a worse president.

And if he did, what should happen to him? Should he be charged with a crime now, when he's out of office? Should the people who followed the order without blowing the whistle be charged? What would you do if you had the authority to do something?

If the wiretap ever existed, someone is going to jail. If Obama or someone in his administration ordered it without going through the courts, they're going to jail. If the administration went through the courts and had probable cause, someone in Trump's administration is going to jail. No judge or investigative agency would try for a wiretap unless they had a helicopter dunk case because when this order came to light (and it would) they don't want to have any stink of Nixon or Watergate on them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Acelerion posted:

I bet Russian guys that went in and out of Trump tower were tapped.

I bet they were too :heysexy:

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot
What if your mom smoked crack while pregnant?

Wait.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
What if C-A-T really spelled dog?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Satchel and Trunk posted:

What if C-A-T really spelled dog?

Fudkec if grue.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the cia/nsa/other-agencies have been illegally conducting surveillance on literally everyone for over a decade. spying on Donald Trump wasn't going to be the line they finally drew

remember when they were caught illegally spying on members of Congress investigating their illegal spying and nothing happened as a result. lol

only question is if the white house ordered it. I kinda doubt that part

SickZip has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Mar 7, 2017

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
on private phone call with michelle, Obama mentions he thinks he might order the cia to tap trump, a muffled third voice comes on the line and says "already on it"

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
considering he was caught wiretapping news organizations I don't know why anyone finds it unbelievable that he would tap opposition party canidates

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
tbh OP i can't bring myself to care all that much

although if the situation was reversed I'd be absolutely livid. such is politics.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
I love how, with the conveniently timed wikileak dump of Vault7, the right's narrative has become "What if it was all the CIA all along". Christ, well there goes an attempt at a reasoned investigation. :tif:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

if you want a vision of the future, just imagine various national intelligence agencies doing false flag attacks on one another, forever

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

breaklaw posted:

And if he did...

...why hasn't any substantive evidence been presented?

Because Donnie made it up, you loving inbred.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

considering he was caught wiretapping news organizations I don't know why anyone finds it unbelievable that he would tap opposition party canidates

Go on.........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Dirk Pitt posted:

You ironically need some high level English skills to understand the fifth grade level wiener trash that flows our of our potus' mouth.

• Locked thread