Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The fact that HEPHAESTUS also went berserk and started to run against its programming around the same time as HADES makes it a pretty good bet that HADES just went buggo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vermain posted:

The fact that HEPHAESTUS also went berserk and started to run against its programming around the same time as HADES makes it a pretty good bet that HADES just went buggo.

I thought it wasn't that HEPHAESTUS went haywire, just that a lot of poo poo went broken at the same time. AI wasn't supposed to be making terraforming robots still when the humans emerged from their crèche, was it? HEPHAESTUS was just making stronger and more dangerous robots to respond to the new threats, then HADES corrupted them further.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skwirl posted:

I thought it wasn't that HEPHAESTUS went haywire, just that a lot of poo poo went broken at the same time. AI wasn't supposed to be making terraforming robots still when the humans emerged from their crèche, was it? HEPHAESTUS was just making stronger and more dangerous robots to respond to the new threats, then HADES corrupted them further.

They all went haywire, just in different ways. The whole plan of ZD was to have GAIA the super-AI, running the strategy according to some loose pre-set plans, then each of the subroutines had some degree of autonomy and sentience on carrying out her will. So where GAIA would need some robotic animal that pulled toxic metals out of the soil, she'd have HEPHAESTUS figure out what worked best for the unique deployment scenario at that time. Naturally there's going to be times when Hephaestus needs to bring his menagerie back into the cauldrons for recycling and while GAIA would have been able to just issue that order, losing that authority means HEPHAESTUS is going to try not to have its creations destroyed just so someone can have a baller bike-reflector headdress, Nil. It's going to fight back and send out goddamn robosaurus rex there with lasers and missiles and jesus christ it just bashed her over a mountain with his tail.

So when the signal broke those leashes, every subroutine just kind of went off to do its own thing, including DEMETER with those metal poem flowers and HADES with the kill-everything directive. The way the gross nerd in the lore described his design of HADES sort of follows what happens but GAIA would have known the source of the signal.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically there was a massive oversight regarding HADES: once the cradles were activated, HADES should have been permanently disabled as a fail safe. ELEUTHIA only has the resources to plop out a single generation of humans, there is one and only one chance to reintroduce humans into the biosphere.

Yes, the ability of human civilization to manage the environment was crippled by a loss of APOLLO, but there was no guarantee of APOLLO's effectiveness in the first place, and even fully fledged 22nd century humans had a hard time dealing with DEEP SILVER, the first generation of rogue AIs.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I haven't finished the game yet, but people who have, is there the possibility in the setting for a reincarnation of Faro just as Aloy was a reincarnation of Lizzie?

It would be great in the next game if an unknowing Faro clone was about but he was just, like, a decent guy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Hrm. I suggest you finish the game first. Then your (perfectly valid, good) question may take on a different context.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'd dig it. Returning Far Zenith humans prop up a Ted Faro clone who slowly has to come to terms with the monster he was brewed from.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

When I played the game the first time I was really interested in getting more on the Shadow Carja (outside of the Eclipse), particularly their whole weird child king figurehead thing that you get just a glimpse of it in the Sunfall part. I finally got the DLC and decided to clear out a couple of older quests first, so imagine my surprise to find there's a whole quest chain about it. Kind of a major one too, since it ends with Bahavas dead and Itamen and his mother defecting to Meridian. I'm really surprised this wasn't part of the main quest line.

Also I forgot just how wonderful this game is in its little details and sense of atmosphere. Even just wandering around getting collectibles is great for the beautiful environments you see along the way.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bringing a bit of life to this thread since I beat both base game and DLC like a few weeks ago.

Is there a good recap video of the entire plot? I'm sure I got the general idea and I don't have much holes but here's what I got.

-Ted Faro, the biggest dickhead wants to make more money and creates Skynet level of fuckery bots for military uses. Some can even eat organic to build poo poo up.

-Elisabeth Sobeck threats him when things get out of hand and start the Zero Dawn Project but then Ted Faro fucks it up because he's an rear end in a top hat.

-poo poo fucks up badly and people get out Fallout style but without the knowledge and start from 0 so humanity get a "fresh" start but with bots around instead of the real Project which was getting a rebuilt earth for an actually aware of what happen humanity (thanks Ted again!).

-Humanity do their tribal poo poo and go (pre)medieval on each other because humans.

-Sylens, a more curious guy than the average joe finds Hades and starts repairing it because what would go wrong.

-Gaia(?) pops out a clone of Elisabeth as backup plan (?) and gets shunned because religion poo poo but eventually gets back up and owns.

What I still don't get why Gaia blows up to stop Hades when at the end It was a 1v1 situation and yet still, Hades scapes and Sylens grabs the "copy".

The DLC is about another subsystem going nuts and you eventually "stop" it but what I get is that every other AI is doing whatever they want and I guess more games.

I know that Elisabeth's plan was to destroy the machines and live in bunkers until Gaiga could terraform (sounds weird doing that on Earth) and make it a good place to live but how the hell no one made Ted unable to gently caress stuff up knowing he's a shithead well before the machines went rogue. I know he's the CEO and that poo poo but you don't simply put the red button close to a dickhead without some kind of mechanic to need others to approve whatever he does to the ENTIRE drat PLANET.

This is the main plot, substories like the Nora, Carja, Shadow Carja and that are clear, same with the DLC. Anything big I missed?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To answer some of your questions...

Random Side Quest is a youtube channel that goes into great detail over everything related to Horizon Zero Dawn lore.

1. GAIA blew herself up to stop HADES from taking control of her subfunctions to reverse the terraforming process and kill all life on Earth. HADES was basically just doing what he was always programmed to do, except it was about 1,000 years too late and humans had already repopulated the planet. About 20 years ago some unknown messenger sent a signal that caused HADES to reactivate, along with decoupling all of GAIA's other subfunctions. In a last bid attempt to stop that from happening, GAIA self-destructed and commanded the Eleuthia-9 facility to generate a clone of Elisabet Sobeck that would one day restore her. No longer able to access GAIA directly, HADES began to search for alternate ways of killing all life on Earth, and found a convenient shortcut in the form of ten million dormant Faro robots. Eventually he settled in the wreckage of a Horus, which is where Sylens found him. Sylens had nothing to do with its activation, only with bringing HADES back to power. Left to his own devices HADES would have just sat in a deactivated metal devil for all eternity.

2. The Alphas were never aware that Ted Faro had access to the system. He likely had his engineers working in secret to grant him the Omega Clearance that allowed him to hijack GAIA Prime and vent the control room. You see this being set up in the Zero Dawn facility where Ted pleads with Sobeck to implement a killswitch for GAIA.

3. The Zero Dawn scientists never expected to return to a habitable earth. According to their own timeline it would take 50 years just to crack the shutdown codes and another 200 just to release phase-1 organisms back into the environment. Elysium and other underground bunkers were basically just gigantic living mausoleums for the remaining humans on earth to live out their lives.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 14, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah got 1 and 2. As for 3, I know the original scientists weren't meant to return to earth because it would take hundreds of years just to rebuild the planet but, didn't they setup schools and such for the new generations (clones or natural born) to keep the humanity alive until they could open the bunkers/vaults and then go outside again? There are a bunch of holothings that show childs getting upset at one AI, then teenagers and so until I guess, something happened and they went out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Guillermus posted:

Yeah got 1 and 2. As for 3, I know the original scientists weren't meant to return to earth because it would take hundreds of years just to rebuild the planet but, didn't they setup schools and such for the new generations (clones or natural born) to keep the humanity alive until they could open the bunkers/vaults and then go outside again? There are a bunch of holothings that show childs getting upset at one AI, then teenagers and so until I guess, something happened and they went out.

The humans in the cradle facilities aren't directly connected to the pre-apocalypse humans. They were genetic clones birthed ~250 years after all life on Earth went extinct, who were meant to partake of APOLLO but kicked out by the servitors as adolescents because the schoolrooms and all subsequent areas were blocked off, courtesy of Ted Faro loving over the world yet again. There was a period of some 200+ years in which there was no living human on the planet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guillermus posted:

You seem to have fundamentally misunderstood some things. No humans survived living in the bunkers. They didn't have the resources to do that. All the bunkers did was provide a place for the people who worked on the project to finish their work, and then live out however long the rest of their lives were. Humanity was not kept alive, for a time it effectively went extinct.

The cradles held the tools to resurrect humanity once it was time. Hundreds of years later when the earth was almost ready for habitation, they started up and created the new race of humans. The intention was for Apollo's data to teach them everything they needed to know and release the first generation as fully grown, well educated adults ready to rebuild the world with the help of all the technological systems in place. Instead with the destruction of Apollo by Faro and other things that went wrong, they were sent out to fend for themselves and civilization took an entirely different path than was intended.

E: To be absolutely clear, the whole point of the Zero Dawn project working how it did was that it was absolutely impossible to save anyone long enough to keep humanity alive until the world was safe again. Sobek new that was impossible from the beginning and that's why there was the whole multi stage process of getting people accepted into the project - if they couldn't handle the horrible truth that they weren't working to save anyone's lives, they couldn't be a part of it.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 14, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

The humans in the cradle facilities aren't directly connected to the pre-apocalypse humans. They were genetic clones birthed ~250 years after all life on Earth went extinct, who were meant to partake of APOLLO but kicked out by the servitors as adolescents because the schoolrooms and all subsequent areas were blocked off, courtesy of Ted Faro loving over the world yet again. There was a period of some 200+ years in which there was no living human on the planet.

Lol yeah there's the data point showing the kid getting mouthy with a servitor and then it just cuts to the aftermath of the servitor applying a taser or chokeslam or something. The servitors were no more capable of teaching than a nursery school attendant, maybe they had some limited early-childhood/toddler level lessons to impart but that's about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Speaking of this does anyone have a youtube video of the whole process like the screening interviews before they let people find out the truth and their reactions and the one woman who decided to opt for suicide? Everything I can find is just the two holograms that explain the project and I wanted to listen to those other parts again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Speaking of this does anyone have a youtube video of the whole process like the screening interviews before they let people find out the truth and their reactions and the one woman who decided to opt for suicide? Everything I can find is just the two holograms that explain the project and I wanted to listen to those other parts again.

You can find all the Zero Dawn audiologs here with timestamps in the description. I think that doctor's name is Susanne Alpert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MTSVTiL0w

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You can find all the Zero Dawn audiologs here with timestamps in the description. I think that doctor's name is Susanne Alpert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MTSVTiL0w

Oh this is perfect thank you

E: At least that combined with a nicely unchatty let's play is letting me cross reference to make sure I hear them all.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 14, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

You seem to have fundamentally misunderstood some things. No humans survived living in the bunkers. They didn't have the resources to do that. All the bunkers did was provide a place for the people who worked on the project to finish their work, and then live out however long the rest of their lives were. Humanity was not kept alive, for a time it effectively went extinct.

The cradles held the tools to resurrect humanity once it was time. Hundreds of years later when the earth was almost ready for habitation, they started up and created the new race of humans. The intention was for Apollo's data to teach them everything they needed to know and release the first generation as fully grown, well educated adults ready to rebuild the world with the help of all the technological systems in place. Instead with the destruction of Apollo by Faro and other things that went wrong, they were sent out to fend for themselves and civilization took an entirely different path than was intended.

E: To be absolutely clear, the whole point of the Zero Dawn project working how it did was that it was absolutely impossible to save anyone long enough to keep humanity alive until the world was safe again. Sobek new that was impossible from the beginning and that's why there was the whole multi stage process of getting people accepted into the project - if they couldn't handle the horrible truth that they weren't working to save anyone's lives, they couldn't be a part of it.

exquisite tea posted:

Oh thanks, that's what I was missing out. I knew the schools were shut off by Ted Faro but I didn't know that there was a gap in time where there was no humans alive and the clones birthed 250 years after so that's why instead of Fallout vault system where families keep going until the vault is open, you get a bunch of childs getting upset by their AI servitors and eventually getting kicked out to the wilds without knowledge of what happened and why.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Oh thanks, that's what I was missing out. I knew the schools were shut off by Ted Faro but I didn't know that there was a gap in time where there was no humans alive and the clones birthed 250 years after so that's why instead of Fallout vault system where families keep going until the vault is open, you get a bunch of childs getting upset by their AI servitors and eventually getting kicked out to the wilds without knowledge of what happened and why.

Sobeck originally planned that she and the other Alphas would clone themselves and raise the clones to continuously monitor the status of the project (presumably the clones then clone themselves, etc. through the centuries), but she eventually scrapped the idea. But this explains how GAIA had access to Sobeck's genetic material to create Aloy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah they pretty much said there wasn’t enough time to implement it, you get the sense that everything was last ditch. Instead, it turns out that the GAIA and its DEMETER and ARTEMIS subsystems were extraordinarily effective: the reconstituted biosphere was extremely verdant and productive. It could support huge populations of hunter gatherers so long they behaved as apex predators (that failed to be reintroduced properly).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
If you are interested in the Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame, the Kickstarter just opened.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/horizon-zero-dawntm-the-board-game

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Dienes posted:

If you are interested in the Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame, the Kickstarter just opened.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/horizon-zero-dawntm-the-board-game

Welp. There goes my money.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Dienes posted:

gently caress... I don’t have $130 to spend on this. But I want this game... gah! Here’s hoping they’re still taking pledges come January when my tax return comes back.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ShadowedFlames posted:

gently caress... I don’t have $130 to spend on this. But I want this game... gah! Here’s hoping they’re still taking pledges come January when my tax return comes back.

It ends in 21 days, so that's a hard no. Maybe it'll have a retail release? Probably will cost more, though not necessarily, you'll just get the bare bones game and no backer extras.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ShadowedFlames posted:

I just wish the thunderjaw wasn't a $50 add-on, but the thing IS massive.

Really hoping for a Nil figure in the stretch goals.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is gonna be like those WH40k tabletops where ostensibly there's a game with a highly structured ruleset but you and your friends spend all your time going pow pow pow with the figurines.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

exquisite tea posted:

This is gonna be like those WH40k tabletops where ostensibly there's a game with a highly structured ruleset but you and your friends spend all your time going pow pow pow with the figurines.

And yet... I'm okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

drat, I've had the window open at work since this morning and the Kickstarter has already grown to $700k. At this rate those Thunderjaws are gonna be cast in solid gold.

• Locked thread