Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Highwang posted:

What kinda peaceful city has a trained assassin shooting anyone that comes within a farming district?

That's the kind of question someone who hasn't played enough Team Fortress 2 would ask.

A TF2 player asks, what kind of peaceful city wouldn't have a trained assassin shooting anyone, for any reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, with the help of his new friend Scarecrow, young Chorps has everything he needs to succeed! Now it's an infiltration mission, with Chorps trying to break in to the Funny Bone Factory after hours and discover the secret to promotion! What will he find at the end of his journey? Will he be able to impress enough to get back the Love Paper? All this and more on today's update!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Swimmer Daniel
A swimmer living near the Funny Bone Factory safe. He's training for the Olympics, and his swimming and diving skills are incredible. He only loses focus when he comes up for air.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
From that angle, it looked like he ate the love paper. Probably pica.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So are we 2/3s of the way through the game or is getting the last piece of the love letter set just the end of the act? Do we need a supreme reputation on top of that to actually woo Anime that necessitates doing side content? Or is there, like, a reputation level beyond what we need to get her attention that unlocks a secret big playa ending?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Maybe I missed it, but can you pick up the love letter set pieces in any order or do you have to do them like you are now?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

marshmallow creep posted:

So are we 2/3s of the way through the game or is getting the last piece of the love letter set just the end of the act? Do we need a supreme reputation on top of that to actually woo Anime that necessitates doing side content? Or is there, like, a reputation level beyond what we need to get her attention that unlocks a secret big playa ending?
You don't need to kiss so many people to get the ending. It just makes it easier to not die in the ending.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME? :siren:

Unfortunately, neither of my fourth co-commentators were available to record Chulip this week. Instead, FutureFriend, Jay and I decided to watch a replay of the first Gundam game to be made in English, and the second ever Gundam media to hit the Western market, after the original novel trilogy. It's a combination of FMV with quicktime events and 3D portions of FPS-style gameplay that the game itself omits from its replays. The localization is spotty and the acting is hammy, so there's plenty to enjoy with Gundam 0079: The War for Earth!

:siren: WOW, A PODCAST! :siren:

YouTube
MP3 Download

How timely! Today, Cocoa☆Disaster covers a landmark Gundam series, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, the first not to be directed by the original creator Yoshiyuki Tomino. My friend BeamSplashX and I decide to look past the big robots and dive into the heart of what makes this series so different from its predecessors, and how it would affect and compare to the series that came after it.

These two videos mark the most I've ever thought about Gundam in my entire life. Hopefully we'll be back to Chulip soon!

marshmallow creep posted:

We are two-thirds done with the main quest, but there's still more to be done after we collect the letter set, like writing the letter and delivering it.
There's no necessity to kiss people outside of increasing Chorps' survivability, and there are very few places where you need to intentionally take damage within the story. You could get away with not doing even as many kisses as we've done now, but I just want to show everything off. I think the main online walkthrough for this game says that they beat the game at as low as level 6 before? You might be able to go even lower. And there are no ending differences, unfortunately, it's just all for the sake of content.

C-Euro posted:

Maybe I missed it, but can you pick up the love letter set pieces in any order or do you have to do them like you are now?

You can do the game in any order, but with the money requirements and death potential, I think the order I'm doing is the easiest route. Plus, you have to do a lot of extra work for the Scarecrow Field piece that requires you to go everywhere else anyways.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ChorpSaway posted:

:siren: SUPER UPDATE TIME? :siren:

Unfortunately, neither of my fourth co-commentators were available to record Chulip this week. Instead, FutureFriend, Jay and I decided to watch a replay of the first Gundam game to be made in English, and the second ever Gundam media to hit the Western market, after the original novel trilogy. It's a combination of FMV with quicktime events and 3D portions of FPS-style gameplay that the game itself omits from its replays. The localization is spotty and the acting is hammy, so there's plenty to enjoy with Gundam 0079: The War for Earth!

That was amazing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
And right after Unicorn ended in the US. This is better than the acting in Resident Evil.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also better than Unicorn.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

No anime robots smooched 0/10

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Please don't call Batayan a bitch, he is a beautiful soul. :smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So how's the smoochin' going?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

When these lips are lockin', don't come a knockin'!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chorps got mono and needs to take it easy.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: RETURN OF UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Sorry for the long wait! However, we've returned to the Funny Bone Factory today with new fourth guest Hobotron. It's finally time to take advantage of our newfound company president status, and we have lots of residents and workers alike who are lookin' for a smoochin'!

:siren: WHILE YOU WERE AWAY! :siren:

YouTube
MP3 Download

YouTube
MP3 Download

My anime podcast still happened amidst the hiatus, and this is all seasonal coverage! I got together with friend XainZero to discuss the shows we're excited to see in this new season, as well as all of the shows we watched last season!

Also, while it wasn't Chulip, I did some quick videos about upcoming games I'm excited for, as well as just some games I wanted to give attention to. You can see those here!

Hopefully, there won't be any more delays as we finish up the extras for this chapter and rapidly head towards the final Love Letter Set piece! See you guys next week! Thanks for your patience, you all deserve a kiss.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
Nice to see this is back!

I recently beat chulip on my own time and man, Funny Bone Factory has got to be the most frustrating part of a game infamous for being frustrating. Doing that tour over and over again and talking to every npc til you find the one who says the guard is lazy becomes really tedious, even in the best case scenario that you manage to kiss each the underground residents on your first try AND time your trips on the shuttle to their locations correctly to minimize trips.

What really sucks about it is how many of the game's kisses are based on luck, and Jigsaw is by far the worst example of this: 1 in 50 of the pieces scattered around is the right one, but it might not appear at all. And youre not gonna even know which piece is the right one on your first time through, I had to use trial and error to figure out which jigsaw pieces were either too small or too big, and this meant taking 22 pts of damage each time I tested a piece on Jigsaw. Once I memorized their shapes, I had to hope I'd find the odd one out on the ground, the one that looks like a crescent moon, before he leaves. And this is bad enough on its own but remember, missing a kiss in the factory means going through the 10-15 minute tour, EACH AND EVERY TIME, to try again.

I really do love this game for it's charm and uniqueness but also gently caress this game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

That you still have to hide from a lazy security guard is amusing. I thought while watching it "buddy you're the president of the drat company, if you want to stay after hours who's going to have the authority to stop you?"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Flac posted:

Nice to see this is back!

I recently beat chulip on my own time and man, Funny Bone Factory has got to be the most frustrating part of a game infamous for being frustrating. Doing that tour over and over again and talking to every npc til you find the one who says the guard is lazy becomes really tedious, even in the best case scenario that you manage to kiss each the underground residents on your first try AND time your trips on the shuttle to their locations correctly to minimize trips.

What really sucks about it is how many of the game's kisses are based on luck, and Jigsaw is by far the worst example of this: 1 in 50 of the pieces scattered around is the right one, but it might not appear at all. And youre not gonna even know which piece is the right one on your first time through, I had to use trial and error to figure out which jigsaw pieces were either too small or too big, and this meant taking 22 pts of damage each time I tested a piece on Jigsaw. Once I memorized their shapes, I had to hope I'd find the odd one out on the ground, the one that looks like a crescent moon, before he leaves. And this is bad enough on its own but remember, missing a kiss in the factory means going through the 10-15 minute tour, EACH AND EVERY TIME, to try again.

I really do love this game for it's charm and uniqueness but also gently caress this game.
This is what I like about the game. You spend so much time piecing things together and forget about hurrying towards objectives as in other games. The very slow pacing encourages you to explore areas several times, just in case something new pops up that allows you to do something new. It is like a less violent Zelda.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

FunkMonkey posted:

That you still have to hide from a lazy security guard is amusing. I thought while watching it "buddy you're the president of the drat company, if you want to stay after hours who's going to have the authority to stop you?"

And how about the money we ought to be making as president of a large company? Our first paycheck ought to be enough to buy the entire contents of the antique store and put a down payment on a decent two-bedroom house.

Speaking of the antique store, does the computer (or any of the other expensive items) do anything worthwhile?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

This is what I like about the game. You spend so much time piecing things together and forget about hurrying towards objectives as in other games. The very slow pacing encourages you to explore areas several times, just in case something new pops up that allows you to do something new. It is like a less violent Zelda.

For the majority of the game, I agree, but cycling through the factory workers' text every time made me dread messing up there, more so than the other areas. I probably wouldve been ok with it if they hadn't put Jigsaw there.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

Speaking of the antique store, does the computer (or any of the other expensive items) do anything worthwhile?

Every item in Mr. Cheapot's store will be used! I love to support independent businesses.

Flac posted:

For the majority of the game, I agree, but cycling through the factory workers' text every time made me dread messing up there, more so than the other areas. I probably wouldve been ok with it if they hadn't put Jigsaw there.

I'm gonna agree, the factory is less interesting than the general Chulip discovery loop, just because you have to wait to find the lazy guard, then you have to fiddle with the trains, and then if you miss anything you add a whole extra loop to the equation. Thankfully it is the smallest hub in terms of kisses.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

This one goes out to all of the working professionals who need a little love! Today, we learn more about Mr. Cheapot and Dr. Dandy, and why they aren't particularly happy. There are some pretty wild things going on in their lives, and it's Poor Boy's job to help them find love again. Time to finally put my pocket full of cicadas to good use!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can dodge the cop, but that doctor camps your house and stalks your dad. No wonder people left that place.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I love kissin' mysteries. Kissteries.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Please tell me there's another use for dead cicadas so you have to keep them in your inventory even longer now.

Please.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh man, you guys threw me off there! FutureFriend was silent for so long that I thought he'd escaped the LP for an episode.

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
Yeah, if you show the popsicle to the people around the town, they'll hint at things like "it has an apple flavor" and I think even "it helps you sleep well". Often, if it looks like there's no way anyone would figure out what to do, the hint is buried in showing an item to one of the townsfolk.

Except gently caress the bathing, seriously.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

Please tell me there's another use for dead cicadas so you have to keep them in your inventory even longer now.

Please.

Eating, obviously. You know how much protein is in those suckers?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Cheapot's name seemed a bit weird to me but just now i thought

Cheapot = depot

Jesus christ

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Pretty sure "Cheapot" is supposed to sound like "teapot" and that's all the pun there is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cheap + Teapot

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Chia Pet.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I feel we can appreciate the accidental pun and the intended pun. So we've got Mr. Cheap+teapot who sells old junk and Cheapot's Depot, the finest local hotspot for affordable antiques.
Also I just now realized in Japanese it's probably chipot, because there is no ti=tea sound in the J-alphabet (the t section goes ta, chi, tsu, te, to), so English would just respell it and keep the pun.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Zagglezig posted:

I feel we can appreciate the accidental pun and the intended pun. So we've got Mr. Cheap+teapot who sells old junk and Cheapot's Depot, the finest local hotspot for affordable antiques.
Also I just now realized in Japanese it's probably chipot, because there is no ti=tea sound in the J-alphabet (the t section goes ta, chi, tsu, te, to), so English would just respell it and keep the pun.
Him and his shop are both called "Tsuboyasu" in Japanese. "Tsubo" meaning "pot" and "yasu" meaning "cheap", essentially. If it's supposed to be a pun on anything, it's not obvious to me.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

actually in japanese his name means "good weed"

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Him and his shop are both called "Tsuboyasu" in Japanese. "Tsubo" meaning "pot" and "yasu" meaning "cheap", essentially. If it's supposed to be a pun on anything, it's not obvious to me.

I really thought I was onto something :( oh well, saying it like teapot rolls off the tongue better anyways.

On the subject of names, I've been wondering about Julie and Michelle, is it possible that their names were originally Juri and Michiru but got Romanized by the translation? I think it's weird how their names are English while there's characters like Goro and Batayan who went unchanged, and how Japanese the game's setting is to begin with.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The game was a rush job.

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!

Flac posted:

I really thought I was onto something :( oh well, saying it like teapot rolls off the tongue better anyways.

On the subject of names, I've been wondering about Julie and Michelle, is it possible that their names were originally Juri and Michiru but got Romanized by the translation? I think it's weird how their names are English while there's characters like Goro and Batayan who went unchanged, and how Japanese the game's setting is to begin with.

Yuri and Michiru. Pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, young Chorps accidentally dabbles in ancient magic, and is tasked with helping to clean it up! After cursing Monk Hoichi with bell spirits, it's up to him and Bell to find the Ancient Sword and rid Hoichi of his unwanted company. While doing this, Chorps also walks in on a domestic dispute and sees some real grim stuff. Hope Dr. Dandy works as a therapist too.

Characters Introduced This Episode

Thief Tip Toe IV
A thief that comes from a long line of thieves. It seems like his latest mark is something at Julie's Bar, but what could it be?

• Locked thread