Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Memory foam vs latex foam?

My memory foam mattress (medium firm) is wearing out and the cat had some accidents on it. I slept well on it and am not against getting a new one but have heard latex foam is even better, is this true? If it matters I am 50% side sleeper and 25% back or stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SpeedFreek posted:

My memory foam mattress (medium firm) is wearing out and the cat had some accidents on it. I slept well on it and am not against getting a new one but have heard latex foam is even better, is this true? If it matters I am 50% side sleeper and 25% back or stomach.

They do different things. Memory foam is foam--you are likely at least somewhat familiar with it.

Latex foam is rubber that is molded into a foam-like material. It's bouncy, it's springy, it's heavy.

In either case, you're unlikely find a mattress that is 100% of either material, though you are more likely to find an all latex mattress with a hefty price tag and huge weight.

The short version is that latex is quite often firm. Memory foam can be incredibly soft or remarkably firm or anywhere in between. There is no "better," though, only "different."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I now have a bed and adjustable base that cost more than most of the vehicles I've ever owned. :toot: I have some purple sheets that should be here next week sometime but what do I do about a blanket? I can't really claim to have a preference aside from something breathable but also warm. I was thinking of just getting a cotton duvet cover with a down insert from Ikea but if there are better options I'm all ears.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

KodiakRS posted:

I now have a bed and adjustable base that cost more than most of the vehicles I've ever owned. :toot: I have some purple sheets that should be here next week sometime but what do I do about a blanket? I can't really claim to have a preference aside from something breathable but also warm. I was thinking of just getting a cotton duvet cover with a down insert from Ikea but if there are better options I'm all ears.

Congratulations! I expect you'll feel a noticeable improvement in a few weeks! Please note that there is an adjustment period, regardless of the mattress!

I literally have a faux-down Ikea insert inside of a cover so... do that, I guess? :imunfunny:

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

KodiakRS posted:

If you won't feel near-physical pain from buying anything more expensive, I'd recommend down duvets from Feathered Friends. My partner and I have had twin comforters from them for 7 years and aside from wishing they had corner rings or something similar, they are our forever blankets. Not too warm in summer, warm enough in winter.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looking at getting a new innerspring mattress. I'm a side/stomach sleeper, so I've been looking at firm beds. Costco has a couple decently reviewed Sertas, the Posturepedic Plus Ridge Crest II and the Posturepedic Carver, but I've also eyed the Saatva Classic, though it's drat near twice the price.

There's no Saatva shop near me, so I can't test drive that. I could potentially hit a mattress store to try out an equivalent of the Sertas if I know what to look for.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

SpeedFreek posted:

I've been using latex foam based mattresses for over a decade, so I'll weigh in.

As Synastren noted, latex foam is springy and bouncy. It pushes back against you. It feels very different from memory foam type products that tend to conform to your shape. Whether or not this is ideal comes down to individual preferences.

Latex foam sleeps *COOL*. It sleeps so much cooler than any kind of synthetic foam. This is one of the primary reasons I stick with latex foam. I've experimented with memory foam toppers a few times, and the difference in warmth is staggering. Memory foam is like an oven compared to latex.

High quality latex foam is composed mostly of natural tree rubber. It makes minimal use of chemicals and synthetic elements relative to memory foam. This matters a lot to some people, and very little to other people.

Latex foam has a very distinctive smell. It's a mildly sweet and creamy odor that feels distinctively natural to the nose. Some of this odor does dissipate time, but it never fully goes away. It's a far more pleasant smell than the very chemically odor that many memory foam products have during their initial off gassing. Personally I find the smell of latex foam to be reassuring, because you can be sure a product that smells like latex foam actually is latex foam.

Latex foam is extremely resilient. It will retain shape and support for longer than synthetic foams. This is a primary benefit of latex foam - if you can find a latex foam based mattress that works well for you, then it will probably last for a very long time (10+ years). Assuming it doesn't have any less resilient elements (e.g. other types of foam) that break down first, of course.

There are a few common construction styles for latex foam mattresses:

Hybrid Latex Foam + Innerspring
A several inch latex foam topper on top of a traditional innerspring core. This is usually what is meant by the phrase "hybrid latex mattress." This is what I would recommend for most people who are interested in latex. They give you the unique surface feel of latex foam while retaining the traditional bouncy feel that most people are used to from spring mattresses. You can get hybrids with swappable top layers that make for easy experimentation. This is the type of mattress I settled on after spending far too much time and money experimenting with the types described below.

Pure Latex Foam Mattress
A solid slab of latex foam. Typically this will be something like 6" of firm latex foam to provide the primary support, and then several inches of softer latex foam on top to provide the desired final level of comfort/firmness. These mattresses don't have springs, so they can feel very inert compared to innerspring beds. They are very expensive. There is simply no way to get around the fact that latex foam is a premium product, and getting an entire mattress made of the stuff is not cheap. Mattresses like this are also very heavy and extremely cumbersome to move. They handle in a very "floppy" manner because they have no rigid structural elements, unlike mattresses with innerspring cores.

Latex Foam + Polyfoam
A latex foam topper over a dense block of polyfoam. Similar to the pure latex foam mattress described above, except the primary support will be 6+ inches of dense polyfoam. This can feel very similar to a pure latex mattress because the surface elements you interact with most are the same. They are much cheaper because cheap polyfoam takes the place of much of the expensive latex foam. However, the polyfoam element is usually poo poo quality and will die quickly. A bed like this was my introduction to latex mattresses. It was very comfortable at first, but all that comfort broke down within a single year because the cheap polyfoam core of unknown quality deteriorated.

I haven't been inside a national mattress retailer in a decade, but from what I understand they typically don't carry many latex foam products. If you live in a large metro then there's a good chance you've got one or two specialty mattress stores in the area where you can try out a variety of latex foam products. Here's an example of two specialty mattress stores in the Seattle area that I have had good in person shopping experiences with:
https://thesleepstoreusa.com/
https://bedroomsandmore.com/

Latex mattresses are also popular as bed in a box options because they compress well and often feature simple construction. Online retailers of latex foam products that I have had good purchasing experiences with include:
https://sleeponlatex.com/
https://www.mattresses.net/
I was going to link Luma Mattresses for a good bed in a box hybrid latex mattress option, but they no longer seem to be in business. Unfortunate.

My recommendation to most people interested in latex foam mattress products is to first determine if your current mattress has solid structural and support elements. If so then great. If your mattress is sagging or otherwise dead, then replace it with anything new that you don't hate. Then experiment with latex foam toppers and accept the fact that every new experiment is $200 to $300 that you might be setting on fire. It's fine. Experimenting this way is still much cheaper and much easier than spending a ton of money on an entirely new mattress every three years because you want to go back to innersprings, or because you need a different firmness level, or whatever.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 12, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what's the best possible mattress that won't make me sweat out gallons of person soup

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Kefit posted:

I've been using latex foam based mattresses for over a decade, so I'll weigh in.

As Synastren noted, latex foam is springy and bouncy. It pushes back against you. It feels very different from memory foam type products that tend to conform to your shape. Whether or not this is ideal comes down to individual preferences.

Latex foam sleeps *COOL*. It sleeps so much cooler than any kind of synthetic foam. This is one of the primary reasons I stick with latex foam. I've experimented with memory foam toppers a few times, and the difference in warmth is staggering. Memory foam is like an oven compared to latex.

High quality latex foam is composed mostly of natural tree rubber. It makes minimal use of chemicals and synthetic elements relative to memory foam. This matters a lot to some people, and very little to other people.

Latex foam has a very distinctive smell. It's a mildly sweet and creamy odor that feels distinctively natural to the nose. Some of this odor does dissipate time, but it never fully goes away. It's a far more pleasant smell than the very chemically odor that many memory foam products have during their initial off gassing. Personally I find the smell of latex foam to be reassuring, because you can be sure a product that smells like latex foam actually is latex foam.

Latex foam is extremely resilient. It will retain shape and support for longer than synthetic foams. This is a primary benefit of latex foam - if you can find a latex foam based mattress that works well for you, then it will probably last for a very long time (10+ years). Assuming it doesn't have any less resilient elements (e.g. other types of foam) that break down first, of course.

There are a few common construction styles for latex foam mattresses:

Hybrid Latex Foam + Innerspring
A several inch latex foam topper on top of a traditional innerspring core. This is usually what is meant by the phrase "hybrid latex mattress." This is what I would recommend for most people who are interested in latex. They give you the unique surface feel of latex foam while retaining the traditional bouncy feel that most people are used to from spring mattresses. You can get hybrids with swappable top layers that make for easy experimentation. This is the type of mattress I settled on after spending far too much time and money experimenting with the types described below.

Pure Latex Foam Mattress
A solid slab of latex foam. Typically this will be something like 6" of firm latex foam to provide the primary support, and then several inches of softer latex foam on top to provide the desired final level of comfort/firmness. These mattresses don't have springs, so they can feel very inert compared to innerspring beds. They are very expensive. There is simply no way to get around the fact that latex foam is a premium product, and getting an entire mattress made of the stuff is not cheap. Mattresses like this are also very heavy and extremely cumbersome to move. They handle in a very "floppy" manner because they have no rigid structural elements, unlike mattresses with innerspring cores.

Latex Foam + Polyfoam
A latex foam topper over a dense block of polyfoam. Similar to the pure latex foam mattress described above, except the primary support will be 6+ inches of dense polyfoam. This can feel very similar to a pure latex mattress because the surface elements you interact with most are the same. They are much cheaper because cheap polyfoam takes the place of much of the expensive latex foam. However, the polyfoam element is usually poo poo quality and will die quickly. A bed like this was my introduction to latex mattresses. It was very comfortable at first, but all that comfort broke down within a single year because the cheap polyfoam core of unknown quality deteriorated.

I haven't been inside a national mattress retailer in a decade, but from what I understand they typically don't carry many latex foam products. If you live in a large metro then there's a good chance you've got one or two specialty mattress stores in the area where you can try out a variety of latex foam products. Here's an example of two specialty mattress stores in the Seattle area that I have had good in person shopping experiences with:
https://thesleepstoreusa.com/
https://bedroomsandmore.com/

Latex mattresses are also popular as bed in a box options because they compress well and often feature simple construction. Online retailers of latex foam products that I have had good purchasing experiences with include:
https://sleeponlatex.com/
https://www.mattresses.net/
I was going to link Luma Mattresses for a good bed in a box hybrid latex mattress option, but they no longer seem to be in business. Unfortunate.

My recommendation to most people interested in latex foam mattress products is to first determine if your current mattress has solid structural and support elements. If so then great. If your mattress is sagging or otherwise dead, then replace it with anything new that you don't hate. Then experiment with latex foam toppers and accept the fact that every new experiment is $200 to $300 that you might be setting on fire. It's fine. Experimenting this way is still much cheaper and much easier than spending a ton of money on an entirely new mattress every three years because you want to go back to innersprings, or because you need a different firmness level, or whatever.

Thanks! The one I was looking at was a 6" all latex, I could have looked harder but there seems to be nowhere to try them out. I ended up ordering a memory foam again, I know the pros and cons already. I'll need a mattress for the guest room eventually and will probably try a latex mattress then and put the one I like less in there.