Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Heyo, folks, I'm Will.

< - And that's SuccinctAndPunchy.

And we've played way too much Freedom Planet!

Developer: GalaxyTrail
Platforms: PC, Wii U, PS4
Initial Release Date: July 21, 2014
Genre: Action Platformer
This is a voiced, co-commentated VLP.

Freedom Planet is an action-heavy platforming game that takes clear inspiration from a variety of classic SEGA Genesis platformers, such as Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Sonic the Hedgehog, with a tightened focus on combat and a number of more modern approaches to game design that, in my opinion, put it well above the games it draws life from, as well as most of its contemporaries. It was developed largely by one guy: Stephen DiDuro (who we'll mostly refer to by his Internet handle, "Strife"), with the help of Leila Wilson (a composer who wrote most of the soundtrack and orchestrated all of it) and an awfully large voice cast.

Freedom Planet follows the adventure of three fast-moving critters, Sash Lilac (a dragon*), Carol Tea (a cat), and Milla Basset (a dog), whose homeworld has just been invaded by a scary green dude. That's the story.

*yes I'm serious

Succinct and I have collectively dumped about 1000 hours into this game (him, over 800, and me, over 200), and we figured we ought to use our knowledge of Freedom Planet, both inside and outside of the finished product, to present the game we love(d?) so much in a variety of lights. We'll be taking you through the full game two separate times: a casual runthrough with Lilac (on Hard difficulty), and a speedrun (also featuring Lilac), with a few extra tidbits on the history of FP and Strife here and there.

You're free to discuss spoilers (although there's not much point to talk about plot points until they're pertinent, frankly) - otherwise, all we ask for post content is that you try to keep things on topic. For the sake of having as few videos as possible and keeping things simple, I'll be including the gameplay and cutscenes together, but the latter will (almost) always be stuck wholly in the second half of a video, so as to let people tap out when they feel the need.

Now, without any further ado....

Episode List
Episode 1: Dragon Valley

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2017 around 19:56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ok, Major/Minor has one advantage over this - it isn't voiced.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 28, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Samovar posted:

I don't think the two have even remotely enough in common to be worth comparing. One's a VN, the other's an actually pretty drat good platformer with a kind of lovely plot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And I believe that other game mode basically removes the cutscenes or something? I think I read that anyways.

I have heard this is a good Sonic game and that the voice acting is at least hilarious so honestly I'm going to be there for both.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Yep, the no-cutscene mode is called "Classic Mode," and we'll be seeing that in our second playthrough of the game. A few incidental cutscenes still appear in this mode, but it's otherwise totally free of them. Besides that, cutscenes are also skippable, and single lines can be skipped by tapping A.

Whether or not you'd consider Freedom Planet to be something you'd enjoy as a "good Sonic game" depends mainly on what you get out of Sonic games. If the joy of Sonic games for you is memorizing layouts and beating your best times, then yeah, you'll get that. If you like fast-paced levels with varied pathways, then you'll get that, too. Freedom Planet starts to break off from Sonic when it comes to combat, boss fights and moment-to-moment platforming, though (for example, Sonic's challenge lies in its stages, where FP's challenge is usually more in its bosses). Comparisons to Sonic are still worthwhile (and we'll almost certainly be making them), but Freedom Planet's heart lies just as much with other Sega Genesis classics, and this'll become gradually more apparent as we move forward.

but yeah the VA is kinda' whack

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at Mar 21, 2017 around 07:58

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 28, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kibayasu posted:

I have heard this is a good Sonic game and that the voice acting is at least hilarious so honestly I'm going to be there for both.

I'm of the opinion it's good because it's nothing like a Sonic game. It's actually got half-decent combat and boss fights for one.

VA is wack. VA will forever be wack.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Huh, didn't see much of this game apart from the Steam Greenlight campaign and thought it was someone's fan project. That it has so much VA work and varied design in its levels is kind of surprising.

I actually kind of like the fact that the VA quality is at about the level of a second-string PS1 game or a cartoon from the 90s nobody watched, it makes it seem a little endearing in that sense.

Samovar posted:

I am quite certain that the story won't be that bad, especially given we don't already have a profoundly unlikable deuteragonist to follow.

The plot thread is kind of confusing, though, between the villain appearing in two completely different contexts in consecutive scenes and our hero's attempt to save someone in a crashed plane suddenly derailing into a snake fight.

I liked the gag right at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Oh hey, finally a Let's Play from someone actually good at the game! Looking forward to learning a lot more about the mechanics that the game never clearly conveys.

The plot does get pretty bad, but it's less furry-fanfiction-bad and more my-original-character-bad.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at Mar 22, 2017 around 14:34