Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Level the funding across all teams, then give teams a slight (capped) bonus for 'years served' in F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Honestly though, he undid 75% of my dislike for him at the season finale.
I have respect for him doing everything he could to push Rosberg back a place, even though it was clearly in danger of harming his position in the team.
His answers were also genuinely hilarious.
"Not sure what the problem is I seem to be leading the race"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

No, comon. You don't have to like Seb just like Lewis, but you can't deny he is a poo poo hot F1 driver.

The part about McLaren is cool because it highlights how sticking around for a long rear end time in F1 is actually really hard and pretty much nobody can keep it up other than Ferrari. Yes, Ferrari are annoying how they go on about how important they are to the sport and how much them being there since the start counts for something, until you really understand even someone like McLaren can't keep it up.

Which part of the season do you stop posting in?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Feeling a bit anonymous? I would if I were you.

How can the one english driver you like be mansell

just

like how do you even make that up

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

sa'll good man, what is some nebulous bullshit that doesn't matter is what forums users Norns and whoever that guy is thinks of Tony Montana

What is fact is Nigel Mansel was a great driver and did more for British F1 pride than someone like Martin Brundle ever did

You should re-post your "its not fair the british media is biased" essay alongside the "i hate the english and want to burn them" post.
Artful stuff.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ban having a meltdown first

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Argus Zant posted:

no, not the soda-can Toro Rosso, i'm talking the Red Bull Racing livery

when the camera looks at them dead-on from the front, it looks like the car's nose is decorated with a big yellow cartoon frog that's got bulging red eyes

Frog in the car.
Frog on the car.
hop, hop hop to the win

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

simplefish posted:

It's 4 engines for the season, right? We know from last year at least that Merc reliability can be in jeopardy when they "turn the wick up"

~1 second across the top 5 is pretty cool, and unless Merc are really dropping an anchor they'll not be comfortable.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Can't possibly be as good as a Mk2 Scirocco 16v with blown synchros and a sunroof that doesn't close evenly.

A Scirocco is a great car if you want to do an impression of jolyloln palmer

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Torn between hyping over ferrari or predicting they'll gently caress it up and remain failarri

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh gently caress my life.
It's clocks-forward weekend in the UK which makes the coverage start at 'technically' 4am local time.

I like this sport and this is worth it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

You're welcome to get up at 4am, but the race doesn't start until 6am BST (you went the wrong way)

No, I'm saying due to the lost hour my body clock will see 5am/6am as 4am/5am.

Brundle pit-walks already make me angry enough.

poshphil posted:

I am also confused by it despite being a grown man but I think just over 6 hours from now.

Set your location on this - https://www.f1calendar.com/

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh lord.

5:35am and my tired eyes are greeted by brundle

LETS DO THIS

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Red bull are good lads and Danny ric will have a working car.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

That loving Sauber graphic made me think a car had binned it on the formation lap already.

Celebrating 25 years of mostly being stopped on the grass.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lewis making start excuses whilst he can.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh god stroll looks all over the loving place.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

No graphics.

Camera locked to 14th place.

Bring back bernie.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh god it's down to ferrari strategy.

Nice win Lewis.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My caffeine kicked in right around Seb's pitstop.
I might need a doctor.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Are Dan

:(

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh yay.

Sky with the blue flags discussion again.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Seb just gained nearly another second in two laps.

Sandbagged their race pace like a charm.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Buttass if you overtake Hamilton I'll not call you a boring waste of space again.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

C'mon Vettel you can manage a blue flags whine for the bingo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Voting's open lads, you know what to do

Always.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm going to wait to see if he holds on to 10th place, but yeah.

You piece of poo poo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Wow that was poo poo street art.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Vettel jerking the dicknose lmao

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Everyone laughed at me last year when I said that Newey was done and this car was going to be a dog but here we are.

Not to interrupt your circle-jerk with yourself but they're really not that far behind, and that's a good thing.
Verstappen set two fastest laps catching Raikkonen.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just watch this on a loop if you didn't quite finish yourself off before the end of the GP

https://streamable.com/vncge

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

I'm not writing off the season but holy poo poo you guys wouldn't be banging on about an amazing race if it was ham overtaking vet in the pits

The Mercedes not being unassailable, roaming around in a 1-2 position unchallenged in a power-save engine mode, is what's exciting.
[a different car] winning, in a race outcome based on race-pace, by a margin, is exciting for the sport.

Maybe we won't see the constructors wrapped up by Europe?

Your reading skills are for poo poo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you found it boring you are objectively bad at watching F1.
You don't need overtakes to tell a story.
Hell, the story of why there were none is interesting itself.

If you didn't at least get to half mast when Vettel pulled out in front of Hamilton you're in the wrong thread.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Glad the thread just leaves the obvious disparaging comments about lollylolpalmer on the table.
Someone who gets shown up by loving Kmag of all people, to such an extent people think Kmag was good in comparison.

Stroll is laughably not ready for F1 but at least that's entertaining to watch. Someone who under-performs by seconds whilst moaning about the car should just be shot.
F1 needs summary executions.
And sprinklers.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The big Beeb are fine.
They posted their 'Hamilton perspective' article after Vettel pieces, including quite a glowing Ferrari piece.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm genuinely curious what people's expectations are regarding races. You had a car that wasn't on pole push the lead car for a considerable stint at the beginning, arguable forcing the lead car to ruin their tires and then still had the pace to push while in clean air. It was a great build up over strategy and being able to push and Seb chasing Lewis in the early part of the race looked awesome. If you want to see a million passes go watch races at a rental kart place.

Me too.
This race unfolded like most races from ~1980 to 2011, before every car gaining on another was an inevitable overtake because of DRS.
Curious why DRS was such a non-factor here - I wonder if the new aero has nerfed DRS, making it harder to get within 1s?
If that's the case, DRS might actually be in a good place. Time, and more than one race, will tell.

I do wonder though how many people ITT pre-date DRS/KERS, maybe people haven't watched F1 without overtake assists, or have just forgotten?

I speak as someone who re-watches old races, so probably a minority.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Someone has created a really convincing fake F1 account on YouTube, and has put race highlights and other goodies on it, the same day as the race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3cfJCOSq8Q
FOM must be writing such a hard C&D letter right now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

My gut feeling is that it's going to be like '83 where pit strategy determined most the races at the front and there was only one or two every race. It's great racing but I think people will need to get used to it and the commentators are going to need to not be poo poo.

This is and was true for most races from 1980 to 2011 with moments where its not being exhilarating exceptions.
There's a reason one of Murray's enduring catchphrases (for years) was "it's one thing catching another car in F1, a very very different thing overtaking"

We need more than one race where cars held station for other reasons, to draw conclusions.
The media is just poo poo and wants a story.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 27, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

I'm not looking forward to yet another season of trying to decide if I hate commercials more than I hate Sky's coverage.

Just watch it with no commercials and let the hate flow through you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Aren't the BMW turbo quali engines from the 80s still the most powerful F1 engines ever made? Didn't they win a championship or two?

People only remember when they came back in the 00s and didn't achieve a lot.
Not sure I would call them savants though.

• Locked thread