Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Hell yeah get him on a collab track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Thanks for the recommendations!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Maybe Graham Coxon's solo stuff? He was the lead guitarist and secondary lead singer in Blur, the other huge band that Gorillaz' Damon Albarn was in

Ohhh and Damon Albarn's solo albums too of course, if you really like the 2D only songs in Gorillaz' catalogue. Plus his other side projects like The Good The Bad and The Queen.

Everyday Robots especially has huge Now Now vibes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Okua posted:

I've known vaguely about Gorillaz before, but only since the Cracker Island video came out have I gone back and listened to more than the popular singles. I don't really like the rap-focused tracks, but I really love the vibe of The Now Now. It's the first album in a long time that I've enjoyed listening to all the way through, several times over the last few days. Usually I rely on Spotify for my music and listen to a bunch of playlists and individual songs without focusing much on who the artists are. In general I don't know a lot about music genres and influences. I want to, though! What are some artists or albums that you would recommend me if I want find more music like this album?

I recommend listening to more rap

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I recommend listening to more rap

I mean. Yeah. Start with like.. Jurassic 5 , Heiro (you might recognize a very distinct voice), or Ugly Duckling. Super accessible fun party music.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i have been pretty unimpressed by gorillaz output post-plastic beach but cracker island loving slaps real hard

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
real gorillaz heads have been very consistently impressed since self-titled

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Exactly

You ain’t a real head

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm glad the true doom murdoc heads have enjoyed everything, but I know what I like and their poo poo fell off for me~

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

I'm glad the true doom murdoc heads have enjoyed everything, but I know what I like and their poo poo fell off for me~

That’s ok, you’re always welcome back anytime friend

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

hell yeah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
iirc it was about a month between song machine singles, I’m getting a twitch waiting for the studio version of Silent Running

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a "studio" version someone made on youtube, it's grown on me a lot. They had to process the live vocals a lot and it sounds weird but they did a great job with the instrumentation. It adds percussion-y synths and a theramin. So strange but it really works - so much so that even when the real version is out I'll probably still occasionally listen to this one as an alternative mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQnpgfB9NI

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

*nods*

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

They played a new song today - New Gold ft. Tame Impala & Bootie Brown

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Gorillazhive rise up

Cracker Island tracklist
1. "Cracker Island" ft. Thundercat
2. "Oil" ft. Stevie Nicks
3. "The Tired Influencer"
4. "Tarantula"
5. "Silent Running" ft. Adeleye Omotayo
6. "New Gold" ft. Tame Impala & Bootie Brown
7. "Baby Queen"
8. "Tormenta" ft. Bad Bunny
9. "Skinny Ape"
10. "Possession Island" ft. Beck

Out February 24, 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJa-VFwPpYA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's a great song.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

6 months out seems a little much maybe? Not feeling the album cover either.

But that new song is great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So are they going to drip feed the album over the next six months or have the dropped the song machine thing?

New song's great either way - which is a relief since I'm not really feeling the title track. None of the future collabs jump out as exciting but I'm keen to see what's what.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

stev posted:

So are they going to drip feed the album over the next six months or have the dropped the song machine thing?

New song's great either way - which is a relief since I'm not really feeling the title track. None of the future collabs jump out as exciting but I'm keen to see what's what.

Most Likely.

Their new website has a Cracker Island TV where I assume the 10 songs will fill in the channels since right now clicking through them just gives you the CI music video.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The new Bad Bunny album is really good so I can see the track with him being sick.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dunno why but i was really expecting the songs from the meanwhile ep to be on it

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maybe I have to check my internet connection, but that music video seemed to have a serious compression problem. Looked like it was animated in the style of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awnnn23M4FE

EDIT: I’m surprised they’re just giving a 10 track offering. Even the stupid overpriced multi disk version is just the 10 songs on 10 7” vinyl (with etchings on the back). There’s no deluxe or suitcase editions this album.

IUG fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 31, 2022

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

new song gives me "old Gorillaz" vibes i.e. Plastic Beach and Phase 1 stuff, can't fuckin wait for this. Glad I got tix to their show in NY in 2 months since I'm sure they'll put some of the new stuff there.

stev posted:

Same, title track is just ok to me but the Stevie Nicks/Bad Bunny/Beck songs intrigue me.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

feels like they've begun this campaign way sooner than they should have but I'll absolutely take it

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think I heard something about Damon saying the album was finished back in May? Hell of a wait then if that’s true.

Hopefully I’ll hear most of these tracks in October for the concert.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Skeezy posted:

I think I heard something about Damon saying the album was finished back in May? Hell of a wait then if that’s true.

Hopefully I’ll hear most of these tracks in October for the concert.
Yup. Been done since May and he cannot fathom why it's releasing in Feb. I bet he really wanted to tour it this year.

Everything about this release feels like label fuckery. The title, the cover, the bizarre and delayed release. I've no doubt the album will be excellent but it's a shame it feels like so many people touched this thing after Damon was done with it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm pretty fickle--which is to say in the first few months after a new album comes out I'm pretty critical, but a little while later I come around and go "yeah this is good too actually."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I'm pretty fickle--which is to say in the first few months after a new album comes out I'm pretty critical, but a little while later I come around and go "yeah this is good too actually."

honestly, same. the fall took the longest for me but its epic as well.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

honestly, same. the fall took the longest for me but its epic as well.

Revolving Doors gets stuck in my head. I have no idea what the duck sounds(?) are supposed to be doing, but the hook itself just works.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Hillbilly Man, The Joplin Spider, Aspen Forest, and Bobby in Phoenix are all dope tracks

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the early-2000s-incoming-cell-call-radio-interference-beat on Aspen Forest

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Worst Gorillaz era go:

It's Humanz OBVIOUSLY but still

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Worst Gorillaz era is obviously 2012-2015.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Its definitely not Humanz lol. They put out a great album, their only bside release since Dsides, and had a really good and successful world tour.

Worst Gorillaz era (discounting hiatuses) is absolutely 2010-2011 where PB released as a different album than they advertised with an unfinished website, undersold, and the band slowly dissolved

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Torn over modern Gorillaz. On one hand I do miss when they took their time on it and every new album was a new multimedia "phase" that had a whole bunch of poo poo attached to the album and also Jamie and Damon stepped away for a bit every time to do something new and wild (everyone sleeps on their stage play of Journey to the West.) On the other hand I have to admit they're just putting out banger after banger at this point.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Torn over modern Gorillaz. On one hand I do miss when they took their time on it and every new album was a new multimedia "phase" that had a whole bunch of poo poo attached to the album and also Jamie and Damon stepped away for a bit every time to do something new and wild (everyone sleeps on their stage play of Journey to the West.) On the other hand I have to admit they're just putting out banger after banger at this point.

i saw their journey to the west at spoleto festival and it was the only good show i had ever seen at spoleto
edit: actually nevermind because i also saw addicted to bad ideas at spoleto once

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah the worst era is possibly when they’re on tour for Plastic Beach, cuz the music videos stopped being funded and it almost seemed like that was gonna be it for the band. Jamie and Damon were also in disagreement about things and it general just seemed like the end. We got The Fall at the end of the tour, which was infamously dubbed as the “iPad album” and then nothing for years. Well we did get that converse track with Andre 3000 and James Murphy which was a small glimmer of hope. But yeah I would agree that was probably the worst era to be a fan. Just felt hopeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the worst era in terms of my enjoyment is Humanz because the album is too long and meandering for my tastes