Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Blur released an album and supported it w tours. Might have something to do with it ;)

And don't forget Everyday Robots. I still pop that on from time to time. It doesn't break any new grounds or anything but if anyone enjoys Gorillaz they ought to give it a listen and see if there's something on it for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I like all the Gorillaz albums (and I'm a huge Everyday Robots fan which apparently makes me some sort of mutant) but I think it's time Damon lets an opinionated producer back into the mix (e.g., Dan the Automator, Danger Mouse, etc.)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

1) Gorillaz
2) D-sides
3) Plastic Beach
4) Humanz
5) The Now Now
6) Demon Days
7) The Fall

Song machine to be placed. I will accept my flagellation but Demon Days just never clicked with me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This album is loving incredible. I get the feeling it's kinda what Damon was going for with Humanz but maybe he wasn't quite in the right headspace for it at the time (and I say that as someone who really likes Humanz)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hughesta posted:

I feel like this is just Damon making a Gorillaz album as usual, but disconnected from the high concept headiness that grounded Plastic Beach and Humanz. This album is similar to those albums in that it has a ton of guests, but unlike those it doesn't stick to any cohesive setting or narrative and never tries to be anything more than a collection of fun songs. I think this approach both helps and hurts the record, but it's undeniable that these are some of the strongest songs in Gorillaz' discography

Yeah, I guess what I mean is that Humanz was a very deliberate "everything loving sucks right now, I'm going to force myself to have fun with a bunch of musicians I like and we're going to make upbeat songs" and Song Machine is that but without the strain of "this needs to be positive/cohesive" it just kinda happens to be Damon having fun with a bunch of people he admires and making good music in the process.

I do wonder if lacking the huge story overtones is gonna hurt reception to this but at the same time, this feels the most like the first album in spirit, if not musically (although MLS is definitely a phase 1 throwback)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I really like the Beck song but I feel like "With Love to an Ex" is up there in terms of the new tracks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah can we change the thread title to The Gorillas - Blur’s Damian Albran has a new side project?

I would take another "Everyday Robots"
That was my most played album of 14 and 15 probably

Goddamn, Damon is a versatile producer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

with love to an ex rules

It's so good that it shouldn't be relegated to "extra track" status

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Asema posted:

I just got my vinyl collection and boy is it really loving well put together and comes with a lot of real dope art

Same, it's loving gorgeous. Way nicer than I was expecting.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Here’s a question by the way

Who’s the most underused guest artist on any Gorillaz song? I would have to say Neneh Cherry on Kids With Guns. I label the songs in iTunes without the guest artists, so I didn’t even realise she was on that track until like last year

And I like Neneh Cherry :smith:

Tina Weymouth only doing backing vocals on 19-2000 seems pretty egregious to me. I mean the song still rips and the bass is great but if you've got Tina Weymouth and she isn't playing bass on at least one of your tracks you have hosed up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That was a good show. It didn't differ to much from the album version but doing the remix version of Clint Eastwood as a closer was pretty inspired and hopefully Damon/his band members managed to make more scratch from this than they probably do from streaming and record sales.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Such a good loving track
Albarn has been revitalized by Song Machine, I think

Not to say Humanz or The Now Now were bad (I loved them both immensely) but this is a real earworm

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

humanz is their best album

If we're counting the deluxe edition with "The Apprentice" I can see this

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Re-listening now and Strobelite is timeless and perfect too. And Saturn Barz
It's certainly not as conceptually tight as demon days or plastic beach but I think I remember an interview saying they wanted it to have a "party at the end of the world" kinda vibe and that was a perfect feeling then and only hits harder now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Now Now is no loving way the bottom album

The only song on that album I'd chop is Idaho and everything else is nearly perfect

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just gonna go off the cuff top 3 because how can you pick when it comes to this kind of output
3. November Has Come
2. Pink Phantom
1. Kansas

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Maybe Graham Coxon's solo stuff? He was the lead guitarist and secondary lead singer in Blur, the other huge band that Gorillaz' Damon Albarn was in

Ohhh and Damon Albarn's solo albums too of course, if you really like the 2D only songs in Gorillaz' catalogue. Plus his other side projects like The Good The Bad and The Queen.

Everyday Robots especially has huge Now Now vibes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I love Plastic Beach but it does seem like it really did Damon in for a while.
Dude was so jaded he rebounded a Blur album out of it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

Just got out of the Philly soundcheck. Never thought I'd get to hear Hong Kong live

They did hong Kong as the closer for the show tonight. It was so good. Damon had the crowd in the palm of his hands all night

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZPnmEeXnRY

Every track has been loving fire so far.
This is going to be the best one since Demon Days, no doubt

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jables88 posted:

How is this album so good and releasing nearly two decades after Demon Days.

dude just never seems to stop working
like this one apparently was "I saw a delivery drone and I wrote this" and just... what a leap

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 9, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I am so excited for this album. Even if the rest is all duds these 5 are solid gold, one and all

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some of the tracks on Humanz definitely feel like they could've benefited from the tuning the live performances gave them prior to the recording.
Some Gorillaz tracks are for listening and some are just for vibing the gently caress out
For instance, and it's not a fair comparison I know, but album "O Green World" is incredible, sure... but the live version is sublime to experience

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And for that matter, has Damon ever done anything with/talked about Dan or Kid Koala since the original?
The relative silence feels like they had a falling out or something.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Christ, this man doesn't rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Magic Whip was a super melancholy album (and very good don't get me wrong) but it felt like an extension of Gorillaz/Everyday Robots

I'm excited for something a little heavier that seems to have more of Coxon getting to do something