Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Hedrigall posted:

Just came out of the documentary.

It’s good. Very fly on the wall style, no narration or interviews. Just tons of footage from recording and live shows. No full songs live, just snippets but edited really well. Lots of funny bits. Not much on the art/Jamie side of things, almost all the music. No new songs or announcements. Bonus stuff after the credits is another 10 min or so of similar footage.

What songs do we get to see the making-of? My favorite stuff from the previous docs have been the look into songs being recorded, especially getting to hear early versions of some songs on the PB doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

absolutely loved the film. While not really a good documentary it was absolutely jam packed with treats for fans. Early versions of songs, tour rehearsals, cut tracks... even if we only got small pieces of them, it's a remarkable gift to have these bits of things that would otherwise be totally lost.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

The documentary is going up on youtube today, uncut

hughesta fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 25, 2020

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

there's a new single premiering next week, it features Slowthai and Slaves

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

based on all the info that's been creeping out over the last year and a half, I'm expecting a slow-releasing album, maybe a video for every song. There's gonna be a new G-Bite tomorrow too, we'll probably get quite a few of those down the stretch.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

song is good, cant believe we have a gorillaz song with mike dean production now

new song + video every month for the foreseeable future, per Damon himself.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

stev posted:

I haven't watched the video yet. The song's good but I feel like it's building up to a climax that never comes. It left me feeling a bit deflated.

I'll probably prefer it on repeat listens though.

e: Interesting that the Youtube version is nearly two minutes longer than the actual track. It looks like they had more video than song to work with so they repeated a bit to act as a long outro.

I like it, I'd have preferred that on the actual track.
count me as another who prefers the video version of the song. Really like both the song and video

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

stev posted:

I wonder how this is being funded since there's no album to buy and no tour to get tickets for. I doubt a drip feed of YouTube revenue and streaming fees will be enough to cover the production of a new song and video every month.
I'm sure stuff like their recent G Shock sponsor work went towards this. Probably see more brand stuff like that in the future.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

the gist of the lore I think is that it doesn't matter and canon is whatever Jamie wants it to be at any given moment

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

The people who are into the lore the most all seem to be 14 year olds on reddit and in the youtube comments which is mind boggling to me because they weren’t even born when demon days came out wtf
people who weren't even alive when Rise of the Ogre came out being the vocal minority who is super deep into Gorillaz lore fucks me up

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

new song is incredible, my favorite song machine track so far.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

spent $200 on a book that'll come with songs I'll have already heard by the time it comes out smh

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Nanigans posted:

$200?

Did you get the super limited edition?

By the way, I love how Murdoc made sure their signatures went in order: Murdoc, Russell, Noodle, 2D lol
Yeah I snagged the super deluxe before it sold out

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

new song out tomorrow - Friday 13th ft. Octavian

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Middle of the pack for me, which still means I think it's really good. Next episode sounds nuts too.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

1. Strange Timez (feat. Robert Smith)
2. The Valley of The Pagans (feat. Beck)
3. The Lost Chord (feat. Leee John)
4. Pac-Man (feat. Schoolboy Q)
5. Chalk Tablet Towers (feat. St Vincent)
6. The Pink Phantom (feat. Elton John and 6LACK)
7. Aries (feat. Peter Hook and Georgia)
8. Friday 13th (feat. Octavian)
9. Dead Butterflies (feat. Kano and Rosani Arias)
10. Désolé (feat. Fatoumata Diawara) [Extended Version]
11. Momentary Bliss (feat. Slowthai and Slaves)
12. Opium (feat. EARTHGANG)
13. Simplicity (feat. Joan As Police Woman)
14. Severed Head (feat. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
15. With Love To An Ex (feat Moonchild Sanelly)
16. MLS (feat. JPEGMAFIA and CHAI)
17. How Far? (feat. Tony Allen and Skepta)

Releases October 23rd

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think the deluxe almanac also only comes with the standard CD (I ordered the super deluxe), I'll just have to grab it on vinyl to compensate

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Humanz is a 10 The Now Now is a 6.5 and Song Machine will be a 10

Gorillaz are at their best when working with others and experimenting

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

The Walrus posted:

new track with Robert Smith is WOW.

where are you guys preordering for NA?
I pre-ordered an orange LP from Rough Trade and will grab the deluxe cd from a local place upon release

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

The Japanese version of the release features a bonus track called Taxi Back to 80s Reykjavik

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

gently caress yeah a 7 minute song with Earthgang is gonna be nuts

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

IUG posted:

Anyone know of a good place to order this one into the US?
Unfortunately I don't. I think the song will also be available digitally on Japanese streaming/digital marketplaces so if you want you could just buy that song standalone off some Japanese music store

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

1. Humanz
2. Gorillaz
3. Demon Days
4. The Now Now
5. Plastic Beach
6. The Fall

PB has better highs but worse lows than TNN so TNN winds up being the more consistently enjoyable album for me

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

The worst take I ever saw on the gorillaz subreddit was a long post saying people who prefer The Now Now over Humanz are racist and just don’t like all the black people singing on Humanz
I'll allow it

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

even Glitter Freeze has that fantastic alternate version

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

The Fall has a lot of cool stuff but I think it's probably one of the least rewarding Gorillaz listens.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

D Sides rules and I'm not huge on most of G Sides but Faust and Hip Albatross are supremely good

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I wanna take this opportunity to share an underappreciated Phase 1 gem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PttMcWXz2Fg

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think this nonalbum track is just about inarguably the best Gorillaz song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36DCuT1KxM4

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Its legendary for sure and honestly this + the music video was a perfect sendoff to Gorillaz and Humanz+the rest wasnt worth bringing it back for.
why would you want a music project to release less good music so you could have some fairy tale ending

seems kinda dumb imo

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

pretty sure the deluxe songs are intended to be a part of the "Humanz album experience" and were split because the album is long and WB wanted to sell a deluxe edition

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

stev posted:

Yeah, they flow incredibly well intro each other. It almost feels like an epilogue.
That's exactly how I've always thought of it - Humanz standard is pre-apocalypse, New World is apocalypse, rest of the Deluxe is post-apocalypse

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

On Melancholy Hill and Broken are both pretty boring songs and having them grouped up together makes for a real snooze moment on the record

Fortunately that block is followed up with Sweepstakes and Plastic Beach, which are awesome

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Best off-album track besides DoYaThing 13 Minute Version. Any true Gorillaz oldheads remember how hype this was? From when Plastic Beach was called Carousel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STfF-BXI9a0
These were good times. I still prefer Stylo's demo to what we got

Also what the gently caress @ the Bobby Womack hate in here

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Cloud of unknowing is good. Stylo is bad.

I checked out the new song machine songs and the only good one is the new one with robert. I wish damon albarn still had an actual drum kit available to use on his music
There are live drums on most of the new songs. The Robert Smith one is one of the few exceptions.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

really the digging the new track, and I agree with Shinjobi that Cloud of Unknowing is a really gorgeous and effective piece of music

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think his voice, autotune and all, floats really well on the track. Meshes nicely to my ears. Clearly Damon thought so too, because some his backing vocals are autotuned as well.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think 6lack's verse adds a real grounded element to the song while Damon largely harmonizes about summer lines and Elton John belts out stuff about diamond skies and peach highways

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Guess I'll be that guy

1. Friday 13th
2. Desole
3. Pac Man
4. The Pink Phantom
5. Momentary Bliss
6. Strange Timez
7. How Far?
8. Aries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I saw an interview that says they need permission to animate the collaborators, and Elton said yes. Even if 6lack said yes too, if you're making a video for this song on a very limited time and budget, you can probably only choose one of these people to fully animate, and I can't see a single reason not to choose Elton