Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

GlyphGryph posted:

So doing my "archer heavy" game, would like some opinions

I'm hoping to ultimately be running 8 archers and 4 shield-bros in a full team.

The shield bros are dedicated to melee accuracy and spear-work and surviving. I count on the archers to deal most of my damage.

Archer build:
Equipment:
Best bow possible, and pocks full of extra arrows. Light armor.
Perks:
Pathfinder, Nine Lives, Gifted
Bow Mastery, Overwhelm, Adrenaline
Berserk, Fearsome, Bullseye
Killing Frenzy or Lone Wolf

Seem good? Nine Lives is the only defense perk I'll be taking, after that the main goal is to beeline for overwhelm and keep pumping up initiative and focus on a good offense being the best defense. 8 archers worth of concentrated overwhelm fire should provide all the ranged defense I need, I figure!

Interested to see how this pans out, I want to know about the White Company too!

(For anyone not aware, and OP you might want to add this to your post, Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle, in addition to writing Sherlock Holmes, did a very fun couple of books about a hundred-years-war mercenary company called the White Company. I always assumed that this was why Glen Cook called his fantasy bad guy mercs the Black Company).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I mean, taking a bunch of slaves and giving them weapons and the ability to use them on eg nobles seems like a fairly solid thing to do.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

IDK, it seems tasteless, but I don’t think it’s out of keeping for the theme they are going for. The game is clearly meant to take place in a world where the default behaviour toward strangers is nasty, selfish, and cruel. If you’re choosing that option, you are choosing to define your mercenaries as morally bankrupt villains, and it uses a storytelling element that has been around forever (band of bad men descends on an isolated home, rapes the women and then kills everyone) as a shorthand for establishing that.

In fiction when someone does that they are usually not the protagonists, but that’s not always the case: it’s basically deciding that you’re the Judge from Blood Meridian. Yes it’s gross, but if you don’t want to contemplate it then don’t role play being the evil guys?

I suppose there’s an argument that it’s morally desensitising to have the option to play evil paths in games but that ship sailed back in the 2000s.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I mean having said that it’s not like it really adds anything, other than to evoke the specific image of “evil bunch of raiders” via a commonly used theme, which you could also do by describing pretty much anything else sadistic and unpleasant. People being what they are, someone somewhere probably would get off on that too. It just seems an odd assertion that this one line that 99% of players will never see is categorically edgier than any of the other bad guy decisions in this early modern hired killers/peasant misery simulator.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Presumably there will be nothing to actually stop the enterprising mercenary leader from attacking every slave caravan and murdering the slavers and guards.

As a bonus it will probably prompt them to send increasingly large armies after you, Deliveroo style.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

That was a wild read. At least the gladiators sound fun.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I thought they shut down Casey hollinghead after it came out that he was fashy?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I usually hit a wall around day 30 when most of my troops are in padded leather. I can take simple missions to kill bandits but anything beyond that kills half my team.

Everything was going great until we hit a mission to kill giants. Two unholds, and between the they just wrecked us.

What’s a sensible progression to look for around then?

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 15, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Most of your troops should be in padded leather by day 10-15 (your front line at least).

I’d expect my front line to be in a mix of worn mail shirts and basic mail shirts by day 30. Maybe a couple of lamellars.

edit: in the very early game check the marketplace in each village you come to for super cheap used armor. You can often find padded leather or lamellar super cheap because the durability is <50%. I usually manage to pick up 2-3 padded leathers or lamellars just using starting money.

How many troops do you look to hire and outfit with the starting cash? Assume a boringbro start.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Are the tavern rumours unreliable? My bros went to a pub, the barkeep said “There’s treasure in the tower of doom,” they went to the tower of doom and killed some suspiciously well equipped bandits, but no treasure was there.

I did get a nice footman’s armour though, barely used, only a couple of stab wounds.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

How do you enter the Holy War? It kicked off 40+ days ago, I chose the ambition to end it, but I have no idea how to get involved. I thought it might be missions, but either the RNG isn’t cooperating or there is something else that I am missing

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

What provides your killing power while you’re below L7, and how many troops do you put in the back row v front row while the front row is all shieldbros?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

dogstile posted:

Polearms, mostly.

I keep spear bro's on the end of the line until i can replace them with 2h hammer bro's. The middle of my line has whatever hodgepodge of maces, swords and axes I can grab. If i can get a flail that'll go on my best guy because he can one shot anyone not in a helmet and its not a bad weapon for midgame anyway. But look at the stat values for polearms, the damage is pretty nuts.

Thanks! Now I just need to find some hunters. I had 3 good ones but they got et by unholds.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I love the metal shields from the south, those are great for letting shield bros have a go at orcs.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

gently caress assassins so hard.

Day 80 of my Lone Wolf run and the holy war had just broken out. I couldn’t get any missions for it from the south so I accepted a noble house mission to hold the fallen star.

At this point the band is the titular lone wolf, who is L8 and lugging around a greatsword, plus 11 bros L6-7 with mostly 2 handers. Everyone has resolve in the 50s, fatigue in the 80s after armor, 150+ armour on the frontliners and 110+ armor on the crossbowman and archers. The company regularly clowns on unholds, ancient dead, hexen, alps, the works. So they are feeling pretty good when the opposing force turns out to be just 9 conscripts and 2 assassins.

gently caress me were they wrong about that. The assassins have top initiative, 6 move, are impossible to hit, never miss, throw a stun grenade and then immediately afterwards, throw a fire grenade that sets everyone engaged in combat, including their own guys, on fire. The conscripts apparently don’t mind as they just keep stabbing away with their firelances, which also never miss due to the debuffs, while the assassins are doing 3 murder hits per turn on anyone nearby. Meanwhile my mercs are fully fatigued, making one feeble hit back each turn, which usually misses.

Eventually the band limped away with 3 bros in good health and 3 wounded with an assortment of brain damage, missing limbs and so on. I disbanded the group shortly after as by this point all the contracts were along the lines of “kill 3 lindwurms”.

How are you supposed to fight Ezio and his buddies?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I can’t help thinking this game would be improved by a Pirates / Legionary Life - style system where by getting a high score and retiring you earn upgrades to your starting loadout and brothers for the next run.

If you could improve score by pensioning brothers off (right now I don’t know what goes into the score) that would help too.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Some of the southern missions are good but it’s very random.

I like the 3 skull one where you go to kill nomads and when you get there there’s a Necromancer waiting for you to show so he can drop a dramatic one liner before attacking you.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I have found there’s a kind of valley that’s hard to get out of in days 30-80.

I can reliably get through the early game with any background on pretty much any map. By day 10 I usually have 7-8 bros with tier 1 weapons and 80/90 armour. By day 30 that’s usually 10 bros with 90/115 mail, able to handle 2 skull contracts. A normal roster is 1-2 bros costing 1000ish and the rest costing 1-400. Statswise, usually everyone is above average but nobody is exceptional.

Then I kind of wander around directionlessly till the crisis starts, able to take on some but not other challenges. By day 80 most bros are level 6-7 with about 150 armour on frontliners.

Once the crisis hits I always feel under-geared or under-statted (MDEF rarely breaks 30 with shield).

Feels like I’m loving up somewhere along the line but I can’t easily diagnose where.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

That’s really helpful. Thanks!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

dogstile posted:

Now i use hammers on the edge of the line (if i don't think i'll need my spear tanks), a couple swords in the middle, with a couple macemen dotted about for stuns.

In the late game, under what circumstances would you field spear tanks instead of hammerers?

E: to be clear, this is a genuine question. Late game I’m never sure how to balance out my front line.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 21, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Is it wise to play with ablative bros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I don’t like the graphics, but I like the devs and I loved Battle Bros so yeah, day 1 purchase.

Also I do like the art direction - they nailed the Aliens style.