Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Loved it all! I teared up when Eureka was talking to Gaga.

Very happy that Nina won. I've liked her since the promos.

So far my favorites are Nina, Eureka, Sasha and Valentina.

Aja completely underwhelmed me. Maybe because she was talked up so much. She seems super full of herself and man, I can't get behind wearing real fur.

Everyone else was mostly meh to me. Jaymes was wow bad. I know she's a comedy queen but maybe I was missing the jokes? What was her deal with the sleepy stumble on the runway?

Man I hate that there's a week between shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Just finished Untucked and I wanted to give Nina a big giant hug. She seems so unsure of herself and her life. She's a star and can't see it.

Untucked made me renew my love of Gaga. She seems to fully understand the position she's in, being a gay icon and idol to so many young people. She seems like she takes that responsibility very seriously and with a lot of humility. I love how when Valentina tried to thank her, she turned it back and was like, no thank you.

Anyhow, Jaymes definitely needs someone to help her, like Bianca helped Adore. Charlie seemed like he wanted to genuinely help but that was not the time or place.

Eureka I like, but I feel like she's trying to push the drama. Like, during the entrances she read everyone as they came in. Then she tried to do the whole bottom 2 thing on untucked. It seems manufactured, like she's trying to be edgy but she backs off really quick when others don't play along.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

A couple of things.

That was the most boring LSFYL I've ever watched. That song was utterly wasted on them.

Valentina had the most gorgeous smile and beautiful teeth I have ever seen. I love her.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Nemo posted:

Aja was way better than Kimora, but neither of them were Tandi Iman Dupree. :colbert:

Holy poo poo god drat.

This LSFYL was a vast improvement over last weeks. Both of them didn't know the words, actually, which...how could you not know the words to that song? It's lipsinc/karaoke 101. Anyhow, Aja's makeup was scary. She reminded me of Seth Green playing James St. James in Party Monster when he dressed up like a troll, except she was red. The chaps were not that bad, but those panties were so awful. I actually liked Kimora's look a lot more, but Kimora is just so full of herself. Phara should have been in the bottom two.

I wasn't too impressed with Valentina's look. I mean it was super awesome, but I liked Eureka's look more as far as following a theme. I love how Nina went full on grey alien. Her makeup was so good once again.

I love what Michelle said about Valentina though. "She's so gorgeous you just want to go up to her and lick her face."

So the worst are gone. Everyone else who's around has considerable talent. It's going to be a rough competition from here on out!

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I'm enjoying Trinity more every episode. She totally deserved the win, especially when so many past pageant queens couldn't or wouldn't push themselves into comedy territory. Looks like she stumbled from the sea onto Daytona Beach during race day, it was absolutely perfect.

I loved her reveal for her dress. Why did they cut away?

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I loved Eureka so I'm so disappointed. I thought it was nice that she apologized to Valentina and Sasha. I don't think Eureka was ever trying to be purposefully mean. She just made some poor jokes. I hope she comes back and kicks some super rear end season 10.

Also, Meghan Trainer for the judge. No. I feel like everyone is forcing her into everything, trying to make her the next big thing. Stop trying to make fetch happen.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Oh my god peppermint killed that lip sync! When she did the shotgun move, I died. She was so on. Sorry CLF.

Although I thought Nina's Jasmine was good, I am also done with the girls doing other drag queens for Snatch Game. It's so niche. You have to have seen the other seasons to get it. So many missed opportunities to do celebrities.

Dear Prudence fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 29, 2017

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Why oh why does Aja never have a look that fits her? All her outfits are so badly tailored.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Calling my top three - Shea, Valentina, and Sasha.

Man, I held my breath with who was going home. I'm a sucker for an underdog so I was rooting for Nina. Can't say I'm too sorry Aja went home. She's a mess and I'm not even sure how she survived this long.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Nina you're next sorry.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she is next. Her attitude is so bad. So much talent and she can't get out of her own way. Last night when they were calling her out on being difficult to work with, Mama Rue looked so done with her. And then she made the comment about how yeah, she was angry and she seemed very angry herself about that. Girl, you only have yourself to blame.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Aja always overdraws her top lip and I don't get it. Looking at the normal outline, she has a really nice top lip. Comes to a good point and everything. But no, she's obsessed with the kool-aid stain lips.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Tom Holland (Spiderman) donned drag to lip sync to "Umbrella".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhu26-Yirw

SHANTAY YOU STAY!

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I'm Pacific time. I usually get home from work just after midnight and it's already up for me.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I literally hid behind my hands while watching Trinity, Farrah, and Alexis in that roast. I wanted to crawl into a hole and die I was so embarrassed for them.

I'm so glad Sasha did so well. And I couldn't tell if Valentina was playing up the ditzy and the accent but whatever, it worked. She was so freaking adorable.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

That's a really good interview. She's so amazing.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

It's been taken over by straight people looking to do some gay cultural tourism, and the gay community has mostly moved on, feeling unwelcome at our own bar.

This is why I avoid gay clubs for the most part. I don't want to be perceived as a tourist. And I don't want to mislead someone into hitting on me only to have to turn them down because I'm straight. That's not nice and it's not fair. I completely get the whole idea that it's a safe space and I don't understand this obsession some straight women have with invading it. Stop. It's not for you!

A God drat Ghost posted:

Yeah, I am a straight woman and I'm pretty reluctant to go to gay bars simply because I don't want to invade someone else's space, even though I would never act like you're all describing. I pretty much only go to a gay bar when there's a performer I want to see. I've loved drag since I was a tween and first gaped at Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show, I started going to local shows in college, and now with RPDR taking off so much it seems like there are so many more straight people, esp. women, at drag shows, and I have heard some grumbling from the gay community that they feel like drag is being taken away from them. I don't know what to do about that one though. I love drag, I don't want to stop going to shows, as if I alone could turn back the mainstreaming effect. I appreciated what Lady Gaga had to say in the first episode, about being a straight woman who wants to pay the gay community respect and still be in some way a part of it. Not really a solution though.

I love drag and have pretty much the same experience as you. I will occasionally go see a drag show at Hamburger Mary's but even then I feel like I'm intruding. I just make sure I bring lots and lots of cash with me and am very generous. It helps with the guilt.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I'm so upset.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Nina left her a letter, which i guess she hasn't done for any of the girls who've left so far.

I think Ru was super pissed. We all thought she'd go to final three, even Ru and the when she did so spectacularly bad on the lip sinc, Ru's hand was forced and she was pissed. I mean come on, taken side by side Valentina is heads and tails better than Nina. Nina should have gone home. But there's no way Ru could have sent her home after Valentina did so awful. If be pissed too. I was hoping it might be a no elimination decision but she couldn't even justify that it was so bad.

I don't know about people having meltdowns, that seems crazy, but I know I'm bummed for sure. But I know she will be the first queen to walk into that work room on All Stars 3. Who else do you think will be on All Stars 3?

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

As far as trainwreck acting challenges go, that one was at least somewhat entertaining and not too cringeworthy.

Though they really should've done "Valentina Standing in a Diaper Smiling in Silence while Nina Argues with Imaginary Critics" the show.

Valentina had the idea of working in an office, Nina had the idea of doing a Jerry Springer kind of show. They should have combined that idea and been something like the host and booking agent for a trash talk show and having to contend with the crazy guests. That would be a tv show I would watch.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

As far as Ru seeming checked out, I just think she's busy. Aren't they doing a movie or series about her life? I figure that's eating up a lot of her spare time. I think she loves the show, she's just distracted with a full plate, where as previous seasons it was really the only thing she was doing.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

This is my favorite fan video of Tik Tok. I really don't like Kesha but when I saw this fan video, suddenly I liked Tik Tok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZWaWrvJ7nA

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

I can't believe the other girls let Alexis down like that. :(

Kidding aside, Peppermint loving KILLED it on that lipsync, and I loved Sasha's Trinity puppet. I couldn't stop laughing at the hot glue line.

Now for some hating on Alexis, as it's the last time I'll get to do it this season:

"Sasha's rainbow outfit is so basic…*comes out in a rainbow stripped pantsuit*" :laffo: forever.

The only thing better than the second wig reveal was watching the life drain from Alexis' performance as Peppermint went into overdrive. By the end, she was just vaguely gesturing and trying not to give in to the urge to storm off.

In the mini challenge, the feather joke was funny, but it went nowhere, and the whole bit just became "I don't understand half of what Sasha says, so I'm just gonna try to make fun of it as best I can" (or as I call it, "Republican comeback mode").

On a positive note, however, at least her Native American costume wasn't as racist as I thought it would be. :unsmith:

If you could please stop posting from my head, that would be great. I came to say everything you said, point by point.

The only thing I'll add is it's very clear Alexis does not have imagination. Every look she had was basic as gently caress and a literal interpretation of the assignment. Rainbow? I have rainbow stripes everywhere! Unicorn? I'm a gold unicorn! Indian? Beaded corset and tribal print skirt! I mean, she didn't even have a necklace for the Indian look. A beaded, turquoise necklace would have been amazing as gently caress. A lot better than a bow on your head.

I was gaga over Trinities cop look. Balls out amazing.

I'm happy with final 4. Shea is gonna win it I think.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Though I disagree about Trinity's cop look. Trinity would never have her balls out. The Haus of Taylor TUCKS, gurl! :colbert:

Haha! True true! How could I forget that?!

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Final 4 all have to LSFYL, right? And I mean normally that hasn't been an issue, but what if the person is bad at it? I am worried about Sasha because most of what I've seen of her lip sync is very media driven avant garde. Can she do a traditional lip sync? I hope it isn't a Valentina repeat!

Also, yes Andy McDowell has to be a witch because bitch hasn't aged since the 90s. She looked drat good!

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

Current mood:

Pinwiz11 posted:

First beach day of the year!

(I had to go and make it myself.)

God bless you both.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

There's an elimination. Only three go on to the finale.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

esperterra posted:

Katya is one of my favourite queens, but it's definitely one of those situations where avoiding her general fanbase at all costs is a must. Especially the ones who ship her with Trixie, and read erotic fanfiction to them at their DragCon panel, even after they're asked to stop.

Whoa wait what?!

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

"Bitch you look like you ATE James and his giant peach!" Dead. I'm posting from beyond the grave.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I also loved Ru's laid back approach, and willingness to just let the drama go.

Not only that, but Ru was giving shade and dumping drama too! When Charlie was listing excuses and all "I didn't say that" Ru was like "Let's see the tape!" I loved it!

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I feel like she was trying to support and mentor this group a lot more than previous years, and participating in the reunion like that really drove that point home for me.

If supporting and mentoring means calling them on their bullshit, I agree.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Valentina doesn't admonish her fans for their behavior because she likes it. Adoring fans who will throw down for you? It makes you feel good, powerful. She's enjoying herself. I don't really know if that makes her a bad person.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Oh I completely agree. Call me naive but I wasn't expecting it from her. I follow her and other queens on IG but I don't pay attention to the comments so I didn't realize any of this was happening until this show. It's great filler drama until the finale drops.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I am drooling over Willam's thighs in that video.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I'm so happy with Sasha's win. She's been a favorite of mine since the promo photos were released. Her lip syncs were so amazing. Someone else said it, but I also was expecting her to rip off her dress and have a rose petal explosion. How come she wasn't crowned? They gave her the scepter, but Bob hung on to the crown and never put it on her head as she walked. Kind of weird.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Everyone being salty over Sasha winning over Shea can sit down. These lip syncs were not a surprise. They had a long time to practice and really turn it up. After all that we got basic dance and sing from Shea. It's disappointing. A trick, a ruveal, a SOMETHING always goes big with the crowd, and more importantly, with Ru. Shea didn't try. I don't know why she didn't. She brought generic bar room lip sync to the loving finale. Get out of here with that bullshit.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

On IG, Sasha said she had something strapped to her thigh for a reveal in case she had to dance to Stronger. I wonder what it could have been. Roses in the wig was super awesome, even without the tease from the gloves.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

Did we already have this Vox article about teenage fans of Drag Race in here? It's pretty good.

From the article

quote:

After RuPaul’s keynote (the final event of the con), one 19-year-old girl summoned the courage to go up in front of hundreds of fellow fans and ask her idol, through so many sobs we could barely understand her, “How do you wake up in the morning and tell yourself you’re beautiful?”

I choked up. Being a grown up I find this show so much fun and delightful. It didn't occur to me how much it would mean to a younger audience, queer or otherwise. I remember being that girl, trying to figure out how to express myself in the face of pressure to conform. I've never been traditionally pretty and even today it's sometimes a mystery to me how to find myself beautiful. Cheers to that girl and I hope she takes what Ru said to her to heart.

RuPaul posted:

I'm looking at you. You are beautiful.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I learned to like Willam watching his YouTube show The Beatdown. He's hilarious and he always looks so good.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Wow that's super bad. Respect for Shea taking a huge hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I didn't watch untucked while I was watching season 8. I came back and binged all of them after season 9 and Thorgy, who I loved in 8, comes off so bad in Untucked. She very much reminded me of Alexis Michelle with the whole "why didn't you guys tell me I looked bad" thing. Also, she seems more fake when you listen to the stories Bob tells about Thorgy when they worked together at a regular job.

Acid Betty was another person i loved who looked real bad in Untucked. She was so catty. Like when Kim Chi got the video from home from Trixie Mattel and Acid Betty was making fun if Trixie's makeup. Like, girl stop. This is a sweet moment for Kim and you're going to talk trash about who she's getting it from? Not even to mention that Trixie's makeup is iconic and completely her. She does it right. Ugh.

• Locked thread