Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Bless Eureka's reaction to meeting Gaga, I wonder if we'll hear more about that on Untucked?

Also now I wish we could have Gaga every so often, her comments were so on point and her criticism constructive. I like how she remembered something about all of those outfits in terms of the designers or circumstances she wore it for. Also it was cute to see a wide shot and how her feet only made it halfway down the chair :3:

I'm here for Peppermint and Nina, it'll take me a few weeks to warm up to anyone else.

Pinwiz11 posted:

My guess was Trinity K. Bonet

This is my guess, too, especially given the circumstances around her leaving the show if memory serves.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Finally watched Untucked and I'm upset Gaga can't be a weekly judge. That was the gold standard of constructive criticism. If she ever decides she's done with full-time performing I hope she becomes a critic on the regular.

When Kimora told Eureka she wanted her to be her Drag Mom that was the cutest thing.

This is the first season in a while where the top three aren't totally evident. My initial guess would be Nina, Eureka, and Peppermint, but I think that's more they stand out to me personally. It's not like say Bob or Sharon who from the get-go were beyond the rest.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The only reason I can imagine is Ru felt Kimora may have more to offer as a competitor. Not watched the new Untucked yet but frankly sending Jaymes home felt like a mercy kill. She's a gracious loser and seems grateful for the opportunity, so I'd imagine she'll have steady work at least. But I agree a double elimination was in order too, Kimora's performance felt like a weekday mid-shift stripper halfway into her shift.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I appreciate Aja seems just self aware enough to recognize she was being bitter and upset. I hope she takes Trinity's and the others' advice about following the judges' suggestions and improving. I have to wonder if she had changed her backstory up it would have been Farrah instead? She came off more as "cursed by my mother's chain-smoking cloud" than a volcano.

I'm enjoying Trinity more every episode. She totally deserved the win, especially when so many past pageant queens couldn't or wouldn't push themselves into comedy territory. Looks like she stumbled from the sea onto Daytona Beach during race day, it was absolutely perfect.

Untucked: the "soft sculpture" remark, holy poo poo.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Eureka won the greatest prizes of all: she will always be welcome at WoW, her drag shows will always be full, but best of all she demonstrated a sincere apology and an incredible character that will earn a ton of respect in the industry and among her fans. Even better she made new friends and elevated her relationship with Trinity. I liked her before, but now she's one of my favorite queens of all time.

I really hope Nina can stop self-sabotaging and pull from her own head. I need a gif of that mascara tear stat. And my gawd, I about died with the way she turned around when Untucked became the Alexis Michelle pity party...

Please tell me I'm not the only person who responded to the winner's prize with have a good time with Sasha on your cruise, Shea

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Bina posted:

Found this on good ol Tumblr

This is incredible. I'd buy a retelling of a whole season like this.

Speaking of Aja: I felt like her runway was an answer to Valentina's from the fairy tale challenge.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

After it aired Peppermint tweeted "Please let me very clear. I am against gun violence in every way possible! I had to pull out all the stops tonight and I love my girl ❤🏁" which is just so endearing to me. If she doesn't make top 3 she'll have my Miss Congeniality vote for sure.

Peppermint was also recently interviewed in HuffPo.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Sarcopenia posted:

Is it just me or is Nina lightening up more and more every time she's been in the bottom? She might just be getting some confidence from winning the lip syncs but I think she's starting to realize/think that she's not going to win and just starting to have some fun with it. She seemed to really like working with Valentina and was content with going home based on the challenge. Her attitude was also way better with the judges.

I don't know about lightening up, but Nina at least doesn't make excuses for screwing up or tying to spin the lack of preparedness. She explained she wanted to do a more detailed chest but ran out of time and said so (and at least she didn't wear that chestplate, although it amuses me she was slapping tits that weren't there!), nor did she drag Valentina for the bad show. It saddens me to see Nina so deeply in her head; my sister had a similar falling out with a friend much like the Untucked conversation with Shea years ago but thankfully got help and has a strong friendship with that person now. I just want to see Nina believe in herself. :(

Alexis is far worse in behavior imo. She got into almost the same argument with Peppermint over the narration that reminded me of the 9021-Ho challenge. She tried to take credit for the show as a way to hide her lack of standout performance. Any time there's a body read she's portrayed as shutting down (possible shady editing aside) and while of COURSE there's lines not to cross (disorders) she'll dish it out no problem.

Nina is frustrating, but Alexis is downright toxic. And like others said Alexis hadn't brought anything particularly unique nor proven she's as well rounded as Trinity, Shea, Sasha, or Peppermint. Unless one of them makes a major misstep next week I think we're seeing Alexis and Nina LSFYL and I hope Alexis goes home first.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

As much as I was rooting for Nina I'm glad it's over for her. It's very clear there's something RuPaul sees in Nina like a past shadow self, especially with that final name send-off. I hope she accepts the sort of help someday that convinces her she's worth it. Her level of depression is disheartening. While I agree with Shea's and Sasha's past remarks about her, there seems to be a willingness from some queens and viewers to ignore her possible issues and blow it off as "negativity."
I can't remember where I saw this but someone remarked that if Nina were a white, twinky, art queen you'd have Tumblr falling all over to defend her.

P.S. I'd check the gently caress out between Alexis's excuses and the overstated screeching too.

angerbeet posted:

Anyway Winter Green for Miss C.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

BYEEEEEEE! Seriously she looked like a drunk mom at her teen kid's 70s retro party.

WELP I guess Shea and Sasha are going to Zumanity!!! I am extremely pleased with this final four and would be happy with any of them as the winner.

Fake edit: I just found out the official shipping term is "sashea" :magical:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I have never so badly NOT wanted someone to go home. :unsmith:

EDIT: :pusheen:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 10, 2017

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Either they played that entire show like a telenovella or these are some of the most internally ugly queens we've had in a long time. Sounds like Valentina's "perfect" ice fairy was a self-insert after all. And Selena? Really? I've never been so uncomfortable/cringing in reaction to a show in a while, I don't recall prior shows being this way. Even the Chronicles of Alyssa and Coco weren't like this.

I don't care what screenshots someone was sending Shea because it's awfully easy to fake that poo poo. The only shade Nina casts is on herself.

Oh and P.S. Alexis still can't take the heat.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Dear Prudence posted:

"Bitch you look like you ATE James and his giant peach!" Dead. I'm posting from beyond the grave.

I wish Trinity could return because she and Eureka seem amazing as professional rivals. Trinity is one of the few where I feel all of her reads are genuine and she manages to be shady without being hurtful or hateful. I didn't buy her at first, but now I'm proud she's an Orlando queen.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

She's a manipulative witch. And since Bob and Kim Chi and Milk did their own versions as a reaction she can turn around and pretend she set a trend and bask in the shade.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Please explain to this old out-of-the loop queer: what did Banks do that was homophobic? Is she running her mouth and showing her rear end by not knowing wtf she's talking about or is she explicitly being a homophobe and denying what LGBTQ folks experience?

vvv thanks for the links and ugh what is Shea *doing*

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 6, 2017

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://twitter.com/sheacoulee/status/883464999850717187

"I'm not hurting anyone. If u don't like my decisions. You can unfollow, unsubscribe, block, and keep it moving..."

Posted 20-ish minutes ago. Feh.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

angerbeet posted:

I want vile, hate-filled bitches, not ~~Valentina~~ precious uwu smol bean types

But that's the same thing? :confused:

esperterra posted:

As for Tyra, I wonder how much of her cold personality lately has to do with that just being who she is....

e: also black queens do often get away with less than the white girls do when it comes to the RPDR fanbase, which is gross and sad

Agreed to both. Is it tougher to be liked when you have a cold personality? Sure, but back in S2 it seemed like Tyra unapologetically owned who she was, which I respected even when I thought Raven was a stronger performer overall. I haven't watched/listened to recent Tyra interviews (I didn't know about his dad being gay) but I think back to the S2 one-on-one interviews when Tyra said he was doing this for his son. The conviction was so strong and when it came down to the final LYFYL Tyra absolutely deserved the win.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Nihonniboku posted:

But, this is how you educate people. Courtney who is genderqueer, and Stacy Lane who is trans, showed incredible patience and understanding for Willam. Sometimes blowing up at someone and calling them horrible monsters for saying something ignorant isn't the best way to get through to them.

In Willam’s case he has several friends and fellow entertainers who know him well, care about him, thus are far more inclined and glad to help educate him. The “blowing up” and shunning isn’t quite so surprising when it’s from randoms, especially for a public figure on the internet. Reminds me of how folks are encouraged to confront their family and friends on racism, bigotry, transphobia, etc. because there’s a greater likelihood of understanding and discussion when it’s someone you care about saying “hey, this is really hurtful and here’s why.”

I’m not surprised there’s a lack of education among drag queens because by and large most are still gay cismen who still tend to dominate LGBTQ overall and aren’t always as willing to learn from their mistakes as Willam is.

Learning about “hyper queen” was cool too, the “bio queen” term always made me feel uncomfortable and I couldn’t nail down why. :doh:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I want to start Dragula but is season 1 worth it or is it fine to skip and get into season 2? Based on the unspoilered discussions it sounds like 2 really stepped up in production value, but does that alone make season 1 unwatchable?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Thanks for the input! I do have Prime and typically forget it’s there so I’ll be firing up from S1. Just seeing reactions to the S2 finale makes me feel like I need to build up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I’m just starting Dragula S1E1. I’m already floored. I’m pretty ignorant of this particular world of drag but I’m already floored. I know it’s all theatrics but simultaneously feel like it’s where I need to be. Like I want to cry.

Edit: probably because it’s interesting to see larger bodies with hair and well, uh, bear pride! Also it’s interesting to see attractive gay men (like their umbrella-holder) shot in the same fashion as exploit-y, gaze-y old monster films.

More edit: IS IT BECAUSE I ATE EVERYTHING AT CRAFT SERVICES?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 21, 2018

• Locked thread