Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

fool_of_sound posted:

Guy with Tail x Invisible Girl is anything but token, friend.
Same with (maybe flashback spoiler so, e: also maybe me reading too much into it but I hope not) Mina and Kirishima.

Eej posted:

He (side panel joke from the manga so technically a spoiler?)tells a 7 year old girl she'll be hot in 10 years which is like what the gently caress
To be fair, that's a common gross trope in manga/anime, not relegated to this louse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I liked the lil bit of Todoroki x Yaoyorozu from last season, I hope it keeps up of them both being the, on paper at least, the gifted duo of 1-A that are still kind of foils for the other

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Funny that Chris Sabat is getting to jump back on MHA right after the sub of DB Super ends.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

PMush Perfect posted:

Funny that Chris Sabat is getting to jump back on MHA right after the sub of DB Super ends.

The Super dub is still near the beginning of the Goku Black arc, so he'll still be doing both for a while.

Could All Might defeat Jiren?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mineta's power is interesting and when he has to do something, demands clever utilization that's fun to watch

Mineta's personality is weird and creepy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's made worse because Kaminari is exactly the tone he should have shot for with Mineta

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mineta feels like a vehicle that got put in as an excuse to draw lewd stuff with the female characters he was either imagining or sneaking into places where he shouldn't (like that one changing room shot) but the author decided wisely to not go all the way with it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

EmmyOk posted:

It's made worse because Kaminari is exactly the tone he should have shot for with Mineta
This pretty much. I kinda roll my eyes at the tumblr/twitter crowd who endlessly loving whine about him and Momo's costume and other stuff but he really just has to be a poo poo almost every time he's on screen and it's somehow just tiring/weak instead of whatever it's supposed to be. There's a lot of token pervert characters that people seem to complain less about with objectively worse behavior (See: Meliodas, Master Roshi, etc) but the way Mineta acts is so offputting in comparison and he somehow comes off more skeevy than a dude who literally physically molests the object of his affections and a guy who literally shrunk himself down to watch a girl pee.

As it is, we're stuck with the character as is until Horikoshi decides to have him do literally anything of interest. Like, do the Japanese readers even like him?

Anyway, on actual anime discussion as much as I like John Swasey I wish Funi had the cash and time to recast All For One to Ron Perlman.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fabricated posted:

As it is, we're stuck with the character as is until Horikoshi decides to have him do literally anything of interest. Like, do the Japanese readers even like him?

Horikoshi does at least.

...No really, he considers Mineta to be relatable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mineta is lovely but he usually gets slapped down for it. And he had some development in the final exam arc. I think the character's fine, and he may be "relatable" in that most people have known a creep like him at some point.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

There's a lot of token pervert characters that people seem to complain less about with objectively worse behavior (See: Meliodas, Master Roshi, etc) but the way Mineta acts is so offputting in comparison and he somehow comes off more skeevy than a dude who literally physically molests the object of his affections and a guy who literally shrunk himself down to watch a girl pee.

It's probably because Meliodas, Roshi, Jiraiya, etc. do things other than be perverts sometimes. Hoshikori has said that he realizes that some people don't like characters like Mineta, so he limits Mineta's screentime, but I think this actually ends up making the Mineta-dislikers dislike him even more because he never gets to show other facets of his personality.

Personally I find Mineta amusing most of the time, but he definitely crossed a line in the most recent chapter.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 7, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh dear, i should probably catch up

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fabricated posted:

He's way way low on the Japanese character polls. Ranked 18 on the first one and unranked on the second and third.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 7, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
This is the anime thread, just to make sure people remember. We're treading into accidental spoiler territory here.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nobody likes Mineta, and the people who claim to like Mineta just enjoy seeing people get worked up over the mere mention of his name.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Two-cour? Not surprised, the next two arcs really dovetail into one another.

God, we're gonna see some real hype poo poo next season.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

TWENTY FIVE EPISODES

SAME DAY SIMULDUB (for the first 6 eps)

LET'S GO

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/970708901057441792

On the one hand, it's good that I'll get new episodes of both Food Wars and MHA in April. On the other hand, the blog linked to in that tweet is not available in my country? I get if the episodes are not available, but the blog? :shrug:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bofast posted:

On the one hand, it's good that I'll get new episodes of both Food Wars and MHA in April. On the other hand, the blog linked to in that tweet is not available in my country? I get if the episodes are not available, but the blog? :shrug:
It's an announcement from the official Funimation webpage, dunno why it's blocked in your country.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Mineta is relatable in that way that we all had that guy in our class whose mind was in the gutter and was a class clown.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mineta is relatable to Horikoshi because he said Mineta is most like him. Y'know, what relatable means.

Also his favourite character, because obviously.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was at one point, but I dunno if it's still true, given how much poo poo he's giving himself.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

One for All, Full Cowl is so cool

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You should have seen me in the manga thread last year. I was so salty that such a cool powerup/moment had been spoiled by a garbage OVA.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like Crunchyroll just released the results of their popularity poll from last year. Some interesting results, including best girl Tsuyu getting top 5, and Mineta getting a whole 0.1% of the votes. Good opinions mostly.

Edit: Christ, Deku's lead, though. Almost double what second place got, and a full 25% of all the votes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There are several manga characters in there as you get further down the poll, so if you don't recognize a name, that's why.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Which is weird, since it was hosted on an anime site.

Proud of Tetsutetsu for getting some votes, even if it's just a few. :3:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i cant believe only one person thinks shigaraki is the best but forty one people think mineta is.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

they must have forgot the 0 at the end of tokoyami's vote count??

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Shigaraki getting 1 vote is bizarre as all hell, but the one I find weirder is that Stain only got 14.

E; Actually, no, I take it back. Weirdest thing is Deku's Shoe not getting any.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 7, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

they must have forgot the 0 at the end of tokoyami's vote count??

Amateurs voting tend to forget that all popularity polls assume you recognize that Tokoyami is #1, you're actually voting for your second favorite.

But I can respect wanting to vote for Tokoyami twice.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I finished season 2 today (it's a snow day, so there was nothing to do besides watch this) and I have one observation:

this show loving owns, season 3 now!! I especially like how everybody in 1-A gets some screen time, it gives the show a more balanced feel so the focus isn't on Deku the whole time. but I can't believe All Might didn't even hold back on him and Bakugo, he nearly ruined Deku's spine for no reason

Gran Torino is cool as poo poo too

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bakugo surprisingly low on that poll.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dragonatrix posted:

Shigaraki getting 1 vote is bizarre as all hell, but the one I find weirder is that Stain only got 14.

I honestly feel like Shigaraki getting ONLY one is weirder. people love this weird psuedo bishonen

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
As a manga reader, I'm deeply disappointed that Deku's Shoe didn't receive a single vote.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

Maybe Deku's Shoe doesn't work as well in animation or outside Japan :shrug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

I honestly feel like Shigaraki getting ONLY one is weirder. people love this weird psuedo bishonen

They do!?

I mean I do and he might be my favourite but I didn't realise he was noticeably popular. I mean clearly not popular enough to get more than one vote, but popular enough that some find it very weird he didn't get more than one vote.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
He's a cool villain, cool villains usually get a whole lot of votes. Especially considering the episode season 2 ended on, which featured Shigaraki being creepy and powerful front and center, and yeah its pretty weird he only got one vote. Stain getting so few votes is also very weird, for similar reasons.

I guess the ensemble cast is just too strong.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd definitely consider Stain a cool villain, but i'm not sure Shigaraki measures up. Even though he is way better.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Stain getting so few votes is also very weird, for similar reasons.

Looking at the list again, it might just be because very few people realised who he was? Only Gran Torino and Desotoro have their hero names listed (because we don't know their real names (yet?)), whereas everyone else has their real name even if it hasn't come up in the anime. Then again, Midnight barely missed out on the top-20 so who knows for sure.

Although that might just be a CR thing for consistency. I dunno how people were voting; at first I figured it was just selecting by name but then I noticed Koichi from the Vigilante spin-off had One Vote so that probably can't be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watched this with a friend and it was her first anime. She's very invested now!

• Locked thread