Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

Spudalicious posted:

That said all these idiots in this thread talking about how they are checking your KDA and getting mad at you for sucking makes me not want to play with goons. Can we get a lovely gamer forum, for people who suck at games?

I only know of one person who actually unironically checks KDR/ADR and mine suck and we played in the same squad anyway and had some fun shooting mans.

I dont think anyone really cares all that much about it - I haven't run into anyone that absolutely refuses to group up because of some numbers.

Like any game that does matchmaking, its better to group up with people around your rank anyway, if you get dropped into a game with everyone much better than you you're probably not going to take anyone out and you'll die without much warning.

TLDR; groups form all the time in discord, just :getin: and get guns and shoot them at people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Premature posted:

Thanks goons for the 3/4 chicken dinners and a second place, our team was ruining the NA servers no less.

Here it is as promised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CqQKt4a3YY

^ tap w, no s needed

Astarath fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 12, 2017

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

I'm pretty sure he means being an rear end in a top hat to everyone else not in your squad, at the very least squad members can take hits instead of you so they're sort of like extra armour. Anything they do that isnt literally shooting/meleeing you or running you over, you can use in keeping yourself alive.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

I tried the volume equalisation thing and man, when its quiet the ambient noises get amplified so much its deafening anyway

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Then everything is too quiet and I can't hear footsteps unless someone is sprinting.

It sounded like a good idea but there are just way too many downsides, including what WBG just said

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Or I could, you know, just take off the headphones for the plane ride part of it. That works too. That and people shouting in the lobby were the only real reason to enable volume equalisation anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the sound wasn't loud enough to be painful, i'm not a complete idiot. It's just annoyingly loud, and since it's the ambient noise - always there. Always. And yes, volume equalisation has precisely two settings: On, and Off.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I hit ctrl+m until I hit the ground. If I'm going for a long boat ride I tend to do that as well.

That means you can't hear people shooting at you, doesn't it?

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Speaking of noises heres a short video showing how sound can give away your position and get you killed by a Bad Player (its me, im the bad player). The second last guy to die shouldn't have taken the shot that he did. It is what lost him the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOyvH1-FY3M

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

It was Daikatana, actually. You've probably forgotten from the trauma of John Romero making you his bitch.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

I guess its meant to be wind through the trees? But that would be stupid, because the wind would remove the fog. It's probably wind through the trees.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

bug report: jumped off a two story building onto asphalt and my legs DIDN'T shatter. instead what broke was my immersion. please fix.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

No. They work in similar ways but not exactly the same. Your DPI is the number of "steps" you take per real life inch of mouse movement. Your sensitivity is the size of those steps. So if you had retardedly low DPI and retardedly high sensitivity you'd begin to see your cursor literally skip pixels as it moves across the screen.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Star Man posted:

I finally bought this game. My second ever death was because I jumped out of a moving vehicle.

Like, comment, and subscribe.

You're supposed to do this instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfMa7zNJxGk

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

look at them both in combination. High KDR low ADR? you're good at finishing off players that other people have already shot. High ADR low KDR? you need to focus on sealing the deal because you're probably hitting a lot but people manage to get away. I guess you want to aim for an ADR about 100x your KDR.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

It evolved from the joke about people having potatoes for computers. It probably crossed over to people with the help of the meme of the downs kid counting to potato.

No its just straight up referring to Downs and being slow, it always has (slow computer being "a potato" is just a thing by itself? really?)

The only food reference like that was in the early 2000s and came from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In WoT really bad people were called tomatoes because a popular mod that showed win rate had people with really bad stats show as red in the scoreboard. In that, I assumed that potato came from something worse than a tomato, but I’m not sure how that would have gotten into the wider gaming world so that probably isn’t it.

They were called tomatoes during vanilla because when you get disarmed your fists glow red - shortened form of "tomato fists of fury", and noone pvped as a warrior without death grips or a weapon chain if you had any idea what you were doing.

EDIT: My bad, misread that as WoW. Funny coincidence with the name though.

Astarath fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 27, 2017

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Hooplah posted:

That argument doesn't follow. If the vast majority of pubg players aren't from china, then why are the vast majority of the hackers?

The vast majority of players aren't hackers, the vast majority of chinese players aren't hackers, but you only need 1% of your player base cheating to have at least one person ruining most, possibly even all, games at any one point in time. When most of the people doing the ruining have a common element to their name, that's where the stereotype starts.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

aborn posted:

What the gently caress is this :psyboom:

Let me use this example: Imagine four hackers on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the hacker nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of hackers and takes the place of the first hacker. The formerly first hacker becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Race works the same way.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Hooplah posted:

Is it still a stereotype if that "common element" is mandarin shorthand for hacker and a weibo link?

well, yes. that's literally what a stereotype is :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

New Zealand can eat me posted:

A stereotype would need to be further oversimplified, past the literal fact of the matter :psyduck:

Thats exactly what is happening :psyboom:

• Locked thread