Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Its back, and the new season picks up about six months after last season.

Let's see where everyone's at:

Sunny made a friend in bartertown! His name's Baije, and I'm sure that's insignificant. (Link to wikipedia entry for the mythological background of the name.)

The Barrons are a mess. Sad!

Tilda's a character that makes decisions now. Good for her!

M. K. is off being a better Iron Fist (maybe?)!

Veil is... somewhere? (old picture used, who knows what she's up to!)

Into the Badlands is airing on AMC, Sundays 10/9c First couple episodes of the new season are still on the AMC website: http://www.amc.com/shows/into-the-badlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Watched the first season on Netflix and got hooked, so I'm glad there's a season 2 happening. The escape attempt and the oil factory raid were drat brutal, and it's cool seeing Tilda be pretty ruthless. I can't help but think of Dishonored when I see her and the Widow's outfit.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Haven't watched last night episode but the premiere left me a little cold. I think a lot of it is I don't remember much from last season at all, especially where we left everyone. Can someone give me a summary of what happened already or point me at one? I'm sure there's stuff that we aren't supposed to know but I was just overall confused by the end of the premiere.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Epi Lepi posted:

Haven't watched last night episode but the premiere left me a little cold. I think a lot of it is I don't remember much from last season at all, especially where we left everyone. Can someone give me a summary of what happened already or point me at one? I'm sure there's stuff that we aren't supposed to know but I was just overall confused by the end of the premiere.

Wikipedia summary isn't bad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Badlands_(TV_series)

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Season 2 already better than Season 1 with the addition of Nick Frost.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, didn't this show get cancelled?

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I don't recall any talk of it being cancelled except by people who didn't like it hoping that it would be.

I enjoy it. I don't pay too much attention to it because it's kind of dumb. I don't like the actor playing M.K. (I think he's on par with that kid in Walking Dead, just bad).

Agreed that the addition of Nick Frost will make things better. If seeing some of the commercials for the series is any indication he might do some dumb kung fu stuff as well.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I don't remember the 1st season being this gory. Action scenes and aesthetics continue to be great, it's a dumb fun series (the fights are so much better than Iron Fist)

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

ZZZorcerer posted:

I don't remember the 1st season being this gory. Action scenes and aesthetics continue to be great, it's a dumb fun series (the fights are so much better than Iron Fist)

I think that's because season 1 fights were smaller scale. A skirmish between maybe a dozen people in the scene. They didn't have a scene where someone literally is mowing down wave after wave of mooks. Plus eviscerating men is kinda Widows thing. Also I'm can't wait to hear why Veil decided it would be a good idea to bring Quinn back from near death.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 29, 2017

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The whole warrior monk monastery was sketchy to begin with, but I was not expecting it to be built on some underground lab from today's era where they lobotomize escapees, or whatever the hell that was. And Nick Frost took a fucker's hand off. At least Sunny has a badass new sword.

It's been bothering me too, but I guess Veil is using Quinn for protection with her phony cures and him being in her debt, since she despises the Widow, and Ryder is too green as a leader.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
I have no idea what's going on and I'm completely hooked. Would knowing what's going on spoil its charm? Or am I just comparing it too favorably to its lead-in for the past couple of weeks?

Stephen Lang is the best. I felt I should share that.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Jai Guru Dave posted:

I have no idea what's going on and I'm completely hooked. Would knowing what's going on spoil its charm? Or am I just comparing it too favorably to its lead-in for the past couple of weeks?

Knowing the grand game would only make your viewing all the more better.

While this season so far isn't as political as the first, the relationships are still important. Season one did a good job establishing Quinn, the Widow, his son, the Barons, Sonny, etc.

Season one is on Netflix, and it's a quick binge. Go watch it!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jai Guru Dave posted:

The whole theme of season 1 is The Chosen one is really dumb and redheads are really hot.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Jai Guru Dave posted:

Do not watch the whole first season if you value your time. So far this season has been way more focused on the core appeals of the show. The ratio of lovely GoT knock-off drama to setpiece battles in the first season is terrible.

Check out the Quinn vs. The Widow, Sunny vs. The Widow and Quinn vs. Jacobee fights though.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 5, 2017

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
Thanks everyone! Gonna elbow the kids out of the way of their Equestria Girls marathon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Easily one of the best episodes of the series last night.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's nice to know that glam rock survived the apocalypse, because I don't know what Quinn would do to himself if they lost the feathered manes and eyeliner.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
RIP Ryder. :( The shot of Quinn holding his dead body reminded me a lot of the famous painting of Ivan the Terrible holding his dead son.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
"MK if you want to survive in the dream world you need to stop fighting yourself"
*sneaks into dream world gets into fight immediately and starts getting rear end kicked*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The second season is so much better and the show has 80s movie amounts of practical effects gore.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i tried to watch this show last night and turned it off right after the first fight scene. is silly fighting the only thing people like about it? or does it have some interesting story or characters?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LentThem posted:

"MK if you want to survive in the dream world you need to stop fighting yourself"
*sneaks into dream world gets into fight immediately and starts getting rear end kicked*

he's a hilariously failed super-weapon especially the whole getting beat senseless in the dream world.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i tried to watch this show last night and turned it off right after the first fight scene. is silly fighting the only thing people like about it? or does it have some interesting story or characters?

The fights are good. A lot of the characters are charismatic and fun to watch but the story and setting is nothing to write home about. The plot moves at a really fast pace and it's basically like Banshee or Strike back without the nudity or the sex scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

The fights are good. A lot of the characters are charismatic and fun to watch but the story and setting is nothing to write home about. The plot moves at a really fast pace and it's basically like Banshee or Strike back without the nudity or the sex scenes.

Plus there are enough mortal kombat finishing moves to distract from the weaker aspects of the plot.

Also Stephen Lang is really good in it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Every word out of Quinn's scenery-filled mouth is gold. The costuming is gorgoeus.

You get to see a southern preacher have a Kung fu sword fight with a redhead ninja matriarch.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I watched the first episode of season 1. I enjoyed it

didn't care for the kid though, unfortunately

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This show owns. It's so dumb and over the top but in a completely endearing way, and I love that they are going full Mad Max with the outlands.

One consistent negative: M.K. SUUUUUUCKS. Holy god, they need to get that kid into some acting classes because I hate him so much.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This show owns my balls. I hope they can get in some other Hong Kong classical actors or even Tony Jaa would be great as a guest. Quinn's actor is completely off the rails awesome. If anyone has any hesitation with this show, don't. S1 may be a little slow but it's worth it for the last episode.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 18, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This show is maximum Hong Kong kung-fu cinema and I love it. These villains are literally Chinese bandit lords, except in the South instead.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i feel like most of the dialog was deliberately written to make the actors stumble through their lines. The only people that manage to have any flow are Quinn and Nick Frost, and i guess wheelchair guy

also holy poo poo both seasons have had so many scenes of MK slowly creeping around hunched over in a way that doesnt look stealthy at all

i really like the art direction though, they manage to make a post apocalyptic feudal period seem vibrant

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Personally I'm loving it because it knows exactly what it is, doesn't care and just goes all out doing what it does. The MK stuff is weak, but you've got to have shaolin monks in this somehow

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
I was watching the latest episode and came to the realisation that, yes, I love this garbage show (but killing off MK would be fine).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Quincyh posted:

I was watching the latest episode and came to the realisation that, yes, I love this garbage show (but killing off MK would be fine).

He's Tripitaka though, so that's never going to happen.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's Tripitaka though, so that's never going to happen.

I had a friend at work the other day talking to me about a Journey to the West remake on tv before I realised that she was talking about this show.

MK is the Monk/Xuanzang/Tripitaka
Sunny is Sun Wukong/Monkey
Beije is Zhu Bajie/Pig

Completely blew my mind.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Kill MK

KILL MK

KILL HIM

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Wondering who Sand would be. The River King? Quinn?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

Wondering who Sand would be. The River King? Quinn?

Probably not introduced yet. I thought it might've been Moon at first based on his weapon but guess not.

Also why was the smuggler guy dressed exactly like the monkey king? It can't be coincidence, but he's also obviously not the monkey.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I think they're doing the adaptation very, very loosely.

Also, I hope they end up going to some location famous in the Old West. A final season that's kung-fu badasses vs cowboys would be A+++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Kill MK

KILL MK

KILL HIM

At least I will be safe in the dream world!

*Gets beat senseless even in his dreams*

• Locked thread