Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For some reason, I decided to try Mooncrash for the first time today and holy poo poo, I wasn't expecting any of that. It's very good, albeit very different than the main game (and very difficult for me to acclimate to, since I'm a "slowly and methodically clear out an ever-expanding safe zone" kind of player).

It stresses me the hell out, TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

feelix posted:

The engineer is also key to completely trivializing the game on a second playthrough so you can have unlimited corruption resets starting on your second run.

How do you pull this off?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's also a free fan game called The Dark Mod that is literally a modernish reboot of Thief.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As weird as it sounds to recommend a roguelike, Noita hits a lot of the same themes of planning carefully and using your environment and logic to your advantage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A lot of highly regarded immersive sims have that problem. The end of these games is never as polished as the beginning.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Prey scared the poo poo out of me. Especially in Psychotronics. Part of that is I play those kinds of games extremely stealthy and never bother with any combat upgrades so if I get found I'm pretty screwed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pookah posted:

Calling back to this thread to say that I've switched to an xbox 360 because my ps3 controller is a bit fucky. Played the 360 thief all day only to have it reinforced over and over again that it is 100% dogshit.
Gave up on this horrible crime against thief games and decided to play something better.
Gonna play Deadly Premonition.

https://www.thedarkmod.com/downloads/

You're welcome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mooncrash was 100% a POC for Death Loop

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Entropic posted:

The running joke about reployers is my favorite thing in Prey.

The thing that makes it funny is it was put in to annoy the other devs and they just rolled with it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Immersive sims are 100% designed to let you take advantage of prior knowledge or just thorough exploration. Otherwise they'd have put an artificial gate in front of it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just going to say there's nothing that will completely gently caress you and you should play the game the way you want unspoiled because it's a well designed game with very little jank, unlike a lot of other famous games in the genre. The difficulty curve kind of expects you to not know what you're doing so trying to min max it, while fun for a second playthrough, isn't very challenging.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is dope.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:same:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The solution is to just stop caring about achievements and be freeeeeeee

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The creative director for Death Loop literally avoided playing Mooncrash until release. Which is insane.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Serious edit: I kinda feel like they caught lightning in a bottle with Prey. Not sure we'll ever see its like again.

That's what people said about Deus Ex. Someone will do it, it just might not be Arkane.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah it was that first video where he says he never played Mooncrash.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The part is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra-jkrurR4&t=958s

He literally did not know what Mooncrash was about when it came out and Deathloop was in production so he started playing it and immediately stopped when he realized it was a similar concept. He also said he avoided movies that were based on time loops because uh... well he doesn't say why.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't like the survival options because I think they get tedious but at the same time the game throws so many resources at you it doesn't really matter either way. At least you'll have a use for minerals I guess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Game can only be paused in offline mode.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone has an RFID wrist band. It comes up explicitly a few times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I guess the stumbling point for me then is not fully understanding the connection between the person killed by Typhon and the Phantom organism itself. Maybe that's just on me for not reading the psychoscope reports closely enough, though.

The phantoms are basically twisted reanimated corpses so they're still wearing the wrist bands (or the wrist bands are inside them I guess)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nobody is requiring you to get plat in a game.

If I ever make a videogame, I'm going to make trophies that require a nearly impossible level of effort - like literal years spent in game. And I'm going to tell people to not try to get them because they're loving stupid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was going to make a joke about a game forcing you to press a button for hours while getting no enjoyment but then I remembered The Stanley Parable did it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7GAtSIy4-w

There isn't an achievement for it, but there are achievements for other insane things like not opening the game for 5 years, playing for the entirety of a Tuesday, and one called "Unachievable" that literally requires you to edit a config file to get it. 5.3% of players have that last one because people are loving stupid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

infernal machines posted:

No, that one made you walk to the ending you wanted, didn't it?

The joke is that IW couldn't be sure what the player chose in the original, so they came up with a world where all 3 happened. IIRC, JC merged with Helios and that caused the net to go down and the Illuminati took over in the power vacuum :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

aniviron posted:

I assume that you spoilered that not because you wanted to prevent people from knowing the beginning of a 20 year old game but because you wanted to save people from having to remember that they did that.

I did it to avoid spoiling the ending of a really good game, not the beginning of a mediocre one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pookah posted:

RE: Prey - I am still in awe of how coherent the layout of the space station is.
It's a surprisingly unusual thing I find. I just played Alien: Isolation for the first time, and while the overall aesthetic is amazingly good at capturing the look and feel of the Nostromo, I never knew where the hell I was relative to anywhere else in the station. I could barely tell if I was in a new area or revisiting somewhere I'd been 5 times before.

In Prey, I can still visualize how to get from one area to another without reference to a map, (except in the extremely confusing GUTS), and it's been months since my last playthrough.

It just feels like a real place. :unsmith:

I saw a dev interview where they said there's only one part of the interior that wouldn't fit inside the exterior and they only did it because it would be impractical to do, but the rest of the station fits together correctly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As someone who grew up playing Deus Ex, I think it might be rose-tinted glasses saying it's the best game of all time if you played every game ever back to back right now. But it's deservedly a legend - for its time, it was definitely one of, if not the best. I think PC Gamer called it #2 behind Tetris. It was that important. Don't take this as saying it doesn't hold up or anything - it absolutely does, much more than most games of its era. So yeah, play the OG Deus Ex.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Having played it a lot, I actually really like liberty island. It's a good introduction to "We aren't going to hold your hand. Figure it out."

It does have a lot of empty space, but I understand why they'd want to avoid making it artificially smaller than in real life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've never heard of this game before but drat if they didn't nail the atmosphere at art style perfectly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Plan R posted:

I was burned out after playing through the base game four times. So Mooncrash is good then? Worth a reinstall?

It's a completely different kind of game using the same enemies and mechanics. And it's still somehow great.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Started that first Deus Ex game and it became impossible to put down. What a classic, sort of thing that makes you think about how old it is while playing it and how incredible it must have been at the time. I'm about to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution now, and then the next one. After doing those and Dishonored it should be interesting playing Prey again.

You can't just do that and not talk about what happened in your playthrough. What augs did you take? What secrets did you find? What ending did you choose? Did you save Paul? Details!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

The most important question is whether they saved black helicopter.

A bomb!?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

While I don't otherwise disagree, I still think it's a stretch to claim that choosing your ending in DX1 is that much more involved than pushing a button. But pretty much anything is leaps and bounds ahead of HR, I suppose.

It's well known that the last few levels of DX were rushed. The amazing thing is that instead of other games going "We should expand on this and make player-choice endings more involved and integrated" they went "People want to pick from three buttons. Let's literally give them three buttons."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Serephina posted:

The DX (lead?) dev went on record saying that they didn't want players locked out of endings due to things they did hours ago. While other titles have since embraced that limitation, it works well for DX in its own way of being open-ended and crawling through levels to see everything and then have a philosophical chat with someone about it at the end.

I appreciate it for what it was, and it also let us talk to our friends about which one they 'chose' and why. DX back in the day was mind-blowing and I'm glad we're still talking about its influences and legacies two decades later.

Oh, and I still want my Mooncrash full-sized game, you bastards!

Oh yeah, it is literally a Deus Ex Machina that you come out of nowhere and decide the fate of the world at the very end. But I mean that the level itself was pretty rushed and linear instead of being the typical big open playground. Still, for a game from the early 00's, they did an amazing job at making it feel like your decisions had real meaning, even if they mostly didn't.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phigs posted:

I feel like the solution would be better telegraphing the endings and making sure the players have what they need to make the decision before the end. Take the endings of Deus Ex, you could easily have the player choose the ending before the final mission and then tweak the final mission accordingly. The final level doesn't have anything in it that couldn't just be moved a bit before. Have everyone make their spiels about what you should do and then the one you pick to side with gets you to the base and helps you through it and the ending fires when you finish the level. Instantly better.

A lot of the problem with "locking in" endings is that players can do it without knowing what the ending is. So you get things like "do I side with X?" where players are trying to see what doing that gets them. They don't know if they want the X ending because they don't know what the X ending is but they have to choose the X ending before that knowledge and thus feel locked in. They get new information that may make them want to change, but they can't. If the question is "do I want to plunge us into a technological dark age?" then that's something the player can answer much earlier and thus not feel like they're locked in. Just gotta make sure the player has what they need to make the decision at the point of decision.

Given that this is Deus Ex, they would have needed to not lock you out of doing the "wrong" ending because you're still in the same physical location and it would have felt cheap if you couldn't betray whoever. Picking from a dropdown menu on what you want your final level to be and then it's linear to the end is strictly worse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The big difference is that as you inch towards one of the endings, you get dialogue from the characters reacting to your choices and trying to convince you. It also introduces your options one at a time instead of just laying them out like a menu. The characterization there is great and it's nothing at all like HR's ending except in the most superficial sense.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 14, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Tbh, I think we're just totally talking past each other. I'm saying that Deus Ex disguises the arbitrary nature of its ending but you're still ultimately pushing buttons to pick between A/B/C. That the buttons were in different rooms and called something different worked out, but the upsides feel like a happy accident more than anything. Like, at least in IW picking your ending involves going off and murdering the faction(s) you don't like.

Basically,

We're not talking past each other. The ending of Deus Ex isn't just pushing buttons any more than any video game is just pushing buttons. There are unique challenges that have to be overcome for each of the endings, and as you get closer to completing those challenges, the game engages you to try to change your mind (and the main villain goes from taunting you to begging you as you get closer to your goal). Would it have made you happier if there was a level transition between the ending rooms? Your reductionist argument could apply to anything - what is the point of Liberty Island when they could just have you push a button to decide whether to save Gunther and whether to shoot the terrorist leader?

I'm not saying Deus Ex didn't put enough effort in. I'm saying newer games should expand on the premise even more.

Edit: Deus Ex always presents your options upfront and center. At least the important ones. The game's thesis is that the player needs to make conscious decisions and weigh the potential outcomes of their actions. It's littered with A/B choices and the weight behind them is more moral than practical. Not giving you the option to do an ending because of some flag you set halfway through the game would undercut that.

and then the thesis of Invisible War is that in the end, those choices are all insignificant and don't matter

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 14, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I personally think it is a mistake of starting wanting to be the ghost who never kills and never gets spotted and has to quickload every 10 seconds.

This is how I played thief back as a kid and this is how I will continue to play any game that lets me do so because I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bogart posted:

I'm pretty sure being able to see behind you in real time in System Shock VR will make your head explode like that bit in Scanners.

Is this why nobody uses their goddamn rearview mirrors?