Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

I think i'm going to pick this up.

I dont usually install games on my SSD, but I seem to remember some load time complaints with this - although maybe that was just the ps4 version? I never take issue with 10-15s load times in games.
In short, is an SSD install mandatory on this one?

The load times are long but they’re not that long by modern game standards. It’s really just towards the end of the game when you’re moving between areas of the station more frequently that it becomes noticeably annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The “consequence” of going for typhon points is that the incredibly useless turrets will also shoot at you before being knocked over by a stray breeze

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It is great but the last hour or so with the operator horde is still such a lovely note to end an otherwise awesome game on

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Good quote about the state of developing games in the late twenty-teens:

quote:

I remember this funny moment where we were doing Dishonored, and I asked my lead programmer how many characters I could have in combat. And he answered something between five and six. I thought well, okay. It makes sense. The AI is what it is, and we had characters with 10,000 polys or whatever they were. Fast forward four or five years, we're doing Prey. It's a new engine, new technology, new hardware. I'm back with my lead programmer, same question. How many characters can we have? Maybe five or six. The only difference between one generation to the next was that the budget had doubled, and because the budget was doubled, it goes into more people, instead of taking three months to make a character it takes six months now, there's more optimization that is required, more of everything, every detail, making sure the eyes are perfect and the sun shines the right way.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Since the first one I've played is Prey, should I give Dishonored or any others a try?

Dishonored is to the old Thief games what Prey is to System Shock.

The game is broken up into quasi-linear levels that aren’t connected. You usually start each mission with a target that you have to locate, deal with, and then make your escape. Stealth is a major focus, as is exploring the sprawling levels.

Personally while I think Prey has better environment design, the level design of Dishonored is just masterful. You never really feel railroaded into one angle of approach, and so the exploration rewards you with both useful items as well as different paths to your target.

Story-wise, the world building is great and original, but the actual plot of the first game is so-so. The DLC improves this, and 2 has a generally more compelling narrative overall (although I find the art direction less cohesive).

My main issue with Dishonored is that the stealth gameplay is good and clearly how the game is “supposed” to be played (from a narrative standpoint) but the combat is where all the interactivity went. The sheer number of ways you can kill enemies is hilarious. There are these proximity mines that you can attach to objects, and you can, for instance:

Put down a mine and wait for enemies to pass
Put down a mine and make a noise to draw enemies toward it
Attach the mine to a bottle or other small object then throw the object at some enemies
Freeze time, walk up to some enemies and put the mine down in the middle of them
Freeze time, shoot a crossbow bolt at some enemies, attach the mine to the bolt while it’s frozen in midair, and then unfreeze time
Put the mine on a rat, possess the rat, then walk up to a group of enemies
etc.

The stealth/nonlethal options aren’t nearly as interesting or inventive, it’s mostly just figuring out how to separate groups of enemies so you can sleep dart or choke them out one by one. 2 develops on this a little bit but not enough imho.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Dishonored is nothing like Thief. Thief is a game about having very limited mobility and about gaining level knowledge and using it to your advantage. Dishonored gives you insane amounts of mobility and is goal oriented

All that mobility is optional though; the game still holds up on powerless runs because of the level design.

Sure the gameplay is goal oriented but that’s the whole difference of being an assassin/agent vs being a thief; having an immediate objective you’re working towards vs trying to make as much money as you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dramatika posted:

Is it bad that I haven’t even clicked that video but still knows it’s stealthgamerbr or whatever his name is