Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So I burned through this game real quick after finally buying it in this last Steam sale. You were all right: it's extremely good. I jumped right into Mooncrash and it's certainly interesting even if I have no idea what's going on. I like figuring it out on my own, don't tell me anything!

But regular Prey endgame questions / spoilers:

I made a save right at the main branch point at the end and ran down both paths: first activating the big nullwave and then blowing up the station. My first question: I did my best to keep everyone alive and so I knocked out the ridiculously-over-the-top bad guy and Igwe brainwiped him so he'd fly us off the station. But January told Igwe and Mikhaila to launch without me and I did my best but I feel like there's no way I could have gotten to the shuttle in 3 minutes. I even have the super fast run speed neuromod and the time ran out while I was in the elevator heading toward the lobby. Is it possible to make that? I turned around and took Alex's shuttle instead. If it is possible, does anything change?

Second (and much larger) question: was this supposed to be a simulation of something that originally happened? That is, was there a real Morgan who really did either blow up the station or fire the nullwave (or just leave, I guess)? Or is everything about Talos I just a simulation? My impression was that what Alex said at the end was that this really did happen. But if that's the case is there any indication anywhere in the game about what actually happened that first time, i.e. what did the real Morgan do?

Anyway, I actually really liked the ending, and the whole game for that matter. The highlights for me were everything having to do with Mikhaila (I played it for her) and Danielle (the entire Cook sidequest). My only criticism was that past the halfway mark there needed to be, like, a level up of the Nightmare, who would just show up and I'd obliterate immediately with brain explosions and shotgun blasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there anything different in a New Game + ? I mean, other than keeping your neuromods. Knowing that there's an actual reason for there to be a NG+ seems like they might have added a few things, but that's kind of asking a lot of the devs, I guess.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I haven't gotten around to D2 yet but D1 is really excellent and is in no way outdated or anything. You should know that it's not nearly as open as SS/Prey but you do still have a lot of options for approaching every situation.

Mooncrashchat: I'm having trouble telling what's persistent between runs. My understanding is that the world state stays the same until I reset the sim, so the idea is that I'm supposed to go through with one character and open doors and leave items and such for the next character, but I feel like there are some things that seem to stay between resets. For example, I've never had to open the first Typhon gate out of the Crater again because it no longer has power, and I'm not sure what did that or why it is stuck that way now. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just confused. Do I remember passwords between resets? i.e. now that I've unlocked Riley, do I have the password to her computer for everyone all the time?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Mooncrash: playing as Claire, trying to unlock her story objective, which requires me to get out an escape pod. But the only one left is in Moonworks behind a broken door (i.e. needs repair). Am I just out of luck here?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Never mind, there was another door. I thought there'd probably be another way in.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

About to start my first run of Prey up. Anything I should know going in that's not in the OP? Going to try to be unspoiled and not save scum. Are builds a thing in this game? I have played Dishonored 1 and Deus Ex games.

You should be fine having experience with this type of game, but just in case: you don't have to kill everything you see. Your growth in power is sort of curved while the growth of the Typhon on the station is pretty linear, which means toward the beginning of the game there's going to be more of them than you can safely handle. But around the halfway point you'll be able to do some serious damage.

Also I'll wait to hear if others agree with me, but getting the improved recycling neuromod early really, really helped me. I never had any issues with resources that I see other people having.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

pentyne posted:

It almost seems unfair because

Let me assure you that no matter which upgrade path you go down, when you get to the end of it you start saying this.

Speaking of, [postgame spoilers] do Alex and the crew say something if you do a no-neuromod run? I'm assuming they do, but I don't remember them saying anything like "boy, she sure used a lot of neuromods," just saying whether you leaned Typhon or not.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

PoultryGeist posted:

Years behind the curve here, but I just started this. Are Phantoms supposed to wreck your face early on? I've managed to kill one because it was next to an exploding canister and another because it took the time to one(?)-shot a turret, but any other just brain-blasts me into oblivion. Its not a bad thing overall, but I'd figure I'd check to see if its just me being Bad At Games or not.

You're absolutely doing the right thing: use the environment to fight them if you want to fight them. You can also hide from them and sneak around them in just about every situation. Lastly, the first ones you see are generally pretty slow and you can just run if you need to; they're all over the machine shop area, for example, but there's also a lot of walls and junk all over and they have trouble following you through it. Later on, running is much less advisable, but by then you'll have more ways to fight back.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
There is one for killing the Nightmare with it, though. Sometimes it doesn’t trigger on the first one, though, sometimes you have to do it two to five times.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just wait until you mimic a reployer

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mescal posted:

Is the other license behind an ability lock?

It's a full-on sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I really like the concept of the ending but the execution is a bit disappointing. Alex and some robots telling you the plot isn't what I would call engaging. But I do think it's pretty unfair for people to say "ugh, it's all a dream, how dumb" when so much of the game is thematically driven by the concept of power and the choices we make with it. The real Morgan was, from all the evidence you collect over the game, a terrible person, so the idea that "you" (in game, an alien intelligence, but really it's you as the player) get to reconcile with that past in an effort to develop empathy while constantly being presented with choices between using your power (and growing it) selfishly or using it to help others... that's a good concept, but it's also very video-game-y, and so I thought it was kind of refreshing for the game to say at the end "you were playing a video game." I also tend to like sci-fi that really tries to tackle the idea that any alien intelligence would just be totally outside of our frame of reference, and I think it's an interesting idea that the only way to save ourselves from that kind of intelligence is to try and figure out how to make it value human life.