Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Interview re: Weird West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LvjG6qqhM

Mentions ultima vii as a conceptual starting point. Though interestingly the game's broken up into sections, each played by a different main character, with previous characters continuing their existence in the world and being recruitable.

Reminds me a lot of Hard West:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_West

Hard West was a pretty fun (but mostly just okay) XCOM-like game that had some unique features like bullet ricochets, but also needed more work on the story and world-map sides. I can give it a lukewarm recommendation if somebody's looking for something similar while waiting on Weird West.

edit: and Deathloop looks loving awesome, I love the aesthetic.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I know the audience for this thread and the Deus Ex thread are 90% the same, but for the folks who just hang over here, I'm going to be a shithead and crosspost:

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't know if you guys have looked into it yet but Core Decay looks like it's very much our kind of poo poo:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260940/Core_Decay/

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mike the TV posted:

That being so, 2.5% of the original game playerbase unlocking all 5 characters (so getting at least halfway through the DLC) actually seems like a pretty good percentage. Especially considering that only 43% of the playerbase ever unlocked a Typhon power.

Wont lie, I loved prey enough to play through it three times--it's system shock the way dishonored is thief--but I just couldnt get into mooncrash. I couldn't tell you why. That said, I'm really looking forward to Deathloop despite mooncrash being a test for the loop idea.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
You can't go wrong with Arkane. I'm really looking forward to Deathloop. (And also the lead dev left Arkane and has a new game coming out soon with a new studio, Weird West)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

uber_stoat posted:

i now feel about as dumb as i did when i learned you could "sprint" in the zero g bits back when the game first came out.

Cracking the face shield on my first fast impact is one of the small details I love about the game.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, same here. My knee-jerk reaction was to say that it looks more like a thoughtless copy of a good game (L4D) than an evolution of (or response to) great ones (System Shock/Prey and Thief/Dishonored). But it's Arkane, who hasn't made a game that hasn't pulled me in like great old games did, so I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt. And I'm still incredibly looking forward to Deathloop.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really want to do another run but Deathloop's out on Tuesday. Prey captured my imagination and led me to poopsock the game twice back-to-back; I don't know if Deathloop will do the same, but Arkane's record is loving incredible and I don't doubt DL will be great.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

The Vile Stuff posted:

Also Arkane are one of the last great single player dev houses, so I'd be excited for what they put out anyway.

Hard agree here. When Looking Glass cratered it felt like a gut-punch to 17-year-old me, but Arkane rose up to become a great successor studio, and a me 20 years later grinned ear to ear hearing Stephen Russell voice Corvo. They can't do any wrong. (And even though Colantonio left Arkane and is developing Wild West, I don't have any doubt in either his old company or his new project.)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Arkane give us your spiritual successor to Deus Ex next

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah as "dreams/simulations" twists go, Prey certainly earned it. Especially since there's two twists: not just the "you're a typhon" but the "you're a typhon who might be the only chance to save a post-apocalyptic civilization".

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

HenryEx posted:

Wow, people really keep missing that the ending is about how you, as a player, interact with verisimilar games in general and how differently people handle suspension of disbelief

How are people so bad at this, the entire tutorial section screams the theme of the game at you

Most people don't look at the meta-aspect of gaming as a medium I'd imagine

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, Arkane's sense of environment is second to none. Dunwall and Karnaca feel like real places with layers of history. Same with Talos. Deathloop is probably their weakest in that regard, but it's still solid.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Dramatika posted:

Where was it implied that Alex is a mimic? You were in a simulation, Alex is a human, and yeah, they're just computers, that may be based on people who lived on the station. I never got the impression he was a mimic at all. The main character is the mimic.

More ending spoilers
I like how it's ambiguous if the bots are computerized versions of the old crew or if they're radio relays, did a great job working for either a save/kill playthrough

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
You got me, I'm the guy who believes in invisible pink unicorns.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The world design in Dishonored 1 and 2 (and the expansions) is best in class. The games are divided into levels and far less free-form than Talos in Prey, but the setting in Dishonored just feels real in a way that very few other games can achieve. The guy that did Half-Life 2's world design also did Dishonored, so that you have an idea.

I like walking around in Dishonored 1/2 more than Prey, but I admire Prey more just for being so perfectly self-contained. Deathloop has some great characterization and voice acting, and it's a blast to play, but it doesn't have the legs that Prey or the Dishonored series have.

Weird West is pretty fun too. Some big-name devs left Arkane and founded a new studio, and WW is their first game. It's not at all like Arkane's games, but it still has that imm-sim thing where experimenting with the in-game systems can lead to some hilariously unexpected outcomes.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
It's sequel is also very good. There's some niggling things to complain about that Square Enix did with the Deus Ex world*, but both Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are great games and worthy of the series.

*among them, shelving the loving IP before finishing out the story of the new games

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't know -- I see what you mean there, and I agree with it, but I think part of the charm of the series is that each game is almost always a product of it's time. Deus Ex was 90's conspiracy, Invisible War was early 2k nu-goober vibe, and Mankind Divided leaned super heavy into the Black Lives Matter/Aug Lives Matter zeitgeist of the late 2010's. It's right in line with the retro-futurism of other cyberpunk like Blade Runner.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
For all practical purposes, yes.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74EEXU-OEZo

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
haha yeah, that power is Domino. Domino + Far Reach with the Pull Enemies upgrade = The Juggler of Karnaca

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

KillHour posted:

The big difference is that as you inch towards one of the endings, you get dialogue from the characters reacting to your choices and trying to convince you. It also introduces your options one at a time instead of just laying them out like a menu. The characterization there is great and it's nothing at all like HR's ending except in the most superficial sense.

iirc, isn't there something similar in HR? On Panchaea you (can) talk to Sarif, Darrow, Eliza, (and I think somebody else but I can't remember his name), as you progress through the level and each of them ask you to do something different like Tong, Icarus, and Everett do in DX1. That said, I do remember there being more effort to getting between the DX1 endings instead of literally buttons in one room.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
We clown on IW a lot for some very valid reasons but it did have some pretty great moments. Omar especially. And the coffeeshop war analoging to the wto/order. or the talk with JC.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

KillHour posted:

This is how I played thief back as a kid and this is how I will continue to play any game that lets me do so because I like it

There is no :hmmyes: big enough for this

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I like some of the AC games, but they're about as far removed from the Dishonoreds as you can get.

:hmmyes:

I saw a preview for AC3 and wanted to play it but being a grognard completionsist I had to play 1 and 2. 1 was okay, 2 is actually a series of three games that really captured me with Ezio's story. 80 hours later I finally started AC3 and hated it. Havent played any AC games since. Roll on snaredrum.

The point of this pointless story though is that Dishonored is better than the AC games by a country mile. I hear Odyssey is good, but the AC formula ran out of gas very quickly for me.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Anybody try ctrl alt ego? It's supposed to be the immsimmiest immsim there is.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The System Shock remake is out, and it's pretty fantastic.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Looking Glass: :rip:

Ion Storm :rip:

Irrational Games :rip:

Arkane :rip:

:negative:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think it works either way -- if Morgan saves Talos 1, they're proxies, but if he blows it up, they're programmed assistants .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

aniviron posted:

Not totally hypothetical - Arkane had a Half Life 2 expansion in development, but it was canned. There's a mini documentary on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMygnmB9Zw8

:negative: