Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
um, yes, I will buy this, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hm, so far this game seems to be really good. Basically it's the true System Shock spiritual sequel that Bioshock pretended to be, as far as I can tell

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how do you get into the italian doctor's secret stash box? you see him put something in there on the video and you can see the box itself under the raised platform but there's no prompt or anything to open

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Popelmon posted:

I love that there is so much poo poo that you can miss if you don't pay attention. Like the combination for the first safe and Dr. Calvino's hidden safe.

how did yuo get into calvino's safe? I know the location from the video and exploring but can't open the panel its behind

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thebardyspoon posted:

I'll put this in spoilers so people who want to figure it out can, There's a thermos on a compute on the other side of the room, grab that and put it on the scale next to where the hidden safe is in the video.

Oooooh, thanks. Should have put that together. Thought the note I saw on that was referencing him trying to prove his coffee cup wasn't mimiced, not that. lol.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this game is a joy by the way. it's a bit shameless in its inspirations but I'm so happy to see a game with real complex systems again. i really hope it's a success.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also I want to give serious love to the game's setting, yes sure it's 'on a space station' but it may be the best realized space station in any game ever. Everything makes sense and has a place, the layout of the ship is fully realized and explorable, the detail of the environments themselves, etc, etc, really really well done.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Always Wrench Looking Glass

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
is the Nightmare dynamic system still in the game as per the OP? just ran into a Nightmare and it doesn't really seem like it is.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

My encounters with the nightmare so far was when I first went to the bridge and noped the gently caress outta there when I saw him - he was just chilling there when I loaded in though and hadn't noticed me. The second encounter was when I went to the crew quarters and he was chilling out there too, decided he needed to die, so I got killed like 20 times before I finally managed to down him.

I found him in the same place you did initially and killed him there. hes really not that hard if you use the combat slowdown and shotgun him close up. Nemesis this guy is not.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Are the tape computers just an aesthetic choice? A bit of retro futurism? It could've been somewhat more reflected in the in-world UI design. I'm guessing the lack of miniaturization is explained somewhere?

it's part of the environmental design, it's a retrofitted 70s satellite. probably cant introduce a bunch of 2 ton tape decks into near earth orbit and it'd be too expensive to send down to earth.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm guessing the secret ending path will be avoiding killing any phantom or mimic that is possessing a human. only thing I can think of anyway.

oh also regarding the earlier nightmare chat I ran into him on the bridge (and killed him) and then later in the fabrication lab got the message from January about how it was attracted to my neuromods or whatever so I just hid under a desk for 2 mins and never saw it. so it doesn't seem to be dynamic as it's the same two spots the other poster saw him in. I do like his movement though, the bit where he crawls under the tunnel leading from the bridge to get at you was great

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Quinton posted:

I was amused by the lab where there's a post-it on everything in the lab that reads "NOT A MIMIC".

I'm stuck in the Morgue though:
I've been waiting about 15 minutes for a Science Operator to turn up to tail into the Morgue, which supposedly happens on the half-hour, but it's now 05:03 in game time and still no sign of the critter... am I missing something here?

There is another way in, but I'm trying to avoid the action that enables that way...

I couldn't get that dude to work, but you can break the glass and use a nerf dart.

what's the action and what's the other way?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rookersh posted:

You can eat them through recycle grenades. It's really finicky though.

I've yet to find one without a second entrance however.

I'm also pretty sure due to the wording of the powers screen that you can take 1-2 powers up just a little before you become infected. "Little to no Typhon detected" and all that implies you can have a little. I'm going pure so far just because none of the Typhon powers seem all that great/I want to see what the pure endings are. Especially because NG+ lets you just keep going, so it seems like it'd be smart to do a pure game first, then a Typhon game second as you 100% the upgrade stuff and become super Morgan.

I have three powers (first level mimic, two levels kinetic explosion) and turrets just started shooting at me. Could be the 3 total or it could be that I went to a second level in the upgrade tree.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

. There is of course the 'mimic small object, move thru bars path' as well, at least I think that would work there. I didn't invest in any Typhon powers for my first playthru.

I don't think so, if I recall correctly they are windows too high to jump through through as a mug or whatever.

what are peoples strats for dealing with voltaic phantoms. EMP grenades sort of work but are really inconsistent, and they take a ton of ammo from range. Obviously getting anywhere near them kills you very quickly. I'm thinking about getting the electrostatic resist traits just for these guys

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this thread really needs a title change to reflect how loving amazing this game is

edit: for a suggestion, Prey - best game ever.. or is it a mimic

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 7, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Igthorn posted:

It's Metroid when Metroid was good but scanning every god drat thing has been replaced by collecting every god drat thing

but man gotta have those cubes man, feels so good makin cubes... need more cubes

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I posted earlier that they started shooting at me at three, the last of which was a second tier in a power. so its either three or going above tier one. so no good for you.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well shoot, it took longer than it usually does in this kind of game but I upgraded my security weapon damage and gunsmith II and got the shotgun to max damage and now I broke the difficulty. Nightmares go down in 10 hits.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hahah, theres a quest line that leads directly to a game over. this game is great.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 7, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

So here's a question. Are there any static doors in this game? I'm trying to think of one, but am drawing a blank. I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are if you encounter a door, there is some way to reach the room on the other side.

like I said earlier this might be the best realized environment in any game ever. the *only* thing I can spot that doesn't make logical real life sense is that there aren't nearly enough beds for everyone. or escape pods, lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bleusilences posted:

There is a shitload of bed in the neuromod sector...

in the volunteer quarters? would think those would just be for, well the volunteers. or am I forgetting some

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rookersh posted:

Oh man, I've been thinking on that early Psiontronics log, and I'm pretty sure I know the twist.

Morgan wanted to test if Typhon could learn to be human/empathize through neuromods. Alex constantly talks about how amazing Typhon are, but then talks about empathy. January keeps saying over and over again that "You could do this, but then you wouldn't be human anymore/Hey. At least you aren't an alien eh?".

Also even thinking back stuff didn't add up. Why add a decontamination chamber to a simulation room? There are no Typhon in the area, its not Psiontronics! Nowhere else in Talos has that kind of security.

It would also make the survivor stuff tie in perfectly. Why would saving joe schmoe that rando help Morgan at the ending/change the ending at all. But if this whole thing was a test, then it's a great way to show the Typhon can develop empathy and want to help others.

I just made a lot of assumptions off a single audio log with no other info, but it adds up! I'm not crazy!!! I swear!!! HOW DEEP DOES THE CONSPIRACY GO.

hm, that would actually tie in with the game over/alternate ending dialogue when you escape in alex's pod. "alex: you... you're just going to give up, just going to leave? / alex (VO): looks like this wasn't the one paraphrased obviously. I could see it being something along these lines.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

Is this game scary?

about as scary as Bioshock except with no straight up horror level (so far) like those games tend to have (the sander cohen one, etc)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

n4 posted:

Are GamerGate-types upset about the lesbian relationship featured in the main storyline?

cho is a badass btw, really enjoying her character

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lakbay posted:

Minerals are rarer than Exotic materials

makes sense theres alien motherfuckers everywhere on this god damned space station!!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
0451 goes all the way back to at least system shock 1, its a ray bradbury reference (obviously)

also I will not be surprised to see this game get lots of 7/10. Game reviewers are idiots and there's not many big set pieces or a single QTE to be found. Maybe we'll get another game like this in another 18 years.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

n4 posted:

I love the audiolog of the D&D game where the guy interjects his name is STABFELLOW.

Also love that option to push the fat guy on the question that doesn't mention a fat guy.

CAPTAIN stabfellow

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I went right to the arboretum instead of left (or up down since its zero g!) to the cargo bay through guts, will the plot take me back there at some point?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

I wonder if the secret ending is "beat the game without attacking or killing anything".

For those who have finished it, does it seem like pacifist run would be even remotely possible on, say, the easiest difficulty? Or are there forced fights that have absolutely no way to bypass them?

I havent gotten to the end of the game and any reveals but guessing at the hints maybe the secret ending is if you just keep trying to escape in alex's pod. how many morgan copies can there be?

Would certainly meet the qualification of 'subversive'

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 9, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That's strange though, I'll take it. I kept finding recycler bombs attached to doors. I wonder if taking him out as soon as you see him prevents that.

it does, I pieced together that he was evil real fast and knocked him out when I first met him. when I met danielle and she tells you about what he did I just ran back and bashed him with a wrench. never saw a single recycler door trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i loved how the eels were both a dishonoured nod and actual lore