Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Antigravitas posted:

I can't recall any other game that pulled an "It was all a dream" that I wasn't mad about. That one surprised me the most – not the ending itself, but that I didn't flip my keyboard.
For a while, this was my least favorite type of ending of any videogame. I went through a streak where multiple games ended with this resolution and hated it. I already know I'm playing a video game, if your ending was "BUT IT WAS A VIDEO GAME!!" then gently caress you. I was slightly spoiled that the Prey ending would be something like that, but actually don't mind it here. One big difference is the events of the game really did (mostly) happen, so it's not like everything you're doing is just the dying wishes of a digital whale or whatever the gently caress. The game would still end fine without it, though it does drive home that if you thought the Typhon could be defeated by something as simple as a large explosion, you wrong.

Yarrington posted:

Second, blowing up the station REALLY OBVIOUSLY wouldn't work as presented in game so its frustrating that the characters would all treat it as a fait accompli.
Blowing up the station seems plausible until that last bit where a station-swallowing typhon dragon zooms in from deep space. If they've got one of those around, I don't know how they'd expect anything other than an extremely strong anti-typhon weapon to do the job.

moot the hopple posted:

You all probably know this, but unlocking the Engineer was a major turnaround moment, to the point where I almost wish I hadn't settled on her as my go-to character early on. She's just so drat efficient with her skillset. Most runs was just running around and clearing the whole crater with her alone, then churning out more neuromods and delay times than I really needed, and then switching to the other characters to do their story missions. I also tried playing at higher corruption levels and with the other maxed out characters but the challenge was gone after optimizing with Joan.

I found the Delay Loop.Time blueprint pretty early, and that plus Joan's big inventory and recycler benefits trivialize the game as everyone says. Midway through my second or third sim reset and I still have 4/5 story objectives to do but have a pretty good idea how the rest of the game is going to go.

I'd be further along but I absolutely beefed it in the crater as my first run of the security officer, which locked me out of doing his Story Objective on the second sim reset and thereby unlocking the rest of the stuff.

Are the enemies in Mooncrash easier than the enemies in the main game? I went through most of the campaign thinking Phantoms were spooky bullet sponges, but in Mooncrash if I spawn with a pistol and a bunch of rounds and I can take them down in like four extremely fast hits. I dunno if the health values are actually different (particularly at corruption 1) or if I just got that game-beating confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Samopsa posted:

- Whew, this game does not handle multiple speaking npc's in a room well. They keep talking over each other, and the volume is wack. Kinda a bummer, although most don't have much of interest to say. Danielle & the Cook were much more interesting.
If the cargo bay scene was all I had to go off I would think Prey was a very buggy game indeed. Aside from that the biggest bug I had was that every time I reloaded the game it proudly announced I had completed the quest "The Corpse Vanishes"

Samopsa posted:

- Entering Deep Storage, and instantly locking the door behind me? Not cool. Of course, this game has been pretty linear up to this point so it doesn't change -that- much, up till now there hasn't been much reason to actually travel somewhere else for non-story related reasons, except to get the true nanomod fabrication plans.
This is maybe my biggest gripe with the campaign: once you enter Deep Storage, you're locked in through that map, then Life Support and Power.

That was probably the point where I had the maximum amount of side objectives activated: having to wait until the station was unlocked again meant the last stretch of the game was a fetch quest palooza.

I like having the extra objectives, but many of them didn't really pay off and you're unable to complete them for a hearty chunk of the game. If they kept the station a little more open you could drift more organically between finishing the story and cleaning up tough enemies in old areas or doing side objectives.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Finished Mooncrash. I only died three or less times in total but was playing quite cautiously.

I ended up playing an hour or two more than I needed because I got my brain mixed up and thought there was an achievement for finding every crew member on the station in Mooncrash. (I already got the cheevo for doing that in the main game). But at least I got to see every nook and cranny of the station.

I'm kinda glad Prey has so many difficult achievements, because I know I will never ever do a "no needles" or "typhon only" run, so I don't have to worry about grinding out the "Galaxy Brain" trophy (every neuromod in Mooncrash) for the dubious honor of getting 100% of the achievements.

Some other scattered observations:
  • Why is the interface for the fabricator seemingly in a random order? It made me feel like an idiot scrolling back and forth looking for the special medicine that makes your bones stop crackling.
  • You can easily pull everything out of the operator companion but there's no "send all" button.
  • I wish that on PC there weren't so many things of the interface differentiated by "press F" vs "hold F".
  • What was the point of no-oxygen sections? Does it only become a problem if your suit loses all its integrity? I always had a huge surplus of suit repair kits.
  • Engineer's turret is a very cathartic weapon against cystoid nests.
  • Custodian was a real letdown. All the other characters have some kind of game-breaking advantage, but her focus is... stealth? The last thing I wanted to do after 10 spawns is go through the game even more slowly and methodically. She starts with a lightsaber but it's not even as good as the one any character can pick up in the labs?
The only big downside from these type of games is the nihilistic/bummer nature to the plotline. Is it possible to make a happy immersive sim? Where you sneak up and incapacitate a wide variety of enemies for a positive purpose like to plan their surprise party?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Having now played and beaten SS2 this game is nothing like System shock 2, I don't see the comparison at all except the aliens on a space craft
If that's your experience so be it, but I think the two games where you systematically scrounge a space station for audio logs and garbage so you can upgrade your wrench to hit aliens are pretty similar.

Maybe they're different in that there weren't TVs flicking on all the time with a mean robot lady, but otherwise they're about as similar as games released 18 years apart can get.

Or: just asking: did you play Prey (2006)?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Pamela Springstein posted:

I knew about the ending twist ahead of time and it still snuck up and disappointed me. woof.
I mostly deduced the ending from the way people talked about it and I think that immunized me against it for a little bit.

For a while there way too many games had an ending where it was all a dream / it was all a simulation and I would love for no piece of media to ever do that again. I was so grateful The Forgotten City didn't end that way because it would have been a natural fit.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Phigs posted:

So it could read "Complete the game at least once, then complete a playthrough without any typhon mods."

I know it's a meta system not strictly part of the game, but achievements do influence player behavior so developers should put more thought into how their achievements are sculpting play.
I honestly like that a lot

irrespective of the hemming/hawing of the "achievements don't matter you idiots" crowd, I've definitely let achievements change my behavior in certain situations and it would be nice for the devs to keep them out of the way in some situations

I know I don't want to do a Typhon Only / Human Only run in Prey but the fact that there are achievements makes me have to think about whether I want to.

I actually feel relief in games where I know I will never get all the achievements because there's some dumbass "place 3rd in multiplayer 15 times in a row" attainable by no one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Phigs posted:

I found the ending very unsatisfying, it drained all the enthusiasm I had left after the slog of the endgame and lessened my overall opinion of the game.
I might have felt like that if I played at launch, but by the time I played I knew that the ending was something that drains one's enthusiasm for the game so I was suitably inoculated

Phigs posted:

I think games should be a lot more conservative with their endings in general. If I'm finishing your game I probably like it and all you have to do is not mess that up.
looking at you Mass Effect 3