Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Everyone hates tipping. Well, except for people non-skilled workers who are scammed by their employers. It's time to put an end to this practice. It only started because during the great depression employers had no money to pay their workers and said, just take tips.

And look what that has resulted in? A hosed up tipping culture where a bartender expects a dollar for taking the bottle cap off a beer. We shouldn't stand for this any more. There is no way employers are actually going to give a fair wage to non-skilled workers unless they are forced to do so. And these are non-skilled workers. That's why they are carrying plates of pancakes around in the mornings.

The majority of the planet doesn't tip. Why? Because it's stupid as gently caress and makes everyone unhappy.

Do you rely on tips to make a living? Then go to school and get a loving job, deadbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I liekd in Archer when they madethe joke about just the tip and it was about his penis but then he made it again atthe restaraunt about the tip for the bill (:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i like to leave waitress a chick tract folded over, with the image of a $20 bill on one side

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I just leave a tip because I'm not a brokebrained idiot like the OP

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Here's a tip: Don't be a big jerk like the OP

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OP, you can't stop me tippin' because im STILL TIPPIN' Mike Jones Feat. Slim Thug & Paul Wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYTBsN-KeNE

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Ah, a tipping thread? These always end well.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do you happen to be of African-american decent OP? I was just curious.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The only people who like tipping as a system are the restaurant employers who don't need to pay their staff a reasonable wage and rear end in a top hat customer​s who power-trip over their ability to assume control of someone else's income.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

http://www.datpiff.com/Lil-Uzi-Vert-Luv-Is-Rage-15-EP-mixtape.831357.html

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I shouldn't have to tip, but I'm not going to gently caress over the innocent employee who has no power to negotiate their wages. The answer is to take the restaurant owners out in the street and publicly execute them with a bullet to the brain. Do this once a day, every day, until things improve.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thunderdome of semifunctional computer aspies: "Interactions with a human being that are not pre-scripted and involve a tiny amount of social IQ? Nay! I say. Naaayyyyyyy!"

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How about you aren't entitled to poo poo, grow the gently caress up, and do your loving job or live in the street and starve

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

The only people who like tipping as a system are the restaurant employers who don't need to pay their staff a reasonable wage and rear end in a top hat customer​s who power-trip over their ability to assume control of someone else's income.

i thought that was the point of going out to eat? you get to be treated like an emperor for a short period of time, and pay the people who do it for the privilege. if i dont get to feel better about my position in life than the person serving me then whats the point of even going? I can cook food at home

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Cheeto posted:

Also everyone that works in tipped environment since it turns out you make a lot more money when every dollar that comes into your hands doesn't first pass through your boss, with your boss deciding how much of it he wants to keep, and in addition all of the people that understand this and don't want to subsidize a useless admin component to the person bringing them eggs.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

R-Type posted:

How about you aren't entitled to poo poo, grow the gently caress up, and do your loving job or live in the street and starve

Hello I'm a computer programmer, first on the chopping block when it comes to white collar automation when it gets going for real here in five or so years, also a dyed in the wool opponent to labor organization. Let me tell you about my intrinsic worth to the market.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 27, 2017

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

A hosed up tipping culture where a bartender expects a dollar for taking the bottle cap off a beer.
dont go to bars, never get pizza delivered, never go to restaurants with overpriced food (go to local diners) unless its a date (so never)

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

Here's a tip: Don't be a big jerk like the OP

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Alright this is finally the tipping thread that will do it. We've made it guys

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Hello I'm a computer programmer, first on the chopping block when it comes to white collar automation when it gets going for real here in five or so years, dyed in the will opponent to labor organization. Let me tell you about my intrinsic worth to the market.
lol at trying to predict when something as versatile and vague as computer programmer will be phased out
low-level supervisors/sub managers are a herd thats gonna be thinned though. 4 of you on shift at once to sit in the same office and tick check boxes when workers tell you they did something? no

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I agree about tipping being a dumb way to justify paying people unfair wages but lmao at people who have never worked food service and think it is a cakewalk job.

Most of you computer engineers would break the gently caress down after a week I bet.

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

i thought that was the point of going out to eat? you get to be treated like an emperor for a short period of time, and pay the people who do it for the privilege. if i dont get to feel better about my position in life than the person serving me then whats the point of even going? I can cook food at home

This is what it's about. Tipping is power, baby. A power that I cherish. A worker will try harder for the chance to make a few extra bucks off a table and I get to look them in the eye as I stiff them for their trouble exercising my troll power and teaching them a valuable lesson about capitalism and the importance of unionization

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I agree about tipping being a dumb way to justify paying people unfair wages but lmao at people who have never worked food service and think it is a cakewalk job.

Most of you computer engineers would break the gently caress down after a week I bet.

Pssh I can cook at home pssh

Brb 18 people just walked into my house and they all want different kinds of food and if they don't get it in 20 minutes a fat depressive piece of poo poo is going to come into my house and scream at me

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Are there bartenders and waitresses that work in crazy rich places making 250k a year in tips somewhere?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Tipping to make up for being underpaid is dumb but even if they started paying waiters fairly you'd still have to be a dick to never tip. Even in cultures that people claim "never tip", you see natives and tourists alike tipping regularly, just not as much and not in every situation you would in the US. I don't care what country you're in, the taxi driver is probably going to think you're a dick if you don't tip even just a little bit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Are there bartenders and waitresses that work in crazy rich places making 250k a year in tips somewhere?

I know a few girls still who tend bar in Vegas and if they leave with less than 700 on a weekend night they think it was a lovely night. They are not good at saving though and spend their money like it's nothing, also they generally don't put in five days a week especially since the week days are so much worse as far as income goes usually. Those are the 1%ers of the bar world though. Your average bartender in the US is a guy in his low 30s who goes home with 80 bucks most nights and is going to be fired in a couple of years to make room for someone the owner wants to gently caress.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Being a waiter is one of the easiest jobs on the planet. The ratio of pay/effort/intelligence etc is insanely lopsided and the waiter is scamming you.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If restauraunts were forced to pay servers a higher wage the food at the restaurant would cost more so its a stupid loving complaint that tips make your food cost more. What it does do is incentivize servers to actually do a good job for a better tip. Tip your servers, tip your bartender, tip the cleaning ladies at hotels, don"t be a poo poo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Being a waiter is one of the easiest jobs on the planet. The ratio of pay/effort/intelligence etc is insanely lopsided and the waiter is scamming you.

you just threw whole fishing pole and tackle box right in the lake

e: that doesn't mean at least 5 people aren't going to fall for it anyway.

ShotgunMessiah
Apr 26, 2005

Tipping is part of the American restaurant/bar experience. It's like buying those dumb ears at Disney. If you didn't have to do it, the experience wouldn't be as special. Or something.

Todd Forklift
Dec 19, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Food service, along with pretty much any unskilled physical labor, is much more stressful than engineering. Even within food service though there's the contradiction of back of house (kitchen work) being dramatically more stressful than front of house (serving), while having a de facto ~$5-15 lower wage.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

lol at trying to predict when something as versatile and vague as computer programmer will be phased out
low-level supervisors/sub managers are a herd thats gonna be thinned though. 4 of you on shift at once to sit in the same office and tick check boxes when workers tell you they did something? no

Lol at programming for money but being so ignorant of the employment situation it involves that you don't see that every big gun in intellectual automation is aimed directly at you.

Who designed and wrote the keystone language​ Google translate uses as the intermediary between any two languages you ask it to translate between again? Or more importantly who decided that was the implemention to go with?

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
America #1

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
Alrighty Mr. Pink

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

TrustmeImLegit posted:

*nods*
in an expensive restaurant they will literally complain about their $300 day (because of 1 table that didnt tip a full 20%) to their coworker who worked the same 6 hours working tirelessly for minimum wage
waiting tables is overpaid idiot work and people who work their acquire a scammer mentality if they didnt already have one

its a good job for getting out of a rut and making some money on the path to something else but if someone decides to make it their permanent career they should pretty much be looked down on as a leech

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

big nipples big life posted:

you just threw whole fishing pole and tackle box right in the lake

e: that doesn't mean at least 5 people aren't going to fall for it anyway.

Name one thing difficult enough about being a waiter that's worth 25 bucks an hour.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I always tip 20% unless something egregious happened.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Name one thing difficult enough about being a waiter that's worth 25 bucks an hour.

Dealing with loving morons

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Hats posted:

If restauraunts were forced to pay servers a higher wage the food at the restaurant would cost more so its a stupid loving complaint that tips make your food cost more. What it does do is incentivize servers to actually do a good job for a better tip. Tip your servers, tip your bartender, tip the cleaning ladies at hotels, don"t be a poo poo.

Why should I have to pay 20% more for food if I feel like it when you could just increase the prices by 20% and force everyone to pay it?

People foam at the mouth about how if you can't afford tips, you can't afford to eat - but the obvious answer gets even more foam at the mouth. I don't get it.

I've lived in a lot of countries. Tipping doesn't affect customer service. In fact, Japan, with no tips, is significantly better in customer service.

If tips affected customer service, why don't people tip surgeons or policemen?

If you are really obsessed with some power play thing or whatever, then look at Germany. You can pay tips if you want to, but they'll live without it.

There's some assumption that anti-tippers don't want to pay, but it's exactly the opposite. We want these people to actually get paid, not be at the mercy of fickle customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Todd Forklift posted:

Food service, along with pretty much any unskilled physical labor, is much more stressful than engineering. Even within food service though there's the contradiction of back of house (kitchen work) being dramatically more stressful than front of house (serving), while having a de facto ~$5-15 lower wage.

If I gently caress up, people can literally die. If a waiter fucks up, Table 7 might be mad they didn't get their ketchup in a timely fashion. Its not more stressful and you sound stupid to anyone with an actual job.

• Locked thread