Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It's a symbolic :rip: because there's like 200 goons in line in front of them. Also because ejection tends to gently caress you up anyway. Join the drone corps today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Of course a Red Bull would take out a Vitamin Water.

Edit: I was on the list twice at one point as my username and as Vitamin Water. I appreciated the extra hours but narc'd on the roster mistake.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Does the soap apocalypse means any goons who get caught in it get the most feared thing - a bath? Will anyoe recognize them if they come in sparkling clean and sudsy and return to base?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd be more worried about inhaling caustic lye.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's from a luxury car wash. I doubt they use anything harsher than angel farts for fear of loving up someone's clear coat.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So are we still getting paid for all of our wanton death and destruction, or is it just the accountants taking care of all the numbers stuff now?

5-1 aircraft exchanges have to be pretty good for business.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Only 9 tanks seems like a small haul. I mean, tanks usually come by the tens or the hundreds, even if you're a poor.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

sparkmaster posted:

So are we still getting paid for all of our wanton death and destruction, or is it just the accountants taking care of all the numbers stuff now?

5-1 aircraft exchanges have to be pretty good for business.

Yes! We're paid, but it became difficult for our accountant team to differentiate retainers, destructo-bux, losses, gains, write-offs, alcohol, graft, goat BBQ's, and of course rent. As such our employers pay the fees into a Cayman Island account that is routed to Suisse Bank before finally being spread into a dozen countries that lack extradition treaties. You know, in case this whole mercenary thing doesn't work out we still have a golden parachute. Lol, literally.

Dance Officer posted:

Only 9 tanks seems like a small haul. I mean, tanks usually come by the tens or the hundreds, even if you're a poor.

There's more. Lots more. Arsenal AD is working with the Hosaka recovery team but these tanks seem to be missing something. More to come later!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Yooper posted:

Yes! We're paid, but it became difficult for our accountant team to differentiate retainers, destructo-bux, losses, gains, write-offs, alcohol, graft, goat BBQ's, and of course rent. As such our employers pay the fees into a Cayman Island account that is routed to Suisse Bank before finally being spread into a dozen countries that lack extradition treaties. You know, in case this whole mercenary thing doesn't work out we still have a golden parachute. Lol, literally.

There's more. Lots more. Arsenal AD is working with the Hosaka recovery team but these tanks seem to be missing something. More to come later!

Are...are they drone tanks? If so where can we buy some.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A World of Tanks clan is probably cheaper to hire than properly trained crews.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

paragon1 posted:

This would have been the plot of the next MGS Kojima would have made

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

paragon1 posted:

koolkevz666 posted:

You guys have no idea how close this is to what's happening...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It'd have to be players from the Russian server, the Chinese players are too "pay to win" to tolerate losing a tank without firing a shot

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh hell yes, finally a combined arms tanks game. Pity I can't unlock the hyper-realism mode, they only let the top players do it. It sucks how they just randomly schedule the events, and why do they keep running balkans maps. I know it's topical, but they could use more variety.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Dr. Snark posted:

Our guys are fine - they ejected. Granted, the Soapocalpyse may have done them in, soooo...
Technically they took an AIM-9L directly to the cockpit and then ejected, so I'm not sure how fine they are. Luckily their wounds have probably been scrubbed and flushed by the car wash storage explosion and then I'm sure elements of DT5 will have braved the bubbles to return them to us.

They'll probably have a couple of months in sickbay before they stop smelling like new cars though.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

power crystals posted:

Who the hell sells us these Brimstones? Are we sure we don't buy them from a joke and gag gift store by accident? Are they like, doing whatever their version of maddog is and selecting a different target after launch? e: Oh these are radar seekers so I guess it just would be maddog straight up. Still.

It looks like those SAMs were parked under the bridge or something, causing the Brimstones to hit the brige instead, and then the GBUs just nuked it all.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Brimstones are 100% comedy. The bridge was part of a valid mission objective but since we damaged it enough the hostile trigger never fired. I try not to litter the target areas with extraneous stuff but I might have to seeing how the Brimstones lock the first thing they see.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

koolkevz666 posted:

So we're now reenacting Ace Combat 7

but with tanks

this seems legit

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Magni posted:

It looks like those SAMs were parked under the bridge or something, causing the Brimstones to hit the brige instead, and then the GBUs just nuked it all.

"gently caress it. We'll just use bigger bombs."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If those really are drone tanks, then when the jammers switch on ROMARM is going to learn why you don't use drones as your ground force.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

As the sun rises into the sky the sound of retreating diesels marks the day. ROMARM advance skulks back under the cover of the SA-11's on the shores of the Danube.

:wave: Great Update as always, Yooper!

Liking how we're on a much shorter cycle of mission planning and OPS execution.

koolkevz666 posted:

Yooper posted:

Did I miss something? How did we make the supposition that these are drone tanks?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

So we're now reenacting Ace Combat 7

but with tanks

this seems legit

We have better branding.

Sponsored by Bud Light, official beer of tanker crews everywhere.

CourValant posted:

:wave: Great Update as always, Yooper!

Liking how we're on a much shorter cycle of mission planning and OPS execution.

Did I miss something? How did we make the supposition that these are drone tanks?

He said the tanks seem to be missing something, goons joked about drone tanks and hiring pro-gamers to drive them, and then Yooper came back.

Yooper posted:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Warmachine posted:

He said the tanks seem to be missing something, goons joked about drone tanks and hiring pro-gamers to drive them, and then Yooper came back.

Yeah, I read that; its just guessing they're missing a 'crew' seems an oddly specific guess.

Maybe the Goon Hive-Mind is just that good.

I mean, I would have guessed they're missing ammo, gas, tiny umbrellas to put in their drinks . . .

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
drone tanks in a very hostile air environment make a great deal of sense

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Dance with the Angels PMC

After taking a joke one step too far on his favourite gaming forum, a rich american senator's son set out into the world to build his own "Ace" squadron and show everyone he was a force to be reckoned with. Heading to Russia he used his and his father's vast amount of wealth to buy a number of Russian planes that suited his needs as well as hiring a number of ex-russian air force pilots to fly them. Unfortunately his decision to have all the planes painted over with Idolmaster skins turned almost all of the highly qualified pilots away in disgust leaving him with only the average and desperate. Still it was enough and now the Dance with the Angels PMC takes the sky for any client, anywhere in the world if you can afford them and handle the embarrassment.

Force composition:

1 x Su-35S Flanker E (Squadron leader only)

MiG-31 Foxhound Fighters

Su-25SM3 Frogfoot A Attack Planes

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arsenal AD teams are working with the Hosaka reps to get an idea of what exactly is going on. From the outside these look to be buttoned up Olifant tanks. Nothing out of the ordinary. It was a RABA Scientist that pointed out the extra antenna's that brought in Hosaka.

Maria Kovacs came in with her crew to assist in the evaluation. The Hosaka guys needed to get close to a tank before it burned up. Anytime the Bulgarians had knocked one out the tanks self inferno'd with WP cartridges. Not ideal for data recovery.

Once we knocked out the tanks the idea was that our blast would be massive enough to disrupt any WP charges. Two of the three Olifants went up like a pyrotechnic mistake. The third though just smoldered. The Hosaka team rushed in and was promptly mortared. The tank was empty except for servos and computing modules. Not a human in sight.

Luckily the remainder of our strike (bubbles) halted the barrage and the Hosaka team limped back with what they could.

This is where it starts to get weird.

Parallel to this a team of reporters from Bellingcat was investigating a Romanian game design firm (WhokaDonk!) for knocking off Fortnite-World of Tanks-Combined Arms-DCS and Tetris. All the while marketing this software as the greatest new hit. Bellingcat came in after following the money from Russia and China. 1/3 of the code is in Romanian, 1/3 in Russian, and 1/3 as Chinese. Where it led was right to ROMARM. Who, through one way or another, actually owns said game design studio.

And this is where it got weird. Bellingcat posted the info and one of the recovering Hosaka techs got a hunch. Hosaka and RABA checked the mostly burnt modules and discovered an encrypted 5G antenna. Which led to a data sniff of the Olifant units which led to civilian wifi and 5G traffic. All of the Huawei 5G sites are mainlined in to the WhokaDonk servers. DT5 managed to penetrate the server farm and got us a snapshot.

Tens of thousands of people play through a series of maps. These maps are overlaid snapshots from the actual Olifants on the field. The latency on a tank can be slow where it would crash a jet, the opposite of the ground-drone paradox. Then the algorithm sniffs out all the strategies, aim points, movements, and averages them into a set of commands sent directly to the Olifants. The tanks aren't controlled by 1 person, or 1 ai, but hundreds or thousands of individuals. Hundreds of people who never tire, who are driven to succeed, and who have no idea what they are doing.

The news broke and the servers exploded with new players. Bellingcat hoped to see them shutdown, instead they are flush with new players (digital tank crews?) and another god awful mess. The ethics folks are going bonkers, machines fighting machines.

Hired Goons Intelligence is still digesting this information. But at the moment the only way to kill the data stream is to knock out the civilian internet infrastructure which creates all sorts of issues. The Facebook blimps are still orbiting as well, all flush with Huawei 5G antennas. Even if we knock out the civilian fiber network the blimps still are beaming in info from the FacebookSatNet. The UNSC is not sure what to make of all this and seems ambivalent given the recent fury.

I'm not sure I've presented you folks with many answers, just more questions.

1. Continue to pursue the armor past Rebarkovo.
2. Go after a civilian internet near Varna.
3. Strike the air base at Gorna.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So we're in Ender's Game?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
2. Knock out the internet even if the blimps can beam some of the signals out afterwards it would be a big restriction on their capability and we can always go after the blimps later, plus if this disables some of the tanks without destroying we could try and capture them and make our own.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 2, 2019

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
the goon solution is probably to feed them bad data until the system learns all sorts of useless habits, just like has been done with every other publicly accessible machine learning system to date

As for the choices...
Civilian Internet won't do anything unless the Facebook-China thing gets shut down. Facebook is one of those A-tier corps and will have an airforce that clowns us so idk if that's possible.

We need to do SEAD to pursue the tanks past Rebarkovo, but it can be done.

I think going for the Varna AB is the best of a bad set of options, but won't be an easy mission.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

if we kill the internet, how are we supposed to shitpost create crowdsourced operational plans?
Pursue the armor past Rebarkovo - press the attack!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

1/3 of the code is in Romanian, 1/3 in Russian, and 1/3 as Chinese.

No eff'ing way this code even remotely works. :colbert:

Vote: 3. Strike the air base at Gorna.

Let's give the UNSC and all the other 'Big Boys' time to mull this over while we take out the airfield.

No sense in feeding more data into that 'grinder' just so they can improve their 'algorithms'.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
airfield

Also, we could try to get robo-tanks discredited, force them to go after the wrong target somehow.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TheDemon posted:

the goon solution is probably to feed them bad data until the system learns all sorts of useless habits, just like has been done with every other publicly accessible machine learning system to date

Yeah, flood the servers with your own bots that do nothing but friendly fire and drive backwards into the enemy. Seriously, Arsenal AD are the software guys, they should be able to attack this easily.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 2, 2019

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Strike the airfield

More precisely, ignore the airfield. Strike the aircrews.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

Strike the airfield

More precisely, ignore the airfield. Strike the aircrews.

This is where I'm at. Chasing tanks that don't have morale to break sounds dumb, and going after the internet driving the tanks when we don't know exactly how much internet we can get away with wrecking is also dumb. My only question about the airfield is if we have the right ordinance and airframes to perform the necessary SEAD to get in and also wreck the runway. Killing pilots and wrecking airframes is good, but if for whatever reason we can't fully wreck the base, we need to at least be able to gently caress up the runway to make the trip worth it and deny ROMARM an airfield.

So, ultimately, airfield.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
More tankbotthought Finding a way to spam the game players screens with adware while they're mid-battle could be an effective way to stop an advance and discredit the game.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Is there any way we could get our hands on some of these; https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/blu-114.htm ?

Dusting the tanks with these might short out their antennas or degrade the signal enough to reduce their effectiveness.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

LostCosmonaut posted:

Is there any way we could get our hands on some of these; https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/blu-114.htm ?

Dusting the tanks with these might short out their antennas or degrade the signal enough to reduce their effectiveness.

That's one of the coolest payloads I've ever seen, but from what I understand from reading it it'll only work if it hits live wire. As in, it won't really affect a tank antennae and even if it did we'd be better off dropping a more explosive bomb on them.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Warmachine posted:

This is where I'm at. Chasing tanks that don't have morale to break sounds dumb, and going after the internet driving the tanks when we don't know exactly how much internet we can get away with wrecking is also dumb. My only question about the airfield is if we have the right ordinance and airframes to perform the necessary SEAD to get in and also wreck the runway. Killing pilots and wrecking airframes is good, but if for whatever reason we can't fully wreck the base, we need to at least be able to gently caress up the runway to make the trip worth it and deny ROMARM an airfield.

So, ultimately, airfield.

Agreeing with this post.

LostCosmonaut posted:

It's in CMANO but I can't find anything that actually carries it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, flood the servers with your own bots that do nothing but friendly fire and drive backwards into the enemy. Seriously, Arsenal AD are the software guys, they should be able to attack this easily.

Forget bots, just mass-hire a thousand or so sub-40% WR World of Tanks pubbies and let them do their thing. :v: