Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dreamsicle posted:

I think he means Iron Sky moon Nazis.

I do indeed mean Iron Sky moon Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

When do we reach the point that we run half our missions in Children of a Dead Earth?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

xthetenth posted:

When do we reach the point that we run half our missions in Children of a Dead Earth?

Personally, I cant wait

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Davin Valkri posted:

Wouldn't theoretical moon Nazis be horribly outclassed by literally everything in the modern database?

I'm sure we can find a weheraboo to explain to us how an 88 could bring down an entire wing of F22s.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

I have returned and the mosquito's did not carry us away. I'll count votes later this afternoon and we'll get into mission planning.

Also, the employer will be comically insufferable but not in a way that we'll want to gently caress off. Think Office Space more than Toyota.

We'll be the judge of whether we want to gently caress off, thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010

Yooper posted:

I have returned and the mosquito's did not carry us away. I'll count votes later this afternoon and we'll get into mission planning.

Also, the employer will be comically insufferable but not in a way that we'll want to gently caress off. Think Office Space more than Toyota.

Part 2 of my weapon compendium is on page 212.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

We'll be the judge of whether we want to gently caress off, thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

Seriously can we downsize the salt factory a little? It's getting annoying.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Z the IVth posted:

Sounds like you need some kaizen there, buddy!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

With proper application of amphetamines and an enthusiastic turnaround time, our Gripen pilots are good candidates for working themselves to death like proper salarymen!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can we Nick a robot after the campaign ends?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Z the IVth posted:

While I admire Hayard Gunnes' dedication to reducing Mitsuhashi's preservation costs, I agree.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 28, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

I'm enjoying every moment of the Toyota Method as applied to a rag-tag band of combat ready mercenaries. :)
(Especially the F-16 voters.)

Just wait till inspections roll around!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 28, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The game is inspired by Strike Commander.

Be grateful the ENTIRE GAME isn't F-16s and then one hilariously surprisingly underwhelming F-22 for 2 missions.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Night10194 posted:

With proper application of amphetamines and an enthusiastic turnaround time, our Gripen pilots are good candidates for working themselves to death like proper salarymen!

As someone with experience in the misuse of amphetamines, I recommend we ensure they fly with a CamelBak and a stillsuit for proper hydration during longer ops.

Also Laser. Bote.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

RA Rx posted:

I'm enjoying every moment of the Toyota Method as applied to a rag-tag band of combat ready mercenaries. :)
(Especially the F-16 voters.)

Just wait till inspections roll around!

We need more F-16s. Especially these ones.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Getting rid of LGB chuckers is a bad idea. Getting rid of birds that are both LGB chuckers AND AMRAAM carriers is downright stupid. That capability has saved our asses before and will save them again.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The 5S Method and Merc Work

The new bosses want us to fit in with their corporate culture. As much as we like to bitch about it, it's really not so bad. The whole system is based around being organized and minimizing waste. Saving money works for big corporations, and it works for scrappy mercs. Honestly it's not too much different then the cost cutting we'd have to do if dogmocracy had swung the other way.

1S - Seiri

This can be translated as "sort" or "de-clutter". It means we shouldn't have unnecessary planes in the air. We sortie only what we need, and keep the expensive and rare stuff grounded until we really need it.

2S - Seiton

This all about setting priorities. We create a priority list of targets, and focus on high priority targets first. I suggest:

1. Military Aircraft
2. Armed Military Ship
3. Armed Civilian Ship
4. Iceberg Fishing Vessel
5. BSNC Fishing Vessel

We sweep from close to our base and work further out, making sure we hit any nearer stuff that pops up.

3S - Seiso

Clean and safe. This is why they've locked up our munitions. It may be possible to get them to back off if we convince them the guards aren't licensed to handle explosives, or appeal to Seiton and say they need to be close to the planes in order to increase efficiency. I'll break out my old Japanese textbook and get on it since I'm grounded.

For Merc work, that's easy - it's exactly what we do. We clean out threats from the AO and keep all those nasty red blips swept off the radar so they're not a safety risk.

4S - Seiketsu

Standards. This is the most Mickey Mouse bullshit. Maybe we can pay our accountant to dummy up a few bricks of paperwork. Meanwhile, just look nice when the bosses show up for inspection and keep your mouths shut.

5S - Shitsuke

Part of it's training. Get your certs in order, put in some sim time, learn a new language; German's a good choice. The other part is taking initiative; if you're in the air, engage your targets. None of this circling for half an hour and whining that you can't hit the target. This also calls for a monthly performance review, so consider that incentive to wrap this up in less than a month.

Kanban - Let the Work Pull You

The concept of Kanban as applied to Merc work is similar to Seiri. Instead of flying every plane every mission, we let the battlefield dictate the pace. In practice this means active reserves, swapping out when someone goes Winchester, and not letting yourself get caught too far forward. It's what we should have been doing in Angola, so hopefully we learn it here.

There's also a very "supervisor forward" philosophy - so we need a volunteer from a low-priority plane to sit out a mission so some Japanese salaryman can get a bit of a thrill and then tell us how to do our jobs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So it's a bunch of poo poo that sounds good on paper but is difficult to pull off in a military context where using too much force is much safer than risking using too little and getting wiped out.

News at 11.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Loel fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 28, 2017

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Added Space posted:

The 5S Method and Merc Work

We could also come at this from a different angle that does not emphasize limiting the use of force.

Seiri
1 - Sort company assets by value and risk of attack. Use this plot as a guide to mission priorities.
2 - Sort our own tools according to purpose and efficacy. Devise patrol squadrons suited to each part of the theater.

Seiton
I think you're right on, though the near-to-far sweep may not be the only appropriate prioritization. It might be more about prioritizing the assets protect than the ones we destroy [edit].

Seiso
The company's tools in the area are its fishing assets. The tools are not working properly because they're degraded by Iceberg/BSNC aggression. Munitions are the grit and polish that can restore a healthy sheen of profitability - we just need full access to them. Probably we'll have to prove to our employer that there is a direct connection between our access to weapons and their industrial output.

Seiketsu
Agree that this is something we do for show.

Shitsuke
In my opinion "do without being told" means exactly what we'd like it to mean.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Terminal Lance is remarkably appropriate. Also, this is exactly the kind of stuff that works fine on a factory floor, but in a military setting things like "minimizing waste" tends to mean that everyone dies because you didn't bring enough missiles.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Quinntan posted:

Heck yes, also some F-15s to go with them

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Terminal Lance is remarkably appropriate. Also, this is exactly the kind of stuff that works fine on a factory floor, but in a military setting things like "minimizing waste" tends to mean that everyone dies because you didn't bring enough missiles.

We just need to include opportunity cost of lost planes. That's a ton of resources wasted if we can't ensure our planes' safety.

Coiler121
May 26, 2017
Who controls our ammunition supply? (I'm not talking about the super-detailed management Yooper had and then scrapped, I'm talking in storyline). Because I agree that the "minimizing waste" approach could backfire spectacularly, and that in any case, controlling our logistics is the perfect way for an employer to get leverage over us, regardless of their philosophy or management methods.

(It would be a legitimately interesting challenge to have a mission where we had severely limited loadout supplies. I've made a scenario or two myself where that was the case-it's not something I'd want to have every time, either as a participant or scenario creator, but it is a very good exercise that makes you think and prioritize)

Quinntan posted:

Well lookie here

(I don't know what Yooper's policy on hypothetical aircraft is. Might not want to open the door to A-12 Terrible Triangles and the cruise missile 747).

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I would gladly swap out my Mirage for a flying dorito.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Coiler121 posted:

(I don't know what Yooper's policy on hypothetical aircraft is. Might not want to open the door to A-12 Terrible Triangles and the cruise missile 747).

Excuse you. Why wouldnt we want that?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Loel posted:

Its power is too great for us to be trusted with.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Loel posted:

Because entire planeload of CALCMs costs 150 million dollars.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crazycryodude posted:

Its power is too great for us to be trusted with.

aren't you the one who keeps saying we should have nuclear weaponry

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright, its power is too great for YOOPER to trust us with. I''d take one packed with nukes and nerve gas in a second if I could.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Another tie. So this is what I get for not doing the IRV thing.

This time, so the dogmocracy method doesn't get old, I'm going to hire both Cobbie and Zack.

Cobbie is going to round up his group and head North. I hit up Zack but he said it's Stanley Cup time and his fantasy hockey league is doing "loving wicked" and he can't be bothered today.

I have to build the scenario and then I'll get a mission brief off to you guys.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Crazycryodude posted:

Alright, its power is too great for YOOPER to trust us with. I''d take one packed with nukes and nerve gas in a second if I could.

Amen

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Yooper posted:

This time, so the dogmocracy method doesn't get old, I'm going to hire both Cobbie and Zack.

This is an ignorant statement. Dogmocracy can't get old.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

Me too​, warcrimes buddy, me too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Remember, the most important alpha strike we can launch is on the shareholders.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

xthetenth posted:

Remember, the most important alpha strike we can launch is on the shareholders.

The Final Mission: New York City Public Schools

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

Wow. I kind of don't actually want to destroy my high school.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

xthetenth posted:

Wow. I kind of don't actually want to destroy my high school.

Thats what you get for alpha striking our shareholders :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Loel posted:

Or at least their pension fund offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

Thats what you get for alpha striking our shareholders :colbert:

Freeing us from the chains of capital is a worthy goal.