Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ready to do some good and/or die in a fireball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Ready to drop the aid. Please don't get me killed, I want to drop paratroopers one day or fly an AC-130.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Someday Ill fly a B-52...

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Tythas posted:

What type of Ace are you Kinght, Soldier or Mercenary?

FULL MERC! all other aces suck.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Bacarruda posted:

Gentlemen, Operation First Impressions is a go!

Here is your briefing. We are wheels up in 30 minutes.

Barracuda, I'm going to level with you: you've got a great voice for briefings. This feels like something out of a good war movie.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Loel posted:

Yooper, did you plan the dictator's personality before or after we chose a side? :D

I pretty much knew what either side was going to be like ahead of time. The reddit/waifu pillow stereotype on one side, crazy dictator Saddam/Qadafi/Erdogan/Trumpish, and the old guard noble seeking one last glorious adventure. Think Patrick Lee Fermor, Count von Rosen, even TE Lawrence.

Oh hai, intel.

Video is rendering, then will upload, then I'll do the usual post.

Bacarruda posted:

This is awesome. Seriously awesome. Thank you Bac! You just sound like my old Squadron XO.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Dr. Snark posted:

Barracuda, I'm going to level with you: you've got a great voice for briefings. This feels like something out of a good war movie.

Gotta give it a proper soundtrack.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Bacarruda posted:

An excellent brief. I'm just flying backseat on rocket duty but I'm confident.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Well, that certainly is encouraging.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Renaissance Spam posted:

It adds so much.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Renaissance Spam posted:

I for one think this should be standard for every briefing hence forth

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Loel posted:

Well, that certainly is encouraging.

I would love to read the comments on our supposed false flag operation

Edit
sorry for posting twice in a row

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tythas posted:

I for one think this should be standard for every briefing hence forth

Agreed

Tythas posted:

I would love to read the comments on our supposed false flag operation

Edit
sorry for posting twice in a row

Yeah, I bet the comments between our unit and their Free State are hilarious :D

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
It's a :f5: situation

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Renaissance Spam posted:

Christ almighty this is perfect.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

if we ever get a tropical island as our base we should call it Sand Island

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Ready to drop the aid. Please don't get me killed, I want to drop paratroopers one day or fly an AC-130.

Good to have you aboard, has anyone volunteered to be our loadmaster? We'll need one.

(I mean, the mission has already been run, but in the future, if another goon want's Yooper to read their stupid callsign, here's a way)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Renaissance Spam posted:

Yes, this is absolutely glorious. And your voice is very good, Bacarruda!

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

CBJamo posted:

Good to have you aboard, has anyone volunteered to be our loadmaster? We'll need one.

(I mean, the mission has already been run, but in the future, if another goon want's Yooper to read their stupid callsign, here's a way)

Wait wait when did I get assigned to a Gripen?!

Oh god I'm gonna die aren't I? :ohdear:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Renaissance Spam posted:

Of course not. You're not in one of the Sk60s, you'll be fine.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Renaissance Spam posted:

You get to die in an awesome fighter. I'm going to die holding a 2x4.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Renaissance Spam posted:

Nononono, you're not gonna die. You're gonna eject, then spend the next 6 months in a free-state re-education center.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CBJamo posted:

Nononono, you're not gonna die. You're gonna eject, then spend the next 6 months in a free-state re-education center.

That would violate the NAP :ohdear:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

CBJamo posted:

I am not sure I like the idea of him getting a free education out of this

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

xthetenth posted:

You get to die in an awesome fighter. I'm going to die holding a 2x4.

Hey you're the ones who decided Thunderdome was a viable method of hierarchy.

CBJamo posted:

Unless I REALLY get lost I suspect I'll actually end up in a lithium mine.

Actually I was just watching a doc on MAPLE FLAG and one of the missions they did back in '08 was a downed pilot rescue; Phi do you think that could be a neat mission for the ground boys should one of us get blowed up real good on a mission?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Renaissance Spam posted:

Actually I was just watching a doc on MAPLE FLAG and one of the missions they did back in '08 was a downed pilot rescue; Phi do you think that could be a neat mission for the ground boys should one of us get blowed up real good on a mission?

They do CSAR missions at Red Flag from time-to-time as well.

As soon as possible, we'll want to grab a helo for our ground forces to ride in. Some more MQ-9s or Super Tucanos for Sandy work would be nice, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7zk_2S5esE&t=1811s

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Bacarruda posted:

This is really good.

Now to sit here all :ohdear: until we find out the results.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

Of course not. You're not in one of the Sk60s, you'll be fine.

Well...as you may have noticed from the briefing, we aren't sortieing the SK60s today.

You may want to find a nice, deep foxhole.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEgnmgYAfdA

Footage is coming out of the Angolan Comfort Hotel and Safari that Wing Commander Rohan hit. We're trying to pawn it off as someone else, but one of the rather unique bombs she dropped didn't detonate and came to rest in the middle of a tub of palm oil. At least it wasn't a school or a hospital. At the same time she nailed the processing facility at that lithium mine too. We've been hoping to capture those points intact. I haven't heard anything from her since the mission. Already Von Hoff's forces are pushing into the gaps left where Dos Santos's armor is destroyed.

Mission Chat

The loss to the SAM is my fault. I should have pulled that Tornado off of the target as soon as they couldn't get a lock. There was a radar picked up that was dropped shortly after and that Tornado kept doing laps searching for a target. I expected it to either fire, or leave. The other one was a bit of welp. Our F4's tried to screen it but it was a nimble beast. Overall I felt that the mission went pretty well. In the future I'll be starting with a Patrol to get a sortie in the air and looking and then shift to a Land Strike Mission to prevent the "Shoot the BMP's" issue we had.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

Is it just me or did our ROE say to shoot down anything that doesn't turn around ... like a stray 747? Hopefully we don't have anybody take that too literally!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

rchandra posted:

Is it just me or did our ROE say to shoot down anything that doesn't turn around ... like a stray 747? Hopefully we don't have anybody take that too literally!

I misspoke during the brief. The ROE in my mission post specified that we can only challenge and engage military aircraft.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AWACS:
<<Mobius One crashed!>>

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Well looking at the mission I have to ask: Jesus loving Christ how many of the Dictator's planes did we shoot down!? That was practically an entire air wing shot down before they could even get past the border in the west!

Also, RIP our two Tornadoes. Your sacrifices were mostly in vain, but we won't tell the investors that.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Boy those pair of BMP's certainly had a bad day.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

sparkmaster posted:

There has got to be a way to set the AI to not drop eight tons of bombs on a pair of BMPs that aren't even the objective.

There is. You can check out their "target lists" under the attack/weapons commit interface, and then delete anything you don't want them to shoot.

Also once again requesting losses and expenditures from all sides.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Dr. Snark posted:

Yeah, poo poo's surprisingly good!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh my god did we just vaporize like half the Dictator's airforce in the west? The Tornadoes are a shame, and probably could have been avoided, but that's the cost of doing business I guess. At least the Great Benguela Turkey Shoot will hopefully make it easier to hold air superiority.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Lost a Tornado to a Strela-10. At least it's less embarassing than losing a Gripen to a J7... and godammit this is why Rohan was a terrible choice.

Manning that drone continues to appear to be the safest idea. PS I am totally hanging a sign outside the trailer to name it The Meat Locker.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Yooper posted:

Footage is coming out of the Angolan Comfort Hotel and Safari that Wing Commander Rohan hit. We're trying to pawn it off as someone else, but one of the rather unique bombs she dropped didn't detonate and came to rest in the middle of a tub of palm oil. At least it wasn't a school or a hospital. At the same time she nailed the processing facility at that lithium mine too. We've been hoping to capture those points intact. I haven't heard anything from her since the mission. Already Von Hoff's forces are pushing into the gaps left where Dos Santos's armor is destroyed.

Who was in the hotel when it was bombed? Hopefully we got lucky and most of the occupants were Dos Santos's officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

Who was in the hotel when it was bombed? Hopefully we got lucky and most of the occupants were Dos Santos's officers.

With a name like "Comfort Hotel and Safari"? Probably rich tourists. Worst possibility now is outside intervention on behalf of the Dictator...

EDIT: By the way, Yooper, ground units consisting of a composite of multiple units (like a unit of 4 tanks) will have a little white number indicating how many subunits are represented by that icon. If any guided ordnance is launched at that unit, the count will show up as a little white number just underneath that one.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 23, 2017