Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Send in Cobbie and Hijack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Looks like Iceberg or Canada Express received a lot of supplies around the opening of the mission. Likely new equipment we'll face next round. Hopefully not another whole PMC.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Just to be clear, as I understand it:

-A deal with BSNC is out because our bosses are afraid of missiles.
-The daughter working with BSNC wants to get paid at the expense of her dad's company.
-The Chinese are beefing up support of BSNC because "gently caress goons"
-Cuban, Canadian, and Dutch mercenaries are still in play.
-Iceberg launched an amphibious operation and might still have troops on the island
-The Russians will probably sit this mission out.
-Angerpeace appears to be neutralized.

The only thing to add is AngerPeace may have landed someone in the south, refer to the potentially AngerPeace superyacht and the abandoned landing craft there that we haven't yet pegged to any particular party.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Anything we could possibly do here is going to cause more chaos, which will tank Mitsuhashi's share price even farther, which will mean a further buying spree from both Hasegawa's. I don't see the elder winning out in this hostile takeover unless we find the daughter and prevent her from doing that. That said, if we find her and offer her a deal that might be our best way of de-escalating with a paycheck. She's also likely the person who best knows where the nuke is, because she's the one who stole it in the first place.

Nevermind Russian or Chinese involvement, those are only going to be a thing if this information gets blown wide open somehow.

All that said, BNSC and Iceberg are going to go balls out for these next operations. I'm actually nervous we don't have the planes or arsenal to throw down with an all-in from both of them.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Unless they put the nuke on the sub and all of this searching is moot because no one actually knows we just sent it to the bottom. In which case we get to cover an operation to dredge it up again in the future.

Don't think it's likely but that's the kind of twist that could happen.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I know Bad Weather / Perfume is trying to minimize the exposure of our Hinds but the LZ's still crap. Fighting our way through a number of angry Chileans and not even being within 40 miles of Savoonga (across mountains and baren rock), which is our primary objective, seems questionable.

On the other hand Southern Comfort did a similar thing and there aren't any roads at all for their Bradleys and M113s. But I just can't see us advancing without sticking Cobbie's boys back into the Hinds. A 40-mile march across cover-less rocky terrain in horrific weather? I don't think we should or even could do it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Oh, welp, I missed Yooper's time warning. Oh well, next time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I'm for giving it to Sammie because the implied CIA connections mean opening ridiculous opportunities with procurement.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 2, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

slothrop posted:

I think we need to have a discussion about what we'd like our force to look like going forward as having some clear goals can simplify these decisions.

Gripens have served us well and it'd be nice to make good our losses/upgrade to the AESA model

On the other hand they are notoriously short legged so perhaps more F-16s or some F-15s would better suit us. Not necessarily in this tiny theatre but going forward.

We should probably also consider more EWar planes

I'm tending towards

C, Louie

However it'll be interesting to see what people think our force should look like.

I'm for more Gripens. The Meteor alone makes them worth every penny. Enough Gripens mean air superiority against anything but F-22s or J-20s. Their short-leggedness is more something we've had to work with than something that's prevented us from using them well.

I don't really think our air to ground is half bad; the F-4s for all their age seem excellent, and the big Tornado package we have means decent standoff strike capability. If anything I wouldn't mind another 4-6 F-4s. e: Or Intruders. The A-6E has a great set of weapons.

The slight problem we seem to have is that we reply on the Gripen for everything. As we've seen in this theatre, they're not invincible, and we won't always be able to put them into the skies. I'd like to have some backup planes that can carry SDBs. Strike Eagles would be ideal? If we can find an F-16 variant that can carry them that would fine too. Or just more Gripens if they cost less or are easier to acquire.

Better recon assets or a second Prowler might be worthwhile. Unsure what there even is out there for that though.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 2, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

power crystals posted:

Also something that can fit MALDs to help with SAMs.

Wonder if there are any surplus B-52 around.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Having spent my evening looking up way too many aircraft, I think if we're adding anything I'd take Gripens and American F-16s over anything else, not counting specialty aircraft like a Growler. Strike Eagles could substitute for Gripens depending on cost/availability, they do basically the same thing. American F-16s can carry MALDs and long range cruise missiles in addition to decent AMRAAMs. I wouldn't bother with more foreign F-16s, not that they're bad, they just don't add any capability.

If we can find them on the cheap, we should pick up some A-6E Intruders. They're old-ish so they shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but they have ridiculously versatile loadouts.

Something like this:
8-12 Gripen
4 Greek F-16
4 American F-16
6 F-4
6 A-6E Intruder
9 Tornado
4 Kfir
X motley crew of ancient bomb trucks

That's presuming we don't lose anymore planes, but we almost certainly will by the time this campaign is over.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 2, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

AmyL posted:

I mean, the smart play is to give up the nuke to the IAEA but well...

The one flaw I find is that the IAEA is going to want to publicize that they finally recovered a nuke. That could eventually blow the Mitsuhashi / Taiwan secret wide open and then China gets real mad at Japan and things get interesting.

Go to the CIA and the nuke disappears. Maybe someone bad gets it but it doesn't have a large chance become WW3.

I don't think there's any good situation to selling or having a nuke though, so it's basically pick your poison.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I'd honestly be okay with the CIA could "only" get us some decent Falcons and Intruders. Although Strike Eagles and Super Bugs would be a thing.

Potential with K&P is fine too. Just as long as we don't enable these megacorporations to go nuclear in their apparent war.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

Weren't the Intruders scrapped? They were retired in '97

There are almost 50 in the boneyard. If I were the USA I'd sell those airframes to people like our suppliers. Might be better to go for something else but hey, I'm a fan of the plane.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Nick Esasky posted:

Honestly, i think we're okay as far as generic mud-moving goes. Everything in our fleet can toss at least 2 LGBs or GPS bombs at something and sometimes more. The problems i do see with our A2G capabilities are as follows:

a) The most capable/versitile of our Not-Tornado are also our most capable A2A combatants. As it is right now we seem to be stuck rotating our Gripens/Falcons/Phantoms between either being on CAP or waiting for the next mission in order to have a CAP we feel comfortable with up in the air, with occasional Kfirs added for spice. i feel like acquiring a small pile of good A2A-focused combatants like some Early Typhoons/Eagles or even some Russian Mig-31s or some other plane with Adder Bs on them would be good for dedicated CAP birds. Getting ones without A2G capabilites should even be somewhat cheaper.

b)Our SEAD abilities suck. ALARMs have puny warheads even if they get fixed, have a max of 40 NM of range, and are slower than SovCrap from the 1970s/are easy to shoot down. HARMs are somewhat faster/have longer legs, but require committing all 4 of our Falcons+ our Prowler to it and then writing them off for the next mission, only for 9 shots. Idealy, i'd get some Russian plane that can fire Krypton Cs for the role; its 25% faster than the HARM, 60% on the ALARM, has a 60 NM range (or 110 NM if you find a Su-34 with Krypton Ds), and most Ruskie planes with them can fire 4 in a sortie. That or finding something that can carry more than 2 HARMs.

c)We might want to consider improving the versitality of our ground attack options that aren't some sort of glide bomb/Paveway that needs 10k+ feet release altitudes. As it is, if we want to blow up ground targets with a powered weapon our options are basically 6 NM Mavericks off of everything but our Kfirs/Mirages/Tornados, or expensive-rear end Storm Shadows out to 215 NM, with Brimstones on Tornados being ineffective against targets that aren't vehicles. Russian Fencers/Fullbacks have Maverick equivalents with about 4 times the boom, and also have a fair few options for middle-range stuff as well.

d)if we want to throw 8 Tornados worth of Sea Eagles at a thing, we get 16 sub-sonic missiles with 60 NM range. While capable of popping smaller things or posing serious threats to 70s/some 80s bigger stuff, they're likely to come up short against modern ships that have any real effort put into self-defense. I don't see buffing our anti-shipping as a major priority, but getting Mig-29Ks with our choice of 4 supersonic Krypton As or 4 130 NM AS-20s would be nice.

Well, we did win a campaign for the Indians, so maybe they're willing to part with some Mig-29Ks. Russia might also have some. Fulcrum-Ds can carry 4x Krypton C, 4x Krypton A, 4x AS-20, or 4x Adder A (45nm), which are better than our Phantoms in a CAP pinch. I would definitely be okay with these planes.

Though honestly our A2A is our biggest problem right now since we lost those Gripens.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The only way we'd get the A-6 is if the US started to sell all their boneyard planes (surprisingly plausible in this universe) and we picked them up third-hand.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Coffeehitler posted:

I was actually looking at the boneyard on google maps the other day and there's like one Aardvark and 3 Prowlers there. So unless the Navy/Marines have some other boneyards somewhere (I looked at Davis-Monthan), they just straight don't exist outside of museums/statics.

Well, what are these?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Anta posted:

Are we that worried about SMARF anyway? Didn't we kick their rear end last time? We're a little less capable than back then right now, but how much of a threat are they? Are they a problem if we see them coming?

e: my thinking is that we need to figure exactly when SMARF intends to backstab us. If they're going to wait until we've dealt with BSNC and Iceberg or if they're going to hit us right in the middle of the fight.

SMARF would be like Canada Express in that they fly modern american/american-derived aircraft. Since they come out of airbases on our backline they'd be pretty difficult to deal with at knife-fight range; we'd be trading with them at best.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

It seems to me that Midori is just after the $$$$$. SMARF is one thing, but she's the kind of person who will deal.

If we have no other good options, once we have the nuke, we can blackmail our Japanese corporate overlords on our silence, because if we say something it means war with Russia and/or China.

We're also propped up by American investors, so the USA may be one of the safer places we can land after a hot exit. And it seems to me that deliberately putting recon elements over St. Lawrence Island mean the USA may be wanting to retake their land, which could be the out of all outs. That said, I wouldn't count on it without a deal in place.

Worst comes to worst, the Angolan government really likes us :v:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

If Canada Express isn't bitter about losing all their hornets we might be able to hire a few globemasters?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

We're based in Russia, though...

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The US Navy has cargo planes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I'm just not a fan of going it alone here.

Mitsuhashi is dependent on Russian bases and Russian ports as much as we are. I would not be surprised if they chose to side with the Russians. In fact, I think it's probably a done deal already.

If our current set of airbases become hostile we have to have Cobbie successfully take Savoonga before it happens. And operating out of the gravel strip at Savoonga surrounded on all sides by hostile entities is not my idea of a good time.

I know we don't want a rep for turning on employers, but our employers aren't paying us. Just leave and announce we didn't get paid. No pay no mercs, that's how it works.

We need someone like BSNC on-side, or even the USN. The only thing that stops me from immediately voting to strike a deal to play chair force for the USN is that that battlecruiser would wreck us and we probably can't touch it.

So I'm for option 3, let's talk to BSNC and the Navy and see if we have options to rebase somewhere else in the region like Hooper Bay while continuing our nuke hunt.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Nick Esasky posted:

As it is, we hold air superiority in the theatre, with both BSNC and Iceberg having maybe 2-3 planes that could be called fighters left. Against that, we have 4 Gripens and 4 Falcons, with 5 Phantoms and 4 Kfirs that can also fill the role, if less capably. We have no major threats in the air unless either the US or Russia starts shooting us and move modern fighters in-theatre, in which case we're screwed even if we get 4-6 emergency reinforcements.

This is true, but point of order, SMARF flies 4th generation fighters and we may well have to fight our way out through them.

Even with all that, we had air superiority last mission and enemy planes still flew right by our helicopters. So we can still gently caress up, especially if Blue Star or Canada Express has something in reserve. Plus, all our Gripens are grounded for the next phase of this mission as we used them all last mission. That "half force" problem isn't going to go away by the time we receive reinforcements.

quote:

As far as unexpected A2G losses go and what they might mean, even beyond whatever multiroles we feel we can spare from CAP, which i feel is a large number, we have 8 Tornados, 2 AMXes, and 2 Mirages specifically meant to move mud, not to mention our various Sovcrap which would LOVE to go and bomb one of those big ol' FOBs or something. With the Mamba proved to be toothless, the Crotales around Savoonga blown up, and the Rolands in the area being unable to shoot munitions inbound to blow them up, i feel like the only real SAM threats are a)The Crotales around Gambell, which are far off from our area of interest; or b) MANPADs, which are going to be a threat wherever we overfly on the island. I could see us taking loses to carelessness or bad luck if we're feeling like hunting for targets below cloud level with Brimstones or Mavericks, but i don't see any ways we take significant losses if we use most of our planes to just drop Paveways/SPICES on things Cobbie says need to go away. After all, wasn't half the point of taking the risks associated with blasting a path to drop Cobbie in last mission the ability for him to find our targets for us instead of us having to gently caress about with Damocles pods in the shittiest of weather?

Anyway, my big point is that we simply don't have a strong enough need for NEW PLANES NOW NOW NOW to start pressing people to get us them on rather short notice or else we don't do things for them. Armtwisting the IAEA for Gripens/Falcons Avaliable Immediately, even if it works, is likely to result in us having to pay out the nose for the things, and the armtwisting associated with getting the planes and getting them to us(tankers will be needed) will likely result in any Eurodiscounts from actually getting the nuke to them being reduced or eliminated. Similarly, opening up a contact with a near-rogue US Admiral with what essentially amounts to "Hi we want to give you intel, plz give us very expensive drone/plane at a base belonging to the guys you want to shoot" seems rather likely to just poison the well if he doesn't just tell us to gently caress off.

I'm all for maybe working with Halsey re: Intel Sharing and putting the Dunkirkers on retainer, but we don't need to gently caress things up by getting greedy for PLANES NOW when there isn't a compelling reason for it.

I would agree that as long as we hold air superiority we control the pace of A2G operations. The only slight problem is if we have to at some point engage the Russian battlegroup, which would be suicide no matter what we have in the air. That thing can swat pretty much every missile we have out of the sky simultaneously, just look at all the systems that can engage "Missile" here. So we have to avoid doing that.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Centurium posted:

Re-Edit: Look again at Yooper's post. The Velikiy is in (or just left) Vladivostok, and the box Hallsey sent to us reaches from just off Attu Island to just off the coast of Kamchatka.

Yeah, the thing is I'm not sure how we're supposed to help or indeed pass intel to the Americans when their operational area is 1000 miles away from ours.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I think "take Savoonga" as an objective makes sense, it's not like this place is a small city or a sprawling African slum, it's a collection of shacks, population at most a thousand even with all of BSNC and Blue Star's people here.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Roeben posted:

But what if there are still smarter, secret nazi's amongst us trying to influence the LP from within to create a free mercenary state in africa?

It could happen.

EDIT:

I feel there's a third option to the Savoonga discussion.

We split Cobbies forces into a small and a large group. The small group scouts/secures the shlong whilst the rest attempts to take the airfield. If they get bogged down they'll likely prevent any forces stationed there from moving and re-securing the shlong. If they take the airfield, there's no issues.

Then we fly in a helicopter and secure the package, and then allow the door-to-door fighting to cease as we do a fighting retreat back to the helicopters. The Savoonga assault would only be for pinning purposes, not capturing the town. That'd also give any possible mortar teams more targets to shoot at. We can call in the dutch choppers if we're low on carrying capacity.

This is a more practical plan as it masks our real objective, the only real problem is that we'd have obviously failed to secure the airfield for Mitsuhashi by withdrawing at that point.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

It seems, then, that the operation should be entirely focused on suppressing enemy things (missiles, anti-ship missiles, artillery) and securing the nuke site. Phase 3 would involve extraction and also betraying Mitsuhashi.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

There's no way the game properly models this, but the Durandal is designed to disturb concrete and paved runways. I don't think it would be particularly effective against gravel given how it works - I could be wrong, I'm certainly no expert on bombing gravel runways, but the Durandal has this primary warhead -> secondary shockwave thing going on designed to disturb hard runway surfaces that doesn't sound like it would work the same against gravel.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I've been using ShoreZone to look at the coast in this area. There's a pretty clear aerial video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDOcVrNOLz8&t=1746s

As you can see, there is exactly zero cover whatsoever down the coastal road and airport. The alternative is marching across a small mountain or along its slopes. The Savoonga plain is ideal vehicle country, if we had vehicles, and the town itself looks impossible to defend; even if we took the airport we would have all of one building to hole up behind. On the other hand once we breach the cloud cover it's amazing terrain for air support.

It's also possible to pull pictures off the ShoreZone site but it's slow as poo poo for me so I'm not going to try. I can't actually download the snapshots in the later portion of the coastal survey, but they go all the way down the coastal road past where our infantry are now.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The best part is both missions call for SHORE BOMBARDMENT.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

It seems wasteful to spend so much on bombing the airport facilities, so I'm going with poor life choices. Although I will note that in either plan, using the frigates in SSM range but not in SSM radar range holds some risk because of the game's weird perfect datalinks. Not a big problem as we call for killing the SSM quickly in both.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

let them land then sink all their supply ships

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

At some point they cease being civilians and start being enemy combatants. Probably around the time they fly or boat onto the island and start trooping around with guns.

They kind of read like ISIS-lite to me.

That said, I don't see any particular reason to go out of our way to engage them unless they're obstructing one of our objectives.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Mission planning seems difficult, honestly, because you have to manage objectives, assets, capabilities, timing, unknowns, all the way down to individual weapon ranges and deployment restrictions. Even our best planners gently caress up regularly.

If nothing else, I would start working from a good map.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Don't poke the bear

Russian planes from non-Russian sources are poo poo. Not pissing off Russia is pretty much the only way to get decent Soviet/Russian planes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

thetruegentleman posted:

What about some air-dropped antiship mines, either near the southern edge of the island to disrupt landings, or just in front of the submarine operating areas to slow the Battlegroup down? Who knows, might even get lucky if Russia forgot to bring a Minesweeper.

Their ship list doesn't have a minesweeper in it, although helicopters can be used in mine detection. But I would agree that Mark 60s or Mark 67s could be useful here, if they can be deployed in time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The Mays have air cover in russian fighters but are operating in a radar gap. Radar in the gap is provided by the two A-50U Mainstays which are hanging back behind the Kirov task group.

If we can blind the russian fighters we may have a very small window of opportunity to zip in, Meteor the Mays, and zip out. Alternately, if we can sneak missiles in under the cover of the Mainstays then we can kill the Mays and ditch.

The airfield at Casco Cove on Attu Island is still maintained for emergency use only. However, I don't expect we can manage to hit the Mainstays or the Mays from there.

Looking at our options in smuggling in some SAMs:

The northernmost Bering Sea cargo route swings just past Attu Island. Along the coast of Kamchatka will be mostly Russian shipping and Russian/Japanese fishing boats.

We may not have an in with the Russian task force or air force, but Mitsuhashi is rife with factionalism, and we still have BLACKMAIL on the elder Hasegawa - surely he doesn't want a visit from the Chinese who know he gave Taiwan their nuke?

So:
- Contact the CIA and/or the USN get us some nasty anti-air missiles that fit on fishing trawlers and the operatives to use them then abandon the boats.
- Blackmail Hasegawa to donate two or three Mitsuhashi boats - they just have to be big enough to put missiles on.
- Sail the now-armed boats to the ASW area, pop up the SAMs, shoot down the Mays. Use our own AWACS to provide datalinked targeting.

Alternately, if the Americans can do something similar to the Mainstays, like say from a cargo ship, we can rush in and missile the Mays hopefully avoiding retaliation.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Maybe wait for them to rotate the Mays, then catch the one coming on-shift with a pair of sacrificial aircraft out of Attu? There's a long haul from Klyuchi to the subhunting area, so all we would need is accurate intelligence (maybe CIA satellite) for exactly when the next May takes off, and fast enough planes in Attu that the CAP which should be forward deployed can't catch us in time. But I think that's a very long shot, because the radar planes will see us coming and can vector interceptors. We could make it work by launching a diversionary attack at the same time. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Ah, I have more questions! Some are for Yooper, some are for the thread in general.

Yooper:

The CIA can give us satellite analysis, yes? Can they determine which airbase (hopefully just one) the Mays are operating out of, and whether the runways of that airbase can be shut down?

It was already stated that they're flying out of Klyuchi.