Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm up for a good dorfing. Anything without guns, callsign Socks 'cause I'm never boots on ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Not up on all the military terms, but Meteors seem hugely overpriced and would blow our entire budget. We're not exactly a first ranked company, we shouldn't take a contract where that kind of one-use weapon is needed.

Also not sure why we'd buy a sensor pod given that our AWACS can canvas an entire country more or less for free.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
No to the museum pieces, we don't have an unlimited amount of money and they're useless if we want to take big-time missions.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Socks is listed in two different planes.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I hope we can sort out this whole fuel paranoia thing or else we're always going to have CAP way out of position.

And you guys doubted the value of the bomb trucks. We're not pretty but we get the job done. That said, we should probably stay out of the Eastern Hemisphere for a while.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

rchandra posted:

PR proposal: fund pensions for Indian pilot widow(er)s.

Public Relations? We're jet powered mercenaries, we ain't exactly a public business. We're not even slightly at fault here, it was some drat politician's idea to send those boys to their death. Us offering money might well seem insulting to those folks who think they died for some better reason. It's also impolite to imply that our employer can't support their own.

Find some other way to ease your conscience without sticking your hand in the company till.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I vote that we buy planes, I don't really understand all the wrangling.

Go to Angola and support the Dictator. Idealism is nice but doesn't pay the bills.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

power crystals posted:

By the way, a meta-proposal: next time we do procurement, offer packages from the three vendors based on what we're making noises about wanting. So for ARMs BLFM would try to hand us a Prowler vs K&P's ECRs, and likewise for the ADA (Hawks + VADS, SA-22, SIDAMs + ASRADs). This would leave flexibility without devolving into arguments over the exact number of Phantoms that is appropriate to buy. Let Willie handle any wildcard requests like the Growlers if none of the offered packages are appealing. We've been at this poo poo for seven pages now and there's more proposals than votes :v:

Alternate proposal, do a lottery and pick three packages to vote on. This back-and-forth revising is probably good but it's too confusing for something like a popular vote.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
A la carte

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
ANGOLA - DICTATOR

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Lubango

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Rohan

Also, Yooper, check your PMs.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
More news from the region -

Times of India posted:

Lhasa

After a fierce battle in the skies over the Himalayas, official sources announced that that the Volunteers have successfully captured Lhasa. Air losses were heavy, with both sides losing nearly all planes committed to the action before the Lhasa airport was neutralized in heavy bombing. Observers on the ground reported that a reserve of older planes struck the decisive blow after more modern fighters had exhausted themselves in aerial dogfights. The Indian government continues to deny knowledge of this attack, claiming it was an independent action by a mercenary group.

"China revealed their true intent of endless expansion," said Prime Minister Narendra Modi in an official statement. "This victory assures the integrity of Indian sovereignty and regional security."

The claimed goal of the Volunteers was to place the Dalai Lama, who is nearing his hundredth birthday, back into power in Tibet. The ailing religious leader issued a brief statement of regret for the necessary deaths and hope for a peaceful future. The High Lamas have issued a statement rejecting Chinese authority over their religious traditions and that plans are already underway to secure the reincarnation of the current Dalai Lama when the time comes. With India issuing tepid statements refusing to support the new government, the political future of Tibet remains uncertain.

The National Democratic Alliance has issued an emergency military spending bill in the face of recent losses. The bill includes steps to decommission the Rafale fighter, a long time mainstay of the India Air Force, citing operational shortcomings. More controversially the bill includes several billion Rupees of funding for "military support services" in the form of secret contracts. Officials denied that any military funds would be spent on foreign private military contractors.

Wing Commander Rohan was honorably discharged after a closed session of the Committee of Defense became heated. Members of Parliament refused comment, but photos were taken of Rohan being removed from the building by security forces. Military sources confirmed she was in command of the air wing that took heavy losses, but denied that the losses lead to her removal.

China has declined to comment directly on events in Tibet. In various other official releases Beijing has claimed to retain control of all historically Chinese areas and that military redeployments were part of a long-term strategy of defending Chinese interests. They have also announced plans for a sixth-generation aircraft, "the finest in the world", to enter service within the next decade.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 20, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Mainly I voted for Rohan because there's a real woman online who might get another :5bux: out of the deal.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'd advise against being too aggressive. It sounds like the Count's not in a position right now to advance and claim land, so we'd be drawing most of the Dictator's attention to ourselves. We want to consolidate and defend until we get a note from our employer to go offensive.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Renaissance Spam posted:

If we're too conservative we're going to invite increased attacks from the Dictator as he sees an opportunity to strike a soft target. If we can show that we're a force to be reckoned with me may not only put the Dictator on the back foot but we may be able to convince Reddit Nation to join the fray directly, forcing Angola to split their forces and take the pressure off of Hoff's humanitarian efforts, which means one less thing we have to split our forces over.

Reddit is already forced to attack since they don't have control any mines. In any two-front war you commit most of your forces to one front to try to end it quickly, and we don't want that to be us. If we draw a bright line and defend it but don't encroach, we can encourage most of his forces to go north. That's when we go right ahead and stab him hard in the back.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I do have an aviation museum in my home town, but most the stuff is prop planes and the few jets they have aren't in the game database.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, unless we're prepared to buy the land and fence it off indefinitely, we shouldn't drop cluster ammunition anywhere. Even the use in Lhasa was questionable, but that airfield had to be shut down quickly and for a long term.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Quinntan posted:

We're mercenaries. If we wanted to be ethical, we're in the wrong profession.

It's not so much ethical as pragmatic. Until we bribe some big-name politicians to bury any scandals we shouldn't get a reputation for indiscriminate killing of civilians.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 22, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Bacarruda posted:

Gentlemen, Operation First Impressions is a go!

Here is your briefing. We are wheels up in 30 minutes.

An excellent brief. I'm just flying backseat on rocket duty but I'm confident.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Well, losses and fuckups are going to happen. It's interesting to see the AI acting on its own timetable, and it looks like we've confirmed which mercs went where.

At this point I'm almost tempted to try to take out harbors in a sort of aerial blockade - is it even possible to do something like that without something like a MOAB or nuke?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

The Sandman posted:

Edit: Okay, never mind, we had more HARMs. Although I don't think we hit anything with those either. And what the hell was Mobius trying to do that involved doing donuts over a SAM site until it shot him down rather than flying away and hitting it with a bomb or something?

The radar was set to pulse on randomly. Mobius spotted a pulse and went to hit it, but it turned off again before he got into launch range. You can't very well launch a HARM without the R, so he was waiting for it to pulse on again, and just ignoring whatever it was the platoon was eyeball-firing at him.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Actually, rewatching the op, can people explain why they were so impressed by the Gorgon Stare? It seemed like it couldn't identify poo poo until it was right overhead of it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Your plan was bad and no-one likes you Bacarruda.

Down the Throat

Pre-deploy the Reaper with Gorgon Stare pods to Point Avalanche. Advance north until the convoy is spotted or the path crosses anti-air range.

Launch two Gripens with maximum Meteor loads with orders to loiter over the airport. They are not to leave the area and fire at any hostiles that come in range. Bingo at 5% and quick turn around for Winchester.

Load remaining Gripens with maximum air-to-air and all other attack craft capable of mid-air refueling with maximum SEAD and CAS as appropriate. Proceed with the Growler, Big Pig and the AWACS to Point Avalanche. Rally and refuel, match speeds, and have combat elements proceed north. Enemy anti-air is to be eliminated at maximum range with minimum force. Once we can confirm lack of anti-air over the Bulgarian ground forces, launch SKB60s for CAS operations against ground forces.

Bomb the diamond convoy at the highest range. Once destroyed, weapons free on the Bulgarian forces.

If the SA-20 Gargoyle is spotted, engage in plan Infidel.

Infidel:

Engage jamming with the Growler. Vector directly towards the Gargoyle. Launch the first missiles at maximum range, then raise speed to the maximum. Once a plane is out of missiles to fire, break at 90 degrees until out of range and return to Avalanche. Once destruction is confirmed return to the plan and complete operations.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 25, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The main thing I wanted to minimize with my plan is this nonsense where our forces are spread out and wander halfway across the map when they get a stupid idea in their heads. Place the tanker in a position close to but behind the front where it can be screened. Have forces match speed so they don't get strung out. Top up before operations so our guys don't wander off ten feet before the goal line. Concentrate forces. Keep that in mind if you're putting your support forces somewhere far away from and at a weird angle to your operational goals.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Bacarruda posted:

Then I'm not sure why you're such bearish about my plan, given that it's literally the only one with clearly-establish No-Fly Zones and No-Engagement zones.

Almost all those things (tanking, target selection, speed matching, etc.) are all things that are in Yooper's hands.

I meant your planned acquisition that got voted down and you just won't stop whining about.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I personally want our own Hercules so that we can drop MOABs.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Loel posted:

Fairly sure we have one :D

Nope, we have a piddly little cargo plane with one tenth the carrying capacity. Yawn.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I don't know if you realize this Yooper but the stream cuts off after the Taurus strike fails.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So, what's the answer for what we're doing, firing Meteors at max range without attack radar?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Why would you design an alcohol cooled anything on a friggin' jet? :psyduck:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It's sad when you're in a jet and you're outperformed by a pack of unmanned gliders. :(

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
K&P

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Will wrote a plan tomorrow, but let me float a target for your approval - http://www.sonangol.co.ao/English/AreasOfActivity/Downstream/Pages/Refinery.aspx

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The Luanda oil refinery is absolutely a valid military target. It contains their national reserve of jet fuel. Energy targets are valid under the Geneva conventions. The refinery represents 0.03% of world production. Most of their oil is exported crude. It would be a huge blow to their military and nary a blip on world radar.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Huh, considering the length of the operation, what are the loiter and turnaround times of our support elements? Specifically the reaper, sperwyr, AWACS and tanker?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Thanks Yooper!

Hopefully I'm not a watch list for searching for black ops and strategic maps for Angola.

We have some flexibility but it looks we have to hold a mission on the ground to go meet those Kfirs if we want them.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Operation Care Package

We're going to split our op force into three parts in order to hit more strategic targets. I'd appreciate any tactical insight.

Audacious Flight
4x Gripen
4x Tornado
2x Mirage
1x Prowler
1x Reaper

Bold Flight
4x Gripen
6x Phantom
2x AMX
1x Sperwer

Clubfoot Flight
5x SK60B
1x Frogfoot
1x Hawk

Our tankers and AWACS can join in with every flight.

ROE

If an SA-11 is spotted, cease operations and attack with one Gripen firing SDBs, following with the second (and third for Bold) if the first fails. If the target remains, proceed with the rest of the mission outside its range.

AA Gripens should maintain Ready 5 when not on an active mission.

When we get the call on the Kfirs, activate Plan Judas.

If you have more bogeys then missiles, run away. Disallow the use of guns.

Attack Radar OFF unless you need a firing solution. Jammers always ON.

Avalanche attack - 0700

Audacious - SEAD
2x Gripen
A/A Intercept (220 nm): 4x RB 107 Meteor (75 nm) / 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm)
2x Gripen
Land Standoff Strike (530 nm): 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm) / 8x GBU-39/B SDB (60 nm)
2x Mirage
Guided Bomb (350 nm, Day Only, Clear Weather): 2x R.550 Magic 2 Mk2 (10 nm), 4x GBU-12D/B Paveway II LGB (4 nm), 1x Barax NG DECM Pod
2x Saudi Tornado
ALARM (950 nm): 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm), 5x ALARM Blk 1 (40 nm)
2x German Tornado
HARM (820 nm): 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm), 2x AGM-88B HARM (70nm)
1x Prowler
HARM (550 nm): 1x AGM-88C HARM (70 nm), 4x AN/ALQ-991 ECM Pod
1x Reaper
Recon (1600 nm): 2x Gorgon Stare Increment 2 Sensor Pod

Clubfoot - CAS
5x SK60B
Rocket (375 nm, Day-Only, Limited All-Weather): 12x M/70 135mm Rocket (2nm)
1x Frogfoot
Anti-Tank (210 nm): 2x AA-8 Aphid (5 nm), 16x AT-16 Scallion (5 nm)
1x Hawk
Anti-ground: 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm), 2x AGM-65G Maverick IR (8nm)

The Reaper, Prowler, AWACS, and Stratotanker will orbit just east of the airfield.

Audacious will clear out enemy radar installations and destroy AA from the Bulgarians to the coast. Once clear, Audacious and Clubfoot should clear out enemy armor and forward bases.

Audacious and support elements should RTB when out of bombs. Clubfoot should quick turnaround and continue attacking until they run out of targets or daylight.

Bastion Attack - SCRUBBED

No attack.

Cutthroat attack - 1500

Audacious - Deep Strike
4x Gripen
2x Mirage
Guided Bomb (350 nm, Day Only, Clear Weather): 2x R.550 Magic 2 Mk2 (10 nm), 4x GBU-12D/B Paveway II LGB (4 nm), 1x Barax NG DECM Pod
2x German Tornado
Land Standoff Strike (650 nm): 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm), 2x Taurus KEPD 350P (180 nm)
2x Saudi Tornado
Cruise Missile (825 nm): 2x Storm Shadow (215 nm), 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm)
1x Reaper

At 1300 launch the Sperwer towards Lobito. At 1400 launch the reaper towards Lubito.

Move northwest over the ocean at military speed. Target one Storm Shadow at the radar installation south of Luanda, and the rest at the Ministry of Defense. Use the indicated flight path for the cruise missiles.

After launch Tornadoes can RTB. Other elements will remain aloft until sunset to assist with Deviant and Judas.

Deviant attack - 1500

Bold - Anti-runway
1x Gripen
3x Gripen
Land Standoff Strike (530 nm): 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm) / 8x GBU-39/B SDB (60 nm)
2x Phantoms
DWS.39 AFDS Anti-runway cluster bombs. (2xDWS.39, 2xAMRAAM, DECM Pod, 3x Drop Tank)
2x Phantoms
A/A AMRAAM (150 nm): 4x AIM-2000A (15 nm), 4x AIM-120B AMRAAM (40 nm)
2x Phantoms
Bomb Truck (240 nm): 2x AIM-120B AMRAAM (40 nm), 12x Mk82 500lb LDGP (1 nm), 1x AN/ALQ-119 ECM Pod
2x AMX
Counter-Runway (480 nm, Day Only, Limited All-Weather): 2x AIM-9L Sidewinder (10 nm)*, 2x Durandal (1 nm)
1x Prowler
HARM (550 nm): 1x AGM-88C HARM (70 nm), 4x AN/ALQ-991 ECM Pod

Deploy the prowler, AWACS, and Stratotanker over the lithium mine north of Lubango.

Proceed to attack and disable Lobito airfield. Destroy the FOB west of Caimbambo.

Extra attack - 0200

Audacious - Deep Strike
4x Gripen
2x Mirage
2x German Tornado
Land Standoff Strike (650 nm): 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm), 2x Taurus KEPD 350P (180 nm)
2x Saudi Tornado
Cruise Missile (825 nm): 2x Storm Shadow (215 nm), 2x AIM-2000A (15 nm)
1x Reaper

Fire cruise missiles. Priority order if still standing - southern radar installations, Caimbambo FOB, the military base at Balombo.

Plan Judas

Assess - is there an active enemy radar installation between the Kfirs and our borders? If so, tell them "Good luck assholes" and continue with operations until that's no longer true.

Divert AA elements from any running operations to escort them. Scramble AA Gripens from Lubango and the VC10 at military speed to intercept them. Warn off Free State planes, then fire if they persist.

Once under escort, the Kfirs are to drop all ordinance (into Dictator forces if possible) and proceed to the nearest friendly airbase under escort from the scrambled Gripens. Put a missile in them if they start looking squirrely. Scrambled Gripens will RTB and any active operations will proceed.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 3, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm going to point out again that destroying the Luanda oil refinery will also destroy the nation's fuel reserves. That's a knockout blow for a war - they'll be operating without jet or tank fuel. It doesn't matter what they hire at that point because it'll be stuck in its box. This is a chance to prevent the war from skidding to a halt under endless Lithium funding, and we'll never get a better shot at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Tythas posted:

I would throw out objective Bastion it puts our units way to far out with only one plane on CAP

There's also two Phantoms on CAP and the rest of the Phantoms have it as a secondary.