Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

chiasaur11 posted:

Every letter and one more, for good luck.

And I wouldn't make assumptions about which endings count going forward, considering the Drakengard ending that lead us here.

Nier 3: Based on the ending where 2B ate a fish and died before they found Pascal's Village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Maso presumably from the Queen could also be purified, which IIRC was something that the Shadowlord was doing to keep the shades stable in the runup to Nier 1.

The cleanup was presumably complete or nearly so during the events of the first Nier, though apparently they must not have got it all if the machines came under Watcher influence.

The watchers are apparently harder to get rid of than bedbugs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Renoistic posted:

Then again getting stabbed multiple times doesn't seem to bother him all that much.

I mean, in the first game he gets impaled through the chest and he completely no-sells it by pulling it all the way through himself, including the ridiculous oversized hilt.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"dad nier hosed everything up" wasn't really a rug pull moment for me anyway since it really seemed like everything was hosed to begin with. nier wasn't a game about how the protagonist is actually the bad guy, it's more a game where the perceived bad guys have perfectly legitimate reasons for acting the way they do, just like the perceived good guys

which is good because the latter is a much more nuanced and interesting story than "what if you were actually the bad guy????", though I admit I got bored at the repeated "oh the shades actually have feelings" revelations on run 2

I mean, "Dad Nier just killed all of humanity" isn't something that becomes really known because you don't have a lot of the context of the greater world unless you go seek it out outside of the game. All the stuff about White Chlorination Syndrome and project Gestalt is only really referenced to in the vaguest of ways to you, the player, and never directly mentioned to the characters at all. I'd hardly consider it a rug pull during the events of the game when you only read about it after the game is done and if you choose to seek it out.

I would love to see a new Yoko Taro game that takes place in the gap between Drakenguard E and NieR 1 that documents all the extra dimensional magical X-Com poo poo that happens before Project Gestalt gets underway.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can tell me all you want he wasn't involved with Drakengard 3, I won't believe you! :tinfoil:

Yoko Taro read TDI's Drakengard 1 or Nier LP and talked about it on Twitter, didn't he? It would actually make a strange amount of sense of Yoko Taro internalized some of TDI's personal narration and imported it into Drakengard 3.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ryushikaze posted:

He is absolutely the Shaitan of the party. The C is even supposed to be pronounced like SH. He's on your side, but he is there to test you all the same. He's a great dickish technical good guy.

Isn't he also head and shoulders above everyone else in that game stats-wise? I seem to remember him being ridiculously powerful compared to the others, especially early on.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So was there actually any plot throughline from Xenogears to Xenosaga to Xenoblade or are they completely distinct entities? I vaguely remember zohars being a thing in Xenosaga but I never played past the first game and barely remember it now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

warhammer651 posted:

Yeah, the girls in the red dresses made the machine network seem more like a standard robot overlord faction but this makes them look like the friggin pentagon wars.

Then again, the machines were deliberately setting up for failure, so maybe they wanted to replicate Human R&D and general staff?

The way I read it is that the records that the machines are using to emulate human society (as well as their understanding of human emotion and interaction and desires) are functionally incomplete. They know that people go to to work in offices and try to emulate it, but they don't really know to what end. They know that people are capable of loving each other but when they try to emulate it [THIS CAN NOT CONTINUE]. They bill other machines for power usage but they don't really get or understand money or being paid for labor or anything like that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Ending E is going to be simply magical for anyone who hasn't experienced it yet. Id should just put up a video of it with no context, no subtitles, nothing and then do a "proper" post later.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think the moment that the Ending E sequence got me when I first played it was the moment all the other player's data join you in fighting the credits and the music swells to include a chorus of people singing along with it.

So many people got deleted on my Ending E sequence because it's hard to play a shoot em up while bawling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Omobono posted:

What does the help from other players represent? Other pods giving the middle finger to the bosses and/or the pod network rebelling en masse?

I think pretty much this. The pods are basically stand ins for you, the players. Ending D -> is essentially you as the player saying "Well the game is done, everyone is dead, the robots weren't really defeated so much as the just hosed off. Time to archive the events into the back of my mind and forge- NO gently caress THAT THIS IS BULLSHIT. gently caress what the creators of this whole thing want, I'm going to fight for a happy ending instead." The pods are rebelling against the machinations of the ones who created Project Yorha just as we as the players are rebelling against the machinations of the people who created the game.

I wonder at what point in the development process did Yoko Taro come up with "Shoot em up sequence vs the credits to get the good ending". It would be interesting if he had that in mind from the start and built the hacking minigame around the mechanics knowing how the game was going to end.

• Locked thread