Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Hand Knit posted:

I looked this up because it's weird as hell and apparently Switzerland's proper self-name is the Confederatio Helvetica, thus CHE.

Okay then.
SUI is the code for IOC and FIFA, at least, but I guess NHL is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Porrima posted:

Okay then.
SUI is the code for IOC and FIFA, at least, but I guess NHL is different.

Organizations that are clearly just not as respectful as the NHL.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Maybe... Uh... They can use those picks to get Duchene?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I use the word Switzerland in Helvetica font.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
If one was to compare Islanders trading to fonts, would Helvetica be close?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Bye Travis

We'll always have that moment at the islander prospect game, where me and my now ex sat behind the glass where the isles left the ice. After it wrapped up Hamonic spotted my ex while she was on her phone, eyed her up and down while making a weird Travis Hamonic face, then saw me and gave a thumbs up. That's my Travis Hamonic moment

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/878644041767956481

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fine with me.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Hamonic is in this weird place where advanced stats don't really like him (see that chart posted earlier among many other things) but I do think he out plays those stats some. Nevertheless he's coming off his worst season so I think value wise the return isn't bad.

I'm not gonna fully judge this trade until I see what garth does with the picks, as I feel like he's gonna try and flip them for duchene or another 2c. If it's just this move and nothing else then it's pretty mediocre since the whole point of this off-season is to go big to convince Tavares to re-sign.

Hamonic is still pretty young and on a good contract so I think Calgary will like him

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Porrima posted:

If one was to compare Islanders trading to fonts, would Helvetica be close?

Looking a bit more Comic Sans lately.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

Looking a bit more Comic Sans lately.

Wing Dings

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lehtera has to be getting flipped. Hexy protecting Laughton and shipping out some of Hakstol's lovely toys only to bring in an overpaid 4th line grinder makes no sense.

Giroux-Patrick-Couterier-Flip-Lehtera-Laughton can all play center. Its a logjam at forward

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Bergevin gonna bergevin.

Quote this after the trade is revealed.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Islanders going for the Penguins' now patented "1 good defensive pairing"
Metro is gonna be goals goal goals this season!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

I love the advanced stuff, but the charts without context and explanation are kinda useless. I think this means Stepan wasn't good but I am not sure.

Jordan7hm posted:

Calgary's top 4 is obscene.

e: I can't think of a post cap team with a better top 4. Maybe Detroit when Kronwall was younger / better and they had Lidstrom and Rafalski.
it's great. too bad they're backstopped by Elliot and Smith. What a bleh trade by the Isles. Hamonic was on a great deal too.

Nashville has a rad top 4

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I love the advanced stuff, but the charts without context and explanation are kinda useless. I think this means Stepan wasn't good but I am not sure.

The chart is a visual representation of the different components to how Goals Above Replacement is calculated, since it's a catch-all stat. So Stepan created positive value via EV/PP offence and takeaways to the tune of ~10 goals above replacement, but is negative a goal or two because he's bad at faceoffs. According to that chart he's a positive player.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

THE MACHO MAN posted:

i looked it up so:

penalties drawn/taken
even strength offense/defense
faceoffs

interesting because people were bitching about stepan's faceoffs and the actual negative is he doesn't dive enough

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

it's great. too bad they're backstopped by Elliot and Smith. What a bleh trade by the Isles. Hamonic was on a great deal too.

Nashville has a rad top 4

Elliot's not staying, we'll probably use Gillies or sign a UFA

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

What are the Islanders doing, I wonder?

Also, loving Calgary now.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
remember the time calgary got hamilton and hamonic for draft picks while the oilers gave away a top line scoring winger to free cap space to extend kris russel four ye-:suicide:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thrilled about Hambone, curious how we fill out the corps. Re-sign Stone and call up Rasmus Andersson, maybe?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

fits posted:

remember the time calgary got hamilton and hamonic for draft picks while the oilers gave away a top line scoring winger to free cap space to extend kris russel four ye-:suicide:

At least the Oilers still have a couple of things the Flames don't: The best player in hockey and good goaltending.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hamonic is kinda overrated but still good

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

fits posted:

and also gave away a top line scoring winger to get a second pairing defensemen the year beforeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/878675803789250560

Keep up the good work

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

How is Dorian a NHL GM everything about him seems bad

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
On the plus side, Ken Holland didn't use any draft picks in fictional hockey players

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/ShopTBSports/status/878394898717736961/photo/1

Just noticed no more "tampa bay" on away jerseys.

Off-season saved.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

On the plus side, Ken Holland didn't use any draft picks in fictional hockey players

So, dumbest GM in the league - Dorion or Holland?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

grack posted:

So, dumbest GM in the league - Dorion or Holland?

chiarelli

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Wait Jim Benning is no longer the defacto worst GM in the league but is only a very strong contender?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I also tried to make a trade today. I reached for my phone, but then I realized I don't have any GMs phone number and I don't have any players under contract to trade.

I should get an A+ too

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lindy Ruff knows how to coach defense?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ginette Reno posted:

Lindy Ruff knows how to coach defense?

I always thought the big knock on him was his forward deployment/incessant line juggling? His teams have usually been defensively responsible.

Honestly if he has the balls to shove Staal on the third pair and give him less than 15 mins a game I don't give a poo poo about his past. Beuk wasn't great.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I tried to trade Ken Holland to the country of Zambia for a coffee farm, it did not work

A+ for me

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ooh, strong write-in candidate.

Wippersnapper posted:

Wait Jim Benning is no longer the defacto worst GM in the league but is only a very strong contender?

Jim Benning hasn't done anything egregiously stupid lately. On the other hand,

Dorion: Could have traded Methot prior to the expansion draft but decided not to and lose him for no return.
Chiarelli: Traded Eberle to make cap space to sign Kris Russell to a 4x4 deal
Rutherford: Traded Sundqvist and a 1st round pick to St. Louis for Ryan Reaves and a 2nd round pick
Holland: Went way off the board for a pick, left Mrazek exposed in the expansion draft and Red Wings beat writers wrote hit pieces on him. Of course, Mrazek wasn't actually picked so that relationship was poisoned for basically no reason.

So yeah, some pretty strong candidates out there right now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah Beuk is getting blamed for Smith and Skjei getting "lost" on the bench after being the best pairing in the playoffs. Fell back on the vets heavily, Rangers said they wanted more experience. Wonder if it's meant to push AV at all as well

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

grack posted:

Ooh, strong write-in candidate.

Jim Benning hasn't done anything egregiously stupid lately. On the other hand,

Dorion: Could have traded Methot prior to the expansion draft but decided not to and lose him for no return.
Chiarelli: Traded Eberle to make cap space to sign Kris Russell to a 4x4 deal
Rutherford: Traded Sundqvist and a 1st round pick to St. Louis for Ryan Reaves and a 2nd round pick
Holland: Went way off the board for a pick, left Mrazek exposed in the expansion draft and Red Wings beat writers wrote hit pieces on him. Of course, Mrazek wasn't actually picked so that relationship was poisoned for basically no reason.

So yeah, some pretty strong candidates out there right now.

You can throw Joe Sakic (even though he's not done anything recently, Avs are still bad), George McPhee (bad picks during the expansion draft, like Sbisa and Emelin) and Dale Tallon (gave away Marchessault and Reilly Smith for nothing) in there as well.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gorton for the Stepan trade? Might not have had the most amazing draft but ultimately seems OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/878696697978916864

I think I might like Ryan Reaves

• Locked thread