Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WadeBartender posted:

Bobby Roode should probably be a midcarder instead of your main guy because he's perfectly adequate but something about him doesn't lend to 20 minute main events

Well I think he's pretty clearly a transitional champ. For whom I'm not entirely certain but there are plenty of good options with Nakamura gone. Black, Ohno or Drew are probably most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Well I think he's pretty clearly a transitional champ. For whom I'm not entirely certain but there are plenty of good options with Nakamura gone. Black, Ohno or Drew are probably most likely.

Those are all pretty good picks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Only saw the last 2 matches, thought both were good but not beyond the usually real good NXT main events

Show of the year? Wrestle Kingdom was this year....

Wrestlekingdom is too long and the first half of it was pretty boring IMO

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

sportsgenius86 posted:

Show of the year so far

*thinking*

a faint voice is heard...

six stars...

*thinking*

Ok I see that I needed to post this sooner, but you could literally just take the last 4 matches of WK and it shits on any show WWE has done since probably like Mania 30.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

Show of the year so far

someone didn't watch Joey Janela's spring break

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hot take: I watched Okada/Omega and yes it was a 5 star match but I don't "get" the 6 stars thing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's a personal taste thing. The last four matches of WK are amazing but if you're gonna make the show that long I'm gonna judge it as a complete event.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was busy so I couldn't watch live. Just finished the Tag match.

HOLY

gently caress

THAT
WAS
AMAZING
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Even though I still haven't technically watched all of WK11 (it is too long), this show was not as good as any given PWG show so I cant say show of the year

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Hot take: I watched Okada/Omega and yes it was a 5 star match but I don't "get" the 6 stars thing.

There's nothing to get. It's one guys ratings that people put too much stake in.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

at times i don't like david's stars. i have stars as well folks. And They're good

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cavauro posted:

at times i don't like david's stars.

You Ron or Don?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Where's the goon who gives his #BOOTY ratings, that's the only system I care about

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Where's the goon who gives his #BOOTY ratings, that's the only system I care about

I was with friends and watched some later. The Tag Match was #BOOTY+

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It should be Tye

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I didn't really like the show until the tag team title match but after that it was pretty darn good, and managed to keep the Takeover streak alive of me feeling bad I only watch NXT every other big show, if that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

You Ron or Don?

lol

but also, ron don volante

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

WadeBartender posted:

Bobby Roode should probably be a midcarder instead of your main guy because he's perfectly adequate but something about him doesn't lend to 20 minute main events

He's a 40something competing with 20 and 30 somethings. Age gets to you.

Also, what are they doing with Sanity? Is their schick recruiting people and then beating them up when they refuse?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The tag-team match was amazing but a great spot I think would have added to the drama was AoP getting their finisher off Ciampa and Johnny being on the other side of the ring and held back by one Author, and when the Ref is about to count to 3, The Revival pull the referee out. As much as I love The Revival, I think it would have been much better to have them eliminated first because they're not really a babyface fire team and after #DIY were out, they didn't even really try and cheat or use their tag-team tactics against AoP, they kind of just slowly lost like kinda babyface guys with little heat because DIY were so much more over.

Asuka/Ember Moon was a great showcase of Asuka's natural in-ring charisma and how hard Ember Moon works for a match. Asuka using the referee to escape The Eclipse and then playfully acting like she did nothing wrong was such good character work. Ember has a bit more room to grow, and if Hojo/Shirai really are coming in soon she could learn a lot from both of them.

The SAnitY 8-person match was much better than I expected. Since Bray Wyatt no longer has a family anymore I could see them going to Smackdown and targeting him and pushing him to turn babyface + Wyatt family reunion.

I really wish 205 Live were packaged with NXT instead of RAW, because I'd love to see a Cruiserweight match on NXT Takeover events, having to slow it down for the main roster style is really hurting a lot of them and taking away a lot of what made most of them great before they were signed. Beyond that having them put on a flippy match every episode of NXT would probably make it worth watching because the show now feels like 3 months of filler between Takeover shows.

Hideo Itami has been in NXT two loving years and it feels like he's been injured for the entire duration. I really hope he finds some footing soon because he debuted before Finn Balor who's already a WWE Champion.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Tag match was good but after DIY got eliminated it pretty much took all the air out of the match for me. Typical poo poo WWE booking. Had they been able to keep the momentum going it would have been amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Whoever gave Corbin that "most metal athlete" award needs to see Aleister Black and immediately reconsider. That ruled. :black101:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

RealFoxy posted:

Hideo Itami has been in NXT two loving years and it feels like he's been injured for the entire duration. I really hope he finds some footing soon because he debuted before Finn Balor who's already a WWE Champion.

He's dogshit and will probably just get released anyway.

Takeover was really good but the "worst" match was probably the main. I like Nakamura but literally every long singles match he is in involves:

-10 minutes of offence
-he get's hit in the knee for 10 minutes and rolls around holding it for 5 minutes
-he completely forgets about his injured knee and we move on to the finish.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i like how nigel always sounds like he's kinda trying to make himself heard over the crowd, makes him seem legit and part of the action

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

spudsbuckley posted:

Takeover was really good but the "worst" match was probably the main. I like Nakamura but literally every long singles match he is in involves:

-10 minutes of offence
-he get's hit in the knee for 10 minutes and rolls around holding it for 5 minutes

That's only been the Roode matches and he didn't forget about it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was a handful of beers in during the main and ended up falling asleep before the end of the match, oops. Just finished watching it, and it was good but not great. I'unno, there's something about Roode's "methodical" style that doesn't seem very threatening or even all that heelish. The Revival does similar things but they feel snappier or more assholish, for instance. Roode just gives me that Orton vibe, y'know? Work really slow to get heat, except it's so slow you're dominating the match for long stretches of time instead of cutting off babyface comebacks or piling on the damage/going for your finisher. By the way, he's a guy that would benefit from having an actual submission finisher. Even then, the match was good when it picked up, Nakamura kicks are the spice of life and some of Roode's counters were pretty fun.

Anyway, this is yet another year where Takeover beats Wrestlemania, if only because it's more concise. Mixed tag was fun, Cien/Black was a pretty solid brawling match, tag title match was MOTYC because apparently DIY/Revival won't stop having MOTYCs together, Asuka/Moon was a very good match that kinda lost a bit of its luster by following a 5* match IMHO, and Nakamura/Roode was still solid despite my criticisms and it following the Epic Title Match format. Nakamura is so debuting on the main roster next week.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

spudsbuckley posted:

-10 minutes of offence

That's the 2 matches where they worked a storyline about his bad knee.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I honestly think that was the best of the DIY/Revival matches. Holy hell what a match.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

spudsbuckley posted:

-10 minutes of offence

That's probably because it's completely unrealistic for him to have an even match and then lose clean to Bobby Roode so they have to do a dumb injury angle.

Why you would then do a rematch instead of just sending him to the main show though..

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Why you would then do a rematch instead of just sending him to the main show though..

Probably because you need a name bigger than Roode to end your Wrestlemania Takeover.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I really loved Nigels announcing style. It gives the whole thing a old school sports announcing vibe.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Optimist with doubt posted:

I really loved Nigels announcing style. It gives the whole thing a old school sports announcing vibe.

I always liked his work in ROH for that reason which is why it was shocking to see him get signed to a company that hates that announcing style. I particularly like when he clearly lays out the best strategy for someone to take and criticizes what he perceives as errors in the gameplan. It's just not something you see from WWE announcers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I always liked his work in ROH for that reason which is why it was shocking to see him get signed to a company that hates that announcing style. I particularly like when he clearly lays out the best strategy for someone to take and criticizes what he perceives as errors in the gameplan. It's just not something you see from WWE announcers.
It's crazy how much it helps your suspension of disbelief to hear it called like a legit competition

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Was at the show. That ruled. Best event I've ever been to for the tag match alone. Beautiful.

Also the momentum swings in the main event made the audience really tense

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

a new study bible! posted:

Probably because you need a name bigger than Roode to end your Wrestlemania Takeover.

Yeah but it would have sold out with The Drifter vs Oney Lorcan on top

• Locked thread