Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i’ve literally never had a problem with the goonstation admins.

They're decent enough these days but there are a lot of really loving bad admins in the history of this server. Some legendary ones were before my time and I was really only the direct target of bad adminry one time but there was plenty of it going around. There was a rather long period of time where playing security felt less like trying to actually be a security officer and more like trying to avoid overstepping the poorly defined and seemingly arbitrary boundaries in a way that would offend whatever invisible deity was currently stalking you. Admins would have favourite players to whom the rules only sort of applied. This I know for a fact because to at least 1 admin I was(and this was explicitly stated to me) one of these players and I got away with doing basically whatever I wanted so long as I only occasionally murdered people and, even in the event that I would just murder a guy in cold blood, I would receive only a gentle warning. If you weren't one of these golden players to any of the currently present admins then if you committed any similar antics or fought back too robustly against one of the favoured players as he beat you unconscious with a blunt object to steal all of your poo poo they would come down on you like a tonne of bricks. This was usually explained as being the "it's okay if it's funny" rule but a lot of the time, what the favourites were doing was not particularly funny.

On a similar note, admins would frequently blow up rounds and gently caress with people. Sometimes this was actually hilarious and produced some of people's favourite rounds, because the admins who did it were genuinely funny people who actually put effort into making poo poo entertaining. Other times, if you had, say, rolled traitor for the first time in 2 months and an admin decided it would be funny to teleport everyone into the crusher, it could be difficult to find the humour. This was back before the antag token system so there was no real recourse when this happened other than to hope the admin stuck around long enough for the next round to start so you could beg them to make you traitor again. At one point an admin was deadminned for doing gimmicks too often and I remember thinking at the time, though the exact circumstances have slipped my minds, that I had actually really enjoyed their gimmick rounds and other people seem to have been engaged with them, too, whereas the admins doing the removal mostly just seemed to do poo poo like get drunk and mash the "butt explosion" command until everyone died and then insult people who complained about it. I can also remember a particular admin who I believe was never deadminned(or if so, only for inactivity), who would routinely force roll HoS and then just be unbelievably awful at it and basically go out of their way to do everything anyone else would have been banned immediately for doing. This weird combination of strict yet badly explained rules which were constantly ignored and broken by the admins and people they liked made them game seem actively hostile to new players, which I think might go a ways to explain the declining server population. It turned new players off. It almost turned me off when I started playing. SS13 is already a clunky, dense, and extremely complicated game. It needed all the help it could get in terms of player acquisition. Now, this has all improved drastically, partly through what I understand to be active efforts by the current admins and partly just because most of the really bad admins got bored and hosed off on their own. But for a long period of time, when people bitched about goon admins being bad, they had a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

As a funny joke, if you manage to get into the AI control room as a non-traitor, give it an innocuous law that it isn't allowed to state under any circumstances and watch people trip over themselves in their rush to reset the rogue AI. Bonus points if the law specifies that you, specifically, aren't human and need to be killed so that when they burst in to reset it they find your smoking corpse in the foyer and spend like 10 minutes planning their assault on the totally harmless AI as it tries to convince them that everything's fine.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Unhappy Meal posted:

Sometimes you get, "You are Lawyer Robert Shapiro and must defend X during his trial." etc, and just have to shrug and ignore it if you have zero clue how to even begin with that.

One time I got an AI law that was something along the lines of "you are an old man, regale the crew with stories of your youth". The round lasted for 2 hours and at the end of it the station was a burnt out hulk containing a handful of weary survivors and me, rambling away at them with the grim determination of someone who has spent 119 minutes on a gimmick and isn't going to abandon it until it's over. I was surprised that they didn't come and disable me after 5 minutes of sustained inanity let alone 100.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Goonstation has always been a lot more like Lord of the Flies than the Stanford Prison Experiment imo.

ss13 is what would have happened if, halfway through the stanford prison experiment, the researchers had handed out guns to all the prisoners without telling the guards

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TheDK posted:

I tried to learn how to engine and accidentally started an impressive plasma fire which consumed the entirety of engineering and most of the nearby maintenance tunnel.

Then a helpful mechanic assisted in repairing and rebuilding everything and I got the engine up and running again.

as long as the power is flowing, fatalities are irrelevant

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

without the commentary I wouldn't have been able to distinguish this medbay from the normal one

with 6 years of medical school you will learn the slight differences between fight blood and doctoring blood

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I remember the original head of the gooncorp in GriefMOO was an SS13 admin. He was later overthrown by a coup because he blew all the corporation's money buying planes and then crashing them, since he failed to realize that replacing his hands with giant monster claws had tanked his piloting skill.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

What's the general etiquette for assistants finding stuff to do? I don't wanna spam the radio and go "Who needs a dangerously incompetent newbie to help out," should I just wander around until I see something interesting, then ask if they need a hand?

your actual job is to be a petty criminal and nuisance when things are fine and to die unpleasantly as soon as something goes wrong. The role of the assistant is so that, when the detective finds a radioactive corpse he doesn't 100% know it wasn't an accident.

basically go grab a set of tools and go around stealing things, making ill-advised modifications to the station architecture, and get really high

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AGGGGH BEES posted:

So, Apophis, the host of the largest server, Colonial Marines, was recently outed as a pedo. Incidentially he's also a teacher. :froggonk:

CM seems to have ejected him pretty quickly after this

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

last time I played colonial marines I got yelled at by the admins because someone managed to detach the Requisition Officer's "Next!" Button from the wall and I ran off with and started mashing it, not realizing that in addition to shouting "Next!" it also violently catapulted people from the req line.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So the current horrible thing is an SS13 server called Lebensraum Alpha where you can play as an SS soldier or Soviet POW. Oh and SS soldiers can kill you whenever they want.

I dunno maybe a game about escaping from a POW camp could be fun, get some Great Escape vibes going and

oh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

monolithburger posted:

Wheelchairs are a thing now!

Rocket shoes are incompatible, however.

Did you guys just lift those from the CM code leak?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ah, it sounded like they'd just been added and I knew they'd had them for a while.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

'
i can hear the server screaming

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pacra posted:

A very long time ago, I made it so the captain's space suit gave moderately better run speed. With sealab change I'm sure it's no longer present but I wonder if anyone noticed that it was there.

definitely, I stole it every round and used it as my go-to crime suit

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

there is a resprited flour bag for the maeachtacho man that is just a big sack of cocaine he can shove his face into, I don't remember what it actually does and I don't think I ever saw it outside of sandbox mode spawning it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Goast posted:

but your round isn't over

indeed, it has only just begun

bring back the random mindswap mutation, by the way, it was the best

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nerve gas grenade in the syndicate shuttle by accident.

accidentally eating your cyanide pill and having your microbomb set off a chain reaction which blows up all the pods just as the team is boarding them

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

Until they hit the grizzled veteran stage where they bring them anyway just to gently caress everything up un a fun way

professional syndies take the sarin grenades and leave them lying around in a hallway for a staff assistant to find

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I was made admin once. There are so many menus and most of them do anything and I accidentally pressed a button that made a robot lady chant BENJU KAZOOEY METAL GEAR SOLID THREE SNAKE EATER JET FORCE GEMINI over and over and none of the admins could make it stop and then it turned out I accidentally made 100 invisible yetis spawn in escape and I accidentally replaced the shuttle with a picture of a frog and they don't give full admin rights to random people any more

the only time I ever got made tempmin they only me and the other guy enough power to terrorize a poor botanist by repeatedly teleporting to him and rainbow gibbing ourselves

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Inadequately posted:

A story from the CM server about the new players:

"2 doctors clubbing a marine on the operating table with anesthetic tanks. The CE comes in to ask them what they're doing("we're operating"), which gives the poor marine the chance to get up and limp to safety. Seeing that their patient has escaped, one of the two doctors, without missing a beat, tables the other one, knocks him out, and starts carving his foot off with a combat knife."

Oh hey, I posted that. Here's an extra fun detail: the doctor who had his foot carved off proceeded to get up and continue wandering around medbay trying to operate on people for another 15 minutes before collapsing from bloodloss because he never sealed off his stump.

Also in one of the other operating rooms there was a fully nude marine covered in bleeding lacerations because a doctor had opened an incision on each of his body parts without anesthetic and then gotten bored and wandered off. He couldn't get out because his ID had been taken and the privacy shutters were down so nobody could see that he was in there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Riatsala posted:

One of the best/worst parts of the recent influx are the Dunning-Krueger marines that jump into SL, SO, Doctor, etc as soon as they figure out how to opt into roles.

Meanwhile, me and my inferiority complex took 3 months to try out smart gunner :(

A guy got BE'd because he chose Executive Officer in his first ever round. He put on a suit of armour and the Captain told him to take it off. When he asked him how to take armour off the Captain just pulled his revolver and shot him in the face.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Slashrat posted:

I think averaged at least one incident per round when I was doctoring on CM where I would have been justified in forcibly sedating some obnoxious marine, if not outright shooting them in the head.

you can get soporific injectors from the med vendors for this reason

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

So, funny story. The deep fryer lets you, or at least used to let you deep fry anything. And you used to be able to pump yourself chock full of whatever chemicals you wanted. The net bug that this resulted in was, if you pumped yourself full of enough of the right healing chems, you could suicide next to the fryer and deep fry yourself into a piece of edible food. Another person could then eat you. Now, when that happens, the game would sort of put your player into a weird state of existing-but-not-existing, where your body didn't exist, but things could still happen to you. Like, you know, those massive amounts of healing chems bringing you back to life. Overall, this wasn't that big of a thing though, because your body didn't exist, right? So throw in another bug, where if the person that ate you had their body be destroyed, then that triggered... something that I'm honestly not still 100% sure on, which caused your living, breathing body to respawn in the other guy's place.

All of this was found out by accident over the course of several weeks, and culminated in a syndie round where the team of syndies broke into the kitchen and deep fried all but one member, who ate all of the rest of them. That lone syndie then disguised himself, hunted down the captain, got him in a room alone, and shoved a chainsaw into his own chest, gibbing him and releasing half a dozen other fully armed and armored syndicate team members like Pennywise's hosed up, meaty clown car.

there was at least one round where the opposite happened, and the nuclear disk was buried seven layers of fried assistant deep

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

yeah ok like what

different gas mixtures have different effects on people who breathe them, a whole range of gas science based on getting the right precise ratios of various science gasses to produce various beneficial or detrimental effects, etc.

if you can turn a machine that makes meatloaf into a well of deep and forbidden science, you can do it to atmos

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

maybe it was a joke

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bring back old mining with its own z-level and station

the mineral magnet version of mining sucks and has always sucked

also make erebite a common ore again

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Inadequately posted:

The dedicated mining station already exists in the debris field, and the mining z-level has been reinstated ages ago.

yes, so none of the old arguments about just putting the station back on that z-level and the miners in that station hold water anymore

bring back old mining

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nalesh posted:

I still need to figure out how to not have the loving pipes burst every time I do engine stuff.

there are two strategies

a: keep the pressure down and avoid starting a pipe fire by not running O2/Plasma mix through them

b: run O2/Plasma through them, start the biggest fire known to man, close all the releases and get the pressure so high that even after every pipe has blown the pressure keeps going up

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

one of my favorite traitor things is to play angry, totally self absorbed geneticist straight but I reroute the disposal pipe into the crusher first

i like to wall off the airbridge and set up a flusher that you can put money into to shoot you to the other side, like a toll booth

on traitor rounds I reroute it to the crusher so that people pay to kill themselves

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Isaac posted:

The trick to getting arrested is call out on the radio that you're being beaten to death then cuff-flip into crit and hope the officer loses their job

get thrown in the brig, burn yourself into crit by rubbing the lightbulb 100 times when nobody's looking, tell the HOS that the guy who arrested you beat the poo poo out of you

works every time

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

alternatively don't gently caress a bunch of poo poo up by arbitrarily making the shuttle impossible to recall when ghosts become antsy and instead leave things the way they have been for over a decade

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

coldpudding posted:

how about this for a radio host traitor item.

The syndicate record press, crush crew members into exciting new playable records(record may take some time to press), totally not just a modified Stomper Unit stolen from oshan,

12 crystals for a syndicate Hypnorecord. Once inserted into the record player all PDAs, radio headsets, intercoms, etc. will begin broadcasting a hypnotic tune which, if listened to long enough, will have basically the same effect on people as Raj and make them lose control. The radio host is immune to it.

I think it'd be fun. Really disruptive and powerful, but also takes all your crystals and it requires you to be in a specific location so the crew can put together an A-team of deaf commandos to come beat your rear end.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

which seems reasonably more doable

it's not

ss13 is like a coelacanth: an ancient creature that lives in a strange, hostile environment and dies instantly as soon as you try to remove it from that, and which came into existence through eons of unguided and opaque evolutionary processes which are impossible to intentionally recreate

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

what you are suggesting is to essentially recreate byond and then hope someone makes SS13 again in it

while it is possible that this might work, in much the same way that building an ocean and dumping some amino acids into it might theoretically result in fish, it has the main problem that a lot of ss13 remakes have: nobody wants to wait that long when they could go get a fish right now. no one wants to play stripped down SS13 when regular ss13 is around, and remaking it in a way that isn't stripped down is functionally impossible, so even if you completed it people would just carry on with what they've already been doing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

Honestly the only good thing about goon is the rules and the community.

The secrets and weirdo changes like nerfed thermals, no lasers in the armory, critical condition not just knocking you the gently caress out, are kinda lame. But when it's the only server where people aren't playing as le ironic nazis or edgy racial stereotypes, beggers can't be choosers.

Most other code bases would be cool if you purged the furshit from them.

nerfed thermals is great, gently caress thermals

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Doesnt chemistry generally just explode at the beginning of the round or am I thinking something else

toxins explodes at the start of the round

chemistry explodes somewhere around 15 minutes in

engineering explodes around 30 minutes in

genetics explodes around 35 minutes in

hydroponics explodes around 45 minutes in

mining is a wild card and can explode at any point

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if it's still true but back in the day medical would get exploded like 90% of the time

medbay starts exploded

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

Mentorhelp:
You're my assassination target. Good loving luck, scrub.

Mentors, what do YOU do??

i once taught a guy how to make a horrible poison mix and then upon realizing that he had swiped the beaker and sleepypenned it all into me the only emotion i felt was pride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nine of Eight posted:

Turns out before monkey murder AI was a thing with enough patience you could break reinforced glass by throwing a monkey at it.
you can still do this you just need to successfully kill a room full of enraged monkeys with your bare hands first