Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
So I was bored and died fairly early in a goonstation run when I evad and couldn't find my way back inside, so I made the mistake of joining another random server.

First mistake, I didn't read the rules. If I had, I would have learned these guys played with very few antags because they'd modded the station to be extra deadly. But rules are for noobs. I joined as some kind of assistant equivalent, something called civilian. So I did what I always do, I durdled around, and very quickly noticed this was a NO FUN zone. If you wanted access to things, you had to fill out paperwork, if you wanted to do anything at all, you needed permission, and security was running around arresting people for the stupidest poo poo. Worse, what felt like every 5 minutes "FTL" would trigger and knock you over, annoying as gently caress. So I decided I was going to turn FTL off.

I figured FTL would be somewhere in engineering, so I skulked around maintenance with my trusty tools, (which I had gotten by wandering into the security area and just grabbing a toolbox when security was off arresting someone for littering or some poo poo), luck was in my favor, there'd been some nature of engineering thing go down and all the engineers left, so when I forced the door, there was no one there. So I waltzed over to the console, and found there were controls for the FTL, shields and weapons. I just set them all to 0. And for good measure smashed the console a bunch with my toolbox.

My next mistake was not just leaving then, as almost immediately engineering showed up (as I was trying to break open the gravity generator), they surrounded me until security showed up, and dragged me off, I resisted by calling security all kinds of names, but it was futile. Just as I arrive in security, however, all hell breaks loose, I'm hit with a missile that breaks through security, killing me and the guy arresting me instantly. Pandemonium ensues as fire roars across the ship, explosions everywhere, while engineering screams about the shields being down. Yeah. It turns out that shields were kind of important. At this point, I assume I'm booted from the server, as I disconnect and can't reconnect anymore.

But that's how I torpedoed an entire round by trying to stop a minor annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

Did Cogwerks get SA banned? For what?

I have no relation to Cogwerks, despite the similar name.

EDIT: According to his profile he's not banned.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can never seem to last more than 3 minutes as a Traitor :( This time I spawned a Sleepy Pen and an ID cloner. Someone walked up to me and slept me with it as soon as I spawned it, the Detective came along, confiscated my PDA, and threw me out the nearest airlock. :rip:

As traitor I decided to re-program the AI, spawned Emag, broke into AI no problem, and emaged the turret control so the turret wouldn't kill me. Turns out that makes them automatically hostile to everyone. Ran away wounded, got caught by security, got locked up.

Traitoring is hard.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Both IIRC - the gas in the hot loop expands as it gets hotter, which creates more pressure over time and can burst the pipes. If it gets hot enough and has any oxygen in it, it'll ignite, which spikes the temperature and greatly accelerates the pace at which it expands. This is usually why seemingly fine pipes suddenly blow the gently caress up and bathe the area in fire.
What's the ideal gas for the hot loop? I've been using plasma, but it sounds like i should use a little O2 maybe too?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I've definetely run into the situation where my hot loop keeps getting hotter and my power rises for a bit as the temperature increases and then drops as the pressure differential between the hot and cold loop gets too high, and I've only been able to temporarily styme it with some venting.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

THe best thing is when one of the objects the spy_thief list wants is someone's severed limb!

As a spy thief I once went to surgery to chop my own arm off and turn it in. Unfortunately I wound up having to preform adhock surgery on someone who'd been assaulted by a monkey with a staple gun. By the time I'd started to figure out how to remove my arm another spy found me and tried to feed me into the enzyme reclaimer. Basically yes, spy rounds are fun

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

I've tried this with no success. I guess what I'm basically asking is what indicates "success, you can now prybar this door!" I know bolts down is a fail and electrified is a fail.

Test light is off

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

This guide has been my bible in learning packet stuff. Thanks for writing it.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

The 13th of every month is rear end-day or whatever, where the usual rules are lifted and everyone goes on murder sprees. Just don't play on the 13th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

In a project where you’re not getting paid, it’s a community effort, and anyone can add to it I just don’t get the concept of fiercely protecting it like it’s your own. If people were making cash off it it would make a lot more sense.

This is definitely a pattern I've seen before. You're not being paid in cash, so instead the reward system is status, and power (in this case access to secrets). How can you tell how to respect? Those who have been initiated and know secrets! Not trying to bash the project since I really like SS13, but its the same thing that makes community moderation and cults work.