Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
One time, a botanist left a huge pile of explosive watermelons in the bar. A small crowd gathered around it, talking about how dumb the botanists were and how no one would fall for that when an NPC mouse walked up and ate one.

There were no survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Communist Q posted:

In a class act, after the town hall, the admins opened up a portal to centcomm to show off the deleted offices in centcomm. If you're going to say people aren't replacable cogs, why straight up delete ex-admins personalized offices? It was one of the places dedicated to them, and it just felt spiteful to straight up delete their offices and then show it off.

The official admin stance:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

there's a lot you don't know about that too, and it's mostly a joke anyway.

we're trying to reorganize the management of the server to be transparent and less prone to mistakes and misunderstandings.

give us a bit.

You can say that, but for all the ‘transparency’, this is the closest thing to an Official Admin Statement about the removed offices (aside from the one that went ‘sure hope some of those people stay gone’).

Putting aside everyone’s political affiliations for a bit (which I understand can be difficult to do in the current situation), the main reason I’m apprehensive at this point is that the remaining admin team hasn’t shown a whole lot of effective leadership or administration in this crisis. There has been a whole lot of jumping down people’s throats, taking everyone’s words in the worst possible light, pulling out ancient arguments to relitigate and ‘my-way-or-the-highway’ declarations - behavior which led to the current crisis, and shows no signs of abating even amongst people who by and large 100% agree with each other’s politics.

Just a few hours ago we had an admin loudly declare that they were going to continue using the general channel to soapbox about issues other players had mentioned traumatized them and gave them anxiety, because otherwise we’d be all brainwashed sheeple(?) and when people went to the other channels for discussion, Mordent showed up and declared that there were to be no topics discussed that weren’t approved by them, entirely on the basis of ‘I’m the admin here, and my opinion thus holds more weight than anyone else’s. I will brook no argument about this, because your opinions do not matter’ (barely paraphrasing here).

Do I feel like the current admin team who stayed on have the capability to be effective administrators? More or less (with some Notable Exceptions). Have they demonstrated a lot of it recently? No.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The situation is significantly more complicated than 'some Nazi admins were chased out of the server, a few others left because they were also pro-Nazi, and the fact that a good chunk of the remainder is still upset by the current situation shows that Goonstation is by and large cryptofascist at heart', and anyone actively propagating that viewpoint is oversimplifying it to the point of gross parody.

That said, if you don't believe that, I can't really blame you, because the current administration has not exactly done a great job of clarifying what's been going on and tends to explode into a storm of bitter recriminations whenever the subject is broached. The fact that this ended up becoming the prevailing narrative is just emblematic of the communication issues in the admin team that caused this mess, and shows no sign of abating.

(To be clear, it is 100% a good thing that certain people who have expressed reprehensible views are no longer part of the Goonstation administration team, but seeing as how they left, there's not really all that much left to discuss about them except 'How did they get to that position in the first place?' which is by and large a solved question - they coded well and/or got along with players, made friends with the existing admins and kept their views to themselves right up until the day they didn't.)

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I get where the admins are coming from - you really don't want to make the conversation about one particular player who isn't technically breaking any rules, so you try to stamp out that kind of talk.

The issue is that they bend over way backwards to course-correct, which even to someone unfamiliar with the context, looks a lot like the admins are going out of their way to coddle and accommodate this one particular person. There have been pretty much daily conversation in which admins will yell 'stop being so horrible and toxic, you mean rampage victims, have you considered getting good at the game' while literally going at the same time 'yes, rampage man, your suggestions for changing these weapons are very reasonable, I see no issue with letting you code all the weapons that you use to kill people with on a nightly basis'.

As a result, when the dude rampages, people just throw up their hands and go 'why bother, he's the Golden Boy and can do no wrong, even complaining about him gets us banned for being toxic'.

I don't even have that much against the guy myself, but it's absolutely wild that the admins not only don't realize how much it looks like they're going out of their way to favor this guy, but are absolutely flabbergasted at the mere suggestion and confused about how people ever got that particular impression.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

UrsulaMajor posted:

monolithburger, there's a reason why I quoted a specific part of that post; I was specifically talking about the idea of there being favoritism or something underhanded going on with respect to coding contributions, which is demonstrably false. I'm confused because I have no idea where that idea has come from.

It's a bit harder to examine the discord arguments between players about the issue, but at least in the case of the public repo we can literally open up the history and prove that nothing out of the ordinary has occurred

Regardless of what exactly it is that he's implementing, do you really not see how it looks when the admins are going 'Shut the gently caress up, we don't care about you as a player or a person, if you died to him that's your fault, now keep quiet so we can listen to his valuable suggestions on balancing traitor weapons'?

At this point, I don't think the issue is even that this one particular guy is rampaging, it's that the admin response to any conversation about it is to immediately leap to his defense and go 'this guy is provably not doing anything wrong' (seen even in this particular chat) with no regards for the feelings of any one else, a fact that even people entirely uninitiated in the actual conflict can easily pick up on.

Heck, they won't even concede the possibility that this guy's attitude/playstyle could be driving people away from the game, constantly going 'there's no actual data on that, and we also can't gather actual data on that because polling the playerbase about it would be Rude', even though the topic comes up practically daily.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 25, 2020

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
^ I was trying to avoid getting to the point where actual logs from the relevant conversations were being pulled, but I suppose I've been beaten to that.

Anyway, I feel like you've misinterpreted my point and/or are confusing me with other posters in this chat. To clarify, I do not think this guy is coding himself secret advantages to rampage better. I don't even think that the dude using every antag round to wipe the station as quickly as possible is a problem that needs to be dealt with by admins.

What I do take issue with, as can be clearly seen in the logs above, is that whenever the topic comes up, the admins respond with a collective eye-roll and their pick of 'wow I can't believe you guys are still having a problem with this'/'players nowadays aren't putting enough effort to defend themselves, they deserve this'/'shut up about this guy already'.

Again, I don't actually think that the guy is being shown any particular favoritism by the admins. It's just that it feels a lot like he is a lot of the time, and the admins aren't doing a lot to disabuse people of that notion because they take even the suggestion of such as a personal attack on them.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's kind of neat to see how this conversation evolves in a space not dominated by Goon admins. It's fairly refreshing to have the issue discussed openly without admins shouting everyone down, going 'no it's not a problem, you're the problem' and eventually just going 'shut up about this or else'. (Granted, that doesn't mean they haven't tried.) I doubt it'll lead to a solution, but it's nice to have the issue acknowledged as an actual problem instead of being immediately told 'no it's not, drop the subject'.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The problem with old nuke was that people figured out the best strategy for a nuke op was dashing to the station immediately, blowing up the cap with a rocket launcher before roundstart lag wore off, and collecting the disk from the smoking remains. If it worked and an op pulled it off, the round ended in a minute and no one had fun except the one guy speedrunning it, since the station and the rest of the ops didn't get to play a fun nuke round. More often than not, it just resulted in a tangled mess of a round where every op grabbed as much stuff as they could and then launched themselves at the station as fast as possible, all in an effort to be 'that guy'.

Say what you will about nuke rounds as they currently exist, but at the very least they enforce some modicum of teamwork among the nuke ops.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

T-man posted:

Except sec. Read the wiki for security rounds.

The adherence to Space Law/common sense on sec seems to have only fallen.

tproc posted:

if anything sec is too lax these days. shitcurity was a false problem. now people can break into the bridge and not even get arrested.

Both of these stem from the same issue. The old robust sec players who cracked down hard on that kind of thing realized long ago it was way more fun to be on the other side - putting a foot wrong as a sec officer resulted in admins breathing down your neck, but as a greytiding assistant you could loot the armory, have the run of the station and turn vigilante against antags as necessary with way less admin intervention when you beat and space the clown for lubing up the floor. Since the most robust people always trended this way, anyone less dedicated to the game quickly gave up on playing sec - there was no point even trying to contain these people, and if there was a true threat they'd rise to the occasion anyway. As a result, sec is now staffed by clueless new players who are quite happy to inflict violence, but have no idea what they should and shouldn't be cracking down on, and don't actually have the fighting skills necessary to take on anyone even remotely skilled at combat - so they'll be quite happy to spend the round dragging random assistants into sec, accusing them of random crimes and beating them to death, but telling them about the nuke team in the cafeteria just gets you blank stares before they beat you to death for wasting their time.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Well, if anyone wants to know the current state of the game, there's now a five page argument debating the removal of piss, with most of the admins either chiming in for its removal or shutting down people arguing against its removal.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Admin opinions as of page 5, when I posted that:

"Yes, I want it gone" x 2
"I don't care" X 2
"The people supporting piss are leaning very hard on slippery slope arguments" x 1
"No, but we should limit it" x 2

I stand by what I said, the majority of admins chiming in at that point were either supporting its removal or didn't care. You can argue that it doesn't fully cover the full nuances of the situation, but that doesn't change the facts.

And for the record, the thread isn't titled 'Serial pissflooders are becoming a problem'. It's titled 'Removing Urine' and everyone in the thread is debating about whether pee should be removed in its entirety or not. "It's actually about serial pissflooders and is being blown out of proportion' is just as much of a mischaracterization of the situation.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I wake up and there is a five page argument in the forums about removing piss. A quick scroll through shows that most of the admins posting in it have come out in favor of its removal. I post about it here, because the situation is absurd on multiple levels. At no point did garnering internet outrage points cross my mind.

Also, I just substantiated what I said, so I'm not sure why you're doubling down on calling me a liar.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Does Coolstation have a link? I have definitely been disillusioned with modern Goon, and Goon Classic sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The current rule is that AIs are free to ignore “talk like [X]” speech gimmick laws, largely because the same few people kept uploading ‘talk in owo speak’ round after round.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There's a page on doorhacking on the wiki, which is a fairly indispensable skill for getting around. Probably frowned upon on the RP server, but no one's going to bat an eyelid on main if you do it just to get out of a locked room you're stuck in.

Also, while not many players are fond of them, I actually like playing a borg and I think they're a decent option for new players. You have all-access, built-in tools, and a lot of the times people will just overlook your presence, even the antagonists. Just be prepared to follow the laws.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 3, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

yeah
you need the traitor PDA thing, which normally has 4 uses. you use it a couple of times and sniff the packet, then send the packet to all PDAs simultaneously. The issue is that the packet contains a different authorization code every round, which prevents you from recreating the packet without the traitor cartridge to lift the code from. The packet will also be garbled, so you usually have to do it a few times to be able to piece together the code.

there might be a way to do this without the cartridge, if the code is used somewhere else. There are other packets with codes you can do this with(my knowledge is somewhat out of date but I recall there being something with like, the guardbuddy packet code being the same as the one for opening doors or something like that, so if you told a guardbuddy to recharge and sniffed the packet you could then open any door or locker on the station remotely), but I don't know what else would share this code.

One time someone figured out that if you wrote a program that spammed the packet quickly enough, you could trigger the explosion multiple times before the game actually got around to deleting the PDA. They then proceeded to write a program that instagibbed everyone on the station who had PDA messaging on at one go.

It was fixed by the next round.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Haven't played this game much or thought about the community since I was banned for nebulous 'negativity' for criticizing the recent updates. Was chatting on a spinoff discord with some of the other old players, and it turns out a whole lot of them have also been banned for nebulous 'negativity' without anyone knowing, so that's the current state of the game and how you can expect any actual criticism of this 'test merge' to go.

Anyway, maybe I'll check out Coolstation sometime when it's a little more fleshed out, I think I'm done with Goon main as it stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

what a weird, stupid take, but i say that having spent a round watching a chief engineer leaving his department for a bit to go to medbay to get patched up, during which a traitor waltzed into the nuke engine, nearly caused a meltdown, and then proceeded to continue loitering (and subtly sabotaging systems) while the CE came back and was like "huh. must be the AI"

Tangentially related to the conversation at hand, but I was reminded of the early days of the Cog2 map. The Chief Engineer's office was tucked away in a little corner all the way at the back of the engine room, with fireproof equipment and a little console with (and this is key) admin access that allowed them to call and recall the shuttle. This was back in the days of hellburning, so with the right setup you could create a monstrous inferno of an engine that would cause almost everything in the vicinity to melt from the sheer heat, and would continue to rise in power output pretty much indefinitely. As a result, engineering was a nearly unassailable fortress, with the CE tucked into a cozy center where he could watch Number Go Up indefinitely.

Many, many, many rounds were extended way beyond the point where they should have ended, because even when most of the station was dead and gone (or straight up didn't exist due to an overzealous bomber), many an oblivious CE would reflexively recall the shuttle and go 'no, we don't need a shuttle, I haven't seen anything wrong', and then sit there and continue to watch Number Go Up until they were satiated for the round.